My senseless money spending obsessions are..

Posted by: orchid

My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/10/07 04:27 AM

* quality art supplies in bulk. Like I do this whenever I visit Toronto. It's just insane...prices in on West coast for art supplies. Dunno why since there are alot of serious artists and art students here in Lotusland.

*books. Horrible. Before I relocated ..I sold/gave away 80 books. By now, they've been replaced with new ones. No, I don't use my public library much anymore...pathetic...and I'm a professional librarian by formal training and experience.

*cycling gear/clothing. I swoon over clothing that fits me. I have 3 bikes. Yes, I use both. 3rd one is a 2nd-hand clunker mountain bike, now reserved for guests. (Ok, look I do know some women who have 5 bikes).

*1 STarbuck's coffee nearly daily. I justify this because I rarely buy lunch.

*T-shirts. Have so many from places where I've visited. I mean I will NOT part my T-shirt that I got from the Arctic when I was in Nunavut territory in northern Canada.

*shoes. But not as bad as some women...and men.Believe it or not. I've known men who owned 15 pairs of shoes.
Posted by: gims

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/10/07 07:49 AM

Books - I'm book poor - currently have over 2000 titles in my personal library. I was ordering online there for a bit and was feeling really bad about it, not having my own income and all. Asked my husband to give me a book allowance, as one of my orders came to $80+. He did @ $40 month... heehee, then I found PBS!!! Culled my unwanted titles and got me some MORE, MORE, MORE books. Now, I need more bookshelves. The 7 we have just will not hold all of mine, plus his computer manuals.

Other than that, I have little to spend money on but my GRANDS (good thing, since I have no job). I've cut back on that, tho, as they have everything they need and have to earn pretty much whatever else they want.

Last big purchase for myself was my stock of 32 live oak trees. But, I went to a tree farm auction to get them, so it wasn't really that big of a purchase. A buy a plant or two, here and there, but nothing that breaks the bank.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/10/07 09:14 AM

Coffee mugs. We got so many that we have mounted sideboards in our kitchen where they hang from. We have developed a cup drinking system. Every day another cup...takes care of the dusting. I love it. Each cup has a story behind it.

Gimster, 32 oak trees? Wow, you must own lots of land!
Orchid, I'm a Starbuck coffee fan too. Wish we could meet at one of them!

I think I own too many pairs of Jeans...I don't know why I buy more;… they all look alike.

Hubby has a golf ball feeble, and I'm beginning to develop that myself.
Posted by: diamond50

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 05:18 AM

I can never buy enough tees and tops.
Being in Hawaii, I have bought flops for my feet in every
color and pattern lol.
Love all kinds of magazines because I love fast reading.
I do buy alot of things for my grandkids : )

Hubby is always buying golf clubs.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 05:30 AM

32 sounds like alot, but they were 10 gallon trees. We have all but 3 in the ground, ready to fertilize sometime next month. Not much land, but I was surprised at how hard it was to find places to plant that many. I put them all on the 4 acres we have homesteaded, lined the front fenceline and up the drive, and then planted a few here and there on our other property line. Hope they start filling out soon.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 06:35 AM

Quote:

32 sounds like alot, but they were 10 gallon trees. We have all but 3 in the ground, ready to fertilize sometime next month.

Girl, we gonna find you in a forest!
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 01:31 PM

Purses. It's an obsession.

Jeans......guess I keep trying to find the perfect pair. And why does it seem that when I try on a pair and LOVE them in the fitting room, two weeks later I put them on to go somewhere and they don't seem to fit the same?!?

Crosstitch and craft supplies.....although I've slowed down a little bit when it comes to buying this stuff. Going thru a spell where I'm bound and determined to finish some of the projects in my "to do" box before I buy any more of this stuff! but I still give in now and then if I find something new that looks interesting or something that will just be the perfect gift for someone.

