Jane Carroll

Posted by: jawjaw

Jane Carroll - 12/01/06 02:31 PM

Good Morning Ladies,

This month our Featured Author and active forum member is Jane Carroll, author of Bertha-Size Your Life! Jane is a member of the NABBW, a Radio Talk-Show Host, a nurse, and also a Life Balance Coach. Wonder when she sleeps?

So let's get started with some words from Jane and give everyone time to visit her site and consider buying her novel, Bertha-Size Your Life! This is the book she'll be discussing in December. I gladly recommend this book. I loved it!

Take it away, Jane!

Hello Ladies,

I am so excited to be December’s featured author! Most of you have been getting to know me through the forum but I thought I’d give you “The rest of the story . . .”

I joined the boomer ranks back in 1954, putting me smack dab in the middle of our generation. My life has followed a similar course to many of yours. I’ve been married twice and essentially raised my two daughters on my own while working as a registered nurse.

I know what it’s like to cry myself to sleep over lost or fragile love and to laugh incessantly over nothing at all. I know what it’s like to not be able to pay the bills at the end of the month and to spend with extravagance (hence why I couldn’t pay the bills!) I know what it’s like when my girls were driving me crazy and wonder how in the world I would make it when they were gone. I’ve lived in a 100 year-old Victorian house (I prayed every night that it would still be standing in the morning) and in a brand new patio home near the beach. Somehow, during all of that I found the balance that I’m enjoying in my life today. I sold the patio home so I could leave nursing to pursue my lifelong dream of writing, coaching and motivational speaking fulltime.

I tell you all of this because these are the experiences that led to the writing of Bertha-Size Your Life! I started writing as soon as my youngest got married. It was going to be a book to encourage other women who were experiencing an empty nest and didn’t know what to do with themselves. I was actually looking forward to my years without the total responsibility for the girls, so I thought I had a lot to share. However, the book was boring, even I didn’t like it.

The character of Bertha came about as a joke between my life coach and me but BERTHA had other ideas and took over my manuscript and my life.

Bertha is the voice of wisdom in all of us…and she is never quiet, usually dispensing her wisdom from strategically located soapboxes while wearing vibrant spandex capris and high-heels. I laugh and say she’s a cross between Lucy and a talk show host.

Bertha-Size Your Life! hit the streets in October 2005. Where the Joys Are: Bertha’s Guided Journal is due out any day and the next book Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Bertha’s Guide to Life and Shoes is on my desk for editing (more like total re-writing). I have loved the entire process of writing and book signings while building a life coaching practice and speaking career. Check out my website for more details www.berthasize.com

My newest endeavor will be hosting an internet radio show Loving Life Radio Show. The show will feature anecdotes from my books and other writings as well as featured guests, all with a message of loving life in some respect. You can check it out at www.lovingliferadioshow.com

Now, for the important stuff, I’ve been a Grammy for four months to adorable Bailey Kate. What a treat! My favorite movie of all times is It’s a Wonderful Life. I love walking dogs on the beach…did we mention my love life? My favorite color is green…the shade of money. I’m a good cook, although I don’t do it very often . . . oh, wait, I got this mixed up with my personal ad . . . carry on!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/01/06 06:05 PM

Ladies,
Jane called me at home to tell me a tree has fallen on her power line outside her home and she is without power. She has gas heat, thank the good Lord, but until the other is resolved, all she has is her laptop and she's trying to conserve the battery for the moment. She will be back online as soon as her power is restored. She didn't want you to think she was ignoring the forums. I told her you wouldn't think that anyway....you're much to kind!

JJ
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/01/06 07:34 PM

Jane's website is so friendly and Bertha sounds like a hoot! I hope she gets her power back soon.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/01/06 07:47 PM

Please tell her not to worry. We're gonna be here whenever she gets back.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/01/06 10:52 PM

Well, I've added to the excuse list...a dog ate my homework and a tree fell on the power line so my modem doesn't work! It literally riped the lines off the house and they've had to repair that...waiting for the power company to come back to reconnect now...I'm at the library...

There's always a silver lining...when my landlord came he also fixed the light fixture in the bathroom and agreed to paint the dining room...YEAH!!!!

Thank you Vicki!

Now let's hope I get power again soon, it's getting dark very quickly!

I'll check in again as soon as I can.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 12:14 AM

Power is back on...cable is still out...have to call them next...can't wait to chat!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 02:50 AM

Jane,
Do you ever miss the nursing? And something I've been meaning to ask you. Since you left the nursing career behind, did any of your co-workers follow suit? I just wondered if your courage rubbed off on them. Leaving a steady paycheck/security is hard.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 12:36 PM

JJ,

I really don't miss nursing. I miss the people that I worked with and even some of the patient interaction but I am sooooo happy doing what I'm doing that I have no regrets.

Oh, I do miss the paycheck! That security of knowing x amount of money was coming in every two weeks and having paid vacation and sick time was hard to give up. But the desire to write fulltime was so strong that I didn't think too much about that part of it. It's a good thing, if I'd really thought about it, I probably wouldn't have done it either!

I don't know that any of my co-workers have left since I did--at least not left nursing--they're always changing locations. You have to realize that nursing is the dream for many people.

What I did see was one young girl who found the courage to leave a bad marriage and get her degree...steps she said were inspired by Bertha and me. Now that was gratifying!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 01:03 PM

I bet that was! Good for her. Although my situation was a little different in that I was caught up in a rift (laid off), when I do talk to former co-workers, they all say the same thing (young and old ones) AND that is, "I wish I were doing something fun, like you. I envy you!"

If it weren't for the insurance, or lack thereof, I would have NO regrets. But I'm about to rectify that!

What about family support? Was it always there?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 01:22 PM

I learned a long time ago not to talk about something like that until I had really worked it out in my head because otherwise somebody could easily talk me out of it...you know the voice of reason!

I think I had been mentally preparing for it for a while...I just didn't know what 'it' was! When the idea to sell my house and quit work finally occurred to me...it just made sense...it was the next logical step.

First I contacted a real-estate agent to see how much the house would sell for and then I seriously started thinking about it. This was only a matter of a few days. I think I told the children at that point but held off for a few more days before I told my mother. The house sold within 2 weeks of putting it on the market...so the cat was out of the bag and into a moving box fairly quickly!

They were concerned but supportive...hey none of them wanted me to end up broke and living with them! I think they are all proud of me and they are supportive but they are still concerned, especially my mother.

On the other hand...mother has really enjoyed having me home and with a flexible schedule.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 01:26 PM

Jane, I signed up for your newsletter, browsed your site, and laughed along with you while reading all you had to offer. Did someone help you put your media kit together?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 01:34 PM

Dotsie,

Thank you for signing up for the newsletter. Bertha loves getting to go to different places...I think she snoops in their closets at night and tries on the shoes...you may want to close the doors...

And I'm especially glad that you laughed during your visit. My whole purpose with the website and the services that I offer is to uplift and encourage women. Your laughter says it's working.

