What are you reading?

Posted by: Dianne50

What are you reading? - 04/16/09 04:48 PM

I'm still pretty new to this network, but love being a part of it. What are you all reading?

I just finished "The Centurian's Wife" by Davis Bunn & Janettee Oke

I'd also like to recommend my own novella (if that's okay. It's getting good reviews and reactions. It's called "Rebekah Redeemed." You can learn more about it at: Rebekah Redeemed If I'm not supposed to do this - sorry.
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: What are you reading? - 04/16/09 05:26 PM

I'm on my second read of "The Shack" and first read of "True Purpose"....loving both of them.
Posted by: CuteSnoop

Re: What are you reading? - 04/16/09 05:51 PM

I have many books beside the bed. The one I am reading steadily is "Never Give Up" by Joyce Meyer.
Posted by: Marci

Re: What are you reading? - 04/17/09 12:17 AM

Just finished Embrace Me by Lisa Samson. Loved it and will read more of her books. She's going to be the main speaker at a writers' conference where I'm also teaching this weekend. Looking forward to meeting her. smile
Posted by: KathleenGageSpeaker

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/09 12:50 AM

Really liked the Shack. Right now I have several books going.

1. Twitter Power
2. Facebook Marketing
3. The Power of Decisions
4. West Nile Diary
5. Power of Intention

Okay, that's all I am going to list or you might think I'm a bit obsessive. Aghhh, heck... who cares.... I am obsessive and love it. grin
Posted by: yonuh

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/09 03:01 AM

I just finished "Haunting Bombay" by Shilpa Agarwal and am now reading Steve Wiegand's "The Mental Floss History of the World"; "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb; "The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How To Do" by Samantha Ettus; "The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging"; and "World Wide Rave" by David Meerman Scott. I always have at least one fiction book going with one or more non-fiction books and take turns reading a chapter here and there from each.
Posted by: Kathryn Magendie

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/09 04:54 PM

I just completed "The Unbreakable Child" by Kim Richardson -
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/09 08:13 PM

Dianne 50, your link doesn't work.
Posted by: Madelaine

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/09 09:05 PM

I just finished "My Jim" by Nancy Rawles. It's a narration by the fictional wife of the slave Jim from the novel "Huckleberry Finn" written by Mark Twain. It's a lot more realistic than the old story, and talks of heartbreak, racism; the conditions of slavery in the south, and yet, there's also some hope and positive energy, because the grand daughter is FREE.
Makes me want to go back and read Huckleberry Finn again, as an adult.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: What are you reading? - 04/26/09 05:10 PM

Madelaine I'll have to look up the book "My Jim". I love Twain's Huck Finn. I re-read it again not to long ago and I think it still stands up. You can definitely see the times so it would be interesting to see the story from her point of view. So very glad you posted it here.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/27/09 09:41 PM

Just read Emma and Me by E Flock. I enjoyed the voice of the narrator, but needed a bit more hope...and the ending felt rushed. Good writing, though!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: What are you reading? - 04/29/09 01:37 PM

Kathyrn, I'm really getting in to your book and am totally enjoying it. It reminds me a bit of The Glass Castle whicih I devoured. Have you read that?
Posted by: Poppie

Re: What are you reading? - 05/01/09 02:38 PM

hundreds of back threads in .B.W.S land for all the wee poems and short dtories I have posted in bws from I joined...I rarely kept any copies but I am gonna be needing those litt;e nuggets oh some stuff!!!
If you got on personally from me would you do me favour and send a copy to me plz.

oh sorry, me manners!!

Hello Sweet Sisters..hope all are well.
big loves

Poppie
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: What are you reading? - 05/01/09 09:47 PM

Poppie, I still have one of yours hanging on the bulletin board right beside my computer...I still read it at least once or twice a week. I'll send you that one if you need it (Triumph and Resurrection). I'll check through my PM's as well...I think I've kept every poem you've ever sent me. I'll send them back.
Posted by: gims

Re: What are you reading? - 05/02/09 05:47 AM

Currently reading:

Love Without End by Green (just started)

Unchristian:what a new generation really thinks about Christianity and why it matters by Kinnaman and Lyons (mid-way)

The divided mind:the epidemic of mindbody disorders by Sarno (just started)

Crazy Love by Chan (started this one, but have put on hold, as I fear I'll have to provide a book report to the one who so lovingly gave it to me to read -- need to concentrate while reading, in other words)

Reflexology: Health at your fingertips by Kunz (pick it up for a quick fix --- reading and rereading, as desired)

God's Problem by Ehrman (just finishing up)

Re: What are you reading? - 05/02/09 10:57 AM

Hey gims. Good to see you again. I'll be loking around to hear how Mom's doing.
Posted by: Poppie

Re: What are you reading? - 05/03/09 04:07 PM

Tjanks EH, your a wee gem for helping me to pull a substantial ammount of work back

Poppie

Re: What are you reading? - 05/04/09 02:20 PM

gims, I wish we lived closer for many reasons. We could book share. I's be interested in all the books you're reading except the reflexology one. Not sure why, but haven't gotten in to that yet.
Are you learning aything about it that's worth sharing?

I just finished: Resting in Him: I need to slow down, but I can't. It's a Women of Faith study book. I highly recommend it. It's allowing me to make slow changes toward slowing down.

Emerging Trends Every Online Entrepreneur Must Know - just getting in to this one. Haven't read enough to comment.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - My youngest son gave this to me for my birthday. Unfortunately, I'm having to think too much to get in to it, but I'm hanging in there.

Tender Graces, by Kathryn Magendie (our Kathryn Magendie)
This is the book I keep trying to steal away to read. I can't wait to see what happens to the children I've come to love among the pages. This is an incredibly well written, face paced book about a dysfunctional family trying to make the most of life. You'll laugh and cry at their antics, wish you could kidnap the children and at time, smack the adults. Alcohol is at the root of the dysfunction.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/04/09 02:21 PM

Kathleen, I appreciate your comment about being obsessive. I got a chuckle out of that. I also read several books at a time. Typically, fiction, non-fiction, and a faith based book.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/04/09 10:14 PM

Oh! I'm so glad I came by to see this, Dotsie! blush I've been so stressed...trying to work on the second book, this that and the other getting in the way to distract me!

This just made me smile - thank you! smile
Posted by: underwearmaven

Re: What are you reading? - 05/05/09 09:30 PM

Hi all, My Fiction picks:
1. I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I was born in Georgia and grew up in North Carolina. My Mom's from Jackson Miss and Dad's from Jasper Ala so this one really hit home. It's about black maids in Mississippi in the early 1960's. Some of you guys cracked me up with comments about some people in Turkey because you would have been fired in my former Corporate America world. So maybe it's not a pick for a discussion but I still think it's a good read.
2. The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Settenfield I think it makes a great summer light read.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 01:21 AM

The new 112 page soft cover book by Jimmy Gillentine called
Of Blood and the Moon. It is a suspense thriller and what a book, I just got it yesterday and can't put it down.
Posted by: Di

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 01:23 AM

I am reading the story of John Wayne. Interesting.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 01:59 PM

I finished our Kathryn Magendie's book and loved it. I felt like I'd lost a few friends when I finished. Her writing style is incredibly good ladies. I'm not kidding. I can't recall reading a book that has such fun dialogue and such endearing children. Loved it.

chatty, one fo the next books I'm reading is one you suggested, Voluntary Madness. It's about the woman who checked herself in to the psychiatric ward, though she isn't mentally ill. I can't wait to read it. The author is Norah Vincent. She also wrote the book, which I didn't read but heard about, Self-Made Man wehre she goes undercover as a man. Sounds like a really neat investigative journalist. I'll let you know what I think.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 02:02 PM

I read Kathryn S's THE HELP and reviewed it for Osondu Booksellers review site smile

I'm between books. Looking forward to the next one. Just read a collection of stories called "Married to the Military" by Terry Rollins. Not my usual kind of reading, but she is a local writer and I happened to walk in the bookstore while she was sitting there at a table with books, so I bought one to support another writer. It read quickly. It read more like "essays" than short stories, but the stories were poignant.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 03:05 PM

Just read:

Per Petterson...Out Stealing Horses
Sandra Dallas...Prayers For Sale
Curtiss Ann Matlock...Chin Up, Honey

Going to read next:

Susuan Weed....New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way: Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90.

And going to re-read...

M. Scott Peck and Don Miguel Ruiz books that I have on my bookshelf.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 09:19 PM

Dotsie, you are in for a real treat. Nora is a wonderfully different kind of writer in ever sense of different...

Re: What are you reading? - 05/06/09 10:28 PM

Dots, I wish we were closer, too, for many reasons besides book sharing.

Here's a website WEB OF DEBT for a quick read, if unable to read the book, WEB of DEBT. Girls, I'm not a gloom and doomER, but I AM ONE WHO BELIEVES we're in for a rough storm... really rough. Like I tell my daughters, 'don't get caught up in hysteria, but be informed.'

Re: What are you reading? - 05/07/09 06:22 PM

gims, I jsut sent this link to my son to see if it's a book he'd like to read. I think he might. Thanks.

chatty, I've only read about 15 pages, but I think I'm going to love it. Did you read her first book?

cookie, how is prayers for sale? Sounds interesting. And please keep me posted on Susan Weed's book. I should probably read that one if you like it.

I love hearing what others are reading.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/07/09 08:33 PM

I try to read everything written by an authors work I am fond of.
Posted by: Plains Woman

Re: What are you reading? - 05/12/09 02:02 PM

I'm so glad to find BWS Book Club.

I hadn't heard of Norah Vincent but I think I'll give her a try. Her books sound intriguing.

This time of year I mostly read light fiction. In the winter when I have more time to read I get into deeper subjects.

Right now I'm ready to start the new Diane Mott Davidson, Fatally Flaky.

On my mp3 I have Tracie Peterson's, Land of My Heart, downloading as I write.

Does anyone listen to audio books? I used to listen to cassettes, then CD's and now I download them right from the library to my computer at home. Really slick!

Re: What are you reading? - 05/12/09 06:06 PM

Aren't you tech savvy. You go girl. I don't listen to books. The only time I did that was when the kids were little and we traveled a bit. It was a great way to keep them occupied.

I love holding a book in my hand, marking it up, taking notes, etc. That's why I don't ever think I'll use a Kindle, but am looking in to it for hubby. He has mentioned he might use one.

I also have a thing for saving the books I read. It's ridiculous. Buying books is one of my weaknesses. It's funny because my 24 year-old son is the same way. This weekend, he said, "I think I need another bookshelf." Heaven help him. I said, "Either that or get rid os some." He didn't respond. He also gets attached to his books. He lends them to Ross all the time, then when Ross is finished he gets them right back to him. What a hoot.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/12/09 11:14 PM

I love books too. I've never tried a Kindle but can't imagine cuddling up to it like I do a good book.

I listen to audio books as I walk, working around the house or whenever my hands are busy but my mind can wander. There are some authors like Grisham, Baldacci, etc. that I never read but listen to on my mp3. Then there are the special authors that I like to cuddle up with their books and enjoy.

I seldom buy books. Working at the library I have input on what we buy so I check them out there. Our library also has no fines so life is good! smile

Tech savvy, me? That makes me smile! smile My husband figures it all out and then shows me how to do it.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/13/09 12:17 AM

Hi Plains Woman, I must be the audio book queen - I am so audio in learning preferences that it's weird. Most of the world favors visional learning followed by "feeling" learning and audio is a far 3rd. I usually listen to nonfiction but check in here for good reads both fiction and non fiction that I wouldn't know to select but love the "listen". I know and enjoy the Mott series and use it for beach reading and total relaxation. sincerely, Lea

Re: What are you reading? - 05/13/09 12:19 AM

Hi again Plains Women, Water for Elephants was one of the best audio books I've heard. I highly recommend it and I learned about it from this forum.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/13/09 12:35 PM

Hi Underwearmaven, love that name! Anyway, I read Water for Elephants a couple of years ago and you're right, it was good.

In the last few years I've probably listened to as many or more books than I've read. When I started listening in 1990 the only books availiable were things like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" or an old Jack Benny show type thing. It's really come a long ways since then. You can get everything in audio now.

Do you check out/buy cd's or do you download through your library on the internet?

Re: What are you reading? - 05/13/09 02:38 PM

Plains, Grisham and Baldacci are two of my son and husband's favorite authors. They've read them all and are always psyched to get their hands on the latest.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/14/09 03:35 PM

Ann asked me to post this for her because she can't get into the site right now.

I could tell there is a discussion about a new book, but my internet is funny at the moment. I would like to toss in a book
The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. It's a short, beautiful book written by Jean-Dominique Bauby. He was a former editor of Elle Magazine, French edition. He had a stroke and spent the last two years of his life writing this reflection on living.

I am loving the positive energy that comes through each page.

Ann

Re: What are you reading? - 05/14/09 03:46 PM

Maybe we could do it for the book club. WE all need positive energy.

How is Ann?
Posted by: Rachel2

Re: What are you reading? - 05/14/09 09:03 PM

The book I'm reading now is "Wasted" by Mark Johnson. It's an autobiography of an abuse survivor. Since I am thinking of writing my own abuse surviver story, I was told it would be beneficial to read others and get an idea of how some are written. So I am...lol.

But I could definately get into some positive energy in my life-never can have to much because its a great well to draw from when you need a pick me up.
Posted by: crazymom

Re: What are you reading? - 05/15/09 01:38 AM

Charles Swindoll is my favorite author. I think I've read everything he's written. I have journals filled with his wise words that I've copied out of his books. A few of my favorites are "Living Above the Level of Mediocrity", "Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life", "Improving Your Serve", and "Laugh Again". Right now I am re-reading his book "Stress Fractures."

“I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position. Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress. It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope. When my attitudes are right, there is no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.”
Charles R. Swindoll
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What are you reading? - 05/15/09 11:22 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. Each day when I awake, I thank God for allowing me another day, then I tell myself it's going to be a great day. That's my choice. Call it hokey, whatever; but my mother has done this her entire life, and goes so far as to open the front door and shout, "Morning World!" She does so with zest and a full heart.

What a great author!

Re: What are you reading? - 05/15/09 01:36 PM

JJ, I remember you sharing this about your Mom a long time ago...and now, every single morning, I remember your Mom, and it ALWAYS helps me rise and shine and greet the world with gladness. I've even managed to open my blinds and silently shout my own "Morning world" and give thanks to God for another beautiful day. Your Mom has touched my heart and helped me more than you will ever know!

Re: What are you reading? - 05/15/09 07:21 PM

I'm reading "Blessings" by Anna Quindlen - I love this book! I am thoroughly engaged and love the characters...
Posted by: AmyDoodle

Re: What are you reading? - 05/16/09 12:24 AM

Okay, at the risk of seeming less than esoteric, I'm reading The Sweet Potato Queens Wedding Planner and Divorce Guide. Because sometimes you just gotta laugh.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: What are you reading? - 05/17/09 01:18 AM

Hello. I read "Still Alice" about Alzheimer's from the patient's perspective. It's a novel, but the author says she felt a responsibility to be as accurate as possible in defining the evolution of the disease. I also read "Tragedy in Tin Can Holler" a true story about generational domestic violence. Now I am reading "People of the Lie" by M. Scott Peck. Want to hear a weird story? When I came home after visiting my mother and step f, my mind urged me to get "People of the Lie" off my book shelf. So I did, and I set it by my chair without opening it. The next day I told myself that I did not know why I picked up that book, and I put it back on my shelf. Today I was talking to a friend about my visit with my mom and step f, and my friend said, "Have you read People of the Lie? I think it would be beneficial to you now." So, of course, I ran back to the shelf while I was still on the phone with her to re-collect the book. Dotsie, I get attached to my books too, and carry them around, like a pet! Off to read ... Lynn

Re: What are you reading? - 05/22/09 02:49 PM

oh man isnt that good. I have just finished that , definately brought me up. have in my personal library , start your new life in christ ( think thats the name, its at home and I'm going off memory, ) I even go to her web site and get sermons and quotes.

