Did you know?

Posted by: jawjaw

Did you know? - 05/11/08 11:05 PM

NOW that I have your attention ... I got this from a friend tonight and had to jump up and see for myself if it were true. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE.

Right on the top of the box it says improved box with lock ends---I never knew this!!! DID YOU KNOW THIS.

Well, I would like to share this with you. Yesterday I went to throw out an empty Reynolds foil box and for some reason I turned it and looked at the end of the box. And written on the end it said, 'Press here to lock end'. Right there on the end of the box is a tab to lock the roll in place. How long has this little locking tab been there? I then looked at a generic brand of aluminum foil and it had one, too. I then looked at a box of Saran wrap and it had one too! I can't count the number of times the Saran warp roll has jumped out when I was trying to cover something up.
Posted by: gims

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 03:55 AM

had to go check, and sure enough! We don't use much foil or plastic wrap around here, but we do HAVE some and they DO have the latching sides. Thanks... too neat, will be anxious to share this...lol.

Now, look at your ear lobes in a mirror (without earrings on/in). Do you have lines (creases) on your lobes? Lines/creases indicate high cholestrol.
Now look at your fingernails. Along the nailbed, from moon to tip, do you see any valleys/indentations? If so, you possibly had some stress on your heart. If 1/4 inch equals a month (growing rate of fingernails), you can figure when the heart was under stress. Also, white spots mean something, as do ridging and lengthwise black discolorations. Then there's the shape of the moon to consider, and the colors of the nails and the flesh underneath. Of course, none of this is as cool as finding out about the holders in the foil and plastic wrap boxes.... which is just too cool!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 06:58 AM

Oh this is a great thread, JJ...Hope more things are added...I'm drumming on my brain for ideas...but you gals all ready know sooo much!

Gims that is so interesting about the creases on the earlobe. I just noticed that this month, and have been starting to put cream on my earlobe thinking I'm getting wrinkles there! High cholestrerin, huh? Could be. I started a fruit diet today.

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 01:32 PM

I've always heard that one way to tell if you were dehydrated was to pinch the skin on the top of your arm/hand and if it stands up when you let go, you are.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 02:24 PM

If you pull down your bottom lid, and your blood along the lower ridge is more pink than red, you could be anemic.

What else?

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 02:58 PM

The bottom lid on whatttt? Okay, I was just joking...
Posted by: humlan

Re: Did you know? - 05/12/08 05:16 PM

If your tongue is white rather than pink..you have something going on in your body..some kind of irregularity or illness. My grandmother swore by this and she was usually right!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Did you know? - 05/13/08 04:00 AM

Well, I open my mouth one day and my tongue was "Green" and was so upset only to find out I had eaten to many pickles . LOL . I guess that doesn't belong here . I have heard that about the tongue before if it is white these is something wrong in your body .

Some good knowlege here though .
Posted by: jabber

Re: Did you know? - 05/13/08 01:21 PM

Well, I've got lots of fingernail ridges. I noticed that a while ago and wondered why. Now I know. Thanks.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Did you know? - 05/13/08 07:55 PM

If your poop floats thats good it means not too much fat in your diet. If it sinks, then watch the fat in the diet. Its better to have floaters.

Re: Did you know? - 05/14/08 01:02 PM

Now you're gettin' gross! Who looks to see if their poop
floats? Geese...bummer...

Re: Did you know? - 05/14/08 08:10 PM

Theres nothing gross about it. It is a medical fact and when flushing why not take a look. There are worse things we could be looking at...

Re: Did you know? - 05/14/08 08:47 PM

Color and shape are something to watch for, also... regular viewing after pooing tells you what your body is doing.

Re: Did you know? - 05/14/08 10:23 PM

Poop viewing? Would that make one a pooper viewer?

Okay, forgive me all, but I am feeling so darn good today. And after having that yucky flu...trust me, it feels good to feel good!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Did you know? - 05/15/08 01:55 AM

Okay, I haven't checked into this thread since the first post, so sitting here reading the most recent posts made me wonder how you all went from aluminum foil to floating poop in only 2 pages!

