What online business groups do you belong to?

Posted by: Casey

What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/05/07 08:47 PM

For those of you who are entrepreneurs, which online business forums and groups do you belong to? Also, which associtions and conferences to you attend? Thanks!
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/05/07 09:18 PM

I tried Konnects but with no luck yet. Being a brand new business owner, I'll be most interested in what others have to say, especially positive recommendations.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/06/07 10:33 PM

Casey, I'd love to belong to other forums, but rarely have the time due to the time invested here. However, I will occasionally use the forums for software products I use for the association, etc.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/07/07 08:24 PM

I'm bringing this to the forefront again just to see if we can get some participation....very interesting!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/07/07 09:00 PM

http://www.solo-e.com is undoubtedly one of my fav's...I would have to sit and think to remember ALL. But this one, along with Karen Greenstreet's site, www.PassionForBusiness.com have proven themselves to be of great value to me, as a solo-preneur.

Societies? Let's see...there's the National Association of Moat Owners, the Fluffy Anonomous, th----whattt?

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/08/07 04:40 PM

These are great JJ! Thank you?

I think I qualify for Fluffy Anonymous...my name is Casey and I am a recovering Fluffy addict. I have over 20 stuffed bears in my house, not to mention the gorilla...and I'm trying to wean myself from purchasing more...but who knows who will appear under the Christmas tree????
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/08/07 09:43 PM

I spend a good deal of time here in BWS, it is my favorite past time when not too busy...

I am the the Moderator of:
www.authorsociety.proboards103.com/index.cgi?

A contributor to: storycrafters, myspace, Book Marketing Network, Published Authors, HWG Forum, Bebo.com, Mystery Writers, Feed Blitz. Book Place...others are PETA, ASPCA, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary...
Posted by: dancer9

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 12:45 AM

I belong to a site that you need to be invited to join for people who are entertainers or producers, directors, artists, etc...
It's very private because of the press but it's a good place to be if you are laying low and avoiding press but want to say something or tell people about something going on that affects all of us or could affect us. It's hard to explain but it's a site for people who can't join some forums because they need to stay under the radar and the press can exploit anything they say.
I have to go back there when I work a lot because touring from city to city and giving interviews can make me nervous about posting on a public forum.
As I come out of my illness, I'm nervous about that more and more and I only post here...
I feel I'm "safe," here until I put something else out in the public and then I'll see how I feel here. I probably will feel "safe," but the difference will be that I am now doing interviews which I avoided when my children were living with me. I had to lay very low because of the "fame," aspect taking away your personal life. I avoided interviews and only did a few. Now, I'm open to them and have turned up on the front page of the business section of my Sunday paper not long ago already.
dancer

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 01:01 AM

Well duh? I'm a member of the National Association of Baby Boomer Women! LOL! How could I forget?

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 01:02 AM

Duh, oh yes, Jaw Jaw, so am I!
dancer, LOL

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 02:18 PM

Dancer! Cool! You're a member of the NABBW? I didn't realize that. I hope you're taking advantage of all that the membership offers.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 03:18 PM

Thanks, J.J. I've been to both of the sites you suggested earlier and love them! Lots of knowledge there....God knows I need it.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/09/07 11:48 PM

Dancer, I have a master's in theater and worked in professional theater a bit, so I know what you are talking about. It's always amazing to me how much people think they "own" people who happen to be in the public forum.

To get back to the topic at hand...I just found www.sbtv.com which has a forum list. I haven't joined yet...I substitute taught for a kindergarden class today that wiped me out!!

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 12:44 AM

Casey, I just wanted to say,I LOVE theater people like you! If you looked at my resume' so to speak, you would see some dance theater and some plays I have choreographed and I'll tell you, those theater types are outstanding people! I love them! Those like you who take the time to study, love the theater and are so talented! I just love the experience of working on a play as a choreographer, or producing and choreographing a dance theater piece. I majored in Character Dance because I love it so much.

I'm pleased to be on a forum with at theater person such as yourself!