Rachel
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What are you reading? - 05/22/09 05:04 PM

Princess
I have used Scott Pecks books for ongoing growth..and agree that People of the Lie is excellent.
The Different Drum likewise...and as a source for counselling study along with Carl Rogers and Eric Berne Scott Peck is a great source.
But in everyday interaction and my own wellbeing I believe Scott Peck has been my guru..
As for the facial expressions noted in the first mentioned book I agree and add that the colour of complexion can give show inheld trauma when speaking to a troubled person.
Just as "The teacher appears when the student is ready" I seem to find books in my own journey in an amazing way..

Elisabeth Kulber Ross as a model is another good friend to me and of course C.S.Lewis
Books and more books...my good friends.
Mountain ash

Re: What are you reading? - 07/22/09 09:54 PM

I just closed the covered of the book "The Secrets of Happily Married women " By Scott Haltzman , M.D and Theresa Foy DiGeronimo

Re: What are you reading? - 07/23/09 06:55 PM

How was it? I like the title. Here's a lonk for those interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Happily-Ma...5246&sr=1-1

I'm reading a couple books, but enjoying Firefly Lane. More than half finished.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/23/09 10:07 PM

Reading Catering to Nobody, Diane Mott Davidson.

I love murder mysteries/lady sleuths!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: What are you reading? - 07/24/09 12:16 AM

The Wishing Year by Noelle Oxenhandler - Memoir about how she learned to wish and got 3 wishes in one year. Fascinating, she relates wishing to praying and includes many religions.

Just finished the most recent Laurell K. Hamilton book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels - SKIN TRADE. 18 books in the series. I'm bespelled.

The Help by Kathryn Stocket. Loved it.

Losing myself or avoidig reality in books?

Re: What are you reading? - 07/24/09 01:05 PM

Saundra, either works. I enjoy exploring another world when I read; the great escape.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/27/09 01:29 AM

Just finished Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah and can't wait to discuss it in our book club. It was on the NYTimes Bestseller list for months.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/31/09 05:34 PM

Losing myself again, Dotsie.

The Drunkard's Walk - How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow. Stephen Hawking claims it's readable. I guess it is if you're Stephen Hawking!

It's pretty interesting. I understand parts of it and it's making me feel better about myself and the choices I've made. It's about chance, randomness, and probability in relation to luck, the butterfly effect (discovered in the 60s by a meteorologist), and and psychological illusions.

This one will take a lifetime.
Posted by: orchid

Re: What are you reading? - 07/31/09 08:58 PM

I'm straddling between 2 bks. So it takes time to savour each:

The Craftsman. By Richard Sennett. Bk. is a philosophical examination of craftsmanship, history and social impact on craftsmanship due to industrialization (=mass production), globalization (outsourcing) and free enterprise. For instance, he talks about the true craftsperson who just like to perfect their work for perfection sake. But forget the end result. He uses the example the creation of the atomic bomb as an example! References to skill of patient diagnosis by doctors and nurses if there is time and no push to be cost-efficient, vs. the revolving door of patient care treatment efficiencies. So lots of different ways of examing "craftsmanship" and what we now value/don't value as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Prof-Ric...3214&sr=1-1

sample bk. Review
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Prof-Ric...rBy=addFourStar

One Foot in Laos. By Dervla Murphy. She is a prolific Irish cyclist an hiker. Has written travelogues over past 20 yrs. In this one she hikes, takes local bus and tries to do some biking after having hurt her foot. She is over 70 or late 60's in this trip.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Foot-Laos-Derv...3413&sr=1-1
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: What are you reading? - 07/31/09 10:53 PM

Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons, is what I'm reading at the moment.

Dotise, I think I read Firefly Lane, but I'm not 100% positive.
Posted by: Olgraymare

Re: What are you reading? - 08/01/09 03:20 PM

I've been reading this really off the wall fiction book called Lambs of God by a well known Aussie author (lady) named Marele Day. 1998, Riverhead Books-Penguin Putnam.
It is so different and crazy that it's interesting/entertaining. It's about 3 nuns who've been living in an almost forgotten about monastery on a remote (beautiful) island. Two of them are fairly old, and one is young, as she was an abandoned on their doorstep infant, so was raised by the nuns. They are kept company in their secluded life by a herd of sheep that helps to sustain them (their meat and wool). One day, a priest comes calling, fighting his way through the jungle-like growth that has even further isolated the place. He barely can believe his eyes that there are nuns still living in this mess of a run down compound. His mission is to assess the condition of the land, buildings, and etc., for (what else?) development into a fancy resort, though he keeps this info to himself, making out like he's just there on a social call. The nuns may be old and isolated, but they ain't stupid. Let the contest begin!

It's very entertaining in an odd way, although some of it is rather dark. The women characters are strong, independent, spiritual, practical, smart, unique, rough/tough.

Re: What are you reading? - 08/03/09 02:40 PM

We've got quite a list going here.

I'm almost finished Manic, A Memoir, by Terri Cheney. Several people we know have received a bipolar diagnosis within the past few years so I've been reading a bit about it. Plus, it was a free book given to me by the publisher. Here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Manic-Memoir-Terri...0405&sr=8-2

Re: What are you reading? - 08/03/09 04:34 PM

Reading now:
The Summer Kitchen by Lisa Wingate
Henry's Sisters by Cathy Lamb
Now & Then by Jacqueline Sheehan

Re: What are you reading? - 08/05/09 08:13 PM

Hello Ladies, I just finished Free by Chris Anderson. I enjoyed it. It's about how folks like Google can give away software and still make money through ads. Or how Craig's List has killed the classified business from the old traditional newspapers. He talks about bites being free and atoms costing money and why it works for some and is really bad for others.
I tested Google's free phone directory assistance 1-800-GooG- 411 and not only did it give me my business number free but also connected me. I shared this with my 22 year old daughter and she reminded me that her phones connected to the internet so all she does is search and punch.

I'm going to follow up and read some of the lighter ideas from this forum as I've enjoyed them all and it's educational to stay diverse.

bye!

You can download a digital audio book from Audible for a limited time FREE of any Charge here http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/product...UseBVCookie=Yes Here's the Amazon link for the book http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Radica...8711&sr=8-1

(Not sure if my links will work - I guess I need to learn how to make them shorter like Dotsie's. Maybe the Software Maven or Jaw Jaw can fix them if they don't work. Please.... thanks
Posted by: Anno

Re: What are you reading? - 08/05/09 09:45 PM

I am reading The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad. Asne is a Norwiegen journalist who lived with a middle class family near Kabul, Afghanistan. I am really enjoying it, especially after having read and discussed Three Cups of Tea, earlier this year. I can only say that the more I read about families in Afghanistan, the more I am grateful for being born into this country. What a difficult life, for everyone, but especially women.

Re: What are you reading? - 08/05/09 09:49 PM

Oh, and a quick reminder that we will be discussing Firefly Lane in September, shortly after labor day. It's an interesting read about two girls who are best friends and how they maintain that friendship through all of life's good and bad. Pick it up and join us!

Re: What are you reading? - 08/05/09 11:11 PM

Dear Underwearmaven, FREE is on my list. I just got Chris Anderson's 1st book, "The Long Tail, Why the Future of Business Is Selling Less of More" exploring advertising models online.

Do you know he coined the term "The Long Tail?"

It's not in book form - it's 7 CDs. I'll never get through those. I need it in book form. Back to the library...

Re: What are you reading? - 08/06/09 12:04 AM

Hi Saundra, I did learn that he coined The Long Tail and started it as blogs or articles in Wired magazine. I think you can buy Free but he charges for it because it's in atom form and not digital bits. I liked The Long Tail but learned more from Free.
2. I tried to get with you earlier about a signed copy of your book. My husband is a dentist and I thought it would be cool to have one or several. It was in my early Forum learning stage so who knows what or where I sent the note.
3. Anyway, if you still have copies maybe you can send me a private message on how I can buy with your signature.
Posted by: KathyC

Re: What are you reading? - 08/07/09 02:12 AM

I'm currently reading "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" - that's how I found this site.

And I love Kris Radish. She writes awesome stories for women.

Re: What are you reading? - 08/07/09 04:16 PM

Hi underwearmaven. Thank you so much for asking about my book. I have a copy for your husband and will send you a private message.
Posted by: JacquelineSeewal

Re: What are you reading? - 09/20/09 05:43 PM

I enjoy reading mystery and romance, and I write them as well.
Most current reads that I particularly enjoyed: Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz, Tribute by Nora Roberts--two fine romantic suspense novels. Death and the Lit Chick by G. M. Malliet (cozy mystery), The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith (literary mystery). These are all books I would recommend.
I am currently finishing Mary Balogh's Seducing an Angel. This is part of a series set in Regency England. I am particularly fond of Regency romance.

Jacqueline Seewald
THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star/Gale 2009

Re: What are you reading? - 09/20/09 06:21 PM

I'm reading "The Fixer Upper" by Mary Kay Andrews. Just finished reading AGAIN, Lewis Grizzard, "Life is like a dogsled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes." And yes, that's a title. He was so humorous!

I'm beginning, "Project Renewment," by Bernice Bratter and Helen Dennis, and I'm also in the middle of "Get Off the Couch, Potato," by Kathi Casey (and really liking it), and have others lined up. So many hours, so many books...

Re: What are you reading? - 09/20/09 11:41 PM

The obituaries to see if anyone has bitten the dust I know.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/20/09 11:50 PM

Ha, ha, Chatty, that's funny! I just finished The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, about the women of the House of York during the Wars of the Roses. This is the first of 3 she is writing about that period. Next I will read Dan Brown's new book that just came out; I loved The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, and I've heard this new one is even better.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/21/09 01:28 AM

yonuh, my local book club is reading The White Queen, but I'm pretty much a drop-out because I do so much reading for work. And my son is reading Dan Brown's new book. My husband will read it next.

I'm reading The Three Wishes and really enjoying it.
Posted by: mcastrey

Re: What are you reading? - 09/21/09 03:55 PM

I'm new too and enjoying feeling connected from my desk to so many great women.
I just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, my book club's pick for this month. I resisted it -- don't know what I thought it would be, based on the title. I held out for about 20 pages, then was swept away. Feeling a little sick on the couch helped to keep me focused, and I read it straight through. I love the way the author used the light touch of brief letters to tell a story that could have been overwhelmingly heartbreaking and agonizing. And a happy ending, too. I recommend it.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/21/09 05:44 PM

Maggie, we read that book for the BWS Book Club. I never would have picked it up if the ladies here hadn't recommended it. I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Loved the leter writing style and the characters were so real.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/21/09 11:01 PM

I am waiting for my copy of the next BWS book club book to arrive, and reading Lisa See's latest book, Shanghai Girls. Ladies, if you love a good story, character development, great writing AND, learning about another culture, you must, simply must check out Lisa See.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/22/09 01:28 PM

Anno, I loved Shanghai Girls. I read Guernsey after the book club recommended it and loved it, too.

Just finished Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson & Richard Dilallo. Fans of Patterson's Detective Alex Cross will enjoy this story about Alex's great-uncle Abraham and his daughter, Moody, set in the era of President Roosevelt and the KKK.
Posted by: neenee

Re: What are you reading? - 09/23/09 05:12 PM

I just read an incredible book. It's called Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven. The author's last name is Gilman, and it is a memoir. It tells of 2 young girls on a round the world trip and SOMETHING happens. Can't say what!

Re: What are you reading? - 09/23/09 05:20 PM

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Posted by: Erica Miner

Re: What are you reading? - 09/23/09 09:32 PM

Just wanted to mention The Time Traveler's Wife. It took me forever to get into it because of the complexities of the time frame, but ultimately I really enjoyed it and thought the author's writing style was quite brilliant at times.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/28/09 05:44 PM

I find it amusing that so many of us read several books at a time.

Now reading:
The Wishing Year (almost finished)
One Year to an Organized Work Life, by Regina Leeds
Soft Sell Marketing, by Judith Sherven

Re: What are you reading? - 09/28/09 10:25 PM

I am reading BRAIN GAMES by Elkhonon Goldberg, Ph.D. It's about how to lower your brains age in just minutes a day.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/28/09 10:34 PM

That's odd, my kids say mine has been lowered for years....they also say I have the attention span of a gnat...oh look, a bird!

But what do they know?

Re: What are you reading? - 09/28/09 10:57 PM

JJ, I think you'd like this book cause you love puzzles. It is filled with mental type puzzles and exercises that really make you think. Some are easier than others, some are real ball busters. These exercises are suppose to LOWER your brains age to when it was young, not at all fuzzy in our thinking or foregetful... It works.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/30/09 08:39 PM

I just finished The Magician's Assistant, a great story and well written book with an unusual love story.

Before that I read The Abstinence Teacher, perhaps one of the stupidest books I have read in quite some time.

I read more than one book at a time, but only if they are different genres. Otherwise I get way too confused.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/30/09 09:17 PM

Would you believe that Ann Patchett was here in town last week and I didn't go see/hear her? I'm such a ninny.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/04/09 05:40 PM

chatty, sounds like an interesting book. Is it a workbook?

Re: What are you reading? - 10/06/09 12:29 AM

It's 190 pages of mind teasing puzzles, with the answers all in the back of the book. It is amazingly hard and challenging to the mind...

Re: What are you reading? - 10/07/09 03:44 PM

I just finished Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani.

I enjoyed it very much. A 34-year old italian woman living with her grandmother and apprenticing as a shoemaker in the family business since 1903 finds love and her true passion as an artist.

This is the 1st book I've read by this author and I'll check out others.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/14/09 09:45 PM

I found this new book that is a must read for PURE ENJOYMENT, called:

The Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women
by Susie Toronto, popular author and illustrator.

Its 12 captivating chapters, of stories, poems and even recipes, from and based on real women. Reading this book you'll experience laughter, tears and every emotion in between. Hardcover, fully illustrated in color and it's a mere $19.95

Re: What are you reading? - 10/16/09 03:52 PM

I'm still reading The Craftsman, as described earlier.
http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191716&page=6

But now, I have something more urgent to complete reading that I've committed for a book review to be published in a work-related journal. It's a law book on insurance for commercial leases. Totally thrilling. crazy

Followed by another book I committed to read and write for another book review to be published in few months later next year. Another law book on electronic documentation, court trial and electonic discovery...actually a hot topic among some folks in the legal world. Strange as this may seem, I look forward to the latter not the former book

I have to tend my career....this activity is part of it.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/25/09 12:53 AM

THE EMOTION CODE
by
Dr. Bradley E. Nelson

This book has been named the book to read when suffering from any type of deep depression/stress. This book explains the very strong mind/body connection. It is fascinating and a real help in healing ones own self. I highly recommend it.
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: What are you reading? - 10/25/09 02:31 AM

I am currently reading a book I have read before. I find while reading it, everything makes sense. The book is "Your Word is Your Wand", by Florence Scovel Schinn and is just one of a few wonderful reads written by her.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/25/09 09:27 PM

Finished HOT HOUSE ORCHID by Stuart Woods in 1 day. I read all his books, know the characters, locations, and fall right into each novel.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/25/09 09:29 PM

Chatty, The Emotion Code sounds like something I need to read, not that I'm stressed out or anything...