Make-up or moisturizer new product samples. Does anyone else love stuff in little sample sizes? I love trying new products and the sample sizes are great for this plus they come in so handy for traveling. Package it little and cute and I'll buy it!!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 03:45 PM

Books and shoes. I can't bear to part with any of my books. We have books piled all over the house because I ran out of bookshelf space. I keep thinking that as soon as the house is finished I'll have more bookshelves. But the remodeling has been going on for a year and no end in sight. So I guess I'll just have to make more piles.

And I have the problem with shoes that Ann has with jeans. I go shoe shopping in the afternoon so it's not that my feet swell after I've bought shoes. But I have no problem getting rid of shoes - if I haven't worn them in a year, they go to the thrift store.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 05:52 PM

Oh gosh, I know I have a problem with books. I just can't seem to get enough. My bookshelves are over flowing and every available space has piles of books on them. My to be read pile is starting to topple over. I added 3 more books to it yesterday. I only go to B&N once a month, but with the Internet so handy I can hit B&N and Amazon any time I want.

I think I spend a lot of clothes too. I go in spurts. I won't buy for awhile, and then I'll go on a shopping spree and buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars in clothes. But, I go through them every year and what I don't wear anymore gets donated to charity. I do the same thing with my husband's clothes. I go on shopping sprees for him too.

Now that I have a new grandbaby, I can tell where my next shopping frenzy is going to start.

I'm not that hooked on shoes. Give me a good, supportive, steady walking shoe and I'm happy.

Never been all that into purses either. One serves me for everything. I do have one evening purse for the off chance I use it. (I think I've used it once in the last 3 or 4 years).
Posted by: Anno

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 07:24 PM

I have been trying hard to think of my shopping obsession, but I am really all over the place. I spend way too much money on skin care - none of it works - and hair care - ditto. I buy too many clothes, and like Vicki, I go in spurts.

I spend too much on hobby stuff, too - paint, paint brushes, plants for the garden, but then forget to do the hobby.

I buy way too many spices and herbs and then decide not to cook.

Books - I read in spurts, too. 10 books on a vacation and then nothing for months. Magazines I subscribe to and never read them.

I guess I spend lots of money senselessly and in many areas. Kinda scary.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 10:55 PM

ewwww, orchid, I'd love to live in a forest! on or near a mountain range! where there are stunning seasonal changes! where the weather is fair and neutral! where I can hear the sound of water and visit when I please! I'm there now in my head!

I hate when I buy something that fits perfectly, wear it OUT, and can't find a replacement! CSQ, if you like samples check this site: http://www.everydayminerals.com/ On the products page, look for free sample kit - yep, free... +shipping and handling, of which mine was only $3.45. I wish I had ordered one of their brushes, when I ordered my sample kit, but I didn't... hohum.

Books, did I hear books... ?

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/11/07 11:16 PM

That should have read: everyday minerals custom mineral makeup kits - for those who are interested, it is the first title under the pic on the right side of the home page.
Or, try this link: http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=kits
look for:
Free Sample Makeup Kit
$0.00

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 01:56 AM

When I was sewing lots..I used to buy reams of beautiful fabric. A quality fabric store was where I spent happy time, rhapsodizing over texture, colour and imagining stuff I could make.

So ended up all sorts of fabric lengths..some of which I gave away to family and friends.

Gimster, you need to plan for vacation home elsewhere with mtns., etc.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/britishcolumbia/pool/page2/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/livingwilderness/335303958/in/pool-britishcolumbia/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golden009/369351508/in/pool-britishcolumbia/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfaulkner/383194507/
Posted by: chickadee

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 03:42 AM

I watched the above sites as slideshows. Stunningly beautiful pics.
I don't spend money like I used to. When I go to Alabama, I buy my Jeans, maybe 4 - 6 prs at Maurices because they are the ONLY brand that fits me perfectly.
I am a coat fanatic and I rarely get to wear them so I guess that would be my senseless spending item. I buy most on sale though, and my daughter usually picks what she needs when she visits. Come to think of it, she's the reason I need more Maurices jeans. We are the same size.