Merry, Merry!
dancer, your theater family

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 01:20 AM

Jaw Jaw,
Actually, I'm not really big-time ambitious! I have had a big career by following public demand. I started so young that I knew nothing else. For example, MGM called me, I did not audition and never have auditioned for anything! I have three calls right now that are public performances but I will only take the ones that I can do in my present condition. I have been where I have been soley on being there and doing my job. I do not network, I do not name drop, I don't even push myself in the press because I want a personal life.
An example would be when I ended up on the front of a Sunday business section in a large newspaper and it was a big photo! I did not ask or even think they would use a photo of me but they asked for a release after taking a photo so I signed because, "why not?"

I am in the right place at the right time because if I push it, I find I am not at my best and I don't like appearing "hungry," if you can understand.

I don't play the game at all. The funny thing is that when people ask me how to "make it," I tell them to be good at what they do! That's all I concentrated on, my lessons! I studied dance and voice and ended up where I did and never had any lean days! I never toured the country playing little gigs and I never performed with any band that was unknown. I've had a life so far that seems to be there for me and I don't question it. I have never had ANY time off until I became as sick as I did and it was forced time off.

Now that I am getting stronger and talking to people more, I find the offers come in again.

I ended up judging the first leg of the "Miss New Mexico," pageant and I don't like pageants! My friend asked me to and I owed her one, so I did it!

Things walk up on me, I just go along with what works for me and concentrate on being the best person and artist that I can be.

I like a layed back approach to work. Funny thing is, when I work I seem to have too much work to get done!I still have offers sitting there! One is a television show they want me to choreograph, for example. I just let it happen to me...

If I had to scratch and crawl, I'd be a dishwasher first! Not a problem for me, I'm not the type to toot my horn. I'v actually done WAY more than I admit!

I had a girl where I get coffee bring in a magazine once and shove it at me and say," That's you, isn't it?"

dancer in repose.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 01:37 AM

I'm trying to understand the point here? If you are saying that ALL has come to you with little or no effort on your part, that's just fantastic! We should all be as fortunate as you have been. Kudos!

But I have to say that I love what I do and I'm very passionate about it, just as I'm sure LadyJane and others are. I have never thought of my marketing efforts as "playing a game" and certainly not scratching and crawling. It is all a labor of love.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 02:17 AM

Jaw Jaw,
I certainly was not implying anything!
What I was trying to do is explain MYSELF, since everyone knows everyone else here. I was making comments on who I am and hoping it would help others know me.

I was not implying anything, again. I had no hidden meaning and I apologize if it sounded like I do. I was just telling you or anyone how I approach my life. I didn't think anyone would compare themselves to me, and I don't compare myself to anyone else!
All of the women here have been generous, kind and helpful as they could be. I could not have been happier on any site! I was and am so impressed with how open everyone is.

Yes, there are those in my business who would sell their first born for a slot on a reality show, but I was saying that was not me. It was only about me.

I am a bit hurt here that you might take that post as implying that anyone here is anything but kind and caring!
If I speak in general about my line of work, it is about my experience.

I do have my own approach, personality and beleif system and I merely tried to put that in a post when I had the chance.

I will also say that YOU, Jaw Jaw, have been very kind to me and have given me a laugh or two as well. It hurts me to tthink that you think ill of me.

It scares me to think I would be taken as anything but a woman who enjoys, enjoyed, this site and all the women here.

dancer9

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 02:28 AM

Again, I'm confused. Why would you think I think ill of you? I was commenting on how wonderful it is that you have not had to promote or do the marketing.

Then I simply stated that I think of MY promotions as a labor of love.

I think you are reading wayyyyy more into my response than is there. Wayyyy more. Lighten up hon, you CAN and SHOULD be yourself in this forum. Of that I can guarantee you.

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 11/10/07 02:30 AM

understood, Jaw Jaw, and I would like to say that I admire your site very much which I saw today, for a couple reasons. It impressed me for a few qualities that are unique to it.

Just wanted to say that and I will tell you why in a PM.

dancer9
Posted by: bluebonbonbonnie

Re: What online business groups do you belong to? - 06/17/08 05:52 AM

Startup Nation, a couple of pet groomer sites, and several poety forums. And here, of course.