Jewelry Making....

Posted by: Whirlwind

Jewelry Making.... - 07/27/05 10:03 PM

I'm interested in learning to make sterling silver jewelry, for sale at arts and craft shows.

However, I've been unable to find ANY classes or good references for this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Whirlwind
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Jewelry Making.... - 07/29/05 05:25 AM

Check into Adult Ed or Continuing Ed classes. Your local JC may have classes available to the larger community for a small fee.

If you get a book and do it at home, be advised that you'll probably have to spend several $thou- to get your tools and equipment.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Jewelry Making.... - 07/29/05 06:30 PM

whirlwind, you may also want to check at your local craft, or bead stores. Sometimes they offer classes. Too bad you don't live near Meredith. She is the boomer jewelry queen. Have you checked out her site?
Posted by: Whirlwind

Re: Jewelry Making.... - 07/29/05 06:47 PM

I have found costume jewelry and beading classes, but nothing to do with silver.

I will check out Meredith's site.

Thanks for the help!

Whirlwind
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Jewelry Making.... - 07/30/05 01:25 PM

I have a 5-year BFA in studio art/ metalsmithing/ jewelry making, but it's very difficult to make a living at it. This doesn't mean impossible, but you need to go into it knowing that it may take a while and a good deal of financial investment. That's why my income is from beadwork, not what I studied in college.

Craft stores will not offer classes in metalsmithing. That's why I suggested JC's and Continuing Ed.