Fully cooked bacon...?

Posted by: jabber

Fully cooked bacon...? - 08/31/10 02:37 PM

I suppose Oscar Mayer Fully Cooked Bacon has been on the market a while, and I'm just discovering it. I saw this product
a few weeks ago. Thinking it couldn't possibly be good, but
longing for the convenience of not splattering the heck out of
my stove, decided to buy a package. Well, to my surprise it
is actually good. It's crisp. It's tasty. And what a quick,
easy way to have BLT's or bacon'n eggs. I love it. 30 seconds in the microwave and you have great bacon. Any of you tried this product? It's cool!
Posted by: Di

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 08/31/10 07:42 PM

I've not had the bacon, but we always buy the precooked sausages..they are great! No fuss, no muss. Just nice and easy.

Love 'em! Good to know the bacon works, too!

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 08/31/10 09:58 PM

Di,
It sure is good to know the bacon works, too. That no fuss thing
is sweet!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 09/01/10 02:18 AM

I call it Facon. We've had it in our grocery stores for a couple years. It's great for BLTs, recipes and salads. However, there's still nothing like regular bacon. I made BLTs at Dad's last week, with real bacon, and they were so darn good.
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 09/01/10 12:11 PM

I haven't tried it, but my best friend was telling me about it and she loved it as much as Jabber.......so between the two if them I guess it comes highly recommended!!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 09/01/10 12:40 PM

Might as well igve it a whirl. Let us know what you think.

My duaghter loves it, but my son who enjoys cooking won't buy it. Gotta use the real thing.

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 09/01/10 03:40 PM

There's never anything like the real stuff, but it's darn good,
and without the mess.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/08/10 07:49 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but I will, now that I have such great reviews.

I don't consider it "Facon" (love that name, by the way, Dotsie!) because it IS real bacon. it's just that it has been cooked in advance, like the sausages Di was mentioning, as a convenience. And who wouldn't mind NOT having to clean up all that bacon spatter after making traditional bacon...

To me, "Facon" would be that imitation bacon that's made of soy protein -- Bacos, for example... And I refuse to eat that stuff...
Posted by: orchid

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/09/10 12:56 AM

Admittedly bacon never really excited me. Actually the smell of bacon fat turns me off.

So it bewilders me to see on Food Network tv channel, chefs throwing in bits of bacon in certain dishes.

Really? blush

I like gourmet sausages, if I were to choose an alternate type of breakfast meat. Of course, I might have 1 for dinner alongside with some veggies and noodles. Yes, weird. But lovely.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/11/10 12:29 AM

I like Facon alot and the convenience when cooking is amazing. I use turkey bacon alot as well when cooking fresh, mless fats and better for us than pork bacon. I also like different sausages for meals, great flavors and reasonable in price.

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/12/10 12:56 PM

I'd be willing to bet some restaurants use that fully cooked
bacon. They must do. The other day WB and I ordered BLT's that
were ready in almost less time than it took to order 'em.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/12/10 08:34 PM

Chatty, I agree turkey bacon has a lot going for it. I just have trouble getting past how it looks before cooking... Isn't that silly?

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/13/10 01:08 PM

Never tried turkey bacon. That doesn't even sound like it ought
to be. What's it look like, Anne?
Posted by: judym

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/13/10 07:49 PM

eww...turkey bacon looks like spam in the pan. If you LIKE spam, sorry to tread on your toes! It's a fair subsitute, but I'd rather have ONE piece of the real stuff than a whole rasher of the turkey.And one real piece of bacon lends a lot of flavor to your cooking. The precooked so called real bacon stuff always needs micorwaving or skillet to make it look right and be cooked well- it's always way too underdone, in my guesstimation - and to taste right to my 'buds! I'd rather have NO bacon than a subsitute. Guess that's a southern thing. I couldn't imagine a BLT with faux bacon, and I surely wouldn't eat one. One viable obtion that I have, is baking bacon on a broiler pan- it's great for large servings when you have a big breakfast for several- , you put it on the broiler pan (spray first with PAM) and bake at a medium temp. for about 45 mins (250 degrees or so, ramp up if you need it) and it turns out crisp, flavorful, non greasy and just the ticket.That gives you time for the other breakfast option preparations. Of course they have the lower sodium bacon today, and that is a GREAT thing, and a worthy switch!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/13/10 11:55 PM

We finally found a decent substitute for bacon as that is one thing I miss not eating meat. This one cooks up nice and crispy like real bacon and tastes more like bacon than anything else we've tried.

Re: Fully cooked bacon...? - 10/17/10 02:23 PM

Ocar Mayer tastes like real bacon to me and it's crispy! Not into
spam, however.