Designer Rooms

Posted by: chatty lady

Designer Rooms - 08/04/10 10:48 PM

Ever seen a room in a friends new home that they paid a designer a fortune to design and it is as ugly as all get out? I have, and still haven't told my neighbor what I think. She loves it and thinks it is so different. I'll say!!! I have no words to even describe the new living room so I am avoiding her. MY ex met her husband at the clubhouse and he is devastated and hates the room and the price...
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Designer Rooms - 08/06/10 04:30 AM

Chatty, what does the room look like?

I think a room should have a harmonious atmosphere. Everything should go together. Of course some exceptions are allowed, but basically a room should have no more than three main colours and a theme like; country, modern, beach, etc. I think you can learn alot from hotel lobbies or even restaurants.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Designer Rooms - 08/06/10 10:29 AM

I'd love to hear what it is that you don't like. We're getting ready to do our dining room and bedroom. The theme is less is best with simple colors, and NO wallpaper. The dining room currently has wallpaper above the chair rail, and the bedroom has a border all the way around and paper on one wall. Can't wait to make some changes that will lighten up the rooms.

EW, we also soak things up when we travel. We got the idea for an arched doorway from The Inn at Perry Cabin when we stayed there right before we turned our two car garage in to a kitchen.

http://www.perrycabin.com/web/omic/inn_at_perry_cabin.jsp

We've been there a few times. You'd love it. It's right on the water! One time we went by boat.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Designer Rooms - 08/07/10 06:52 PM

Can't say I was ever much of an interior designer.

That said, I tend to like wall colours on the lighter side with contrasting colour in furniture and textiles. I find dark coloured walls not great especially in winter or on grey days.

I would think that as a person gets older and their circle of family shrinks and friends change, it's better to lean towards more harmonious, "lighter" colours that are relaxing yet uplighting in nature.

In my most 'rebellious' energetic tastes, i still prefer lighter coloured rms., but some exotic/ odd touch of flamboyance in colour accents or flowers, paintings. I couldn't be completely bland/conservative in taste.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Designer Rooms - 08/08/10 01:10 AM

Not sure why but this woman allowed the designer to create a room that looks like a DISCO lounge. Polka dots, stripes, weird color combos and splashes of deep bright colors she calls youthful. It made me nauseous I kid you not, nothing matches...