But now that I've read it, I understand. Although I don't think I'll partake in the poop discussion. Ewwww...

K

Re: Did you know? - 05/15/08 01:58 PM

Sorry, Chatty.
If a person hangs around a care facility long enough, they see all the poop they care to see. Sick people have problems getting to the toilet before they should. I've nearly lost my cookies a few times, these past 3 years.
Guess poop conjures up some unpleasant pictures, I'd rather not review. Forgive me for throwing the word gross in here.

jj,
Glad you feel great! That's wonderful. Besides your sense of humor adds a little spice to my life! And I love it!!!

Re: Did you know? - 05/15/08 05:43 PM

Okay, this is crazy, but reading this, I was realized I dreamt about floating poop last night. See what these forums can do to you. Is that crazy or what?

Re: Did you know? - 05/15/08 09:12 PM

Well Dotsie your post was my first great belly laugh for the day. Too funny, dreaming about our topic....

Jabber, oh my God, I can certainly understand where the word gross came from and why, you poor thing! Oh, and Bless your heart for what you do for these poor folks.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Did you know? - 05/15/08 10:32 PM

Chatty, I appreciate the heads-up with a bodily function that we most often feel a little embarassed to talk about. But in this case, too much info is better than none. At our age, I think it actually serves well to pay a closer attention to what we pass in terms of bowel movement. Thin stools for a cousin and a friend of mine turned out to be colon cancer. Both did not have other symptoms except for that one. And, none would have gone to the Dr about it until it was casually mentioned in a conversation. So, thanks for the info.

Re: Did you know? - 05/16/08 07:07 AM

Why is it that we've let natural body function become 'gross?' I think I have a pretty open mind about most, probably because my maternal grandmother was so free with talking about bodily functions.
When you juice an orange, there's leftovers. That's all it is - leftovers. The body takes what it wants (suppose to take what it needs, but sometimes doesn't), and dumps the rest. It's that simple and natural.
I have more problems with pus than I do with poop... and I know it's just the byproduct of a body trying to take care of itself.
It's important to look for changes - i.e. one reason Lola pointed out.

Re: Did you know? - 05/16/08 08:12 AM

So it seems that we can even learn from one another when it comes to things like poop.

And for the record, I've heard floaters are best too.

Re: Did you know? - 05/16/08 12:59 PM

Okay, I admit the word "gross" was an incorrect reference. Along with all my other shortcomings, I have a weak stomach. So I overreacted at the thought of "poop!" Sorry, gals. I apologize.

Dotsie,
Hope your dreams turn into rainbows!!!
Posted by: Lola

Re: Did you know? - 05/16/08 05:51 PM

You don't have to apologise, Jabber. It's not an overreaction as well. Many people do not have the stomach for it, like my daughter. I found it rather odd with her though as it seems to be that she's grossed out with diaper duty with her children and yet, does not mind the encounter with her elderly or incontinent patients.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Did you know? - 05/17/08 02:01 PM

Seems we differ in what we discuss comfortably..
I have no problems sharing health information and if something educates another then deed done.
Tomorrow I walk the "Race for Life" where an all women funraiser raises cash for cancer.There many wear photos of a loved one on their back along with race number..we have a minutes silence for those we remember.
Mountain ash

Re: Did you know? - 05/17/08 04:12 PM

Some do, some don't. It doesn't matter. That is what makes the world go round.

And thank you MA, for participating in the WALK FOR LIFE. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I can tell you it is very much appreciated. A big fat hug from me!

Re: Did you know? - 05/17/08 07:37 PM

MA,
Thanks from me, too. I've a sister that's a breast cancer survivor. And I agree with jj that those of you participating in "Walk 4 Life" walks are the salt of the earth. With LUV and Gratitude!!!

Re: Did you know? - 05/17/08 08:56 PM

MA, we have The Race for the Cure in the states. Very similar, and very moving to be involved.

One of my sisters is a breaast cancer survivor. Thanks for walking. How long is/was the walk?

Re: Did you know? - 05/17/08 09:09 PM

You go girl... Walking for cancer MA is such a neat thing to do. We are all so proud of you and those who have fought and are fighting this dreaded disease.