My publisher helped a lot with the media kit. She gave me a list of everything that should go in it, a sample of someone else's and then edited the stuff that I put in there. She has been very helpful with all of that.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 02:50 PM

Hey, Guys

I'm off to a book signing with none other than da Queen! Wish us luck that our trunks will be empty and our pockets full when we return.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/02/06 04:33 PM

Hey I'm sorry to side track Jane for a moment, but I am curious about something JJ said. JJ, you said you were about to rectify the insurance dilemma. Since insurance is a problem for many of us who work part time or at home or whatever, would you care to share how you are rectifying this? Maybe in another forum. Thanks, Lynn
Posted by: Allison_Bottke

Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/02/06 06:02 PM

Yo Jane!

A tree fell on your power line? That's a good one. Why didn't I think of that? hahahahaha. Technology...dontcha just love it? Just checked out your web site, lookin' good! I may not have time to respond a whole lot this month, but I'll be reading over everyone's shoulders! Have a blessed weekend to all!

Allison Bottke
www.godallowsuturns.com
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/02/06 07:14 PM

Wow Jane, I'm so impressed! Write on! And have fun while you two are on the road! Oh, and don't forget to report back and let us know how everything went!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/02/06 09:40 PM

All 3 of you have safe and profitable journeys...

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 12:07 AM

We're back...it went pretty well...we had a ball and sold some books...who could ask for more!

Allison,
I had to get creative on that one! Thanks for checking out the website.

Writing is the most fun job! Where else could you get paid for making stuff up and sitting around in your pajamas all day long?

I just stopped by a Christmas open house at the house where I raised my daughters. It's over 100 year old Victorian. The current owners have done some beautiful things there. Funny, I ran into the owner before me when I was leaving...I guess we were all curious! It really brought back some fond memories.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 12:25 AM

A fun day was had by all. Yes, we sold a few books and got to meet another local author who is a hoot. She is younger than us, but you just HAD to love her. She's got that personality that dares you not to like her. What fun she was! Didn't you think so too, Jane?

Jane is a lot of fun to accompany ANY where. Several members of MY family dropped by and they took to her right off. I knew they would.

Lynnie, to answer you question, Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a new (somewhat new) program call Blue something or other. I'll have to find the link for you. Anyway, it is for people without coverage. The deductible is high, and it doesn't cover dental, but the coverage other than that, is pretty good. As good as what I had before. I don't need dental because my dentist is a family friend and my sister works for him. I get a discount there and can pay monthly.

The insurance coverage will cost me around $247, or $274 a month, depending on which deductible I choose. (Remember, I only have to cover ME). There is more than one option. The price depends on where in the country you live. I'll find the link and post it here. Jane won't mind. I know stuff on her.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 12:52 AM

I think open enrollment ended 11/30 but I'm not sure...hey insurance coverage is near and dear to all of our hearts!

I sold a book at the open house that I went to. Right in my old dining room. Never miss an opportunity!

JJ's sisters are nice...they don't look a thing like her but they look like each other...and her Mama is adorable!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 12:58 AM

Jane, not to worry...my closet door is always closed. Trust me. Bertha wouldn't want to see that mess.

Great publisher to give you guidance with the media kit. What else has your publisher done for you?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 01:06 AM

Ya'll can tell my cable is still out so I'm hanging out on the forum!

She's helped with marketing and coordinated some events. Currently we've formed a mastermind group with some of the authors to increase our sales.

She always sends out my press releases...what a help that is! And she is willing to edit anything that I'm sending out for marketing or articles, etc.

I think the biggest thing was when the book was first released and I took a booth at the Southern Women's Show in Birmingham. It was a 4 day event--long days standing on concrete and she sent someone to help me man the booth. That was such a big help.

By the way, Bertha can open doors if it means getting to shoes...she's really wanting to get into Dianne's closet...she's been reading the posts!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 02:09 AM

JJ, that is still expensive, isn't it? It's funny that your sisters look alike but you don't look anything like them! Jane, what's this about a master mind group? Can you tell us more?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 02:21 AM

It consists of 4 authors and our publisher. We're going to meet in person once a month and by phone weekly (or more or less with travel schedules, etc).

Basically we each decided on one marketing goal to work on over the next 6 months and discussed things we can do to reach those goals.

Each meeting we'll have a chance to tell about our progress and get feedback. and of course we can e-mail back and forth.

We are all different genres so there's no real 'competition' going on. I think it's going to be a really good thing.

Mastermind groups can be virtual and have proven success. I think Napoleon Hill first coined the phrase.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 03:29 AM

If some of you would like to check out some of the Bertha stories you can view the archived copies of the Bertha-Zine. Some are just the story of the month and some are the actual newsletter. I'm still learning about doing some of these things!

http://www.berthasize.com/wst_page2.html

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 05:33 AM

Oh contrair! I just registered for my insurance tonight with Blue Cross. I have to wait UP TO 60 DAYS (maybe) to see if I'm accepted, but I did apply. I hope it doesn't take that long. Anyway, for Lynnie or anyone wanting to checkout the coverage, go here:

https://www.bcbsal.org/index.cfm

Then click on the "Individual or Family Plan." That's for anyone who doesn't have insurance. My program is $274.00/month and it is just for me. A 2500.00/deductible a year. High, but if you think about it, if something major came along, it wouldn't be. And that's why I have it. Well, that and the prescription card.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 08:12 AM

Hey! I got a new friend. What a delight Bertha is. I just had time to read one of the short stories. HA ha, gardening in high heels. Would you say this is your other you, Jane?
Sounds like you gals had a wonderful time! What a way to go...team spirit!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 11:18 AM

Hannelore,

Bertha definitely is the other me...the one whose feet don't hurt when she wears high-heels! But more than that, I think she is the free spirit and wisdom in all of us...

Do you have a Bertha?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 02:27 PM

Hey Ladies,

Want to know how to send an author on a road trip?

Make them the feature author for NABBW! I'm off to visit friends and then on to see that beautiful granddaughter...

I'll check in again tonight or tomorrow...I'd love to have some questions waiting when I check in...

I should be able to check in at least once a day for the next couple of days and then once I'm at my daughter's it will be business as usual!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 03:07 PM

Jane is not being honest. She got a new laptop and immediately started trying to think of somewhere she could travel to, hence; the road trip. I swear it. Would I lie?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 05:06 PM

Jane, how much time do you spend on writing and how much do you spend on promoting?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/03/06 05:29 PM

Noooo, JJ, we believe everything you say.

Of course I have a Bertha in me. I wish she'd show up more when pictures are taken...there's always that "older" lady in the way, hogging the camera.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/04/06 03:00 AM

Hannelore, you couldn't look any younger. I love your blonde hair, big eyes, and wide smile. You look great.

Jane, did you write as a kid? If so, what did you write?

I recall my friend and I writing plays. Then we'd get my sisters to act them out. Funny thing. About 5 years ago, I was cleaning out the attic (well not cleaning...just going through things)and I came across a casette tape of one of the plays. What a hoot. There was more giggling than anything else.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/04/06 08:07 AM

Dotsie, you're so sweet. But I got to tell you, that picture was taken about 5 years ago. Its amazing what transformations take place in just 5 years! Instead of updating I prefer to regress...like JJ. Maybe I'll exchange my photograph to one from my childhood...heh heh, then the baby years...and then to a 'thought'.

