Online shopping

Posted by: Dotsie

Online shopping - 10/21/06 03:35 PM

I'm interested in knowing where everyone shops online. I'm considering offering an online shopping opportunity through the NABBW. It would simply be an online mall with links to all your favorite stores listed on one page. If I decide to do it, I'd like to know what stores/sites to include. Thank you.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Online shopping - 10/21/06 03:49 PM

I LOVE to shop at Rick and June! (Ad Alert! Ad Alert! )

Actually, I do tons of shopping online and love the convenience. Not sure about favorite stores, though. Many times I just do a search for what I want and browse around to find the best price and shipping rates.

You might link to NexTag, Shopzilla, Shopping.com, and Froogle - those are all sites that help with comparison shopping. And Dotsie, there are ways to set up the links to some stores so that you get some financial benefit as well. If people click on links from your site, it will track it and send you $$ if they buy something.

So if you choose to add this feature to your site, set it up right to take advantage of that.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Kathy
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Online shopping - 10/21/06 03:56 PM

To me, one of the neatest gifts I've given in years is the photo Postage Stamp. I take a picture of someone and have it put on a REAL, USABLE Postage Stamp. I will be using them again for Christmas and if you put the link on YOUR mall, I'll definitely go through you. The link is http://photo.stamps.com/Store/?source=si10985886

Another place I shop all the time is Mello Melts. I love this place, their products, and the owners are SUPER to deal with, just adorable people. http://www.elkruntradingco.com/index.htm

Just a couple of my favs...JJ
Posted by: Emyjay

Re: Online shopping - 02/14/07 04:42 PM

I lurk around the "stores" on the web, but am afraid to actually purchase using a credit card. Is this safe? How do you know when it's safe -- and when it isn't?

Emily, who is freezing today in Maryland
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Online shopping - 02/14/07 06:04 PM

I love to shop on line! I can always find what I want and it is usually always cheaper. Some of my favorite places to shop are Amazon, Zappos, & Red Rose Tea, just to name a few. It is safe and secure, Emyjay. Use reputable stores on line and look for the little padlock. That tells you that it is a secure site. When you get ready to make your purchase on line, the padlock will be visible on your computer. I'm not worried about giving my credit card number for purchases on line. It is no different than giving the waiter/waitress your credit card. You don't see where they go with it, and still, we give it to them to pay for a meal. Same thing when you order over the phone....you give your credit card number then too. A person is only liable for $50.00, if your credit card gets stolen. I look at my credit card activity on line all the time just to keep an eye on things.

It's freezing here in the midwest too! I am ready for Spring!

Re: Online shopping - 02/14/07 06:50 PM

The most frequent fraud cases I've read about lately have to do with card readers at atm machines, and as Cookie said, at restaurants and other establishments that take your card to process your purchase.

I do more shopping online than off, and have never had an issue. At my online store, I never even see the customer's credit card information. It is transmitted to a secure server that processes the information.
Posted by: gims

Re: Online shopping - 02/14/07 08:18 PM

I'm not a shopper on or offline, but I have made purchases via the internet and have had no problems.

Re: Online shopping - 02/17/07 03:27 PM

Thanks ladies! I may be iced in, but I will be able to go shopping today, online. I feel much safer since getting your feedback.

Will look for the little padlock, Cookie.

I do shop, a great deal, with QVC, but always call my order in over the phone. I've never had a problem with them, but have, as I said already, I have always been scared to give anyone my credit card id online.

. . . going shopping in my jamies, slippers and robe!

Thawing out a bit, here in Maryland!

Emily

Re: Online shopping - 02/17/07 03:32 PM

Quote:

Will look for the little padlock, Cookie.

Just know that many sites are secure, but they may have a different symbol than a padlock. It depends on your website server and your credit card processor. And...images are easy to copy and paste, so just because there's an image of a padlock or whatever doesn't mean it's secure.

When I order online, I always make sure there's a physical address and a phone number for customer service, just in case I need assistance.

Have fun, and stay warm!
Posted by: orchid

Re: Online shopping - 02/18/07 01:05 AM

I've never truly shopped online. Some good stuff over in U.S. but I've balked at the probability of customs brokerage fees...for buying across the international border.

With clothing (except maybe clothing), I prefer to be in person to try it and then buy.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Online shopping - 02/18/07 09:53 AM

So the info gets sent to a server thanks cathy i wondered how it was dun and how they keept it safe....

i bought and sold online (via paypal) and havent had bother came close ot it once, christmass i got a chqueek and bank it but posted before the monnie cleared....it got returned to me. I know i shouldn't off but the stuff wouldnt have been their for christmass. Contacted the women kicking myself lol but she re-issued the bonced monnie so all was good in the end....Nice to meet an honest person too

That last minet .com grrrr lol that we had the flights with cant find phone number or anything for them so cant complain about the mixed up flights.....but this my first truly "bad" experience with on-line shoping....As cathie was saying good idea to cheek if they have a custemerservice number or address i will in future, think i learned my lesson lol

celtic

Re: Online shopping - 02/18/07 02:06 PM

Orchid, I don't buy clothes online either. I pretty much stick to books and stuff for the kids. They order clothes, shoes, cameras, Ipods, sporting equipment, just about anything online. I buy a few hings but don't want to get hooked because it's so easy to spend money sitting behind a computer.

