Hypothyroidism

Posted by: Ellie

Hypothyroidism - 09/01/05 11:07 PM

Hi boomer buddies have not posted for awhile - life has been crazy - I have just been diagnosted with Hypothyroidism- under active thyoid - anyone know any words of wisdom on the subject
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/01/05 11:28 PM

Ellie, how did you know to get tested for hypothyroidism? I'm interested in what symptoms led you and your doctor in that direction.
Posted by: Ellie

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/02/05 12:08 AM

believe it or not it was lower digestive troubles that lead her to test me - I feel like I am tired but no more then anyone else I thought - All the symptoms fit me to a T but I thought this was the way I was suppose to feel!! LOL
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/02/05 02:50 AM

I was diagnosed with hypothryroidism years ago -- and that was the main symptom -- soooooooo tired all the time -- and I gained about 30 lbs --

I take one pill in the morning - synthroid - and its kept under control. It may take a little time to get the exact dose that works for you - but you should be feeling much better shortly after starting meds ;-)
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/02/05 04:26 AM

I'm wondering if I have that. No joke. My sister has it. I've gained over 30 pounds and no matter what I do, I can't loose it. Okay...so maybe I do over do with the Oreo's every once in a while...but not every day, k? Hm...

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/03/05 05:01 PM

Hmmm, let me check with one of my sisters. I think a BIL may have had this. It sounds too familiar.

Ellie, have they prescribed, or recommended a course of treatment?

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/03/05 05:06 PM

jawjaw, do you really buy whole packs of Oreo's? They have these great six packs you can buy. Maybe if you only bring six in the house at a time it will help. If I buy a whole package of them, I can't rest until they're gone.

The last time I bought them I put the package in the trunk of my husband's car. I ate a couple on occasion. We just cleaned out his car. I had to throw more than 2 1/2 rows away because they were getting soft. Throwing those babies away nearly killed me. I still can't believe I did it.
[Big Grin]

Ont he serious side, maybe you should mention your symptoms to your doctor.

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/03/05 06:11 PM

Oh sure...then I would wear out my car going back and forth to the grocery store to get another bag...uh huh. Someeeeebody didn't think that one thru, eh Dots?

What do you mean I missed the point?

JJ
Posted by: DJ

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/04/05 05:57 PM

ellie,
This back and forth between Dotsie and JJ is a clue -- thyroid problems are absolutely diet related. Unfortunately it's very very difficult to find a US doctor who understands the delicate balance between diet and hormones. Our medical system prefers administering drugs rather than getting to the root of health problems. But I should also say that most of us are unwilling to change our diets. It's hard to break those habits. But I know a few (very few) women who are changing their diets rather than allowing their thyroid glands to be removed.

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/04/05 06:46 PM

DJ,
You say you know a few that are changing their diets. Could you, for the benefit of anyone who might need the knowledge, expand on this? Like how are they changing it? What foods are they omitting, including, and why?

I would be very interested in knowing and I bet others would too. Perhaps you could ask them?

JJ

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/04/05 11:31 PM

DJ, I want to change my diet, and I will as soon as the kids leave home. I know I will eat less meat and potatoes.

Please share more about healthy diets. I need one!

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/04/05 11:37 PM

I have dinner often with these folks. And yes, the dinners are delicious and not bland. My friends are eating more vegetables, and some fruits, but not overdoing the fruits because of the sugars and the threat of too much potassium.

Remember that the processed food industry is the biggest industry in the US. Maybe it's convenient to buy premade items, but you have to carefully read every single label. So my friends are cooking more from scratch.

Some of what they've given up varies -- you can take individual tests to find out for sure for your own body, but here are a few of the things that folks avoid:

The biggest offenders are the chemical additives. MSG is a bad one, and it's in more foods than you realize.

Fake oils like Olestra don't even have to be listed any more, which is a crime in my opinion. Canola oil could be bad. I have to avoid safflower oil. Whatever oil you get, you probably should use organic.

Sugar and fructose -- they're in almost everything (like soup, chips and lots of drinks including juices). Nutrasweet is also bad.
Caffeine
Alcohol
Cows' milk
Hormones and antibiotics in meat and dairy.