Hey, I miss your picture! I bet I'm speaking for everyone here. You sure don't need to be at the 'thought' stage Dotsie.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/04/06 01:37 PM

Hello again from Georgia...a pit stop on my way to Orlando...

Vicki,

I write pretty much every day but it seems to be more about promoting and marketing than doing the edits on my next book. Allison hit that on the head when she said that we take our times with the first one and then it's a mad dash to write after that.

I did get a guided journal completed and it's at the printer's as I type. It has 10 Bertha stories and exercises for journaling to increase joy...Where the Joys Are: Bertha's Guided Journal.

Seems like I'm always in front of my computer doing something, even if it's spider solitaire!

I loved to write around starting around 7th grade. I wrote sappy and sometimes gory poems...too much Edgar Allen Poe at the time...and a few short stories of the same teenage drama queen genre. I remember a few of them but don't actually have copies of them. Wish I did.

I loved writing and all of literature in high school. Mother says I wanted to take journalism in college but she encouraged (she was paying) me to go with my original choice of nursing.

As a young married mother I didn't write much, just read a lot...you know the Maribell Morgan stuff of the 80's. But I always had the desire to write for me and to encourage others.

Hannelore, I agree you are beautiful and JJ those highlights in your hair sure got you looking younger!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/04/06 01:39 PM

Oh, I'll try to check back in this afternoon and again in the morning. JJ's right, I do have a new laptop but my friends don't have internet at home...just at their cafe...I'm being forced to eat as I type...bacon, egg and cheese biscuit!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/04/06 11:51 PM

Hey, where is everybody?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/05/06 01:50 AM

Here I am! I had to eat. Lordy I love those Cedarlane frozen dinners! Wuhooo....

Now, I have two questions.

1) How did you get into speaking and teaching classes?

2) Do you have the "next" book already started? If so, will it be along the same lines? And I'm not talking about the journal.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/05/06 02:31 AM

Jane, I'd like to hear more about the journal. How are you publishing it? Thanks, Lynn

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/05/06 07:44 AM

Waving hand!! Hello Miss Author of the Month!
Do you have a set writing schedule like Allison? I think I'd try to write in the morning. I find there is a big difference in my concentration level between morning and night...and I need all those little concentration cells to be creative.
Could you tell us if any author has influenced you, and in which way?
Thank you.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/05/06 02:36 PM

JJ,

I started teaching classes and speaking when I was working in nursing. I was a Home Health Director for several years and that was just part of the territory. Then on my last job we could get extra 'credit' for bonuses by doing community events among other things...that was my favorite way to get the bonus! So it was a natural progression...oh, and I also taught Psych nursing and prenatal classes for years...I'm a born teacher!

The next book is started and in the first edit. It's Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Bertha's Guide to Life and Shoes. I've had it that far along for several months and just couldn't go any further. I just realized last week why I didn't like it...ta da!...I had changed the flow of the interaction between Bertha and my character and it was coming across whiney...now I can't wait to get at the re-writing!

Lynn,

The journal is a blast! I took several different journaling techniques such as 'scripting', 're-writing something that you didn't like' 'expanding on appreciation', that kind of thing. The most fun thing is the joy meter...it's different heel heights...stilettos for joy and house shoes for depression. Of course there are Bertha stories and she's dressed in some pretty funny outfits!

I'm publishing the journal through a small press that is essentially subsidy.

Hannelore,

Morning is definitely my best time of day for being creative. Most of the first book was writen early mornings before work. I still do my morning pages most mornings just to jump start things.

Since I no longer have a set schedule for work, my writing schedule has evolved as well. Sometimes I'll rest in the afternoon and then write until late at night...just depends on my energy level.

I've been busy getting ready for my radio show www.lovingliferadioshow.com which begins today.That has taken most of my time over the last month, including writing as I'm writing some copy for the openings and closings as well as guest interviews. And today is the first show 8pm EST...and the best...da Queen is my first guest!

I'm excited about the re-writes now that I have more of a direction in my mind...so I'm sure I'll develop another pattern of writing and promoting and all that jazz!

Okay, back on the road...I'll check in later in the day!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/06/06 01:02 AM

Hello again!

I've made it to Orlando...Bailey is beautiful and so is the weather!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/06/06 06:23 PM

Hey,

I'll keep checking in...everybody must be shopping...buying gifts for me?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/06/06 10:58 PM

Jane, tell us how the radio show went, okay? Please?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 01:59 AM

Lynn,

Thanks for asking! I think it went great! I don't know the stats yet...the show is still evolving, too...it will have more commercial breaks, etc...so it will be even better every week!

This is a fun new twist to my writing career. I started out just wanting to be interviewed and that led to hosting my own show. What I have realized that to be a successful writer, I have to have a platform that will increase my visability in the world...it doesn't matter how good your book is...women won't buy it if they don't know about it...I think that's the shock for many first time authors, that you don't just sit home and type and the readers beat down the door!

I hope you'll get a chance to listen to the archives and give me some feedback...as long as you love it of course!! LOL The archive link should be activated by tomorrow.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 02:14 AM

Well, I have to say that your first guest was a dynamite speaker. She was so articuate, so humorous, so...ah...what's the word? hahah...okay, okay...maybe it's "gabby?"

Thanks for the opportunity!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 02:35 AM

Yes, my first guest was all of these things...especially gabby! Thanks for being my guinea pig!

I'm listening to a replay of Edie's interview with Eagle now. Go Eagle!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 03:50 AM

I tried to email Edie 2 different places and no response. I figure she must be busy. I have ideas. I can't wait to hear the witty, funny, hilarious, uplifting, inspiring, and fantastic interview with your very first guest, JJ. I'd like to hear Eagle's interview. So let us know when you are archived Jane and I'll spend some time at by for and about women. Jane, I am wondering if you did the illustrations. Somehow I missed that information. I haven't read your book yet, but from what I gather you take trials and tribulations and then find the opportunities in them. And, no matter how dark, it looks like you find the light. Can you tell us how you are inspired? What is your muse? Bsides Bertha!

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 12:17 PM

Lynn,

I'm sure Edie will get back with you...she loves great ideas! That's great!

The interview with Eagle by Edie is already archived. You can find it at http://www.byforandaboutwomen.com/radio.htm it's listed as Life Beyond Depression about midway down the page.

The station is streaming continously now...so there is always something on!

My sister did my illustrations. She has always been an artist and was able to give Bertha a face. It's pretty cool because several other people had other ideas about what Bertha should look like but Cindy captured the essence of what I had in mind...that sister bond. I wish I could draw like that!

You are absloutely right, there is always away to find the light! I've always been on this path of creating a positive attitude...when I learned the concept of Law of Attraction it made such an impact in my life.

Suddenly, I realized that I wasn't a victim...one of my favorite roles...but that I was creating the circumstances that I was living...I started looking at everything differently...and I wanted to find ways to help other women see it differently, also.

The personna of Bertha in many ways was created as an opposite of me in some ways and is right on me in others. I chose the symbol of flamingos to represent that you can have anything you believe you can...at the time I thought flamingos, especially big plastic flamingos in the yard were tacky. Now I love flamingos. I have them strategically placed in my office and my porch is a flamingo garden! So they are now my muse.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 02:31 PM

Jane,
I would be interested in knowing how Bertha (you?) would handle or DOES handle the negative people you come in contact with and how does this affect your writing life?