Thanks.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/25/09 09:31 PM

I read a great book that I'm not so sure I've mentioned here.

My FIL has Alzheimer's so I've read several non-fiction books about the subject. I jsut read an incredibly great book that's a novel about a woman who is diagnosed at age 51, early onset. It's written from her perspective and it gives you an incredible look at what it's like to be the patient. I read it in 24 hours and I'm a pretty busy gal. I stayed up late on a Friday and woke up early on a Saturday and got it done.

I highly recommend it to anyone who is caring for a family, friend, or patient who is suffering from Alzheimer's. You will so relate to the poor woman who is a professor, wife, mother of three 20-somethings, friend, etc.

Still Alice, a novel, by Lisa Genova.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 12:16 AM

I have The Wednesday Letters half finished, but it's a slow (borderline boring) read. It was sent to me by someone who loved reading it, so I'll continue out of respect and an act of appreciation for her thinking of me. In the meantime, I'm reading Teaching Outside the Box (constantly looking for things that might help my ADHD grandson) and Bouquets of Bitterroots (another referral).
I need something lifting... I've experienced depression for the past two days -- haven't had an episode for over four months, then all of a sudden, BANG! Not a bad episode, but it still feels bad.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 12:19 PM

gims, how about The Wishing Year. I found it very uplifting.

ADHD, hmmm, I've read so much about it years back. There's one good book that was very encouraging. Learning Outside the Lines, by Jonathan Mooney. Google him. I think you'll like what you find. I actually saw him do a presentation at my daughter's school, fell in love with his style, bought his book, and totally enjoyed it. My daughter went to a school for kids with LDs. She had no more than seven kids in each class. It was precisely what she needed. She went there 6th thru 12th grade, and by the grace of God, it is literally two houses and one building away from our home. Students came from a bit over an hour away to attend the school. And now, the school has grown and is no longer at this location. What a blessing that was. She walked and all the kids were in and out of our home through the years. What fun.

Let me know if I can be of any help to your grandson. Many children with LDs and attention issues have pockets of brilliance. Find his and nurture them.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 01:46 PM

I too just finished The Wishing Year and found it to be uplifting as well. I really did enjoy it.

It's deep in places, or at least I thought so. But I like that in a non-fiction. Make me think...I dare ya. You know?

I have already recommended it to two other women as I felt that it would or could be a possible catalyst out of their depression. It's just one tool towards the process though, so don't take my recommendation as a "fix." I don't want to "oversell" it.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 02:16 PM

I'm reading another ..."should I leave him or stay" book...sigh.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 02:19 PM

Would it help if you read a "things I like about him" book? Not being sarcastic...just caring, my dear friend!

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 02:22 PM

You're right JJ. I got to concentrate more on the positive sides. Sometimes it's hard, though.

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 02:38 PM

Don't I know it. You are such an upbeat, positive woman that I can't imagine you feeling any other way, or someone influencing you to feel any other way...but I am a true believer in we are what we think. And maybe if you could think good things about him, or good things about your life together, then more of them would come???

But ignore me...As my best friends always tells others - Don't pay any attention to her, she hit her head on the windshield...

Re: What are you reading? - 10/26/09 04:01 PM

Thanks Dots... just put it on my library wish list. Seems others are reading this very title, as all copies are checked out across our library system (7 of the libraries have carry it). Reading the editor's notes, reviews, etc., makes me think it will have some applicable information.
Sure wish we could find something to get him off the drugs!
Thanks again.
Posted by: coffeemom

Re: What are you reading? - 11/09/09 04:12 AM

I just started a book called "Intervention" by Terri Blackstock. It is a Christian fiction suspense. The neat thing about it is that Terri Blackstock's daughter really was into drugs and had to go to rehab. So the book pretty much tells it like it is.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/10/09 09:36 PM

WELCOME Coffeemom, I don't remember your name so maybe I missed welcoming you, if so I apologize, if not then consider yourself welcomed once again...
Posted by: coffeemom

Re: What are you reading? - 11/10/09 10:25 PM

Hi Chatty Lady!

Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to be here!
Posted by: Momof4js

Re: What are you reading? - 11/10/09 10:49 PM

I finished The Shack - which I loved! How I wish there were more by this author. Now, I'm involved with three books:
A Journal for Jordan
The Lost Symbol
Edgar Sawtelle

Momof4js

Re: What are you reading? - 11/14/09 07:44 AM

Loved The Shack and recommended it to all. I was so grateful to have learned about that book. It's a keeper.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/14/09 07:45 AM

coffeemom, thanks for sahring about that book. I have a friend who might enjoy that one.
Posted by: LTWayfaringWords

Re: What are you reading? - 11/19/09 02:29 AM

I just read the first of five stories in "Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan, Oprah's current book club selection. The first story, entitled "An Ex-mas Feast," takes place on the streets of Nairobi. Akpan wrote of streets I walked down and smells I smelled and places I knew, people I saw there, people who spoke words I heard, and people who spoke words I spoke there. Though he wrote fiction, he wrote a story typical of so many dear desperate people there--people I knew personally. But I saw and heard and knew those people from my perspective, and I could only barely imagine what their lives were really like. Akpan gave me an altogether difference glimpse into such people's daily lives and the way they think and what some of them do out of desperation. When we lived there, my heart reeled at the urgency of so many millions of people's needs. Reading this story, my heart reels anew. My heart is heavy right now. I'm sure I need to take time to think this through.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/19/09 04:02 PM

Just finished SOUTH OF BROAD by Pat Conroy (he wrote PRINCE OF TIDES and many others).

An amazing book written from the perspective of one of a cast of sinners and saints in Charleston, South Carolina, that covers their lives from the 60s - 80s. Beautiful and compelling reading.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/19/09 05:30 PM

I am reading The Vermont Country Store catalog and salivating over all the delicious looking goodies within. This catalog has the most wonderful items of food. I have tried many of them and was never disappointed.
Posted by: AmyDoodle

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 02:58 AM

Recently finished Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. So powerful! I can't imagine a world where it's a crime to own a book. Then I think of so many comparisons in our world today and I'm speechless.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 10:32 AM

I'd never heard of this, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Surprising that it was written in 1953. I just read about it on Amazon.

chatty, I visited that store when in Vermont. It was a total step back in time. Have you seen pictures of it?

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 02:11 PM

Not reading anything now, but I'm looking for a good "Christmassy", cheery/seasonal type book. This time of year usually puts me in the doldrums so a good "read" about this season to delve into always helps. Anyone know of one??

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 02:30 PM

I'm reading "the Christmas Bus" by Melody Carlson. My girlfriend bought it for me. I'm only half-way through, but am enjoying it. I think you'd like it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Bus-Melo...6560&sr=8-1

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 02:42 PM

thanks Eagle. I looked it up at our library but is due back Dec 10. I see she has other books...ever read them? Looks like my kind of author. I'll go to the library and read some of her details on her other books.

I currently have on hold "The Apple Turnover Murder" by Joanne Fluke...my FAV murder mystery author. Can't wait!

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 03:24 PM

Danielle Steel's SOUTHERN LIGHTS. This is a big year for Charleston, S.C. The last book I read, SOUTH OF BROAD, by Pat Conroy also took place in Charleston, S.C.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: What are you reading? - 11/23/09 07:35 PM

Saundra, I'm a huge fan of Pat Conroy but did you find his teenage character in South of Broad believable? I thought he was way too mature for his age.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/24/09 12:25 AM

Hi, Diane. I enjoyed the book and bought into all of the characters.

I've known people who are "old souls" at very young ages. He was a people pleaser to make up for looks, too. By the end of the book, I wished I had had someone like him in my life.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/24/09 09:15 PM

Ok, I could not wait..I went to another library and checked out "A Christmas to Remember" by Thomas Kincaid and Katherine Spencer. I'd forgotten I'd read a few of their books earlier in the year but wanted to wait 'til this time of year to read the Christmas ones. I'm all happy now! smile

Re: What are you reading? - 11/25/09 01:14 PM

Can anyone recommend a nice book to read out loud to my mother?
The stories should be short, entertaining, funny, wise, etc.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/25/09 01:17 PM

Great question. I don't have a name, but how about a nice book with Christmas stories? Maybe she could reminisce of past Christmases...

Another thought might be some neat children's story books that she could recall from her childhood?

Or, if you think she would enjoy, how about a few peaceful Psalms?

What a lovely idea, and a great way to spend time together.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/25/09 10:33 PM

EW, one of the funniest most delightful books I ever read and have given away as gifts to several good friends is JJ's book;

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Throne.

I kid you not, this book is hysterical, and many can relate to some of the happenings. Just my opinion as an avid reader and a book review writer.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/25/09 10:47 PM

No money exchanged hands (yet) for the making of this endorsement.

Chatty...big hug, hun...JJ

Re: What are you reading? - 11/26/09 01:08 AM

Well its TRUE... I have recommended many different books to people for different reasons but for what Edelweiss is looking for your book takes the cake so to speak...

Actually I could use a few bucks, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!! Just kidding...

Re: What are you reading? - 11/26/09 06:46 AM

YES!!!!And I have JJ's book! I'm going to give it a try. It is hilarious. I loved it. The only problem is, my mother is losing her english language, and sometimes has problems understanding. Unless your book has a German translation JJ...?

So if someone can recommend any other book, I can always see if I can find the German translation.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/26/09 06:48 AM

Dotsie, the children book idea is delightful. I'm going to look into that.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/28/09 03:26 PM

Oh good. Glad to hear it.

What's your mom's quality of life like these days?

Re: What are you reading? - 11/28/09 06:54 PM

That's a good question, Dotsie. One day, I think she won't last till Christmas, and then the next day, like today, she told me she walked downtown to the Christmas market!!! Whaaat?! It's like she goes from one extreme to the other. But the main thing is, her shingles have healed...and she is in no more pain.
How are your Dads doing?

Re: What are you reading? - 11/29/09 11:48 AM

A book of sonnets, saying and poetry called The Book of Friendship

Re: What are you reading? - 11/30/09 11:34 PM

Starting tonight a book I saw a prograqm on TV about last night, they interviewed the woman who wrote this book about domestic violence and her own attempted murder. The books called;

A DANCE WITH THE DEVIL by Barbara Bentley

If it's as good as the show, I can hardly wait to jump right in.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/01/09 11:32 AM

EW, Dads are as well as can be. Mine made it here for the Thanksgiving Cook-Off, but had to leave before the judging. Too long a day, but we were glad he got here. He sat by the fire with a scarf around his neck, wrapped in a blanket. HE can never be warm enough.

The latest with my FIL is that he lost his teeth. We searched every drawer, cabinet, all through the bed clothes and found them in the very bottom of the trash can. The things we take for granted!

I'm reading The Blue Gown, which is a memoir written by a midwife in West Virginia. So far, it's very well written and most interesting. She writes about her personal life with stories of her patients mixed within.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/01/09 11:32 AM

I enjoy reading about womens' lives.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/03/09 01:47 AM

THE SCARPETTA FACTOR by Patricia Cornwell.

I've read all of her books over a period of 15 years. They're great; same characters, new character arcs in each book.

Suspense, crime revolving around Dr. Kay Scarpettta who is now the senior forensic analyst for CNN as well as working pro bono to NY City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/05/09 01:51 PM

BREATHLESS by Dean Koontz.

I never know where his books wil take me, but I always enjoy the ride.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/07/09 08:37 PM

Dotsie, have you read any of Lisa See's books?
Posted by: humlan

Re: What are you reading? - 12/07/09 09:19 PM

Starburst by Robin Pilcher..such a warm and human read from Scotland.. smile I see Mountain Ash there among all the delightful people I "meet" in the book. This is a fictional novel.

And the long hard road out of hell by Marilyn Manson..written by the singer and song writer..and performer.. on his stage as he belts out his music and his thoughts. Is it a provoking book? OH YES...DEFINTELY YES. But the man is not stupid..he has alot to say..it´s a book that I pick up and then leave for awhile because it is difficult to read..and NOT what you would call..uplifting. But I do relate to alot of his torment...

Yes, he´s a hard rocker smile And alot of his lyrics have sooo much to say..to me, anyway. That´s why I bought the book.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/08/09 06:04 PM

Dianne, never read any of her books. Tell me what you think of them.

humlan, song lyrics often make me think about the artist who wrote them. My son was recently on tour with a rather youngish rock band so I've been listening to some of thier music. I can't say that I'm crazy about the mesages they're relating, but guess what? The young girls love their lyrics. I definitely feel old when listening to their music. Yes, it gets me moving, but I can't relate to the lyrics that much these days.

I also read books that I pick up and put down while reading others. I also have books I've read pieces of over and over again.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/08/09 07:28 PM

Dots, she's amazing. It's all about Chinese culture and how women were treated. I've learned so much from her books.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/08/09 09:15 PM

I just started reading Tracy Kidder's "Strength in What Remains." I've read only two chapters but it is bound to be a great book. The first sentence in the first chapter -- I've been there!

I also am reading "Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan. It's an Oprah Book Club selection.I am acquainted with much of what he wrote about in the first chapter, but it's a hard book to read.

LT Wayfaring Wordsmith
http://www.grandmaslettersfromafrica.blogspot.com

Re: What are you reading? - 12/08/09 10:13 PM

Dots, they are full of knowledge. She uses Chinese customs and weaves a story around them. I love all of her writings.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/08/09 10:16 PM

Today in the library in my nearby town I saw a new notice.
It read...
Ask your Doctor for a presciption if you have a mental/physical or emotional problem.Then trained staff will source a self help book for you.
I will watch with interest and someday soon ask the librarian how this came about.
there are several good self help books along side biographies..and it is a good approach to well being.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 06:26 AM

MA, that's sounds kind of weird to me...

I'm reading Vaccine.A by Gary Matsumoto... my "mad meter" has registered 'tilt' several times! I'm about 1/2 way through.

Also reading The Gift of Fear by DeBecker... another good read.

Waiting on The Help from our library... I'm #17 in line for one of two copies they have in the system.

Finished The Wednesday Letters... if you haven't read it, don't ... a waste of time, and also just finished Angel Medicine by Virtue --- REALLY enjoyed this one, maybe because most of my reading time was while with my sister during her long hospital stay... ordered a couple more of hers.

Next in my stack is The Spiral Staircase: My Climb Out of Darkness by Armstrong.

And, currently working my way through Robin Rice's online book, Venus for a Day (which you can read, even download, for free: http://www.venusforaday.com/). Reading online is very hard for me... hope to finish this one - sometime, someway.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 07:56 AM

I'm reading: How to write a resume for a middle aged man. Boring. How to get a middle aged man a job. Boring. How to keep a middle aged man motivated enough to get a job. Boring.

