Under The Tuscan Sun

Posted by: Dotsie

Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/01/03 04:31 AM

Fianlly, I've started the book. I think it has gotten off to a bit of a slow start, but I know wnough women who've either read the book or seen the movie, so I'm charging forward. [Smile]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/01/03 08:01 AM

Is that the book of the month? Because if it is, I want in on this. So what do I do? I need a reason to go get the book and read it.

Kate

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/01/03 10:22 PM

DK, all lyou need do is get the book and read it. Post as you go along! it's that easy....glad you are joining us.

FYI, the book gets going around page 22. Just my opinion! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/04/03 03:51 AM

Can't wait to start. I am finishing up A Painted House and want to start ASAP. Looking forward to it. [Wink]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/04/03 07:31 AM

Wait a sec......what's "A Painted House"? I want to know about that one too.

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/08/03 07:40 PM

Kate, A Painted House is by John Grisham - not bad. It is not one of his lawyer stories.

Just started Under the Tuscan Sun. Not very far in...the house has just been purchased and the initial clean up has begun.

I can relate to this book so far. I love remodleing, particularly historical structures and I love recapturing the landscape. When we moved into our current house, we had poison ivy and honeysuckle growing right on the house! I can relate to their tasks at hand.

How fortunate to be able to spend your summers in Tuscanny.

I wish there was a map in the book. I am a little ignorant of the Italian country geographically. It would be nice to reference a map for bearings. There goes the navigator in me again! I am enjoying my read.

Can anyone else relate to this couple? Or is it too far festched to go off and buy a summer home 7,000 miles away from your winter home? What do you think?

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/08/03 09:15 PM

Lynn, it's alittle far fetched for me right now, but I'm a dreamer so I love the idea.

You will like this book even better as you get into it a little more. If you like fixer-uppers, good food, and decorating, you'll lovve this book.

I'm waiting fpr a little more of the love story to get rolling! Such a sap! [Big Grin]

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/13/03 03:25 PM

I'm about half-way through and need to post about it. I just keep forgetting to bring my book into the office. [Eek!]

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/15/03 04:52 PM

Now I'm anxious to see the movie. Can't wait to see what the house looks like. While I love decorating I must say I don't have the energy it takes to do what they are doing. Geez, how old are they? [Razz]

DOn't know about you but my mouth waters when I read about the food they prepare. I wanted to attend the party with them on page 76. What a lovely setting.

Lynn, what do you say we go there on vacation and hit the market near their house? I might think I've died and gone to heaven.

On page 85, I could relate to her when she was talking about doing chores at her other home and being dragged down by them, feeling like she was wasting time, had better things to do.

But it's all in her perspective because she is doing similar, actually harder chores on her new home in Tuscany. Oh what a difference woking on a vacation home must make!

I also found page 91 interesting when she returned home to all her STUFF in her home and how she was overwhelmed by it in comparison to her rather empty home in Tuscany. Made me think about the *stuff* in my home that I could do without. [Eek!]

So far i'm enjoying the book. Still wish there were more relational things going on!

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/15/03 10:47 PM

Tuscanny is definetly on my list of places to go. But I am afraid if I do go to Europe I jsut won't come home. I have a tendency to do that sometimes.

I'm with you Dotsie-it all sounds wonderful. I will post my thoughts soon, I am not that far along. I have to run and play the "June bug" game now. This will keep all you Moms of older kids guessing!

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/16/03 04:18 PM

I know what June bugs are, but never heard of the game. [Big Grin] Takes me back to the blustery cold days of playing inside with my kids. The things I would do to keep all of us occupied....

Lynn, I think this book can be a great escape f or you right now. What do you say?

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/17/03 03:07 AM

You are right Dotsie, I am having a little difficulty staying focused but when I do, I enjoy the book.

I would like to see more relationship also. It seems to move things along for me. I guess I like dialogue.

Just the color of the book makes me warm and I do hate winter!!!

Right now, a family jigsaw puzzle is calling me, actually not the puzzle but the closeness of the family. reading is on hold again!

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/25/03 03:34 AM

I don't know if it is the season or me or the book. I love the topic, I love the setting but I am not reading the book.

I am considering moving on to a book with more realtionships....one I can't put down. Seems liek with a little bit of time off, I want to hunker down in an escape book and this one is not doing it for me. Maybe my timing is off.
Is anyone else having trouble? [Mad]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/25/03 04:09 AM

I agree. I heard so many of my friends who are avid readers say they didn't like it, that I was convinced before I even got it that I wouldn't like it. I have to admit I haven't read a page of it. Is that narrow-minded or what?

I too want escape though...especially now with this nasty cold. Sorry group...I should have said something sooner...forgive?

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/26/03 04:54 PM

Lynn and jawjaw, I have to agree. I've decided I don't like it because there isn't much dialogue. And the dialogue that is there isn't very interesting. It's all facts, no emotion.

I fell like I'm reading a history book with Italian words thrown in and many little towns and villas that don't mean anything to me.

I have enjoyed reading about the food and decorating.

I keep waiting for this love affair to happen and I don't think it does.

Also, I saw the movie while reading the book and it was drastically different. ANyone seen it?

Sorry to have led everyone astray here. I feel so responsible, but I ehard the movie was great (which I don't agree with). I read lots of reviews on the book too and thought it would be a great read for all of us.

Sorry!

We'll begin our next book soon and it's,
the five people you met in heaven, by Mitch Albom. He's the same fellow who wrote Tuesdays With Morrie.

I've heard this is a book that makes you think. It's also a very quick read. The kind you can't put down. So we shall see.

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 12/27/03 10:50 PM

Great pick! I read this book in late October. I received it for my birthday. I can't wait to talk about it. There are so many differnt interpretations to the events in the book it should provide good conversation.

Don't fret over making a pick that was not right for us. Who would have known? And we can influence the decision too, so we are all to blame if blame is even needed. Forget about it!

Let's get going on the next book and maybe we will all visit Tuscany together sometime. [Cool]
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 01/15/04 05:06 AM

I'm in the middle of reading this book and like it. We restored our farmhouse while living on site and that's its own nightmare. Instead of shopping at the village market, we killed our own hogs the first 6 years. Then (God answers prayer in *very* strange ways!) I developed high blood pressure and we decided if we wanted bacon, we'd buy it like everyone else <g>.

Good book though. Nice escapism read.
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Under The Tuscan Sun - 01/18/04 10:29 PM

I've finished Tuscan Sun and found it...wanting.
Up until the last couple of chapters, it was, imo, witty, gentle, warm and then the gradual slide into...into...whatever.

It started out being a lovely little tome about restoring a home in a foreign culture and ended up being "something" about religion.

Yawn. I skipped over quite a few of the end pages because I prefer to remember the book as a witty, gentle, warm tome about home restoration, culture, diverse and interesting people, etc.

Well. There you have it. My two cents with change left over. I still want to see the movie though <g>.