I know it affects mine. I have a tendency to want to "fix" the negative people I come in contact with and we both know, it's not my job....I am only responsible for me.

So, how do you handle it. I know you're bound to encounter this a lot since you teach and speak.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/07/06 02:37 PM

Great question JJ.

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 03:18 AM

Wonder where Ms Jane is..........wuhoooo....Janeeeeee

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 12:46 PM

See Jane, see Jane shop, see Jane walking screaming baby while Mommy tries on clothes, see Jane pull out her hair (Jane's, not baby's), see Jane shop, see Jane drop...

So that was my day yesterday. I started on the post last night and daughter needed the computer and Jane was too pooped to come back to it. I remember when it was the other way around!

Great question JJ...how do Bertha and I deal with negativity? First of all, Bertha has dealt with that pesky, negative inner critic in the form of Rita in the first book and continues to in the second one...Rita doesn't come out in the journal.

I find that my own negativity is harder to deal with than someone else who is negative...she follows me everywhere I go! So like the old ring-around-the-collar commercials...Bertha tried everything from telling her off to considering shooting her...but in the end figures out that she just won't listen to her...

That's the whole thing. You can't push the voice out of your head...you have to replace it with a nicer one...when that voice says, "That will never work!" I come back with, "But wouldn't it be nice if it did?" or something like that. I find humor and kindness and just being aware of those voices helps a tremendous amount.

I know that didn't exactly answer your question but it was the first thing that came to my mind. Now for those negative people that we come in contact with. Bertha has a shape sorter theory about people (you know the baby toy). Anyway it goes something like this...we all have all the different shapes (vibrations, moods, etc.) and we all have all the slots to put the shapes in. When I come to you with my star shape and you are in a bad mood and only have your square slot available...we don't connect very well.

If we want to connect I can either get in a bad mood with you and become a square...or you can get in a better mood and become a star...

What usually happens is number 1, I get in a bad mood and become a square or number 3, we just keep bouncing off of each other trying to get the star into the square slot...getting more and more frustrated...

Number 2, you changing to a star, usually doesn't work because that's too many mood jumps all at one time for you to make. (You can slide down the moods in a hurry...but it's harder to climb back up that quickly.)

So to make a long story longer...what we do is to try to keep our star out by reading good books, thinking good thoughts, and being around other star personalities...that makes it easier to not to try to change the squares so much. When we do come in contact with a square...we try to leave them alone or maybe just being around us will help them become a triangle, who knows?

And when all else fails...we put on our running shoes and run the other direction when we see them coming!
Posted by: Casey

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 04:30 PM

Jane, I love your sense of humor and it is sorely needed this morning! I'm into digging the muck (negativity) out of it's deepest recesses. It's been there so long that it's a really tough dig. So I'm a square this morning. Thanks for rounding off the edges!
Casey

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 05:14 PM

Jane, great analogy. I love the star shape vs. the square shape. Where did you get all this great insight? Is it experience? Background? fairies?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 05:20 PM

I taught her everything she knows....what?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 08:33 PM

Jane, love the shape sorter story. It's a great thing to remember when we encounter difficult people. So much of all the optimistic, upbeat, discipleship attitude stems from practice. We need to surround ourselves with positive people, good experiences, uplifting books, music, etc. The more we do this, the easier it is to recognize the squares and try to convert them.

Sometimes, when I see a miserable looking person, I try to get them to smile. I recall one cashier at the grocery store who couldn't crack a smile. As I walked away, I lifted her in prayer because I had no idea what she may have been going through.

What is your favorite speaking topic?

Re: Now THAT'S an Excuse! - 12/08/06 09:13 PM

Casey,

Good for you shoveling out all that muck...that just gave me an image of Bertha in lime green jodphers and high-heeled riding boots, mucking out the stalls...making room for a pony...see, you made me smile, too.

Vicki,

I think I've read almost every personal growth book around (not really...they're popping up everywhere!) Somehow Bertha twists it all up and comes up with these goofy analogies. This is one that I have wanted to create a talk on and haven't done it yet...I did buy the shape shorter to use as an AV when the time comes...so in answer to your question...all of the above...I am a nurse and have taught Psych nursing and trained as a life coach and I've had a lot of experiences...not as many as da Queen...and Bertha is close to a fairy!

JJ,

What?????????

Dotsie,

I believe that holding an image of someone the way you know they would want to be (happy)and holding them in prayer is the very best thing you can do for them. When we focus on their bad mood we only amplfy it. And when we expect them to act that way...they usually don't disappoint us either!

I love to talk on any topic that helps women see that they can make a difference in their lives by making a difference in their thoughts and beliefs. I like to help them look at what can be instead of what is...one of my favorite titles is "Take Time to Smell the Roses...Or At Least Get Your Nose Out of the Manure!" The talk has many variations on the same principle. I really do want to develop the shape sorter one...I think it could be fun for a company and team building, etc.
Posted by: bamgibbs

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/08/06 11:21 PM

Congratulations!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/08/06 11:35 PM

Thanks Beverly!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 02:55 PM

How did I miss this thread? Gads. I'm looking forward to hearing about all of your wonderful insight and wisdom this month. Must order your book and will do so today!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 03:49 PM

Dianne,

Thanks! Good to see your shining 'foot'...Bertha would love that shoe!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 05:14 PM

Tell Bertha to come on over and we'll have a shoe party. She's welcome in my closet anytime! Going to listen to your show next.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 05:18 PM

Bertha will bring her latest nail polish...Sleighing Santa...sure to go great with your Vixen shirt!

Hope you enjoy the show.
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 11:11 PM

Wow, I am looking forward to getting to know you Jane. I have to say, between you and JJ, I think I want to move to Alabama now. Must be something in the water!

Cheers,
Cathi
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/09/06 11:26 PM

I've been reading this thread on and off and it's sooo interesting. Jane, how great is it that you don't have a "day job" and can give all your energy to Bertha and the radio show, etc.! It seems that everything you did got you exactly where you want to be - almost (I know you have more goals). Did you have that plan all along? Do you have enough time now or are you like so many of us who don't seem to have enough time because of that pesky work thing?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/10/06 01:38 AM

Cathi,

We would love to have you in Alabama! Finding JJ only 40 miles away has been the best...even if she makes me clean the moat every Tuesday!

Saundra,

I wish I could say I was one of those people who had it all laid out and it just fell into place...but I'm one of those people who seems to fly by the seat of Bertha's spandex capris a lot of the time. It has taken everything in my life to get me to where I am today...the good and the bad.

I have always wanted to help people, that's why I became a nurse in the first place. Somewhere along the line, I realized that the technical part of nursing (procedures) wasn't what I enjoyed. I loved interacting with the people and helping them to feel better emotionally. I loved offering the comfort and laughter. The knowledge base and experience from nursing adds to my credibility and understanding of human nature.

I didn't have a clue that I wanted my own radio show...I just thought I wanted to be on Oprah so I would sell more books...Divine intervention, there!