More difficult for everyone is when they give up wheat flour which is hard for pasta lovers, but there is some decent rice pasta.

I didn't have a thyroid problem myself but had an adrenal problem, which might be a precursor to the thyroid problems. Thyroid is more severe, I think. That's when your hair starts to fall out, isn't it?

I can tell you this: my diet was much more severe as I started to recover than it is right now. I avoid cane sugar but will eat beet sugar, and the only time I do is when I eat chocolate (which is also the only caffeine I ingest now -- My prefered chocolate is a product called the Bat Bar, which is bittersweet and dark.

You can Google "thyroid and diet" for more information.

[ September 04, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: DJ ]

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/05/05 06:34 PM

Thanks DJ. I guess my problem is that I'm too lazy to make these changes. Sad, isn't it? I'd have to shp differently, get all new cook books and gain a taste for some foods I don't currently eat.

Our diet is fairly healthy due to having two diabetics in the family, but I know it could be healthier.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/05/05 10:42 PM

I also have a thyroid problem & take synthroid. I can't remember which one it is.......I do get my bloodwork done every 3 months now.

Everything seems to check out allright concerning my thyroid everytime it's tested, so nothing more is said about it. I have had a sonogram once for it & checked out ok.

My problem is I use food for comfort--and even tho I know I should be eating correctly--and no matter how hard I try to do so....I still reach for my comfort foods.....which happen to be cereal or any type of bread!!! Not easy NOT to have in the house!!!

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/06/05 02:48 AM

One of the biggest problems for women is yeast -- if you can get sour dough bread or bread made from a non-yeast starter, it'd be better. If you ever have that sick-all-over feeling, headaches, PMS -- they're often yeast-induced. If you take medications that kill the friendly flora, then yeast will flourish because antibiotics usually don't kill it.

I shop at Whole Foods and get their "rustic" bread, and have them slice it. mmmmm. They also have a fresh non-yeast raisin nut bread.

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/07/05 02:11 AM

Wow...this is all very interesting. I'm thinking I need to talk to my doc and see. I would be interested in knowing what kinds of test they do for your thyroid as well.

I've really tried to eat mostly organic foods but I'm wondering now if the local grocery stores aren't just putting up the sign "organic" in front of fruits and veggies. I'm serious.

We don't have a Farmer's market close enough to me so that I could run get fresh things, so I may just have to make a special trip to Huntsville to get them. Eating processed foods scares the beejeebees out of me after some of the articles I have read. I completely cut out fast food places, and try to only eat veggies when I DO go out.

I miss Taco Bell though. I gotta confess. And a quarter-pounder with cheese...to die for. Sadly enough, it probably is!

JJ

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/07/05 05:20 PM

jj
I used to live on potato chips, oreos and coffee with half and half and lots of sugar. For _years_. Also, my world famous brownies. Not to mention chocolate chip cookies.
I still make a killer chocolate pie -- using chocolate chips that are grain sweetened. Don't know how they make the sugar out of barley, but they do. Buy a bag of semi sweet chips and melt it with a half pint of organic cream and put in a baked pie shell. Only now and then, of course.
I didn't think I could survive without caffeine and sugar. I got off caffeine after a car accident where I bumped my head and was so dizzy I needed tests, and to do the tests you have to go off caffeine for 24 hours. What withdrawal symptoms I had -- I was so nauseated and had a killer headache. But afterwards, I was free! seriously! I had to travel with caffeinated tea bags in my purse for that emergency jolt.
Speaking of taco bell, have you seen the movie SuperSize Me?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/07/05 06:35 PM

DJ, your story about your caffeine withdrawal reminds me of a story about my Dad. Please can I butt in here and share it? I love telling Dad-stories.

My Dad was a physics teacher at a local college. A very quiet, unassuming genius of a man (a genuine rocket scientist). He'd been drinking coffee since he was a young boy working on the farm. But his doctor ordered him to give up coffee because of his high blood pressure, diabetes and heart palpitations. So Dad did. He lasted a few weeks. But one day, he just couldn't stand it anymore and went to the vending machine at school and bought himself a large coffee.

