Wrtiting Grants

Posted by: Louisa

Wrtiting Grants - 11/24/04 05:11 AM

Hi Carolyn,
I have a question. Do you know anything about grants for writers? We have a wonderful organization in my city for artists and writers. The teacher in my writing class/group was told that she should apply for a grant to help our group with future books. We have self-published two anthologies. She said they might help with another group book or help individual writers publish their books. I'm not familiar with grants, but I do know this art organization and it is a good one and a strong one in our community. I just don't understand why anyone would give us a grant to publish our books. [Confused]
Thanks - and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Louisa
Posted by: Dian

Re: Wrtiting Grants - 11/24/04 05:27 AM

Hi Louisa - actually I have a little bit of information on grants for writers.

Poets and Writers has a monthly newsletter which lists deadlines for grants and contests.

Check out your state/city/regional arts council or something of that nature - for instance, the Appalachian Arts (my area)

and fdncenter.org has a newsletter you can subscribe to for Arts Funding.

And go to my Links for Writers page and click on Writer's grants or just click here:
http://www.handsforhope.com/LinksforWriters.htm#Writer's%20Grants

Good luck!

[ November 23, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Dian ]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Wrtiting Grants - 11/24/04 05:40 AM

Thanks, Dian.
Louisa
Posted by: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Re: Wrtiting Grants - 11/28/04 07:01 AM

Dian is right. Poets and Writers is a good resource for grants, conferences, contests and more. I, howver, am of no use at all here excepting to tell you to Gooogle Hope Clark. She is a member of NAWW, Nat. Assoc of Wom. Writers, and has written a book on grants and also writes them for others and coaches others (I think) when they want to write their own. If you contact her, tell her I said 'Hi.' Be prepared for a learning curve. Grand writing is quite different from other kinds but I know you can do it. I mean we all have to learn to write synopses and query letters, right?
Sorry not to be of more help. Maybe this is a subject for FRUGAL II!!
Posted by: government grants

Re: Wrtiting Grants - 10/23/05 06:45 AM

Poets and writers is quite good. I found their newsletters very informative. Highly recommended.

---
Everything About Government Grants