frozen mouse?

Posted by: Dotsie

frozen mouse? - 08/25/05 06:39 PM

I tried to get on my computer this morning and the mouse was frozen. Has that ever happened to you? My heart began racing because I need to finish my newsletter today.

I awakened my poor daughter, called my computer techie, tried to stay calm, and before you knew it my daughter had it working again. Thank God for those computer classes they have at school. What am I going to do next year when she's away at college? Help!

Who do you go to for tech support?
Posted by: browser57

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/25/05 08:05 PM

Sometimes - you just need to clean the ball on the bottom. It gets gummed up and won't roll and just needs a good cleaning. If it's more than that - I'm lost.....

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/26/05 05:45 PM

browser, thanks. I think it had to do with the plug ont he back of the computer. She switched the plugs around a little and it worked.
Posted by: Jersey Girl

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/27/05 01:02 AM

This problem was more common with the serial ball mouse. Browser is right sometimes you need to clean the ball.

It sounds like the connection may have been compromised, sometimes that happens with dust buildup or if you pull out or push in a serial connection without the machine being shut down. You should not have this problem with a USB connection.

Then again sometimes the cursor just freezes. A restart will usually clear this up also.
Posted by: unique

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/27/05 06:38 PM

Dotsie,

I switched from a 'ball' mouse to an 'optical' mouse and I love it. I would never go back to a ball mouse. My mom has a wireless mouse; I tried it and I still prefer an optical mouse. You might want to look into it. They are inexpensive and hook up the same way. I think you'll like it.

***you know when I first saw 'frozen mouse' I thought you'd found one in the freezer. You do know that, right? hee hee***

[ August 27, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: unique ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/30/05 04:54 AM

Dotsie everytime I scroll past this post it makes me smile because I think of dessert, you know like chocolate moose??? Too funny!

Re: frozen mouse? - 08/30/05 08:02 PM

I much prefer that to my situation. I love desserts, but oddly enough, that isn't one of my favorites. I like all other things chocolate!