A business Christmas "miracle"....

Posted by: ladyjane

A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/26/07 03:34 PM

For those who hadn't noticed my saga for the last few months regarding my new home care business....patience and work have paid off and I have my first client! No, doesn't sound like much but it's a good beginning and I'm so encouraged. Just reporting in!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/26/07 05:37 PM

Congratulations LadyJane! I know you'll be a great care giver
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/26/07 05:51 PM

Awesome...break a leg...no...wait...don't break a leg...LOL!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 01:05 AM

Congratulations LJ! Yeah!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 03:06 AM

Hip hih hoorah for your first patient. Better to be the caregiver than the one needing the care, right??? So happy for you!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 04:52 AM

That's great Lady Jane! I can remember my first house sale. I think I yodelled all the way home. Yes the windows were up.
Posted by: gims

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 05:19 AM

I am so proud of you!
And, another Congrats!
You're on your way.

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 12:28 PM

Thanks all, I know I will look back on this and wonder what I was so excited about....but I think it will be something I'll never forget! There's a wonderful facility a couple of towns away that made this referral. It includes solo housing, assistant living, skilled care, dementia unit all in one is really beautiful. I was honored to be "chosen" for this lady. I do the intake visit tomorrow and start right away. Here's hoping the referrals start rolling in!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/27/07 07:18 PM

This is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. How lucky the person receiving your care is.
Posted by: Casey

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/28/07 05:32 PM

Jane, Great news! Yes, that first client is always amazing. "You mean you are actually going to give me money for doing this???" LOL!

I hope you have a financially prosperous 2008!
Posted by: ElevatingYourBusiness

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 12/29/07 08:53 AM

hip hip.. cherro-o and all that good stuff!

Wishing you many more in a short amount of time!

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 01:45 PM

And the saga continues....my client went into the hospital and will be going to a facility after. That's why in this business, you need severall all of the time. So I feel I'm back to square one and have done everything I know how to do as far as marketing. So again I'm looking at a regular job until things can pick up. I've been caught in a difficult position. I'm in an enterprise program with the state and receive my weekly payments. Any work I do for my business is not deducted. However, if I get a regular job I lose it. So I've been holding out as long as possible but I can't foresee this going on indefinitely. I need income now. If I get a job, there's a chance I'd have to leave it rather quickly if/when things pick up!!...which really isn't fair to a job and yet I'd have little choice. Any ideas on legitimate things I can do from home that would pick up the slack? Just wondering what my immediate future should be and would love your comments and ideas...thanks!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 02:01 PM

Jane, did you receive membership just recently to the NABBW? If so, you could check the directory of members, find ones that may live in your area, and email them asking them if they know of anyone who might need the caregiving.

Also, have you thought out putting an ad in the newspaper? A small ad?

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 02:21 PM

JJ, thanks for replying. I've been placing ads in the smaller community papers everywhere around the Greater Portland area. They're more noticeable and community oriented. Yes!!!! I am now an NABBW member (and very excited about it). I don't have the ability to log in yet but that should be coming? I'm anxious to take advantage of anything there that could be helpful. Either that or I'll start selling cigars online! I SO don't want another boss....but...I'll do whatever I have to do. Thanks!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 02:46 PM

I hear ya gal...A woman's gotta do. I should have known you've covered your basis with the ads. I'm racking my brain trying to think of something, and if I'll do, I'll post it. Keep thinking positive!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 04:05 PM

LadyJane
personel depatments of big companies may have information about staff abscence due to family commitment.A flyer sent to the PA there may reap some clients.
I know from friends who have taken work abscence and then have to decide to retire to care dependants or find carers feel the need for advice.
Mounain ash
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/13/08 07:00 PM

Jane is there such a thing as a temporary service agency for a care giver? That might be an ideal situation to fill the gap till your business is on a roll.

I would think there are a lot of elderly in old age homes that would appreciate additional care. Usually the residents get just a minimum amount of attention. It would be practical if you had several clients within the same home to care for. Maybe an old age home could suggest patients that would appreciate additional services. You could suggest paying them a commission, if they are able to organize a client for you.

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/14/08 12:52 PM

Yes, there are many agencies around that I could be a caregiver for. The good thing about those is that all positions are per diem only due to the nature of the business. Usually they can keep you more than busy and they would be easier to leave when the time comes. Or, if I can find a private duty position....those are sometimes better but the commitment to these people is very important...and maybe I could just move them to my business if needed.

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/14/08 12:55 PM

Mountain Ash, very interesting idea...I've never thought of that one...thanks!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: A business Christmas "miracle".... - 01/14/08 05:45 PM

I nknow of two different boomers who took unpaid leave when their elderly parent fell.In both cases Human resources only allow so long and then arrangements had to be made for a carer.One had ben in the same school all her career then if she had stayed off on her return she would have to fit in wherever a vacancy existed.I was able to connect her to a nurse/carer.The other had to use a residential home although if a carer had been found it would have sufficed.
Good luck