Ok, I'll be a good sport. I'm reading The Shack second time around.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 01:48 PM

Gims
you say

New...curiosity..worthy of sharing here..but weird ..naw.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
Gims
you say

New...curiosity..worthy of sharing here..but weird ..naw.

MA,
I'm picturing walking up to the reference desk in my library, showing them the prescription from my doctor (or even just telling them about it) and them (being the reference librarian for that day), in turn, 'choosing' a book for me. If the prescription is for a particular book, that's just as strange.
It's not everyday that I'd want my librarian (of any standing) to know what my emotional bent is.
Makes me think of Google getting the settlement to put 'orphan' books online... and how far that could go... they'd have a way to monitor readers' choices.
My library doesn't currently keep a history of what its customers read (sometimes I wish they did, so I could have a personal printout for referrels and notes). I can see how a privacy infringement could arise if they did, tho, so I'm really thankful that they don't. I guess I'm throwing that element in while thinking about what you posted. But then, maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong. As I reread it, it still seems weird to me, and yes, curious, too. crazy
... to add, most worthy of sharing here or anywhere - love your sharing!

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 03:26 PM

i respect your opinion...
if you read my post you will see that I did not share an opinion just a fact.That such notice existed.

What I see is that the asking the medic for the presciption may be the first time an issue is voiced.. and it is a respected view that the last remark as a patient has the hand on the handle of the door when exiting is often why they came to seek help in the first place.
It need not be emotional help..just practical advice I can think of several common ailments when a diagnosis has been made and the shared wisdom of others can suffice.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 03:45 PM

Princess, were you on the call about getting jobs at midlife?

Please visit www.wiserworker.con. I think it's a great resource. Look for their Resource Guide.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 04:13 PM

... realized you were sharing a fact (vs. an opinion)... forgive me if I came across sounding as if it were otherwise...
and, I suppose the words 'mental' and 'emotional' in the library sign were what made my 'weird' alarm go off... not toward you, but toward the sign at the library... smile

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 04:26 PM

Our library DOES keep a listing of all that we check out...so I don't think the privacy thing holds here. Wonder why others don't...hmmm.

If a doc can give you a prescription for a waterbed, why not a good book? LOL!

Re: What are you reading? - 12/09/09 04:35 PM

...lol... true, JJ... I guess I need to keep reminding myself how I'm a more private person than most, esp. when it comes to my mental and emotional state. Those two words, (mental, emotional) were what stood out. The physical (a waterbed) wouldn't bather me. In fact, I'd run to my nearest bed store... maybe because I so need a new bed, a good one!

Re: What are you reading? - 12/10/09 05:22 AM

Hi Dotsie, no I was not on that call, but I'll look for it. NABBW page? I haven't read this whole thread, but I want to add something. Libraries use the bar codes on your card, matched with the bar codes on their books. So isn't that a record? 10 years ago my therapist recommended a book to me that was an sensitive subject. The book was 26.00, so I wanted it from the library. I would not even ask where it was, did the search, due to the title giving away the topic (no, it was not sex addiction or STDs!) When I found the book, I did not take it off the shelf to check it out because it was just too sensitive a subject. I was too embarrassed to check it out. Following week, at the therapists, she had a present for me. She said, "book such and such was on the bargain table at BN", so she bought it for me! Now, I would not care if I checked it out. After all, it could be a research project. Do doctors prescribe waterbeds?

Re: What are you reading? - 12/10/09 05:17 PM

Amazon also keeps track of what you buy, then they send you emails for books that are similar that you might enjoy.

I was once in a book store doing research for a teleseminar I was doing. It landed me right next to all these weird sex books. There was a creepy guy eyeballing me while I searched. Ewwww, my heart began pounding when I realized what he was looking at. I fled the scene without getting my work done. I'm so intimidated by funky men. It goes back to when I was in the 5th grade and some man tried to coerce me into his car.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/11/09 11:05 PM

LOOK AGAIN by Lisa Scottoline

When Ellen Gleeson gets a "Have You Seen This Child?" flyer in the mail, her heart stops - the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful.

But she's a journalist and won't be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. She can't shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up?

She investigates, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life - and that of the son she loves.

Note: I love this writer's books.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/13/09 06:02 PM

Saundra, the story line sounds like something I'd enjoy. Do you pretty much read all books from favorite authors?

Re: What are you reading? - 12/13/09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
i respect your opinion...
if you read my post you will see that I did not share an opinion just a fact.That such notice existed.

What I see is that the asking the medic for the presciption may be the first time an issue is voiced.. and it is a respected view that the last remark as a patient has the hand on the handle of the door when exiting is often why they came to seek help in the first place.
It need not be emotional help..just practical advice I can think of several common ailments when a diagnosis has been made and the shared wisdom of others can suffice.

Didn't realize how this thread topic winded its way on other side topics in addition to one's current reading.

Public libraries, if they implement their policies properly, do take the issue of their patrons' personal info. as confidential quite seriously. So seriously that the (national) American Library Association had to take a strong public and defensive position that their patrons' reading list and personal info. was not immediately available to the police for investigation..I think the U.S. federal Terrorism Act enacted after 9/11, ignited this whole debate. Why? Because obviously what you read does not reflect your personal preferences or beliefs. One reads on a topic to be informed but not use the information to hurt others.

I think there were some situations where the a public library was challenged by the police to handover the info. on a client.

Princess,I would consider the library card...a record. It is record that has discrete identifiable pieces of info. on it: the name of the library that issued it and bar code which is like (but does not have the same legal weight) your government ID. It is a valuable record since one is held responsible for fines, etc.

As for storage of your reading preferences by the library system: most library software over the past few decades do have this feature, but many public libraries may not choose to activate the feature extensively or at all for several main reasons I can think of:

a) issues of personal information tied to reading preferences
b) technical problems & computer server memory required to store history reading list info. for thousands of library users
c) how many users would actually use this/know how to get into the feature? This latter feature believe it or not, is yet another feature to teach library users. Libraries are more focused and rightly so, on teaching people how to construct proper database searches across different types of databases that the library buys license plus its regular library in-house catalogue database.

Having said all of the above for public libraries: things are quite different for corporate libraries and some university libraries: since user group is small, usually adults and users are employees with/aligned with the parent organization, the user can be taught and does use some specialized database features to store their reading lists or store search keyword strings. Often software is designed so that only the user, not library, sees their search strings, reading lists, etc.

In response to what Mountain Ash's library was offering: Keep in mind the library is offering only self-help book/info. AFTER a client received diagnosis from doctor or psychologist.

I have developed and imposed specific service policy in training library staff, where they were trained that the librarian and any other library staff member, was not in the business of attempting to diagnose a: medical, psychiatric, legal or financial problem.

We tread a fine line between diagnosis of a problem (with legal/medical risks) and provision of info. But an experienced librarian does know when not to cross the line and instead make a referral to the client, to seek other trained professional help of a doctor, lawyer, accountant, engineer, etc.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/16/09 12:27 AM

Dotsie, every time I find an author I like I am compelled to read all of their books. Most of the time it works out well and I have another favorite author. I love it when that happens. I hope my library continues to be funded so I can continue to read.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/17/09 02:09 AM

Dotsie, I don't think you revealed the close call in 5th grade before? That's enough of an episode to scare you. You had good instincts to get away?
I used to spend a lot of time in the public library on my way home from school. I would walk from school to the library, and hide. I was so shy I did not stay after school for drama, debate, etc. The library was a home converted. Maybe Di knows? She lived in the same town at the same time! Anyway, when I recall what I read at age 15 and 16, I think it shows what your passions are. What did you read as a teen? I just finished reading The Shack 2 x, once for the story line, another for the lessons.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/17/09 03:06 AM

Ha, I don't recall reading at age 15 and 16, other than what I had to read for school.

I've read The Shack once, but will definnitely go back and read it a second time. I devoured that book.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/17/09 06:34 PM

By age 11/12 before we moved to senior school each friday afternoon the library box was set up.We were allowed one book and had to present our ourcome the following week.
My friend and I were serious readers and worked out we could exchange our book with the other mid week.We left home met in the park..first having measured in steps where exactly was half way between our homes.
This breaking of the rules was our invention we never shared this with other friends.Of course as the term went on we had read most of the books and had to re read those that were left..it never nothered us that we had read a book before but how we wished for more new titles.
Senior school allowed free borrowing and I did this from day one.
libraries have a special place in my life...

Re: What are you reading? - 12/17/09 09:56 PM

Interesting....when growing up, my city was population of 30,000 (now it's over 200,000) and we had well-stocked libraries.

Like Mountain Ash, I had a friend in middle school where she and I in an informal, fun way engaged in reading contest. The English compostion class required all students to record in common log book of books that we read.

Must have logged in over 200 titles by the end of school year. Books were 100-300 pgs. long. I was 14 yrs. old. Wasn't a chore to me. I found this school assignment so easy! smile
No, there was no prize or recognition at end. Or if there was, don't remember because didn't care.

No didn't swap titles with friend since she lived in another part of city and she had slightly different reading taste. She was getting into more feminist stuff. No kiddin' at age 14: she politely didn't understand my diet of teenage love novels at that age, amongst the history, art and politics that I read also.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/20/09 03:47 AM

I read a lot of non-fiction memoirs, research, and essays about domestic violence, child abuse, suicide, and sexual assault. I am reading "A Private Family Matter" by Victor Rivas Rivers. It is his memoir about immigration from Cuba in the early 1950s and hardships as a Cuban in Chicago. The child abuse inflicted upon him and the domestic violence he witnessed is one of the worst horror stories I've ever read, and I've read a lot. I'm feeling much compassion for a male victim of abuse. The man turned out to be a football player for the Miami Dolphins. The book is so well-written it is amazing to see this abused man evolve into a writer who can tell a hard story in beautifully written style. Yet, I can't read it before bed as it is too harsh and gives me nightmares.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/20/09 12:27 PM

i agree with you PL about biolgraphical bedtime reading ..that it infringes rest.As it should...if the reader has compassion/The processing of the written word is essential.I always have a space between books..so that whatever was there to be felt/understood can tumble into my thinking.Also after a play..what was the theme.
Much of social welfare essential reading is also thought provoking..the treatment of pre marriage preganancy not so long ago.How girls were sent away..some even hospitalised..for their "sins"
I have used Simple Abundance over a number of years at bedtime..each new reading allowing another insight..also Sarah
Ban Breanachs other books..they hit the spot for peaceful rest.

Recently I read a biography of an English woman who Father from day one of her life made it clear he would be her p..i...m..p.
sad beyond words...yet her life now is educating others..she graphicly describes a very cruel childhood..within the text she repeated tells how she continued to love her father...

Re: What are you reading? - 12/21/09 01:32 PM

What fun to hear how many of you were avid readers as children. I think Imm making up for lost time.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/21/09 05:35 PM

I was a shy, only child and after we moved to Los Angeles where I turned 12 and had no friends, my avid reading began. I had all of the HEIDI books (still have 2 battered copies), NANCY DREW mysteries, etc.

Even before we moved I was a reader. I still have the MOTHER WEST WIND "HOW" STORIES by Thornton W. Burgess written in 1916 and dedicated to Morther Nature.

I've always enjoyed reading.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/21/09 05:49 PM

I'm reading GEORGE CARLIN LAST WORDS, published posthumously(sp?) written by George Carlin and Tony Hendra.

It's not large type and hard on my eyes. I enjoyed the last half more than the first half. Yes, I skipped around.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/22/09 04:49 PM

Tell me what you think of this book, Saundra. I see that you say you skipped around some. Too much detail? I am thinking of reading this but wondered if it would be worth the time invested. Your thoughts?

Re: What are you reading? - 12/23/09 12:23 AM

Queenie, there was too much detail. How did you know? Every little thing. He kept notes his entire life about his entire life and left nothing out. The first half may be of more interest to others. I enjoyed most of the last half, but I wouldn't say, "You've got to read this."

I've learned to skip around in books that don't interest me in the first pages and I've learned that not every book is for me. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see it.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/23/09 02:49 PM

BRIGHT-SIDED How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenrich

It was more serious than I thought it would be, but I appreciated her writing. She makes excellent points on both sides while reminding us that we must be realistic to fix problems.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/27/09 07:09 PM

Saundra, can you give some more info? Do they address The Secret? It sounds very interesting. I'm reading Howie Mandell's book and loving it.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 01:08 AM

All of my Christmas cards, yet again. I love some of what was written inside of them...
Posted by: P.J.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 02:32 AM

I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain right now but when I am finished I am going to read Howie Mandell's book.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 02:34 AM

I glanced through Howie Mandell's book at B&N, and want to read it after the New Year. What I read briefly about him was a real shocker to me.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 04:53 PM

I'm currently reading "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey. I understand it's a true story with regard to God's reality. I've been reading fiction books like "The Shack" of which I enjoyed, yet wanted to read something more realistic. A lady reverand (who is also a fellow horsewoman) loaned me her copy. Gosh, she is actually the 1st lady reverand I've met, have ya'll met any female church leaders? I think a woman's perspective is refreshing.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 10:10 PM

Hi, Diane. Here's a summary of BRIGHT-SIDED. Yes, she does mention THE SECRET.

A sharp-witted knockdown of America's love affair with positive thinking and an urgent call for a new commitment to realism.

Americans are a "positive" people, cheerful, optimistic, and upbeat: this is our reputation as well as our self-image. But more than a temperament, being positive, we are told, is the key to success and prosperity.

In this utterly original take on the American frame of mind, Barbara Ehrenreich traces the strange career of our sunny outlook from its origins as a marginal nineteenth-century healing technique to its enshrinement as a dominant, almost mandatory, cultural attitude.

Evangelical mega-churches preach the good news that you only have to want something to get it, because God wants to "prosper" you. The medical profession prescribes positive thinking for its presumed health benefits. Academia has made room for new departments of "positive psychology" and the "science of happiness."

Nowhere, though, has bright-siding taken firmer root than within the business community, where, as Ehrenreich shows, the refusal even to consider negative outcomes (like mortgage defaults) contributed directly to the current economic crisis.

With the mythbusting powers for which she is acclaimed, Ehrenreich exposes the downside of America's penchant for positive thinking: On a personal level, it leads to self-blame and a morbid preoccupation with stamping out "negative" thoughts. On a national level, it's brought us an era of irrational optimism resulting in disaster.

This is Ehrenreich at her provocative best, poking holes in conventional wisdom and faux science, and ending with a call for existential clarity and courage.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/09 10:17 PM

Just for fun, I read Stephen King's book UNDER THE DOME.

It's 1,074 pages of really good! I swear I hurt my back carrying it around, but it was really good!

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/09 02:11 AM

Ah Chatty, that is so sweet and touching.

Thanks so much, Saundra. My publisher has built an empire on positive thoughts so I was interested in another viewpoint.

I downloaded Howie's book on my new Kindle! I love my little machine and I loved Howie's book too. Poor guy suffers from OCD so bad it makes my heart hurt for him.

