serving on a committee at church

Posted by: Dotsie

serving on a committee at church - 10/02/08 03:00 PM

I was asked to serve on a committe at our church. It's for a new contemporary service we'll begin in a few weeks. One of our tasks has been to hire a worship leader for the service. I must say, I know next to nothing about music so I was a little concerned about being involved. But I have to tell you, I've been blessed by this committee and the musicians we've auditioned and interviewed.

The gal in charge of the music piece is only 27 and I have been incredibly impressed with her leadership skills. WOW, she's something.

The people who have auditioned, for the most part, have been 20-somethings, and again, I've been impressed and touched by their maturity.

I must share that what I thought would be a little trying for me, has been a pleasant surprise for several reasons. The committee is lovely and has worked very well together (not always the case), I've listened to several young musicians who want to make a difference in the lives of others, and I've witnessed how awesome some of the 20-somethings are. It's been refreshing.
Posted by: gims

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/05/08 11:23 PM

I'm so glad you are getting to experience this. It's too bad many might not participate due to race, age, culture, faith. You're a jewel, dotsie, you truly are.
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/06/08 02:23 AM

What a great gift...for both sides of the team! Those youngsters get to see a great heart in action and realize that all "boomers" aren't the doddering enemy! What a gift, what an amazing gift.
Posted by: savvygrandmother

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/12/08 08:01 PM

I love it - that happens so often to me. The things I dread the most turn out to be the best blessings. That just goes to show we really don't know. Walking through an open door presented to us can lead to great things. Thanks for sharing.

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/12/08 09:13 PM

Yes, and the older I get, the more open doors I like to walk through. We never know what's on the other side.
Posted by: Songbird08

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/20/08 07:37 PM

Dotsie: It's important to enjoy while serving! It's a privilege and, I am so glad for you! God continues to bless and guide you and each one of his children.

Re: serving on a committee at church - 10/21/08 11:59 AM

Thanks song. We're getting closer to launching our first contemporary service. We have younger people on the ocmmittee and the title we decided on for marketing is:

Rock Ur Faith at 5:30

Not necessarily something our generation could relate to, but we're definitely trying to reach the younger generations.

Time will tell. Another meeting tonight.