There is never enough time to do everything that I want to do and feel like I need to do! I love having the flexibility of structuring my days. Like now I've been at my daughter's for a week and have gotten nothing done...no paid vacation here...got to get home and get some work done!

The funny thing is, I can start 'working' at 7am and at the end of the day feel like I've goofed off all day because I really love what I'm doing! I have to remind myself (and everyone else) that this really is work!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/10/06 12:01 PM

Good morining Ladies,

I'm packing it up to drive home. It's about an 11 hour drive...which is great for thinking time but a little long on the sitting time!

It's been a great week with my daughter and granddaughter. I baby sat last night while they went to a Christmas party. It went pretty well...Bailey didn't want a bottle and chose to just go to bed without it...just like her mother!

I probably won't set the computer up when I get home, but I'll check in early in the morning so keep those cards and letters flowing and have a great day! We'll chat tomorrow.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/10/06 11:33 PM

Great answer, Jane.

Do you use a tape recorder on your long drives for those great thoughts you have on the road? I know that when I don't write down my thoughts, I can lose them and never get them back. You'll look like those other people on the phone and no one will notice you dictating.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 01:16 PM

Saundra,

It's funny that you asked that question. I've thought about it several times but I never remember to take a recorder with me. Sometimes I will jot things down...when I stop of course...I'd never do that while driving...LOL!

My sister used to have system for remembering things in the middle of the night. She kept shoulder pads in the drawer of her night stand...when she had an idea she would throw a shoulder pad in the floor to prompt her to remember the next morning...kept her from thinking about it all night...

It is amazing how much we forget. I forget even when I've written things down. I'll go back to that file or notebook later and see some wonderful idea that I had an never followed-up on.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 03:31 PM

I have a small digital one I carry, or use to carry around in my purse. Problem was that at the most inopportune time, I would hit my purse on something and it would come on. Imagine being in a crowd of peers and suddenly you hear, "Write about the fat lady with the dog stuck to her rear." The on/off button is VERY sensitive.

Welcome home Jane! Do you find it hard to get back into the swing of things once you've been away?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 04:24 PM

My recorder isn' quite that sensitive...not as sensitive as the fat lady you were describing anyway! LOL and I have carried it with me on trips.

One thing I found useful was to record a talk before I wrote it...made it easier to write it out and actually saved some time.

JJ, your recorder makes me think of the wiggle, giggle and jiggle elephant I just bought for Bailey...I had it in a bag full of goodies and when I was loading the car something got up against it...talk about a commotion! I very carefully positioned that bag in the trunk for the ride home!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 04:32 PM

I've just finished transcribing a full program that I recorded into a tape recorder. It was easy-- but pretty time consuming. I think it might be easier to write first, for me. Typing is more natural, strangely enough. Or hire a transcriptionist. My tape recorder is digital and will make audio files that I could send someone.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 06:04 PM

Casey,

I know there are services that transcribe very reasonably. What I found useful about recording first was that it sounded more natural, if that makes sense. I tend to write one way and talk another, so when I write a script I rarely follow it very closely.

I haven't tried it since. But I have started recording my practice talks to listen to on my way to an event. It also helps me know how it really sounds...sometimes I think I'm funny but it comes off silly or sarcastic...so I think it helps to listen to it before the event.

My recorder isn't digital, it has a tape. I do minutes for a hospital and they send me a tape so that's the kind of recorder I got.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 06:37 PM

When I was a technical writer in another life I used to record all of my interviews then transcribe them later. It made it so much easier than trying to remember what the programmer said. Going back and asking is like pulling teeth. They just aren't that easy about giving up information.

When I have an idea in the middle of the night, or before I go to bed, I'll write it down so I stop worrying about it or thinking about it. It's so much easier that way. Sometimes, I've said to myself, "oh, I'll remember in the morning" and I don't. So, now I write everything down.

Jane, Are you saying that you "talk" into the recorder and put together your presentation that way, then transcribe it for your notes? Interesting. I never would have thought about doing something like that. Thanks.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/11/06 10:31 PM

Vicki,

Yes, that's what I did. I made an outline of sorts...I'm not a good outliner...and then just talked in a normal way about the key points. Then when I typed it up it was much more like I really talk.

I always type out my talks even though I use it as more of an outline when I actually speak. Don't ask me why...I really don't know!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/13/06 11:37 AM

Good Morning All,

I'm off to take Mama for cataract surgery. So I'll check in later.

The interview with Dotsie airs today at 2pm EST on www.lovingliferadioshow.com . I know it's great...it's Dotsie, afterall...but I haven't even heard it yet!

The archives are 'up' but I'm not sure if they are working yet...but they will be soon.

The station is great...right now I'm listening to Edie's interview with Eagle...if you haven't heard it, you are missing a treat...

Okay...later, then!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/13/06 01:03 PM

Thanks for the Link, Jane! Wow, this is like a picnic basket full of goodies. I'm gonna listen to all of your interviews...gee I wanted to do Christmas shopping today.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/14/06 12:12 AM

Hannelore,

It is like a picnic basket! Hope you enjoy...but remember, everything is archived so you can save some for later!

I've had a wild day. Did Mama's cataract surgery this morning, then my daughter (marketing account exec) called and wanted to know if my parents could do a photo shoot this afternoon for a newspaper ad. So off we went in another direction.

I bet Mama is the first model to do a shoot with her eye-patch and dark glasses on! It was actually pretty neat. They wanted a senior couple fishing with the man wearing a portable oxygen tank. They love to fish anyway so they were naturals! I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere!!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 11:35 AM

I have been invited to a retirement party. I know that doesn't sound so unusual but the party is for Bertha. Actually her name is Bertha Mae...just like the character in my book...and she has red hair...just like my Bertha...and she's in her 80's...not like my Bertha!

I met her last year at the Southern Women's Show when the book had just come out and I gave her a copy. I mean how often do you come across a walking, breathing version of your imagination?

Evidentually she loved the book and has shared it with co-workers...they even say it must have been written about her...so the co-workers tracked me down through my publisher and invited me to her retirement party today.

I've rearranged my schedule and I will be driving to Birmingham (about 100 miles)for the festivities.

This is why I write...if I can touch one woman enough that her co-workers would go to this much trouble to surprise her...then I am a successful writer.

Touching lives...I believe that's the most important thing we ever do...I know we do it many times a day and never even realize it...I've had patients tell me about how I made a difference in their lives and tell of an incident that I don't even recall...an acquaintance told me last week about her favorite Christmas ornament...my daughter had given it to her daughter several years ago (my daughter was a teen and hers was several years younger)...she said it meant so much to her and just lit up when she talked about it...my daughter doesn't even remember giving it to her.

My point is...Bertha--get off the soapbox...it doesn't have to feel like a big deal to us to be a big deal to someone else...we're touching lives and hearts every day...just by being ourselves...

Have a good day!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 11:59 AM

Great point. I love that. It doesn't have to be a big deal to us to be a big deal to others. Girl, you need to get that saying on something and sell it.

