Lawn & Garden Know-How

Posted by: chatty lady

Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/10/05 02:05 AM

Want the GREENEST LAWN in town? Epsom salt, the mineral Grandpa use to soak his sore bones in, has another secret use. Because its rich in two minerals that make plants grow like crazy, it can also turn your lawn super-green. And it's cheaper and safer than fertilizer! Add 2 tablespoons to 1 gallon of water and spread over the grass so it soaks in. You'll be delighted. I use it on my vegetable and flower garden as well.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/10/05 02:46 AM

Thanks Chatty
We are in the middle of working on a new lawn and can use all the help we can get. Any others with advice for lawns? We have put down lime . Does anyone know how long we should wait for the seeds or is it okay to do it now?
I do veggies and herbs but never did the lawn.
[Big Grin]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/10/05 03:46 AM

concrete...

JJ
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/10/05 06:06 PM

Now that is a great suggestion JJ! LOL
We did in fact make the driveway bigger and now have a bit less lawn to worry about. I have to agree it is much easier to take care of!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/10/05 06:55 PM

chatty, I use Miracle Grow and love it. I sprinkle (unmixed) right at the base of the plants and flowers before it rains. Do you think the epsom salts might work the same way?

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/11/05 04:00 AM

I have used Miracle Grow and Epsom Salt seems to have a better ability to green the lawn and it is so much less expensive but if you have something you like that works stick with it. My suggestions are merely for those that are struggling with a problem and need some inexpensive help...
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/11/05 08:49 PM

Chatty,
We use Miracle Grow also . Do you mix half epson salt half with the miracle grow? We use Miracle grow on our garden plants .

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/12/05 04:34 AM

Nancy50, I am saying to use Epsom Salt for the Greenest lawn in town....I also have used Miracle grow on flowers etc. but have NEVER mixed the two. I have no idea what would happen, probably nothing but I don't say to try anything I have not tested myself first. Use 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salt with a gallon of water spread or spray it on and stand back for the lawn to begin turning the greenest color you can imagine... [Razz]
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/12/05 05:55 AM

Chatty ,
Now I understand and will do that to our lawn . We have a large lawn . Will get the message out to my husband also.

Thank you so much for the helpful tip.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/13/05 12:08 AM

Does it work on puppy "p" areas?!!! [Smile] I think I am going to try this remedy....our grass is looking rather ill....could be the fact we haven't had a good rain in weeks!!! Or any real rain to help this summer.

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/13/05 01:11 AM

I too have a problem with puppy pp so put gravel down in the back of the back yard for that reason Kay and try to limit them to that area for potty time. It did however seem to even green up (a lighter shade however) the puppy spots before the gravel went in.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Lawn & Garden Know-How - 09/13/05 05:31 AM

We made the mistake of letting my puppy named Cookie be housebroken without a leash. So she goes where she pleases--and I certainly am not standing outside at 5:30am watching where she goes! [Smile]

I will try the mixture & see......it's worth a shot!!! [Smile]