Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones

Posted by: chickadee

Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/04/05 07:54 PM

We have been talking about Christmas, Carols, Trees, Politically correct this and that, Prescription drugs, Taking Baths, Not sleeping and the Dreaded Temporary Insanity called Menopause. I posted here under spiritual inspiration because I feel that's where it needs to be, espeially this time of year.

Yesterday,because of all our topics, I decided I wanted to get into the real spirit of Christmas, one that I felt as a child and one that I felt as a Mother raising my children. I wanted to hear Christmas carols.

I picked up a tape at W Mart(they have cd also) called Christmas Serenity - George Carlaw. I lit the aroma candles(cinnamon), poured my bubble bath and put in the tape. I listened to the 'instrumental' Christmas Carols and r e l a x e d. Then I began singing some of them. I went back to good times and bad, weeping one minute and smiling the next. I can't wait to hear it again tonight. I didn't mind weeping, it was a cleansing of my mind while cleansing my body. I can handle that. It took me to far away Christmas's long ago to present day. It was Amazing...like a journey...I felt almost hypnotic or meditation state(?)Could be the sleeping pills, LOL.
Dotsie, I know you take a bath every night. Hearing this instrumental Carol Assortment is good for the mind, heart and soul. Give it a whirl and tell me what you think. Weeping is optional [Wink]

chick

It includes: White Christmas,The First Noel, Silent Night(I wept), Away in a manger(I went to Bethlehem for a visit here) Oh Holy Night, Oh Come All ye Faithful.
SIde Two: Canon, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, The Holly And The Ivy, Grant Us Peace, What Child Is This, Ave Maria. I am doing side 2 tonight.
I implore all of you to do this. It is a wonderful way to get in the Christmas Spirit and feel less stress.
Boy I'm long winded today [Big Grin]
chick
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/05/05 08:00 AM

Sounds wonderful Chick!
Posted by: Evie

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/04/05 10:55 PM

chick sounds like you've found a very special, peaceful way to get some quiet time and absorb the Christmas spirit (soak it in, perhaps [Wink] ) - sounds great and thanks for sharing it.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/05/05 03:09 AM

Wonderful idea to go with my every evening, lavender fragrant soak in my garden tub....I feel all warm already... [Smile]
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/06/05 04:46 AM

Chick, I need to check out that CD. I've got quite a few but you can never have too many Christmas CD's.

This peace you are feeling probably comes from the all-around good feelings you are experiencing as of late with your new committments.

We all need to learn to relax and give ourselves peace. This can come in many ways. When my children were small at St. Peter school I volunteered for a lot of things. This can be especially stressful at Christmas with everything else a person has to do. So maybe for once let another parent do it. Learn to say no and recognize when you are starting to bubble over with anxiety and stress. Don't let it control you. Enjoy the Christmas season or whatever holiday you do celebrate. Remember, just say no.
Posted by: Di

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 01:50 AM

I need to do that,not because of so much to do (DH and I will be alone as always),but to help me remember the Christmas' past. To try to relive what it used to be.

I'll find some old tapes and play them. DH will be watching TV as usual, but I can do it in our big bathtub!!

Thanks!!

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 05:06 AM

Di also burn a candle of cinnamon and apple or some other Christmas fragrance to put you in the mood. Smells can be strong memory enhancers...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 06:13 PM

chick, I intend to do this one night before Christmas. Maybe Christmas Eve after chruch and Santa's arrival... Thanks for the peaceful idea.

My little note in the car has been such a blessing. It says, "Peace on earth. Good will toward men." Then I added, "Jesus is the reason for the season" because my pin that siad that broke. This little note reminder has brought so much joy to my life, and hopefully the lives of others.

Share the joy!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 06:18 PM

Does anyone have a tradition they would like to share? Something that you do every single year at Christmas time? It doesn't have to be a "traditional" tradition...(did I just say that?) Like mine for instance is that I ALWAYS make a cheeseball on Christmas eve. Don't ask me why, just do. I can't even remember how it got started... but the kids all know that this is the very last thing I do every single year before I go to bed and wait on Santa. I also ALWAYS made them sit in front of the tree and sing carols.

As they got older I used rope. What? Hey, sometimes they need persuading...

JJ
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 06:20 PM

oh and p.s.

Since the kids have moved out, I put on my Elvis Christmas CD and sing along with him. He doesn't seem to mind.

JJ
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 11:43 PM

This one seems a little silly now. When my kids were little, we used to play the tape The Muppets Christmas with John Denver and sing along all the way to grandma's house. Maybe I should dig out that tape again. Hold that thought! Our car plays CD's now, not casettes.

Anyone know where I can get a potable cassette player these days? LOL
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/09/05 11:45 PM

Jackie, I still have that CD...it's one of my favourites. So much so that a few years ago when I realized I had given it away to someone, I had to go and order it again! So I ordered two copies, one to keep and another one to give away. Some of those songs are quite beautiful.

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/10/05 04:43 AM

My entire family always came to my house until last year where we had fried smelts and warm italian bread and salad. I remember this happening every year since I was a baby but then we gathered at my Grandmothers. We enchanged homemade Christmas cookies too. I remember the fish & bread was a symbol of Jesus feeding the multitude with a loaf of bread and a fish in the Bible. Now everyone is busy on Christmas Eve so I fry the smelts just for me, eat warm crunchy Italian bread and watch Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation...thats my Christmas Eve tradition.

[ December 09, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/10/05 04:59 AM

What a nice tradition, love the idea of the fish and bread...lovely.
No get together with family on Christmas Eve now...(remember you saying your son lives across town)?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Christmas - Bursting Bubbles and making new ones - 12/10/05 05:02 AM

Chatty, don't be surprised if hubby and I end up on your doorstep next year for Christmas Eve! We don't do anything special on the 24th, just a light supper and maybe a game of dominoes with hubby's daughter and my brother.

We're already talking about doing something completely different next year, for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. Maybe we have to look into planning a stopover at your place Dec 24th, 2006...

[ December 09, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]