I can't believe you are driving over a hundred miles to do this. WOW! Take lots of books. I bet you'll sell more, even thought I know that's not your intention.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 03:42 PM

Yes, Jane, I think I will hire a transcription service next time! But whew! The CDs are recorded and they sound GOOD! Ya! Hoo! Just a couple of corrections this morning and then we are ready to rock and roll. I've pre-sold four of this product (CD & Workbook set on customer management (http://wisewomanshining.com/wisewomanbiz/SevenSecrets.htm)) and hope to sell lots more!

You sound really dedicated, Jane. So glad you are following your heart.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 11:28 PM

Just received your book today and can't wait to get into it! Bertha has big feet, doesn't she?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 11:36 PM

I am so glad that I went. Miss Bertha was so surprised and obviously delighted! It was freaky how many similarities she has to my Bertha...she even belonged to a pink flamingo club at one time...

Casey,

Good for you! I checked out the site...looks great! Much success to you.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/15/06 11:41 PM

Dianne,

I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear what you think about it! Yeah, but she's got great legs!!!!!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 12:39 PM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you all had a delightful weekend filled with the 4 F's...fun, food, family and friends!

But it's Monday morning and time to get back to work. Part (a huge part) of what I love about my new career is the flexibility to arrange my time. Working in nursing usually meant working the holidays...I worked 4 Christmas Days in a row!

This year I plan to work through Thursday when my daughter and her husband arrive and then start back on Tuesday. What about you ladies who also work from home? What kind of schedule are you giving yourself for the holidays?

It's easy to fall into that trap of...I have to work everyday, because if I don't work I don't make any money...but what I'm finding is that when I allow myself to play now and again...I just took a day to decorate and shop...the next day I had all these great ideas and they just flowed...it was so easy! So enjoy a few guilt free days off...you've earned them...and you'll be more productive when you get back!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 02:40 PM

Hi Jane! I sent an email to all of my web clients that I would be closed Friday through Tuesday. Plus, I limited the amount of work I have to do this week, so I can finish my shopping and decorating.

My Rick and June biz should slow down a lot by mid-week - it's kind of funny watching all the orders come in from the male last-minute shoppers! So I should be able to relax and have fun with friends and family for 4-5 days! Wooohooo!

Kathy

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 04:27 PM

Kathy,

I know you have items other than the wonderful wicking sleepwear...what are they ordering? Will you be able to ship it all out for delivery before the day?

Enjoy your holidays!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 05:09 PM

The men are mostly ordering the jammas and sheets. It seems to be the ladies that buy the hot flash gifts for each other.

If they order by noon today, they'll have free priority mail shipping in time for Christmas. After that, it will be an additional $17 for Express mail - and only guaranteed if they do that by noon on Wednesday.

But I have a FUN new item coming in!! It's called "The Hot Flash Game" and I can't wait. I'll post about it when it arrives. Looks like a blast to play on girls night out.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 05:54 PM

Jane, working from home and for ourselves definitely had rewards this time of year.

Have you considered writing non-fiction? I ask because so much of Bertha's advice is wise and could be written from a non-fiction perspective too.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/18/06 07:46 PM

Kathy,

How fun...a game...we can't wait! I think it's a hoot that the men are buying jammies and sheets...they're probably tired of striping the bed in the middle of the night!

Dotsie,

We've actually classified it as non-fiction...actually self-help...sort of like my hero Og Mandino who always wrote his wonderful self-help in a story format.

I started out strictly writing non-fiction, self-help and it was boring, even to me. That's when Bertha was born and all the chapters became Bertha stories. As Bertha says, "It's only self-help if they read it!"

My desire is to reach those women who wouldn't read a traditional self-help book...and of course those who would--love Bertha, too!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 03:43 PM

Several years ago I had a silk flower arrangement made at a local florist. The owner was a friend of mine and I was so impressed with the arrangement that I asked if she had made it...she replied, "No, my husband did." I then asked him if he had taked special floral design training...he replied, "No, I signed the bank loan on the business!"

Recently, I've been thrust into a new area of writing. Writing copy. Funny, marketing has been my biggest freak out since starting this business...but since I've started hosting a radio show, I find that it's just part of it...if I want the show to be successful...I have to do it...

The neat part is...it's easier than I thought it would be...I guess because I didn't have time to think about it...it just had to be done, so I did it...

I think that is what is so amazing about us boomer women...not just writers but all of us...we are just jumping in there and doing what needs to be done...and in the meantime we are creating new businesses, new products and services, and just overall better lives for ourselves and those around us...

Okay, Bertha...get off the soapbox...

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 05:30 PM

Before I started my non-profit and website, I thought long and hard because it took a lot of energy and committment, not to mention a lawyer, etc. I think I dwelled on it for at least six months. Since then, I've let my non-profit status go and don't have a brick and mortar office. For me, it's easier to do it on the web and I believe it's a lot safer for the women too.

I'm famous for having great ideas but I'm not real strong in the carry it through arena so I have to really watch myself.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 07:08 PM

Dianne,

I think you're right on both accounts...I have no desire to have an office outside of my house...then I'd just have two places to keep up! You're right about the women's safety, too.

Like you, I have more ideas than I have time...but I do love sorting through them and picking the ones I really want to do!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 09:07 PM

Too many ideas! LOL! I like the concept of taking time off -- just not really good at it. I've put on my calendar that a task before the end of the year is to schedule free time in 2007. I keep seeing/hearing that message from many people, so I figure it's directed at me!

The current bizare idea running through my head is how to do network marketing with Wise Woman products and services. My mind does strange little channels!

I don't want an office outside my home -- I like the commute and low overhead too much! What I really want is a small suite in several good cities, Hawaii and Australia with someone who comes to open it up just before my arrival. LOL! I always figure if you are going to dream - dream BIG!

Blessings on all of you for the holidays.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 10:14 PM

Casey,

I just wrote you an eloquent reply and promptly lost it when my internet service blinked!

Maybe we should all work on taking time off in 2007...just to nurture ourselves. The problem is my boss (moi) is such a task master! I do know that I get more accomplished when I'm rested and refreshed...that said...I'll be happy to be the one to come and open your luxury suites before you get there...I'll stay a few weeks just to be sure everything is in working order...LOL...hey, if you're gonna dream...dream big...dreaming small is no fun!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/19/06 10:15 PM

Oh, and good luck with your marketing ideas...listen to the goofy ones...sometimes they are the best!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 12:48 AM

Well, bad news, Jane. Remember that Hot Flash Game I was getting in? Well it arrived today. I was so excited, and I invited my neighbor over to play it with me. I suppose if you had 4-6 wacky wine-drinking women it might be fun, but about 1/2 of the game cards just didn't stick with the hot flash/menopause theme. Very disappointing.

So now, I will not sell it on my site. Which means I have five games left - maybe I'll give them away as prizes, or to people ordering a certain amount, or something like that. Too bad; it looked like such a hoot.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 04:07 AM

Kathy,

Now that you've got your mouth all set for a fun game (Mama's expression) you'll have to invent one! When can we expect it?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 04:22 AM

How funny, my neighbor and I said "We can do better than this!", but then we realized we don't have the capital to invest, and I must focus on other things. I'll let YOU develop the new game, and then write a book about the experience!