I'm also a new fan of David Sedaris although Barrel Fever had a few rough mentions of gay sex. He's so funny outside of that.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/09 06:07 PM

mustang, one of my favorite ministers at out church was an interim female minister. She was so refreshing. She's the one who shared that she didn't understand many of the people in our congregatin becasue they had a "why me" attitude, which many people I know have. She didn't understand why we didn't have a 'why not me' attitude. That one conversation changed much of my thought process with regards to bad things happening to good people. So cool. Her dad was a doctor who was a missionary and did most of his work in Africa so that's where she was raised for the most part. She had very little expectations which I beleive caused her to be an unusally blessed woman.

I'm reading An Alter in the WOrld which teaches how to see the sacred amidst everyday living. Several different spiritaul practices are taught which are eye-opening.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/09 06:44 PM

Just finished reading:

Friend Of the Family by Lauren Grodstein,
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom,
Positive Energy by Judith Orloff, M.D.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/09 11:56 PM

Just started the sequel to HALO called TARNISHED HALO by D.J. Stephens. Its a war time drama about a six man team of special opts sent to South East Asia in 1965 to terminate two of the Golden Triangles top drug lords. Wanted to read something really different this time around.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/31/09 12:04 PM

Cookie, how was Albom's latest booK? I've found the others to be most refreshing. Is it similar? I was so gald I'd read Tuesdays with Morrie before Mom became ill.It helped me learn to simply be with her when she was dying.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/31/09 02:08 PM

I liked it. I thought it was a good book about the human spirit.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/01/10 07:51 PM

Have a Little Faith - is that his latest?

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/10 11:24 AM

Yes, I believe it is.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/10 03:26 PM

We went to B&N last night so Ross could get a new book. He got two and I got Have a Little Faith. I hope to finish one of the books I'm reading this weekend. This will be my next one. Looking forward to it. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/10 11:16 PM

"The Game of Life and How to Play It" by Florence Scovel Shinn is a thin, quick read, full of great thoughts. Best Wishes.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/04/10 02:50 PM

Anne, what a great idea to read to the elderly. I recall Edelweiss asking what she could read to her mom. The dog book sounds fun.

lindasusan, that sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I like reading non-fiction that suggests self-improvement.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/07/10 04:33 PM

You'll have to get a copy of your own.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/10/10 04:25 PM

Hello Ladies, I just downloaded Dog On It. I need some fun reading. Just finished:
1. Too Big To Fail - Andrew Ross Sarkin (so sad that big business is allowed to get away with personal greed at the expense of the small individual.)
2. Going Rogue Sarah Palin (I'm glad I decided to read it. I believed a lot of the negative PR. She changed my mind. I remember thinking that the media had a planned response for each answer she would choose.
3. Stones Into Schools by Greg Mortenson Not as good as the first but I still enjoyed it. Thanks to this forum, I read Three Cups of Tea and loved it.
4. The Head Trip by Jeff Warren Good
5. The Complete Idiot's Guide to String Theory by George Musser. I'll need to listen to this one several more times before I "get it".
6. Objection by Nancy Grace (I've never seen her show and didn't know what she was about. She advocates victims rights. I enjoyed it.)
bye! Lea
Posted by: Lola

Re: What are you reading? - 01/10/10 04:29 PM

"Wrestling with God: The Courts' Tortuous Treatment of Religion" by Patrick M Garry.

"Wrestling with God: Jewish Theological Responses During and After the Holocaust" by Steven T. Katz, Shlomo Biderman, Gershon Greenberg.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/11/10 03:02 PM

Lea, it's great to see you. Enjoyed your list of books. What a neat mix. I considered reading Mortenson's book, but now maybe I won't. I enjoyed Three Cups of Tea too. I found it amazing that he was so dedicated to his project. At times, I felt he was too obsessed. I am a bit curious to hear how it's continued to grow.

Can you tell us about the string theory book?

Lola, Wrestling with God, what a great title. I do that often.

I finished The World as an Alter. It was a lovely book that I think several here would enjoy. I finished the book feeling so blessed by the many ways we can encounter God throughout our days. It's quite amazing. It really made me think about living a life of prayer which is different than saying prayers. Very cool. I enjoy reading a book and feeling peaceful.

I've begun Have a Little Faith. It's another feel good book.

Thanks for sharing your books with me. I'm always on the lookout for the next good read.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/12/10 12:24 AM

Dotsie, thanks for mentioning "The World as an Altar." I'll look into it.

Today in the mail I received a copy of "The Frontiersman's Daughter," by Laura Frantz. She and the book received great reviews.

Linda

Re: What are you reading? - 01/12/10 12:49 AM

Dotsie, could that possibly be "An Altar In The World: A Geography of Faith" by Barbara Brown Taylor?

Re: What are you reading? - 01/13/10 11:03 PM

I just finished rereading Mollie's Follies. Not a book yet but should be and will be too I bet. Objective lesson guide and great story that all young girls and women need to read.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/14/10 12:56 PM

Linda, yes that's it. It's lovely.
Posted by: Anne-MarieH

Re: What are you reading? - 01/15/10 07:39 PM

I've started a wonderful book entitled "Listen to Your Life Following Your Unique Path to Extraordinatory Success" by Valorie Burton. I love books like books like this, because if you are honest with yourself when you answer the questions asked, a lot of wisdom is gained. It's amazing how often the Lord has put books like this in my path and usually on a bargain table to boot.

I have so many books I want to read; I'll need to be on this earth a really long time to get through them all!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/16/10 01:53 AM

WELCOME Anne-MarieH, you've come to a happy place in cyber space. Glad to have you here.
Posted by: Anne-MarieH

Re: What are you reading? - 01/16/10 08:00 PM

Thank-you, chatty lady. I believe your right. I'm a writer so I took the opportunity to check out your website and was very impressed.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/17/10 02:06 AM

Thank you so much Anne-MarieH, If you have a published book please join the other authors and myself on my myspace. Would love to have you.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/17/10 03:18 PM

Ann-Marie, thanks for jumping in. I also like self-help books.

If you go to the Redefining Life forum, we are working our way through a book called 30 Days to a New You right now. We are om the first week. You can register for it at www.boomerwomenspeak.com. Look in the the Important Announcement section and you'll see where to sign up. I hope you'll join us.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/18/10 01:24 AM

Rereading a wonderfully funny book:

My Bastard Husband: A Love Story

Too cute to miss reading with some relavent chapters.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/22/10 09:14 PM

I am reading "The Michael Jackson Tapes" for the second time! The sub-title is "A Tragic Icon Reveals His Soul in Intimate Conversations." by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach. The book is not what someone might think. It is not a celebrity tell-all. I have learned so much, and not about Michael Jackson. I learned about our celebrity-obsessed culture (I asked Mountain Ash if Scotland is so obsessed and it sounded like they don't idolize actors like we do) Anyway, the Rabbi writes so eloquently, like this "...tragedy of his life was to mistake attention for love, fame for family, material acquisition for true spiritual purpose." I'm so glad I found this author. Reminds me of M. Scott Peck, "The Road Less Travelled" and "People of the Lie."
Posted by: AdvoCareLady

Re: What are you reading? - 01/28/10 04:02 PM

I am reading "Conflict Free Living" by Joyce Meyer and "I Dare You" by the same. Love her, love her message, she gives me hope and faith to keep moving forward!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/30/10 10:11 PM

“Greatness is the synthesis of a man or womans innate potential matched with their abilities to rise to a great challenge.”
Rabbi Shmulley Boteach

Re: What are you reading? - 01/31/10 11:46 AM

I'm currently reading, "Never Say Never" by Lisa Wingate.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/01/10 01:54 PM

I finished Have a Little Faith while on vacation. I loved it, and already bought it as a gift for someone else. It's the kind of book everyone should read. Mitch Albom does a lovely job of helping the reader consider why we believe what we believe. He shares his journey interviewing his rabbi because the rabbi asked him to eulogize him, and his time befriending a recovering addict who ministers in an inner city church.

It was recommended here. Thanks!
Posted by: queenmotorhome

Re: What are you reading? - 02/10/10 10:54 PM

I am pleased to introduce yall to my novel entitled: www.queenmotorhome.com. Queen Georgia Jaw Jaw had just posted a fabulous book review on NABBW! Wow! I am so humbled! Go to the book reviews under fiction and see for yourself and Queen Georgia said to tell you that she endorses it! Thanks! Patt Fero - aka Queenbee.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 12:05 AM

I watched the interview and it sounds great. Have to make a trip into town tomorrow and am going to the Barnes and Noble to buy the book. You know JJ is the resident comic here on BWS, and it is hard for anyone to get into a real comics head so if she recommends this book, run, don't walk to the book store and buy it.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 12:07 AM

not all BN stores have the book in stock, but can order it - otherwise order on Amazon, or order on my website of the same title name. Queenbee

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 12:29 AM

JJ loved your book so much that she's going to mail it to me so I can read it!

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 12:32 AM

I am off to Barnes & Noble to buy or order it if not in stock.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 03:13 AM

not all bn stores have it in stock as of this writing but can order it or you can order through amazon or through my website of the same title name. Queenbee

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 03:15 AM

Happy Trails! Dotsie! Hope you have same opinion as Georgia! Thanks! Patt Fero (aka Queenbee)

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 01:33 PM

We definitely have similar taste in reading so I have a feeling I'm going to like it too.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 01:33 PM

About half-way through our book club book and really enjoying it. The Wednesday Sisters

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 04:12 PM

I want to add that one of the things I loved about Patt's book was that is felt REAL. You know? The characters, the events, the emotions flowing back and forth between characters...everything. There was nothing in the storyline that made me go, "huh? Yeah right hun..." I always felt like these two women were real and I even called Patt at home and said, "Hey, was this a real experience that you're writing about here?" And I did NOT know her. But I just had to know. Nosey, aren't I?

It is a light read, too...but it has it's moments where I was worried for Liz and Leslie, like when the guy tried to---oh wait...sorry, guess you'll just have to read it. Bawwwwhahahaha!

Re: What are you reading? - 02/11/10 10:24 PM

I am reading, The Wednesday Sisters, to be discussed later in the forums.

Over the past month I have read The Lacuna, by Barbara Kingsolver (she is such a gifted writer), The Help, a wonderful story about black help raising white children in Mississippi and Juliet Naked (strange, and probably meant for a different audients. I also read Roses, and found it intriguing - part "Dallas", part historical romance and part just fun reading.

Your book, Patt sounds interesting.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/13/10 08:47 PM

My walking partner read The Help and absolutely loved it. That's on my list.
Posted by: NikeChillemi

Re: What are you reading? - 03/05/10 01:30 PM

I'm reading Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker, a thriller.
Posted by: christacatalyst

Re: What are you reading? - 04/16/10 05:25 AM

I've really been intrigued by the book, "What if Jesus was Never Born?" Puts a very interesting, yet informative spin on Christianity through the past 2000 years. I'm curious to see how he deals with the Inquistion and other events.

Also reading "Little Pilgrim's Progress" (Helen Taylor) for the about the 30th time - this time with my girls! It's the cheat version of "Pilgrim's Progress" and very cool reading. I never did get through the orginal due to the language, though I tried a couple of times. This version is about the same reading level as Chronicles of Narnia, so very easy reading for mom and fun out loud reading for the family.

My other all-time favorite is the "Miss Match" series by Erynn Holbrook - but I am long overdue to get the third book. NavPress is missing the mark - after I read it twice - and laughed all the way through - I realized it was a teen book! LOL (Explained the easy sentence structure.) I had already bought copies for my mom (87) and cousin ("retired" 60 something getting her third degree so she can teach). They loved it as well. It's just plain funny. It's about this young confirmed bachlorette who has discovered her calling in life is to be a match-maker.... I laughed out loud the whole time reading (until 4 am- somehow my husband slept through all my noise....)

smile

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 12:28 PM

Just started Jodi Picoult's new one, "House Rules". she's one of my favorite authors, I've read all her books. This one has grabbed me from the first page.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 01:52 PM

Women, Wealth and Giving, Margaret May Damen and Niki Nicastro McCuistion

A powerful book explaining how baby boomers give, volunteer, and create their legacies.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 03:10 PM

I am rediscovering Sherlock Holmes. I recently bought the Complete Sherlock Holmes for my Kindle and am enjoying re-reading these old classics. It's a game to see if I can figure out whodonit before the end of the book. Probably not really fair as I read them all as a teenager, but who can remember stuff from books that long ago?? LOL

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 04:34 PM

I have this on DVD, and I have the book(s)....LOVE Sherlock. One of my favs.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 06:09 PM

Is that the DVD with Basil Rathbone? He IS Sherlock Holmes, just like Sean Connery IS Bond, James Bond.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/20/10 11:32 PM

Yes ma'am....sure is. Lordy, I love those stories. I had myself a Sherlock Holmes weekend one time back in the winter and stayed in front of the TV all day long and watched them. I was so SherLOCKED at the end of the day! LOL!

My other favorite is Piorot. I have those as well.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: What are you reading? - 04/21/10 01:50 AM

@ CrossStitchQueen - How is "House Rules?" I am a big fan of Jodi P's work, but haven't had a chance to get my hands on that one yet.

I am just starting "Grandma's Letters from Africa," by Linda K. Thomas. She's a member of NABBW and this is a fascinating story of how she became a missionary in Africa, told through letters she writes to her granddaughter back home in the states.

So far I have only read the preface, but I can tell I will be entertained.

I'll keep you posted.

Anne

Re: What are you reading? - 04/21/10 07:53 PM

I have just started to read a real tome: a book on the law of using electronic documentation as electronic evidence for court and litigation. Book came slamming down into the mail from the law book publisher.

I volunteered to read and write book review article to critique the merits of the book. Article will be published near this Christmas. Audience will be to law librarians and research lawyers across Canada.

I'm learning a great deal because lawyers have written and expounded so much on the subject because they are the ones attempting gather and interpret the correct evidence for court or mediation. Learning basic diff. amongst Canadian, U.S. law in this area ..with a nod to British law which Canada leaned heavily on initially.

But very little has been written, professionally from law librarian and records manager where the latter person is deeply involved in finalizing document (electronic and other formats) storage and executing searches for the same content in future. There are very few records managers who have strong law library research experience.

Yea, it's ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Sleepy stuff to many here. tired: It's over 300 p. of reading.

No, I don't get paid for this. It's considered as another thing that is career/resume related.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/21/10 07:57 PM

Metadata is a tricky yet interesting discussion. I work w/ it every day. Very time consuming.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/21/10 08:13 PM

Mustang, does your work involve much on electronic discovery processes for client work?

Or your reference to metadata is trying to find information using appropriate metadata fields or trace the electronic breadcrumb history of a document?

Honest, I think the most underrated person in the electronic discovery process...is the corporation's records manager. It is this person who, if document management systems and policies are put into place properly, s/he has the widest breadth of knowledge (some of it is highly detailed) for the parent organization on document workflows flowing in and out and within the organization...and to other parties. The person can have unbelievable knowledge of the flow, some content of documentation amongst parties...because alot of the documentation must be centralized and kept for specific number of years by law.

It could be complicated for an external legal team to establish the working interrelationships amongst people where documents are produced, shared, etc. And sometimes those people are no longer with the organization. But if the records manager is around in a client firm long enough, they might hold one of the 'keys' to the search process.

I saw so much as the records/documents manager. And I was granted access to all....emails if I needed it.