WELL, apparently, he became so giddy and "bouncy", gabbing and joking on in class, that his students thought he was drunk. They called someone else in to check him out, and Dad was so high, they had to send him home. He couldn't even drive, my brother had to go and get him.

Everyone thought it was hilarious (even my Dad) because of how very quiet and staid my Dad usually was.

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 12:18 AM

that's hilarious! It's so funny that the kids were concerned about him. Maybe that's one of the differences between the US and Canada. Probably here the students would have a field day with a giddy and joking prof.

Guess it just underscores what a powerful drug caffeine really is.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 01:23 AM

Hi Ellie: Regarding hypothyroidism, any other symptoms besides being so tired?

DJ-I agree with you, regarding diet and health problems.
I was diagnosed with HYPERthyroidism-the opposite- 10 yrs. ago. I was in totally bad shape, back then (long story). But, in my case, the doctor insisted it was not diet related. I believe it was more stress-related [Confused] (in my case).

I've been a vegeterian since I was a child. Hardly eat out and always eat home-cooked meals, even the desserts are homemade(were, cause I don't have 'em any more) . I don't drink sodas. Juice, rarely. Use whole grain breads, etc.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 04:50 AM

DJ--what you said totally described me!!!
I really have to sit down & research all my ailments. I have to change my diet because I might be diabetic---I may as well look into all my ailments & see which would be best.

Speaking of Oreos.....( my last doggies name!)
Has anyone tried the new 100 calorie packs?!! Or is it just not worth it?!!! [Embarrassed] Kind of like those fat free cookies...where the box tastes better than the cookie?!

GIRL SCOUT COOKIE SEASON IS COMING!!!!:)Has anyone else discovered that Keebler brand of cookies taste quite close to GS ones?!!! [Smile]

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 06:47 AM

Songbird
how did you treat your thyroid problem?
Kay B
I quit buying GS cookies when they started watering them down -- it's been a while now. But I remember one year I was so looking forward to the thin mints or the peanut butter cookies and they were so darn bland. It made me angry, so I quit buying them. Now I don't eat cane sugar anyway so it's not an issue.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 09:06 PM

DJ- I was put on medication, which was changed due to side effects. I was given the second and only choice available then. I had to visit the Dr. regularly and have a blood test each month.
But I decided to stop going after some time-(Not that I'm proud of my decision).

But I had a long way to go getting better. I had a hard time getting out of bed, cause I was exhausted- And I've never been a couch potato. My kids were between 6-10. My metabolism was working so fast that I couldn't even write a word or two.

The worst part is that my spouse was never able or willing to understand what I was going through and it almost cost me my marriage. I don't wish this for anyone!

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 09:34 PM

quote:
But, in my case, the doctor insisted it was not diet related.
That's the problem with doctors in this country!!!!!
They're trained to look at symptoms then put a bandaid on the symptoms, basically. After years of trying to get myself feeling right, I think that medical science (again, msotly in Australia and New Zealand) has finally come up with some answers. And guess what -- it ALL seems to be diet related! Now we have to seek out the doctors that have studied nutrition, or at least who are willing to admit that they didn't learn all the answers in med school.

The digestive, immuno, and endocrine systems have to be in balance. If one's out of whack, then the others get out of whack. Certainly our hormones change, so that can upset things and maybe we can't control our hormones. But we can control our diets. Statistics show that American women have more problems with PMS and various female cancers than other women in the world. We also have a cuisine that's dominated by the food processing industry. So, I decided to fight back. I'm healthier now than I've been probably in my entire life (yes, I grew up eating jello and dessert every night).

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 11:27 PM

DJ, you are so good about controlling your diet. I want to, but have such a tough time making the changes. Old habits die hard. I'm glad to hear you grew up eating jello and dessert. There's hope!

Lately I've heard of people hiring nutritionists. Maybe that's the way to go.