Kathy

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 12:47 PM

Kathy,

Aren't you good at deligation?! Unfortunately, I'll have to pass for the same reasons...anyone else want to give it a try? We can serve as consultants...and we're expensive!!!!!LOL

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 06:59 PM

Jane, I just listened to your interview at byforaboutwomen.com. I enjoyed hearing your voice which is smooth, soft, soothing and southern! A couple of points you made stuck out for me: 1) "I love my life." I dreamed of living in CO since 1972 but life events took me to 8 other states before I got here 2 years ago. Whenever I am driving and seeing Pike's Peak, I exhale: I love my life! 2) "the cat on the bed re: fear." Yes, I too have to make the bed even thought the dog(s) think I'm playing! Your metaphor for the cat being fear, and making the bed anyway, is great! You are so creative with your metaphors! Thanks, Lynn

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/20/06 07:12 PM

Lynn,

Thanks for sharing...I'm glad that we resonate in our experiences and our beliefs...and I love your description of my voice...makes me smile...thanks!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 03:16 PM

Isn't it sad when you have a great idea, but don't have the money to invest? Then a couple years later, you see your idea as you're strolling down the street... Ross and I had the idea to invent a stroller for the sand. You know, a four wheel drive stroller? About two years later, we found one. Now tons of people have them for the beach. Urg.

Jane has a great voice and is an excellent interviewer. She sticks with the topic until you're finished, then gently moves to another one. Her interviews flow well.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 03:28 PM

You Southern Peaches have it made! Men as well as women, love to hear you talk. I went from Nashville where they drew out their words to Minnesota where they clip them off short. What a change.

I was working on my accent before we moved. Now, I talk like a mixture of everything.

Listen, you want to hear a heartbreaking story. Years ago my neighbor tried to get me to invest in a small company. I refused, didn't want to take the chance. The company? Starbucks!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 03:29 PM

Thank you Dotsie...I just realized that I did a brilliant post this morning...that is no where to be found...well, since it can't be found I can say it was brilliant.

My stroller idea was to make fun strollers that looked like cars and things for the mall...and yes, they are there and I didn't do them!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 03:30 PM

Okay, here is the afore mention post...maybe not brillant...

Like most of you, I have a lot of work to do on my last official work day before the holidays. I'm also feeling somewhat uninspired. These are the kind of days that are difficult to do work that is creative...it's not something that you can just mindlessly plod along at...like housework...so I've put on a CD for inspiring creativity and lit my favorite candle for aroma therapy...and off I go...funny once I start writing...I keep writing...and I started with this post...

That reminds me of one of the first things I teach in writing class...be willing to write badly...don't expect a masterpiece everytime you sit down at the keyboard...just write something...

The music has inspired Bertha's creativity...she's got on a belly dancer outfit and yes, she's wiggling around the room...the cat just left in disguist...apparently too much belly and not enough dance...think I'll slip out, too!

Have an inspired day!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 03:32 PM

Oh, Dianne...now that hurts!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 07:20 PM

Dotsie, I always wished suitcases had wheels!

Oh man, Dianne Starbucks! My Dad passed a great opportunity to invest in Polaroid, way back when...gee if he had done that we would ....aaah dreams.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 09:17 PM

If I had a dime for every missed opportunity I would be a millionaire, but alas, its a paupers life for me...Ms Smart Ass...

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/21/06 09:40 PM

But you know...there are also a lot of things that sounded like a good thing at the time...that I wish I had passed on...

I am grateful that I did take the opportunity to write and publish and to pursue this as a fulltime career...it would have been so easy to talk myself out of it...of course it would be a lot easier to do if I had all that money from those funky mall strollers! Geez!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/22/06 04:06 PM

Okay, I'm reading Bertha and completely enjoying it! A lot of very sage wisdom hidden in the cute and funny stories. Thank you for writing this! I'm going to pass it onto my daughter as soon as I'm finished.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/22/06 04:27 PM

Dianne,

Thanks so much...I hope your daughter will enjoy it as well!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/23/06 09:14 PM

Well, the celebrations have started. Hope you are all having a wonderful time with family and friends. Blessings to all!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/25/06 12:19 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been spending time with my family...everything's quited down now and it's raining...a chance for a few flakes in the morning...a day late and a dollar short, as they say!

I remember the first Christmas we move back here in 1989... was newly divorced...my first official Christmas as a single mom...we lived in a 100 year old Victorian house that had a lot of magic (and a lot of structral issues!)...but when we got up on Christmas morning there was about 2" of snow...the first...and probably only white Christmas my dauhters ever had...the pictures I have of them standing on the porch in sheer delight are still some of my favorite...

Here's wishing you the same delight today!

Jane

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/26/06 12:18 PM

Okay, holiday is over and it's back to work and writing. I'm starting early because I am actually spending the day with my daughters today. I really don't need to except that I rarely get a chance to spend time with them anymore...so I'm taking it...and I'm excited!

And hopefully, I will be even more ready to write and do radio shows when I get back. I've missed the writing these last four days that I took off...it's like a part of me is missing...it's like missing a person almost...something just doesn't feel right when I don't write...

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/26/06 03:41 PM

When I'm going to be away from home and away from my computer I bring along my journal. That way, if the inspiration to write overcomes me, I have someplace to put my thoughts.

I got to spend Christmas day with my daughter and her husband. It was nice to have them here. We don't get to see them as much as I'd like, but I do get to talk to my daughter nearly every day on the phone. We only live 30 miles apart, but the trip can take as much as an hour depending on traffic.

What's in store for Bertha in the new year?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/26/06 03:54 PM

I'm feeling an urge to write differently this year. I picked up Mary Oliver's new book -- she's such an amazing poet. And I'm reading the book "Swan" by Francis Mayes (under the tuscan sun). The words are so beautiful there. Because I've needed to crank out piece after piece this year, I feel a longing for rolling around with individual words, sliding through them until I find exactly the right one.

As I set up my calander this year, including free time, I'm going to include at least one hour a week to do this kind of non-for-profit, sensual writing, just to see what comes up.

Thanks for the inspiration, Jane.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/26/06 06:07 PM

I like reading your post Jane. I've read through this thread more than once because it always sparks something within. I now understand why you are such a great coach!

Hope you enjoy your day with your daughter.

JJ

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/27/06 01:51 AM

Vicki,

I know what you mean...I have one daughter who lives 40 miles away and one who is 600 miles away and sometimes I see them with the same frequency!

Bertha has a new book in the works...one that has been on the editing table for a while...I just realized why I don't like it...so now I'm ready to re-do it. Other than that, I have a book on relationships that Bertha wants to write...along with the radio show and coaching and I hope a lot of speaking engagements!

Casey,

I like the sound of that kind of writing, playing with words for no reason other than pleasure! I bet you'll come up with some great stuff. I'm also impressed with your calendar. You go girl!

JJ,
Thanks for the kind words...I'll be over tomorrow to clean the moat...no such thing as a free meal! LOL

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/27/06 05:40 PM

Jane, while reading your book, I couldn't help but think of this town in Baltimore called Hamden. All the ladies there dress like Bertha. Honestly. You must go to this link and check it out.