Was there litigation for our organization. Several. Large construction projects ..usually are famous for construction claims.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/22/10 12:47 AM

I almost fell asleep during my class on classification and cataloging; it was so boring to me even though I know it's essential. I had much more fun with the classes on research, technology, and government research.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/22/10 04:50 AM

Would it help, yonuh that the new terms that everyone else is grabbing onto (computer technology folks, lawyers, business consultants are claiming some expertise) is now taxonomy (for classification) and metatdata (for cataloguing fields/standards)? Knowledge application/transfer would be for designing the large-scale databases. I know but to get to the bigger stuff that changes organizations, one has to know all the smaller pieces too.

None of my jobs were exclusively backroom technical jobs on just taxonomy and metadata development and tagging. Jobs always included client service work..which was research, group training, planning with other managers..

Before this "thrilling" book that I'm reading to write a review, I just finished a travelogue book on 2 guys who pedalled a boat across the Atlantic Ocean and then across the pacific to hawaii.

Yes, they pedalled the boat. Just reading and imagining the rigor..unbelievable.
http://www.expedition360.com/reference/historic_overview.htm

Posted by: humlan

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/10 06:04 PM

Orchid.. They did thid not too too long ago, right? I am 62..and I kinda remember reading about them in the papers. Is this possible? An amazing feat!!! I guess you know how it feels..as you say, they were petalling!! There are still some real live adventurers out there!!! I like that!!

I have just read Jeffrey Deavers Road Crosses. Very very goodif you like thrillers..and I love them! And I am reading The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra, md. and David Simon, md. I am reading this for the 2nd time..and it is sooo interesting..especially if you are in to yoga. It gives your yoga so many more demensions..

Re: What are you reading? - 04/23/10 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: humlan
Orchid.. They did thid not too too long ago, right?

Yes, the guys did it a few years ago. Actually the book of theirs that I read, I originally bought it for dearie. But he hasn't gotten around to reading it yet. smile

Re: What are you reading? - 04/24/10 10:42 PM

I am reading DR. Dean Ornish's Program For REVERSING HEART DISEASE, and it is fascinating. I will be incorporating many of the diet changes he advises.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/30/10 12:41 AM

Now I'm reading the companion book which is:

Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish
It contains 150 Low-Fat, High Flavor meals.

Also if anyone is looking for Vegan or low to no-fat items, just ask me, I'll give you the info.

Re: What are you reading? - 04/30/10 03:49 AM

I have been reading several good books.

One, BoomerPreneurs, How Baby Boomers Can Start Their Own Business, Make Money and Enjoy Life, by MB Izard, is a great book for helping baby boomers figure out how to start a business if your own. I'll be reviewing it on the NABBW site, but let's just say that as a former coach who helped Baby Boomers start their own businesses, I thought this was a fantastic book...

Another is a thriller that I can't put down. The author's style is very analogous to Stephen King. Called So Cold the River, by Michael Koryta - it's due out in June and I highly recommend it.

A third, Baby Boomer Bust? by Roger Chiocchi is much more rooted in the economic reality of the present. This book's subtitle is "How the generation of promise became the generation of panic." I think I'll review it on the NABBW site, even if it IS written by a man... I find it very thought provoking.

Next I will be reading NABBW-member Linda K. Thomas's memoir, Grandma's Letters from Africa. If I have the story straight, she wrote letters to a newborn grand daughter during three years she and her husband spent working as missionaries in Nairobi... Seeing as more and more of us Boomers are deciding to spend some time doing volunteer work, I think this one ought to be quite interesting...

Re: What are you reading? - 04/30/10 12:48 PM

I would love hear your opinions on Rich Dad/Poor Dad , if you've read it...yes?

Or the author's wife's book, Rich Woman

either one...

Re: What are you reading? - 04/30/10 10:48 PM

I read it anmd have seen his many TV shows. It's a kind of 'feel good' message that anyone can do what he did and become rich if willing to do the work. I think I may have it here somewhere still, if so do you want it? I have to look because my ex takes my books sometime.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/03/10 12:03 PM

How sweet you are to offer, but I'm thinking Library? I'll check mine and see if they have it. I bet they do.

Re: What are you reading? - 05/03/10 10:47 PM

If not the offer stands...
Posted by: jabber

Re: What are you reading? - 05/31/10 01:03 PM

I'm currently reading, "Blonde Chills," by Lynn Meiseles, a Tide Dancer Publication. I'm about a fifth of the way through.
As first time author, Lynn has done a bang-up job with the writing; Sandpiper has done an equally excellent publishing job. "Blonde Chills" is a riveting read!

Re: What are you reading? - 06/02/10 02:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jabber. I'm glad you're enjoying Blonde Chills. It's a very good book and well written.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/03/10 12:02 PM

Cindy, I just visited your site and the cover of that book is excellent. And the teaser gave ME chills. It sounds like one of those MUST READS. Great job! Did you do the cover art?

Re: What are you reading? - 06/03/10 01:36 PM

Sandpiper,
I wish I had the time to read it straight through. But life keeps interrupting my entertainment. I'll be starting Chapter 29, when I can. CK reminds me of that alleged Natalie Holloway killer, Van der Sloot, who has allegedly killed again! Geese, jj, talk about "Chills"; you're right! Yes, "Blonde Chills" is well written. And I love it!

Re: What are you reading? - 06/03/10 02:29 PM

Thanks JawJaw - It is a MUST read book. Very good and totally holds your interest. Sorry to say I didn't do the cover art, the author's son did it. He's a professional graphic artist.

Jabber I'm so glad you love the book. The author put a lot of time into writing it. Yes it does give you chills and is scarey but so very good. You're moving right along with it, that's how I read it also. I don't usually read those type of books but I kept coming back to it. Couldn't forget it or put it down easily. Let me know what you think of it when you're done.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 07:38 AM

I have begun reading a book by Helene Schellenberg Barnhart

WRITING ROMANCE FICTION for Love and Money.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 05:52 PM

Never heard of her Chatty. Let me know how it is. I've got several books similar but I always read the new ones on the market.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 07:18 PM

Sandpiper, the checks in the mail. Honest injun. I can't wait!

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 07:50 PM

Ladies,
I just finished reading "Blonde Chills"; what a great read.
Oh my goodness! Not long ago I started a couple of New York Times' Best Sellers and quit part way through, because they were much too boring. Yet they'd received rave reviews from well-known critics. "Blonde Chills" brings the reader virtual chills! Author Lynn [Linda] Meiseles blind sides the killer on you, as if ambushed on an unlit, dead end road at midnight! "Blonde Chills" is a heart-pounding thriller!!! Loved it!!!! Cindy Oldham's Tide Dancer Publications has an excellent read here.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 11:18 PM

Thanks Jabber, I am always looking for a good thriller. I went and looked for it on Amazon.com since I couldn't figure out if Lynn was the author's first or last name from your post.

Found it here: Blonde Chills

Anyway, I am unfamiliar with Lynn Meiseles, which is exciting as I am always looking for new authors. In the process I found someone on Amazon compare Lynn to Jonathan Kellerman.

So now I am really out to find this book, having read TWO great reviews.

Anne

Re: What are you reading? - 06/04/10 11:20 PM

I just ordered mine direct from the author. However, the name that was emailed to me was LINDA, not LYNN. Yipes!

Re: What are you reading? - 06/05/10 04:04 AM

Oops! Jaw Jaw, the authors full name is Linda. Sorry I didn't explain that to you. That's how her banking is listed, by her full name.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/05/10 11:39 AM

Oh cool then. I put Linda. Again, I can't wait to read it! Thank gal. I was scared she wasn't going to cash the moola.

Re: What are you reading? - 06/05/10 01:09 PM

Anne,
Went back in and corrected the name. Thanks! I hope "Linda" writes more books. What a wonderful talent!
Posted by: Linda Ballou

Re: What are you reading? - 06/17/10 04:04 PM

Don't be sorry. I think that this site is about networking and sharing our work.
I just posted a hello and shared my titles.

I will check yours out.
Cheers
Linda
Posted by: Linda Ballou

Re: What are you reading? - 06/30/10 04:39 PM

I have an extensive list of reviews on the Goodreads.com site.
It is a wonderful site for people who love to read.
my page there is easy to find.
All the best
Linda

Re: What are you reading? - 07/01/10 11:16 AM

Cool, Linda. I'll check it out. I'm so glad you're here!

Re: What are you reading? - 07/01/10 10:00 PM

Great site Linda. Very interesting and informative. Love the video and your book Wa-nani sound quite interesting. Glad you're here with us.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: What are you reading? - 07/02/10 06:35 PM

Have you read Cindy's book, Kaleidoscope Memories? You know how I love nostalgia. Her book is awesome.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/02/10 09:39 PM

I certainly have! And reviewed it. A very nice job, indeed.
Posted by: cak

Re: What are you reading? - 07/07/10 05:24 PM

Hello, Kathryn,

Funny, I just a little while ago discovered this site and currently I am reading your book "Secret Graces", which I bought after reading "Tender Graces". I so enjoyed Tender Graces that I told my friends and my sisters they also needed to read it.

I have just published a book on Kindle (Just Until Tomorrow), and, being a new author, always read with an eye to writing style as well as content. Yours are excellent novels. Thank you.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/07/10 05:37 PM

Welcome cak...are you a member of the NABBW? Hard to tell by your call name, "cak." Welcome to the forums. We only have two rules here and they are simple ones.

1. Treat everyone with respect
2. No advertising of your book, product or service if you are not a member of the NABBW.

Other than that, we are a group of kind, caring, and friendly women and I believe you'll love it here!

Again, welcome and come on it, the water is fine!
Posted by: cak

Re: What are you reading? - 07/07/10 06:09 PM

Hello, jawjaw

No, in fact, I don't even know what NABBW stands for. So, if I
inadvertently adevertised, sorry.
This is the first day I've even seen this site. Just happened to see Kathryn's name and commented to her.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/07/10 09:34 PM

Girl, you didn't advertise. Not at all. If we can't talk about what's going on in our lives, what can we discuss? No, no...please don't think that.

Sometimes people come into the forums on a mission to sell, sell, sell. For instance, they might tell us all about their product, how great it is, or their book, or their whatever...and then will give links to their items encouraging everyone to buy them. They have no interest in the forums, and they are not members of the NABBW, The National Association of Baby Boomer Women the owners of this forum and of the association.

You, on the other hand, were simply telling about what is going on in your life. I love it when people jump in and share.

It's my job to make sure everyone is happy, and so I thought I would let you know about the rules, so you wouldn't have to go hunting the post. Nor would I! Am I being lazy or what?

So welcome again...please stick around and tell us more about yourself. We would love to get to know you better!

JJ

Re: What are you reading? - 07/12/10 12:05 PM

I just finished reading "Blonde Chills," by Lynn Meiseles. An excellent read. EXCELLENT! One would not know this is a first-time novelist.

Now I want to say it DID start out slow and I even put it down for a bit thinking I wasn't going to like it...then I picked it back up and decided to read again. Am I glad I did. I was on the edge of my seat through the rest of the book. ABSOLUTELY!

If you like "who-dun-it" type thrillers, this book is for you. I thought I knew who the killer was about the middle of the book. NOT. I just couldn't figure out the who and why, and I'm a mystery buff so I'm pretty good at this. This author let me know real quick I'm back in the novice category.

What a good book. I can't wait to see what she does next. I'm declaring myself her biggest fan and official groupie.

Bring it on, Linda, your fan club awaits!

Re: What are you reading? - 07/13/10 01:03 AM

I think I will try and locate the book to read, sounds like it's just my type of book to read.

Right now however since being fancy free of work (except for one small manuscript) I am reading signatures here on the forum and checking out other peoples blogs. Not that's fun!!!
Posted by: Dee

Re: What are you reading? - 07/14/10 11:04 PM

I'm reading Cindy's book again...I'm working on her book trailer and am reliving her and her sisters' childhood...such wonderful stories and beauitful memories. This morning I sat on the front porch and over coffee read three quarters of her book non-stop. So captivating. Love it!

Re: What are you reading? - 07/20/10 12:28 AM

Jawjaw,
I was totally impressed with Lynn's thriller, Blonde Chills, as you know. I don't see how it could've been written any other way.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/20/10 10:04 PM

At the present time, I'm reading a how-to book recommended by
my editor, Chatty. Am attempting to hone my writing skills.
"Write Tight" by William Brohaugh, advises, "Say Exactly What You
Mean with Precision and Power." I have the feeling it's easier
said than done! LOL...

Re: What are you reading? - 07/21/10 12:11 AM

jabber, love the title. I"ve read many books on writing, but never that one.

Have you read Stephen King's book, On Writing? If not, I recommend it.

I'm re-reading 28 Days to Taming Your Tongue. It's a good time for me to read this. I have three adult children and I think I should probably chill out with some of my conversation. This book is a great read. It helps you understand WHY you say what you say. I'm still trying to teach lessons and I really don't think I need to do that at this point.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/21/10 01:06 PM

Dotsie,
Yes! I read Stephen King's book on writing a long time ago. Loved
it. And taming the mouth is a difficult thing as well. Some days
the words that fly out of the mouth, are hard to squelch! And I
sure wish I could take some of them back, every now and again.
The tongue seems to have a mind of its own! LOL...

Re: What are you reading? - 07/24/10 10:14 PM

I have found in the past when "opening mouth and inserting my foot," to simply honestly apologize and it usually works. At least it did when they were younger, not so much anymore. I try to keep my mouth shut which isn't easy for me. Easier now since neither one of them comes around.

What are you reading? - 07/24/10 10:22 PM

Didn't like how this post sounded, so I deleted it.

dejavu,
Welcome back. Congratulations on all the publications!

Re: What are you reading? - 07/30/10 12:55 AM

"Kaleidoscope Memories" by Sandpiper aka Cindy Oldham and the
Stees sisters' is an enjoyable, heartwarming, spirit-lifting read! The love and respect these family members have for each other 'tis refreshing, and renews my faith in society's family structure. As I read those Stees girls' childhood antics, joys, and fears, I fell in with mom and dad and all the children. LOVE permeates off these pages! What a fun read! smile

Posted by: dejavu

Re: What are you reading? - 07/31/10 06:45 PM

Hi! I'm new here (well, used to be active a long time back). I recently read "In the Castle of the Flynns", which is a GREAT Boomer book, about life in the 1950's in Chicago, and a very moving family story. It's by Michael Raleigh.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/31/10 08:24 PM

I just finished "The Hearts of Horses" by Molly Gloss. Great read whether your a horse person or not.

Re: What are you reading? - 08/01/10 03:31 PM

Hi Mustang,
Good to hear from you again. I like that last signature line, there. Hope all is well with you!

Re: What are you reading? - 08/02/10 11:10 PM

I've just finished reading "Cheap Cabernet" by Cathie Beck. She is not an NABBW member, so we won't be reviewing her book. But as a memoir, it is fun, poignant and memorable.

Cathie Beck writes of a time in her life (late 30s) when she was facing an Empty Nest and had no women friends. So she ran an ad in the newspaper for women to join a women's group - "Women on the Way," or WOW.

From the group that forms, she becomes BFF with Denise Katz. This is their story. Which ends only with death.

I highly recommend it.

Anne

Re: What are you reading? - 08/03/10 05:53 PM

dejavu, thanks for that recommendation. Sounds like one I'd like. I enjoy readng books that are set in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Was that an Irish Catholic family?