I have no problem putting my credit card number out there. I always check my bills to make certain that everything on there was charged by us and is the exact amount. I'm anal about that.

My son had two charges on his credit card that were not his. Beleive it or not, the bank called him about them before he even got the bill. They thought they were out of the ordinary purchases for him. Isn't that wild? They closed his account and gave him a new number. I thought it was pretty neat that people are watching in some way or another.

Kathy, I know about the affiliate programs. I once had a boomer shopping mall on this site but it really didn't do much of anything so I removed it.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Online shopping - 02/18/07 04:30 PM

Quote:

My son had two charges on his credit card that were not his. Beleive it or not, the bank called him about them before he even got the bill. They thought they were out of the ordinary purchases for him. Isn't that wild? They closed his account and gave him a new number. I thought it was pretty neat that people are watching in some way or another.

Yes, I've heard of great stories like that.
Whenever I get catalogue of women's cycling clothing from U.S., I am so sorely tempted since choice is limited for someone of my build. Alot of cycling stores are overweighted in cycling clothing choice for men.

I only use Internet for booking hotel, airline tickets, etc.

Honestly I like the fact that there are no items that you sell through your website Dotsie.

I'm just wondering though if you might want to marketing your website more broadly via national women's magazine in other countries. I discovered this website via MORE magazine.

In Canada, magazines that are national in scope for women are:

Canadian Living
Flare (this tends to be more fashion oriented.)
Chateline. There is a French language version.

Re: Online shopping - 02/19/07 08:23 PM

I couldn't bring myself to do it, ladies. I just don't feel comfortable typing out my own credit card number and then clicking on the "buy."

I enjoyed shopping around, though!

Dotsie and orchid, I buy most of my clothes from QVC. I've learned what labels fit me best and like the fact that no one else has tried the items on before me. I love the Denium and Co. clothes, in particular, because of the fit and wear of material. I buy my Philosophy scents from them, too.

Actually, it's probably a good thing that I can't just click on the "buy" button. At least if I see something, I have to actually walk to the phone and dial before the deal is done.

Emily in Maryland, who needs to work on "restraint" this year
Posted by: EvilTwin

Re: Online shopping - 02/20/07 06:45 PM

Oh, yeah! The techno geek is an online shopper all the way! I am apparently missing a female gene, as I HATE going into stores to shop. It could have something to do with all the time I spend on the road during the week driving to and from work. One of my favorites is Victorias Secret online. I shop the clearance section only there! There are really too many for me to list here, but a look at my favorites list should give you bunches to work with, Dotsie!

One warning to online shoppers -- it is not recommended that you use your debit cards -- only your credit cards.
Posted by: SharonE

Re: Online shopping - 02/21/07 12:01 AM

Another Ad Alert!
I love to shop at www.myboomermall.com and www.babyboomerexpress.com

I have actually been shopping online myself for over 6 yrs, and have never had a problem with credit card purchases. I've ordered bits and pieces from several different countries over the years and all have come through without a worry.

When you think about it, if anything went wrong, the companys reputation would suffer dramatically, so they do their utmost to keep it 100% safe for customers.
Take care,
Posted by: SharonE

Re: Online shopping - 05/10/07 08:53 AM

Hi Queen JJ,
I know this is an old post but back on page 1, (on 10/21/06) you mentioned Photo Stamps.
I thought they were a great idea too and I have had photo stamps in the back of my mind since then... so imagine my delight when I found what I needed to add them to my website. Specially for DaQueen.

They are great for:
Wedding invitations
Baby announcements
Thank you notes
Birthday and anniversary parties
Scrap-booking
Pets and vacation photos
Gifts for any occasion

And very convenient for business too... Here's the link:
http://www.babyboomerexpress.com/rts/index.asp?action=page&name=16488&siteid=1255
Posted by: Laurel

Re: Online shopping - 05/10/07 12:58 PM

I shop online a lot and have for years. With rising gas prices it's much cheaper.

I stick with brands that I know fit me well.

Often times you can get what you're looking for online for much cheaper even with shipping costs. They don't have the overhead cost of a brick and mortar store and they don't have as many employees.

I love Zappos.com, Amazon, Ebay, and most stores have an online shopping link.

I was in Kohl's the other day and found a pair of shoes I loved but they didn't have my size. I could either call and drive all over town to their other stores or go online. I went online. Sure enough they had it in my size for $2 cheaper and with only 99 cents shipping (because of Mother's day coming up). Oh and the tax was cheaper too.

Laurel

Re: Online shopping - 05/14/07 06:25 PM

Laurel, thanks for the Zappos reminder. I keep hearing about that site, browsed it when it was mentioned before, but need to get back there.

We have kohl's too. They are pretty new to the area. Boy do they have great sales.
Posted by: jennyherbs

Re: Online shopping - 05/23/07 06:00 PM

I mainly get books online. Especially second hand ones from Amazon. I also have a discount shopping site I use for restaurant coupons, movie tickets etc. If it isn't discounted I rarely shop online although I hear you can get great deals on things like printer ink ....!