Be sure to browse the Cafe Hon site a bit to see more. It's such a great place to visit. Some of the photos are from the Hon Fest. Boy would I love to go to that with my boomer sisters. It's a laugh riot. My friend that I've known since second grade, and I have been and we we're threatening to enter the Hon Contest. 2007 could be our year.

http://cafehon.ezsitemaster.com/page/1dbhu/HonFest___Events.html

Cafe Hon even has a HUGE pink flamingo on the front of the bar and restaurant. It is owned by a womena who has revitalized the ares. Hamden now consists of tons of businesses that mainly consist of women owners. If anyone comes to visit me, we'll definitely go there to get a taste of old Bawdemore Hon!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/27/06 05:42 PM

Be sure to scroll down and look at the pixtures (that's how they say it in Bawdemore). Do they look like Bertha or what?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/28/06 12:50 PM

Dotsie,

How can you be sure that redhead isn't Bertha? I love the images that people get of Bertha. How old do you think she is?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/28/06 03:03 PM

Bertha is a perpetual 32 year old.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/28/06 03:22 PM

29. What a great event. How much fun would that be? We could have a Boomer Fest there. What was the book that a woman from the south wrote about her club...sweet potatoe queens or something? Bertha would fit in perfectly.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/28/06 06:59 PM

People usually say that Bertha is whatever age they are...Vicki and Dianne...are you telling us you aren't really boomers?!

A boomer sister party would be fun...can we all stay with you Dotsie...we'll bring sleeping bags!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/28/06 09:24 PM

I'm up for it.

Didn't you just love the photos of all those Bertha's? Ross and I went to Cafe Hon for dinner last night, then went to see the Christmas lights in the city. I could have sworn Bertha was the hostess!

Jane, how long ago did you learn about the Law of Achievement and how much of what you learned tied into your book?

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/29/06 01:55 PM

Dotsie,

I did love the photos of the Bertha's...and I wondered where she was last night! I hope she got good tips!!

I first learned about LOA after I had started writing the first Bertha and it did play a large part in the content of the book. I think one of the biggest things for me was to take responsibility for my life, including the things that weren't the way I wanted them to be. I tended to feel like a victim a lot before that...and there was always somebody else to blame...ex-husbands topped the list!

The message that I really wanted to get across...underneath the spandex and high-heels...is that our thoughts and attitudes and beliefs really do influence the quality of our lives...if we want a better life then we have to begin to have better thoughts.

It's a process. We can't go from total negativity to Pollyana in one day. That's why Bertha still has a few issues with insecurities. The important thing is to continually make that effort to find a better, kinder thought about yourself and others.

Get off the soapbox, Bertha...aren't your feet tired from working at Cafe Hon?!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/30/06 03:14 PM

Jane, you definitely accomplished your mission with that book. What I found interesting is that lots of what you included in your book, I've learned in Bible studies, prayer group and at church. Cool, huh? It may not have been your intention but it just goes to show that the Bible covers most topics that have to do with self-development.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/30/06 03:24 PM

I can't believe the month is almost over. I have loved the opportunity to answer your questions and interact with you in this special way...we've all been busy with the holidays and now we're cleaning up the mess and looking forward to 2007.

I thought I would share my overall goals for my writing, radio show, coaching, speaking for 2007...

to impact at least 50,000 women this year

to reach #1 on Amazon for at least one day

to complete the next book "Putting Your Best Foot Forward"

to speak at one or more national women's conferences

Of course I have lots of other goals as I know all of you do and we're talking about them in a couple of other threads. Just wanted to put these 'out there'. I appreciate your support as they become reality!

I still have a couple of days to answer any questions you might have...or just to have a fun conversation...I'll be around this weekend.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/30/06 10:24 PM

Jane,
We have all benefited from your presence here and I personally want to thank you for sharing your wisdom. (Course, you know I taught her everything she knows...right?)

I have no doubt that you will accomplish your goals and wish you nothing but the very best in everything you do...

I just wanted to say that before you left the build--ah, forums, Elv---ah, I mean Jane....

Love ya, JJ

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/30/06 10:37 PM

JJ,

Thank you...and yes, you did teach me everything I know...well, except maybe that stuff I knew before I met you!

It has been an honor to be featured on the forum...my thanks to Dotsie and you and all the boomer sisters for your support!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 03:57 PM

You've been a shining light of inspiration and joy, Jane. It was great having you all to ourselves. Thanks for being here. I wish you the best in all that you do and know that you will accomplish your goals for 2007.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 05:46 PM

Thank you Vicki. It has been such a delight to be here! And I wish for you and all of my boomer sisters a very prosperous New Year...whether you are writing or working 9-5 or enjoying a well-earned retirement or whatever you are doing...I hope you do it well and have a blast!

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 07:03 PM

Jane, you have lofty goals. You are making me think I should dream/do bigger. I remember my first "treasure map" which is a visualization board. I did it 20 years ago. I cut a teeny tiny ad for a microwave and put that on my poster board. Yup, that's what I wanted, a microwave. Since then I've learned to dream a bit bigger. I look forward to all the messages and posts we will share in the new year. Love and Light, Lynn

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 07:10 PM

Lynn,

Funny you mentioned the treasure map...I have my original one from 5 years ago that I have been updating over the years and was just thinking that it might be time for a whole new one...we'll see...I may just update it again...I'm really thinking about a house...I've been renting for over a year and I'm starting to want a place of my own again...bigger with more closets! In the meantime, I'll try to enjoy living right here...

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 09:58 PM

Are there any specific directions for making one? I've never done it. I'm a big one for writing things sown, but have never done a map. Any advice is welcome.

Re: Jane Carroll - 12/31/06 10:29 PM

Dotsie,

The way I've done them is to cut out pictures and words from magazines that represent things that I want and just paste them on poster board. One source recommended including pictures of yourself on the board so that your subconscious will recognize that it is for you. So I pictures of me and my girls on mine. I'll have to add Bailey, too!

Mine has things for the top 4 areas in life...relationships, spiritual, health and career/finances. But you can do one for just one area or one project. You can take photographs of things you want...like you sitting in the new car that you want...you can draw pictures...it really doesn't matter how you do it. Some people do notebooks instead of posters so they can take them with them. Some people create a treasure chest and put all the stuff in a decorative box.

The sky's the limit...be creative and have fun with it.

Re: Jane Carroll - 01/01/07 04:09 AM

Well Ladies...

My reign as author of the month is officially coming to a close. It's 10:00 pm here in Alabama...but I know it's midnight somewhere...so I'm headed to bed.

My hope is that you have found some morsel from our time together that you can take away with you. I know that several of you purchased a copy of Bertha...I am very grateful and hope it will bring you as much pleasure as it did me to write it.

I just finished the monthly Bertha-Zine...I try to include a new Bertha story every month...sometimes it is challenging...but I do this as my gift back to my readers and friends. There's a link on the website, if you'd like to subscribe...I'd love to have you! There's also the blog, which I don't update as often as I would like...but it's fun when I do...again, I'd love for you to check it out. And don't forget the radio show...it's a nice blend of Bertha wisdom and interviews with experts from all walks of life...some of them you even know!

2007 is going to be a great year for all of us...let me know if I can help you in any way! Until then...find something to smile about every day...life is better when you're smiling!