Re: What are you reading? - 08/04/10 09:40 PM

Cutesnoop,
I have many books authored by Joyce Meyer. Love the positive
thinking stuff!

Re: What are you reading? - 08/11/10 10:25 AM

Dotsie,
Yes. One of the funniest scenes in the book is at a Catholic wedding.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/02/10 01:13 PM

Dianne50,
I couldn't get that link to go through either. Welcome to our
cyber home.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/19/10 01:25 PM

Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's about black women and the white women they work for in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi. Good read, especially for a first novel. I'll be looking for more by this author.

Re: What are you reading? - 09/19/10 09:03 PM

I am trying to decide what to read next. I try to vary what I read and just finished a book by Tami Hoag so need something much lighter for the next one! Time to go to Amazon again! LOL
Posted by: Cheverly

Re: What are you reading? - 11/01/10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CrosstitchQueen
Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's about black women and the white women they work for in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi. Good read, especially for a first novel. I'll be looking for more by this author.

I just finished this one too! Great book and I believe it's based on the author's real experiences growing up in Mississippi.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/01/10 07:48 PM

I believe the same thing. My best friend has the book now and when I get it back from her it goes to another friend. Everyone wants it.

I just finished reading a Danielle Steele. I know, I know..........but sometimes I just like an easy read where I don't have to think. Reading her books is kinda like a guilty pleasure for me. The one I just finished was "Southern Lights". I have a copy of her newest called "Legacy" and am debating starting that, or choosing another book from my basket of books waiting to be read..............was hoping to start a new book this afternoon but my aunt called with a crisis and I need to help her out tomorrow so am now trying to do all the things that were on my list for tomorrow. Sigh.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/04/10 03:41 PM

I'm reading a book titled, "Without A Word"; it's written by
Jill Kelly about her son, Hunter James Kelly who had Krabbe disease. Groovy gave it to me for my birthday. I'm about halfway
through it. Hope to finish it soon. Will let you know what impression I come away with.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/04/10 03:42 PM

I like Nora Roberts, too!

Re: What are you reading? - 11/04/10 09:23 PM

I'm reading "Against All Things Ending" by Stephen R. Donaldson. I'm a sci-fi geek.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/05/10 03:58 AM

I've been reading so many wonderful books lately.

I've been reading a lot of good work lately. Among the more memorable: Robin Easton's "Naked In Eden" and Carolyn Agosta's "Every Little Step She Takes." We have some hugely talented women writers among us!

But my husband is a HUGE Donaldson fan, Mustang. I am sure if he knew of this book he would be asking for it for Christmas. He had read all of the prior Thomas Covenant series (Lord Foul's Bane, The One Tree, The Wounded Land.)

I think he's been too busy working to realize this "Last Chronicles" series exists.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/05/10 11:43 AM

Reading "Mother" by Linda Ann Rentschler at the moment. Finally got over my Danielle Steele spree.I guess I don't want to break my perfect record of having read all of her books.

Been looking for "Every Little Step She Takes" in stores near me -- haven't been able to find it?? I know I can order it online but I don't buy much online. Will keep looking.

My husband is a sci-fi reader also. But it varies. At the moment he's reading Dale Brown's "Air Battle Force".

Re: What are you reading? - 11/06/10 10:18 AM

Ann,
"Every Little Step She Takes" is only available online at this point. I'm working to get it into bookstores, but that will take a while. You can order it through Amazon.com, or (soon) through my website using PayPal. I will put up another post when I have the PayPal setup in place. And I'll offer a discount to Boomer women!

Carolyn

Re: What are you reading? - 11/06/10 12:25 PM

Ah, thanks, that explains why I can't find it in the stores!!

Re: What are you reading? - 11/07/10 02:28 PM

I'm waiting for Jawjaw's book to arrive.

Re: What are you reading? - 11/08/10 10:00 AM

I just ordered one of the books linked to in the newsletter, "Retirement Can Be Murder". Looks like it will be a really fun read.

Carolyn

Re: What are you reading? - 11/09/10 02:34 PM

dejavu,
All I know is, WB and I are loving retirement. We've had more fun
since we retired, than we had our entire lives. We love retirement!

Re: What are you reading? - 11/14/10 03:07 PM

JawJaw's book came yesterday and I'm about 50 pages in. I love
it. Find myself laughing out loud. A fun read! Georgia, when
the pigs fly let me know and I'll buy that third book!

It's now Saturday, Nov. 27th and I just finished reading
jawjaw's book. I love the double play on the word "Throne";
the content was a hoot and a real fun read. Now I have to finish William Brouhaugh's "Write Tight," and then on to Joyce Meyer's "Power Thoughts!"
Posted by: Cheverly

Re: What are you reading? - 11/29/10 08:03 PM

i just got home from a trip to San Francisco visiting friends (wonderful trip!) and I finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follet. I loved Pillars of the Earth and this new book definitely did not disappoint.
Posted by: maryannewrites

Re: What are you reading? - 11/30/10 08:47 PM

I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which I found to be a powerful reminder of southern history. Then I read The Noticer by Andy Andrews, which was a tale that proved to be thought provoking in terms of this question: "What is it about me that other people would change if they could?" You may say, "Who cares? I'm me and that's that." But this book does cause one to pause and think about the manner in which we generally treat people. I just downloaded onto my Nook (which I LOVE): The Writing Circle by Corinne Demas and South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I'm not sure which selection I'll start first, but they both look intriguing. Here's to all of us who love to read!! We can be entertained any place at any time.......

Re: What are you reading? - 12/01/10 05:02 PM

Welcome Mary Anne! I love the name Mary Anne; unfortunately I didn't birth a girl or that would've been her name.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/01/10 08:17 PM

Hi and welcome, Mary Anne!

I just clicked on your link to your website and saw you are hosting a writing cruise. What a lovely concept - wish I had time to join you.

Will there be a sequel to your book "Eyelash" once you return? That book was a fun read.

I don't have a Nook, but I did just buy an iPad and I understand there are reader apps one can install. My mother just bought a Kindle and she is a convert!

Re: What are you reading? - 12/02/10 12:03 AM

I'm reading "The Centurian" by Davis Bunn and Jeanette Oakes. It's very good. Tells the story of Leah and Alban after the crucifixion. They are to find out what happened to Jesus' body. So far I like it a lot. Anyone heard of it?

Re: What are you reading? - 12/02/10 03:05 AM

Wrong title for the book. It's "The Centurian's Wife". Sorry about that.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/02/10 10:43 AM

I am reading "Wit and Wisdom," all quotes from famous people and quite interesting.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/03/10 01:47 PM

I'm reading the "Whiteoaks of Jalna" series lately. It's a series of 16 books about a family living in Canada from the late 1800's to the 1950's, written between about 1923 and the 1950's by Mazo De La Roche. Your public library may have it. I love the series and have been reading the books in the order of events, rather than the order written (because Ms. La Roche kind of started in the middle and then went back and wrote prequels). They're great as historic dramas but also fascinating in the oh-so-real characters with plenty of flaws and quirks and loyalties, etc. Lots of fun.

Carolyn

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/10 03:56 PM

These books about settlers in Canada I must seek them out.

when I do even more research for my Ancestry project I see how many family members of my forbearers travelled to new lands.Sometimes due to famine or hard times here in Scotland.The potato blight hit Scotland as well as Ireland.In the 1926 depression two Gt Uncles emigrated.One to Canada the other to Australia.

So any book about the new life that people sought is of interest.The Winthorpe woman about the first settlers in America impressed me many years ago.Imagine building a home from scratch and seeking daily necessities in those long ago times.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/10 06:29 PM

I'm currently reading "The Secret Garden"; somehow missed it until now! frown

I also just downloaded "Cleopatra" (Stacy Schiff)and "To the End of the Land" (David Grossman)for reading next. I was watching "Need to Know" on PBS over the weekend and the authors of both these books were on; they both sounded like books I would want to read.

Also, Robert Alter was on the program; have you heard about him? He is writing new translations of the Bible (only Old Testament, I think). I downloaded a sample of The Wisdom Books to see what all the fuss is about. It seems there are a lot of people who think what he is doing is blasphemous (to put it mildly!) and I don't understand that. He is a renowned scholar who is translating from the original Hebrew. I love reading in the original King James version - makes it more like literature - and I want to see what he makes of it.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/28/10 07:13 PM

As well as reading books from the library I listen to audio books in the kitchen.This is while I prepare meals/ bake or wash dishes.I select a variety from a catalogue most last 20 hours...Favourites are Ian Rankin's Rebus books.Rebus is a detective who lives in Edinburgh where he solves crimes.The author is local and I like spotting local references to places I know well.I joke that I feel I have actually been up to the city such is the authors descriptive natative.
Bedtime reading isn't Rebus...the books are too grafic for unwinding before sleep.Its then I favour more peaceful books.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/10 12:28 AM

I received 3 books as Christmas gifts, so in between reading books for NABBW reviews, I will finally join the crowd of people who have read books by Steig Larsson. My son gave me "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," as well as "The Girl Who Played with Fire." My Dad gave me a large book by an author I've not heard of: Karleen Koen, and the book is her second: "Now Face to Face." Her first book was titled "Through a Glass Darkly." Anyone with any knowledge of Koen?

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/10 05:57 PM

Steig Larson being Scandnavian falls into the genre of Nordic crime..and a recent TV discusion showed how this differs say from my Ian Rankin.I attended a discussion at a book festival from a group of Nordic authors..the climate and short days lend a slant to the writers.Many are quite dark.
I like books that show a different culture it expands my thought process.

Re: What are you reading? - 12/29/10 07:38 PM

Thanks, Mountain Ash, I will try to find time to start reading this weekend.
Posted by: greene

Re: What are you reading? - 01/01/11 09:57 PM

I love my kindle that santa brought me. Also love all the classics that are free to download and enjoy again!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/01/11 11:09 PM

Yes, Greene, the freebies are great! I also love the free ebooks from authors who want to get you hooked on a series by making the first one free!
Posted by: greene

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/11 01:36 PM

I have to admit that the last couple of days I have been spending more time on the New York Times crossword puzzle I downloaded than doing any serious reading.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/11 01:47 PM

Just finished a book called Look Again by Lisa Scottoline. Fiction, interesting topic, single mom with adopted son discovers thru one of those "have you seen this child?" flyers that he was kidnapped as a baby and his parents have been searching for him. I gather she's got a lot of other books out and I might have to add some to my pile of books waiting to be read.

Will start a new book today hopefully, love starting a new book!
Posted by: Danita

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/11 03:03 PM

I'm reading three books right now...

Buy my favorite is "go givers sell more".

I think it is a revolutionary book about focusing on others..it has totally changed my thinking about life in general..and sales.

Danita

Re: What are you reading? - 01/02/11 09:22 PM

Sounds great Danita. I'm going that title with my sons; one who is business/marketing and the other who has his own business. Sounds perfect.

Anyone here read Jodi Picolt? My niece gave me Keeping Faith for Christmas. I'm just getting in to it. Not sure about it yet. I'll let you know.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 12:04 AM

I've read every Jodi Picoult!! Enjoyed some more than others.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 02:03 AM

Just started KILLER HEART by Brenda Novak, a suspense thriller.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 03:24 AM

I just finished the best novel I've read in a long time. Chatty if you've not read "The Art of Racing in the Rain," you would love it as would anyone who loves dogs and enjoys books. It's written from the perspective of Enzo, the dog.

Also finished "Water for Elephants" a fair read with a lot of graphic action-probably a movie soon.

Now reading "Peace Like a River," a little better than Elephants, but kind of depressing so far.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 02:37 PM

I'm working on reading Joyce Meyer's "Power Thoughts"; IMO it's much like Norman Vincent Peal's, Power of Positive Thinking.
Both beliefs walk along the same lines.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 07:32 PM

Cool, Jabber! I've not heard of that author or book, but I just wrote about several of NVP's points in my NABBW New Year's message, which ought to finally get published later today. Anyone who espouses those sorts of thoughts would definitely be worth reading. I will have to check her(I'm assuming) out ASAP...

Re: What are you reading? - 01/03/11 07:33 PM

Hi Smilinize, I agree, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is a fantastic book. I loved Enzo...

Re: What are you reading? - 01/04/11 12:55 AM

I am ordering that book today Janis. If you and Anne both loved it, then it must be my kind of book... Thanks!!!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/04/11 02:43 PM

Anne,
Yes, she, Joyce Meyer, has a world outreach ministry. I've been listening to her TV Program "Enjoying Everyday Life," and reading her books for years now. She's a boomer, with "down to earth" and "where the rubber meets the road" sort of teaching. She's an everyday housewife [with a high school education only] from Fenton, Missouri, whose teachings reach millions upon millions of folks with Bible based ideals.

P.S. After I read your news letter, I, too, thought it a coincidence we both mentioned Norman V. Peale at the same time!
Posted by: judym

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 10:32 PM

just re read for the umpteeth time, The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy. The basis of the movie Conrack. That man can spin a phrase into sheer poetry. I love the lowcountry of GA/SC this is a keeper

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 10:44 PM

wISHING TO KNOW: how many of you are irritated and bereft at the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn rewrite to take out the offensive N word, despite that Mark Twain wrote that so long ago and it was the missive of a much more simpler and adventurous time? I know that Twain wrote that from his own experiences, and I am so ANNOYED they are trying to make it PC. when we were taught that in HS and College, it was rejoinded by the N word, which is Never A good thing or pleasant. But seriously, it was written in that timeframe....and it should not be decimated by the pc of today. Think of ALL the books we were taught in the BEST teachers' literature clases...Franny and Zooey, Catcher in the Rye...All the Shakespeare would be suspect...and Fareheit 451. I was benefited by having an awesome literature and creative writing teacher that did not stand to public comment, she understood the treasure of the written word....all I can think now is yes, Farenheit 451, all books decimated...e readers, then none on the shelves...and in the mind of pc and public consciousness...no books at all... banninng literature is bad enough, but to CHANGE the words, that is just ludicrous. Shame on them and shame on us to allow such to happen, Long live the literature that enlightens us all, and the music, and the arts, and everything that keeps us HUMAN! We all strive and desire that bit of life that is in keeping with our spirit...

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 10:55 PM

Hi Judy,

I hadn't heard of that happening, but I did want to share that anyone interested in Mark Twain might want to pick up his newly published autobiography...

Volume One, which is a hefty (weighs in at over 3.5 pounds and features over 700 pages) treat, was just recently published and I gave a copy of it to my SIL for Christmas. He was delighted.

It REALLY is his autobiography, but apparently he left word that it not be published until 100 years after his death, so as not to offend anyone...

Which is why I thought of it, when you mentioned the recent editing of Huck Finn.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 11:02 PM

Jabber,

Thanks for the extra info about Joyce Meyer. I'll try to add her books to my reading list.