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/08/05 11:44 PM

Maybe one of the reasons I've been willing to discipline myself to change eating habits is that I'm hyper sensitive to medications -- they usually keep me awake. Even Aleve, and Belladonna and other stuff that's been prescribed for me to sleep. So finally I decided that I love to sleep as much as I love to eat, and sometimes I love it even more -- especially when I'm super tired and am teaching 3 90-minute classes in a row. Doing that after only sleeping an hour a night would probably drive anyone to desperation. When I started to see results, as my sleeping improved, I was sold. And now my taste buds have adjusted so that artifically sweetened foods are _way_ too sweet for me. Not only that, I've discovered so many wonderful new taste sensations that I never tried before.
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/11/05 05:24 PM

I suffered from hypothrodism for YEARS and my blood tests were always "normal." Yet my hair was falling out, I was always cold, and I gained a horrid amount of weight. Then I found an MD who's also an alternative health doctor and he diagnosed me with hypotyroidism based on my symptoms, not a blood test. The main test, he said, is if your hands are always cold. Mine were.

He put me on medication and within a few months my hair stopped falling out, I lost 25 pounds, and I didn't have to sleep as much.

The blood test for hypothroidism doesn't work. I don't understand why most physicians insist on basing a diagnosis on that.

He also gave me some supplements to help boost my adrenals, and that helped, too. There's a great book out on Adrenal Fatigue, don't recall the author off-hand, but it came out about 2 years ago and described me to a T.

Kelly
Posted by: Bookie

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/22/05 01:51 AM

Ladies
I've seen so many lives ruined and ended because of misdiagnosis and precription drugs that doctors dole out unsparingly. So I've become a true believer in trying natural remedies first. And top on the list is a change in diet.

There is an interesting article in the September 5th issue of "First" magazine that made so much sense to me that I decided to put their test to the test. It's working! I've lost seven pounds in the last 2 weeks and I haven't been able to lose more than 2 lbs a month for the last year and keep it off. I would hardly eat and I would lose 2 and gain 5 or so it seemed. Here is the gist of the article:
Even though your lab tests indicate a healthy thyroid, it doesn't mean that your thyroid is working up to speed. A sluggish thyroid as you know slows the metobolic process.
Try these strategies for a week. They are "designed to reveal even minor thyroid slowdowns(the kind blood tests consistently miss) If a slightly sluggish gland is to blame for your wieght problems these four steps will immediately begin to repair and restore your thyroid so it can function at its natural, healthy peak. And the changes will be dramatic:"

1. Eat at least one cup of fresh fruit or vegetables at every meal.

2. Limit soy to protect metabolism boositing hormones: No more than 9 oz. soy milk, 5 oz tofu or 3 tsp soy sauce or miso daily. The reason they prevent nutrients such as iodine and tyrosine(amino acid)that your body uses to produce thryoid hormones (T3 & T4) from doing their job.

3. Consume one serving of protein at every meal to make sure your body gets a steady supply of tyrosine. (1 oz nuts, 8 oz milk or yogurt, 1 egg, or 1 Tbs peanut butter or 4 oz poultry, meat or fish.)

4. Elimate these foods from you diet - Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips and other cruciferous veggies. These veggies contain Goitrogens and are so poerful that they can even trigger a full blown goiter (enlarged thyroid gland) and they interfer with the absorption of iodine. Other goitrogens: pine nuts, cassava (tapioca)sweet potatoes and lima beans.

Be sure to drink at least six 8 oz glasses of water daily which will flush out the metabolic wastes produced when body fat is burned for fuel. Otherwise you may experience a lot of bloating.

This article also suggests reading "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat" Autor is Sanford Siegal, MD

Hope you find this information useful
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/22/05 05:15 AM

Bookie,
I wonder if they caused my 3 1/2 cn thyroid goitor cyst on my right lobe . I hate Broccili anyway . Love cabbage some of these are suppose to prevent cancer . So, what to do!
Posted by: Bookie

Re: Hypothyroidism - 09/22/05 06:43 AM

Nancy

I know what mean about "what to do!". So much conflicting information. Next month or next year somebody might tell us differently yet again. Personally I love broccoli and included it in many of the meals I consume and prepare. I've actually missed having it and coleslaw. I love coleslaw! But if eliminating these things from my diet helps me to get this extra weight off then I can live without it.

Over the last six years I have battled the weight gain and it all started when I had radiation treatments for squamous cell cancer on my nose. Along with all the other nerve damage to my face and right eye from radiation, I am convinced that it is all related.