So glad you enjoyed the recent Boomer Women's World New Year's message. If anyone would like to see what I said about Norman Vincent Peale, and is NOT on the NABBW mailing list - my holiday letter is posted at BWW - Happy New Year

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 11:22 PM

Joyce Meyer is one totally on the point woman. I hope you can see her programs,and read her many books - she really brings the issues to the fore, from an edge that is where our generation is at..Plus on her program, that lady knows how to dress and keep it current (sad sideline, I know, but who of us does't need that perk? Joyce Meyer,she has a good ken of life as it rocks us, and she justs get to the business of things....I hope you can see her programs on tv...they are worthy of getting up really early and tuning in!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 11:25 PM

Water for Elephants..now a good and ponderous read, and so worthy! Read on, girls, it's all good! no matter what you pick up and deign to, it's all just reading and wonderful, and benefits we take some from it. Don't you know, our literature and reading teachers from long and well ago are so happy we keep our eyes and minds to what they taught us to appreciate!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/05/11 11:28 PM

got that, his autobiograhpy is really a wonderous ride. Reading it now. I am just so annoyed they want to change his words. It's just so wrong on so many levels. Wasn't he such a character in his life, despite his hardships? What an consummate American Author.
Posted by: Lola

Re: What are you reading? - 01/06/11 11:32 PM

Huck Finn made news over here today. If there is anything that makes me cross is when folks tamper with Classic literature and history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12126700
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/07/11 02:57 AM

I've been trying to read LITTLE WOMEN but I just can't get through it! I know it's a classic and all that, but I find myself skimming pages. Too much author intrusion and preachiness. I just finished Fannie Flagg's I STILL DREAM ABOUT YOU and enjoyed it. That's more my style.

A plug for my own book is included in my signature! It's a story of three Baby Boomer women who search for their high school steadies.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/07/11 03:01 AM

Amen to that. If we took everything out of books that might be offensive, there wouldn't be much left to read!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/10/11 03:56 AM

I loved Water for Elephants. Not the sort of thing I usually read -- man's point of view -- but it was fascinating. A glimpse at a time and way of life that I knew almost nothing about.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/10/11 04:00 AM

Re Jodi Picoult: LOVE her books. My favorite so far is My Sister's Keeper. It was made into a movie, but I haven't seen it because I'm afraid it will disappoint me.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/10/11 01:33 PM

I read My Sister's Keeper and I saw the movie (after I read the book). They changed the ending in the movie (Jodi Picoult used to have a statement on her website that once she sold the rights to the book she had no control over what they did in the movie, it might still be there I haven't looked). I don't know that I'd go so far as to say the movie was a disappointment -- it's still a good movie -- but you just need to be aware that unlike some movies I've seen where I've read the book and they followed the book pretty closely, this one had a very different ending. And as usual -- the book was better!!

Re: What are you reading? - 01/12/11 12:25 AM

Thanks, Ann, for the report on the movie - My Sister's Keeper. I think I'll rent it after all.

Re: What are you reading? - 01/12/11 01:22 PM

I hope you enjoy it! I thought the gal who played the older sister -- the sick one -- did a great job. She's the same gal who plays the oldest daughter on the TV show Medium.
Posted by: Betty

Re: What are you reading? - 01/26/11 12:21 AM

Hi ladies - I just joined this forum and am thrilled to see some book recommendations. I'm an avid reader and will have to check out some of the recommendations. I just finished reading a self help book called "Fight Fat After Forty" by Pamela Peeke. It as great and explained alot about the changes our body goes through as we age. Loved it!
Posted by: TheStoryLady

Re: What are you reading? - 01/27/11 08:04 PM

I read a lot of books!

While I do some fun fitness on the WiiFit, I am reading Think and Grow Rich again. Listening to the audio.

I'm also reading Key to Living the Law of Attraction by Jack Canfield, which has been recommended to me for a couple years. Finally getting around to reading it! I like how this book has places to write your dreams, plans and purpose.

I tried reading Bridge of Signs but after about a third through I was so bored I put it down.

For fiction, I'm just starting Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Not really that engaging at the start IMO but we'll see.

The Help is on my list to read too.

Mountain Ash, I am also researching my family tree, and it is really interesting. You really GET that we're all related when you start seeing that you come from EVERYWHERE.

Ronda

Re: What are you reading? - 01/31/11 08:26 PM

Just finished Joyce's "Power Thoughts" and loved it. She has
authored something like 80 books; I have a few of 'em. The mind is a battlefield and our thoughts can make us or break us.
I'm glad I read this book. I believe her 12 Power Thoughts will be a huge help.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/01/11 01:12 PM

"Mountain Ash, I am also researching my family tree, and it is really interesting. You really GET that we're all related when you start seeing that you come from EVERYWHERE."
Rhonda
I am deep in Antrim Glens in Northern Ireland at present.(Actually in mind but not body) it is difficult to research there from a distance so I have found a kindred spirit..who is obtaining the certificates I need to delve further.

finding signatures of ancestors on pledges that shaped that land...so so interesting.This part is leading to me planning a trip to the family place...and I am reading history and poetry of the times looking up photographs and maps...for me this is such a pleasure.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/01/11 06:41 PM

Hi Ronda, The Story Lady!

Welcome to the BWS forum. We are delighted to get to know you, and I've been enjoying your posts.

Just had to chime in about one of the books you mentioned, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." I got it, and the second book in the trilogy as Christmas presents from my son, and have now read both of them.

I DO agree that the book starts out slowly, but what is amazing to me was discovering that that 700+ page book is ONE-THIRD of a trilogy.

Essentially the story arc covers 2100 pages.

So he (author) does start out a bit slowly, as there is so much groundwork he has to lay.

Based on my opinion, but I will be interested in what others have found, the book is worth the effort to read.

And, you can stop at the end of that book, if you want. The ending is satisfactory enough. BUT the third book books picks up seconds after the second one ends.

so if you decide to read "The Girl Who Played with Fire" be warned that you will NOT WANT TO MISS "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."

By the way, I am only one chapter into the third book, so I don't yet have any idea how it ends...

I've heard Nordic fiction is a bit dark. So I am hoping for a happy ending of some sort...

Re: What are you reading? - 02/02/11 06:55 PM

Just started "Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy: Times to Remember". So far, very good.

I so enjoy reading first person books.

Just finished Mary Higgins Clark, too. Just got introduced to her and really like her style! And they are set where I grew up!

Re: What are you reading? - 02/03/11 02:43 AM

I read a lot (too much?) and THE HELP is one of my favorite recent books. It presents a good snapshot of a certain place (Jackson, Mississippi) during a certain period of time (the Civil Rights movement) told from the point of view of the country club set. The story teaches while being entertaining. I'd recommend it.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/03/11 01:42 PM

Sandy, I agree. The Help was one of the best books I'd read in a while, I believe it was the author's first novel. Does anyone know if she's come out with another one yet?

Re: What are you reading? - 02/05/11 08:34 PM

I checked Kathryn Stockett's website and didn't see any other books listed. http://www.kathrynstockett.com/
Let's hope she's working on another one!

Re: What are you reading? - 02/06/11 12:19 AM

I don't have the book here (lent it to a friend) but seem to remember something in the back of the book about a new novel she's working on.......I might not be remembering correctly.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/09/11 02:37 PM

I'd like to recommend "Kaleidoscope Memories" by Cindy Oldham and her sisters. A member of NABBW, you can read about The Stees sisters stories celebrating childhood, family life @ www.NABBW.com...I've read "Kaleidoscope Memories" and must say, as jawjaw said, it brings back memories of the games we played and the trouble we got into. It brings back yesteryear, and the subjects discussed here. Great fun.

Anne,
I'm thinking your mom might be interested in watching Joyce Meyer's TV show, "Enjoying Everyday Life." Joyce was wrongfully treated and abused by her dad for many, many years.
And Joyce has survived breast cancer. Her positive thinking has helped me for several decades now. I just finished reading "Power Thoughts" and am re reading "Knowing God Intimately" and "Reduce Me to Love," Unlocking The Secret to Lasting Joy by Joyce.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/17/11 02:46 PM

I'm reading two Joyce Meyer books at the same time and have
two more waiting in the wings. Can't seem to get enough of this
positive mindset thing. But then again, life has pushed me in that direction! LOL...
Posted by: Coachjudith

Re: What are you reading? - 02/17/11 08:13 PM

I am probably ready for the Shack again. I needed time before starting that one again.
Coach Judith

Re: What are you reading? - 02/17/11 10:06 PM

Thanks, Jabber for suggesting my mother might benefit from watching Joyce Meyer's TV show, "Enjoying Everyday Life."

I will be happy to tell her about it. What network caries it?

She's not too much of a TV watcher. They watch the network news at 6 and a few shows like Masterpiece Theater" on their PBS station. But not much else, as far as I can tell.... They're much more into public TV than the commercial networks.

However, I'm sure she would be open to taking a look, given the high praise you are giving it.

Re: What are you reading? - 02/17/11 10:11 PM

Jabber, thanks for bringing up "Kaleidoscope Memories."

Here's the link to the review on the NABBW site:
Kaleidoscope Memories

Re: What are you reading? - 02/18/11 07:21 PM

Anne,
Joyce Meyer is on the Christian TV Network, we have Dish Network, so I don't know what your mom would have. Joyce has a worldwide ministry, and has been preaching full time since 1980.

Thanks for the Kaleidoscope Memories link. Love it; it's a great read and jj did a wonderful review.

Re: What are you reading? - 03/01/11 12:22 PM

I got back my copy of Kathyrn Stockett's "The Help" -- unfortunately my friend lent it to her sister who managed to lose the paper cover that came on the hardback (argghh!!) There's nothing inside the book about a next novel. So I may have been wrong about that, unless it was on the inside flap of the paper cover. Sigh. Why don't people take care of things they borrow?? Why would you remove the paper cover from a book while you're reading it? I guess I was lucky to get the book back, my friend said her sister had to hunt all over the house to find it. My friend, who appreciates a good book, was annoyed with her sister for not taking care of it, too.

Re: What are you reading? - 03/01/11 12:25 PM

I am about 2/3 of the way thru The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Several friends have told me what a great series this is (this book followed by The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest). Anybody else read these or reading them? Can't make up my mind what I think, so far. I keep reading it, but I don't get what the big deal is. Yea I want to find out what happens, but it's not like I can't put it down (admittedly those kind of reads are hard to find and when you do it's so great!!) I have the next one in the series, but still need to pick up a copy of the last one, if I'm going to keep going, I guess.

Re: What are you reading? - 03/01/11 12:28 PM

One last note........I checked Kathryn Stockett's website and it says they are making a movie out of The Help.

Re: What are you reading? - 03/08/11 04:07 AM

I just finished reading DECADES by Ruth Harris. It's the story of three women - a mother, a daughter, and an "other woman" - whose lives are enmeshed. The plot takes place over several decades, starting in the 1940s through the 1970s, and the author ties the events in the characters' lives to the attitudes of the times. She also mentions pivotal events that are happening at the time of the scenes in the book (post-war baby boom, JFK assassination, Vietnam war protests, The Pill, etc.) I'd recommend it.
Note: I bought DECADES on Amazon as an ebook for my Kindle; however, I believe it is also available in paper.

Re: What are you reading? - 03/08/11 12:43 PM

That sounds like the kind of book I love to read. I've added it to my list and am going to look for it. thanks for the recommendation!!

I just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and am getting started on the 3rd and last in this series, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Not my usual kind of read but kinda good to read something different for a change.
Posted by: montx

Re: What are you reading? - 07/07/19 11:13 AM

In the middle of reading "Managing Magic: the Governments UFO Disclosure Plan." A second cousin asked that I read it, so I'm trying - forcing myself to work through the words. It reads like a man's diary would, if there is such a thing.
I'm interested in disclosure. It is time we learn the truth.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/08/19 09:13 PM

Montx, reading your last comment, I am reminded of the phrase, "The truth is out there," which was made famous by the now-defunct TV show, 'The X-Files." I'll be curious what your reading reveals.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of different books.
JED DIAMOND, PHD's latest book "12 Rules for Good Men," which will be published in October, I believe. I received an advance copy, because he asked me to write one of those one paragraph blurbs that often appear on books' back covers or on the first few pages, before the book actually starts. It's an interesting book, I was surprised that one of his first rules is for men to become members of a men's support group...

MARTHA BOLTON's (current NABBW member) latest book, "Forgettable Jokes for Older Folks: Jokes you wish you could remember about things you thought you'd never forget." Martha is a former staff writer for Bob Hope, and has written for Phyllis Diller, Mark Lowry, Chonda Pierce and others. So clearly a fun book, and I will be posting a review on the NABBW site soon.

JENNIFER CHIAVERINI's (author of "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker") new book "Resistance Women: A Novel," is an amazing story of four extraordinarily courageous women, who narrate the book. Historical fiction, 3 of the women are based on real women, who originally met in Madison, Wisconsin, where they were University students. The majority of the story is set in Europe, primarily Germany, beginning in the 1930s. So through the eyes of these women, we see that Berlin is a thriving, intellectual place, but Hitler and the Nazi party are on the rise. The women resolve to resist, and risk their lives to collect information from journalists, military officers and officials within the highest levels of the Nazi party. Highly recommended book.

LIZZIE SHANE's book, "The Decoy Bride," is a fun rom-com romp. Movie star Maggie Tate hires a look-alike, struggling artist Bree, to act as her decoy when she wants to escape to the South Pacific to marry in secret. Bree's job is to spend those three weeks distracting the paparazzi by staging a fake wedding half a world away. What could possibly go wrong, right? Fun book.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/09/19 02:02 AM

The two in the middle sound interesting. I don't read much fiction. Haven't for years. But I will on recommendation, and if our library system has it or can get it for me.
I'm almost finished with this one and another, called "Henry Rice, the Tennessee Grist Miller, and his Twelve Children." It's a genealogy read, so I have to finish it soon - brought in from Illinois through inter-library loan. Then I intend to read Julie Ryan's "Angelic Attendants: What Really Happens As We Transition From This Life Into The Next." I heard her being interviewed on a radio station, not too long ago. From that one, I'm going to Dr. Pasulka's "American Cosmic: UFOs, Religion, Technology" (back to the UFO topic, with a diif. twist).
The truth is surely out there. I'm thinking it's going to be far too much for many to handle, if and when disclosure occurs.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/28/19 03:02 PM

"Where The Crawdads Sing" is a great read.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/29/19 02:37 AM

"Managing Magic: the Governments UFO Disclosure Plan." I found it totally boring.
My library hasn't found me a copy of "Angelic Attendants: What Really Happens As We Transition From This Life Into The Next," so I skipped to Sidney Powell's "LICENSED TO LIE: Exposing Corruption in the Department of Justice." I say "wow," probably 'cause I was practically in the middle of the Arthur Anderson Acctg Firm dealings. The firm did the external audits for the the corporation I worked for. I was the rep's go to for answers to any questions. I wanted to work for the firm so badly, due to that relationship. Now, I know the Lord was looking after me when that door didn't open for me. I had no idea things were as bad as they were, until reading Sidney's book. Reading it also helped me better understand what was (and still is) going on with the Russian Collusion Hoax against DJT. Some of the same players are involved. They are unethical and crooked, to say the least.
Sidney Powell is now Lt. General Flynn's attorney. I hope she can WSA!
So, I'm jumping into, "Why You Get Sick and How Your Brain Can Fix It!" Or, "The Flute of God," which was recommended by a friend. We'll see how it goes.

Re: What are you reading? - 07/30/19 07:59 PM

Well, I would certainly like to know what really happens when we die and then transition to the next life.
But it would seem to me that the only people who can answer this are people who have died and then somehow come back to life. The little boy, Colton Burpo, is the only person I know of who has said he did this and has never recanted his story. (I'm sure there must be others, as I'm not omniscient! )

What is WSA?