chick
Posted by: WizardofZA

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 09:30 PM

Dishes...go figure!
I have 2 full sets of good china (one heirloom Limoges from my grandmother) 5 sets of various colored chargers...silver, gold, red, copper, turquoise; 2 sets of Christmas (one Spoke); 2 sets of outdoor dishes, 5 sets of everyday...plain green, plain white, southwestern, Mexican tile and Tuscan. I don't cook much, either, but when I entertain, things sure do look purty!!! hahaha
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 09:48 PM

This is so interesting. Anno, if you want to spend money on skin care that works, get Arbonne from Danita and hand care from starting over. That's my vote.

I am not a spend thrift. I really don't have anything other than books that I love to buy.

However, we spend lots of money on good food by either eating out or buying and entertaining at home. We also spend money on travel. We have taken our kids to many awesome beaches and we also do lots of little trips to fun places.

Wizard, I have a friend who also buys dishes and another who buys linens. Welcome back!
Posted by: TVC15

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 10:01 PM

I've been into buying Kitchen gadgets lately. Got a new blender and I'm looking for a new coffee pot.

And I went on a magazine splurge a couple months ago but got all the subscriptions at sale, or professional prices.

Books I do in spurts. I buy too many at once and then stop until I read them all. I've still got a couple to finish before I can buy more.

I don't buy enough clothes and am always sorry when we get invited somewhere at the last minute and I have nothing to wear. It drives my husband crazy. He's like, buy yourself some new clothes already! (I know I'm not normal in that area, am I?)
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/12/07 11:08 PM

I haven't been spending a lot of time shopping or spending money lately. But one thing I'm constantly fighting off the urge to buy are kitchen things - especially tea towels - I mean, what's with this obsession with tea towels!!! I just can't understand that one. I'm ALWAYS drawn to tea towels, and have a very hard time resisting really pretty ones. I've had a life-long hatred of doing dishes (long cinderella-type story there) up until the past couple of years. And now I just can't get enough tea towels.

I also love to buy books, and am like TVC - I'll buy lots of them at once (mainly to take advantage of the free shipping), and then stop until I've read a few of them. I must have over 20 books here that I've bought in the last year and still haven't opened yet...but I WANT to. I'm bouncing between the two new Joseph Girzone books (Never Alone and Joshua) right now, but can't even finish a whole page these days.

I did buy myself a snazzy pair of black/grey jeans (with lots of embroidery down one leg) the other day. Original price was $50, got them for $15. Got them home, they looked so hot, hubby insisted I go back and buy another pair! Same colour (the only colour on the rack), but longer leg, in case the other ones shrink. That was fun, finding a pair that actually looked and felt good.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/13/07 04:08 AM

Oh, orchid, I'd love to say, "I'm on my way right now!" What awesome pictures. And I WILL get to see the Aurora Borealis someday, in person! I will, I will!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/13/07 07:57 AM

Beads. Bet no one was surprised at that one I rationalize by telling myself it's for my business, but I know I overspend when I go to the wholesale show. Just walk down the aisles with an open checkbook: I'm dangerous.
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/13/07 04:09 PM

I'm with meredith when it comes to jewelry findings. I'm into silver right now and that is getting more expensive each day. There is a big bead show in Cincinnati this weekend and I'll be there, telling myself I won't spend over so much, but I will.

I also can't resist beautiful yarn. Really, the reason I knit is because I love the colors and textures of the yarn.
Posted by: Laurel

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 02/16/07 03:59 PM

I have a sinful amount of books, jewelry and fabric. I can't get enough.

I know what you mean about jeans not fitting after you wash them. You know what I discovered? Most of them now days say to wash them in cold water. Who knew. I always wash mine in warm water. They don't prewash cloth these days before they make a garment and so when you wash them they shrink.

Laurel
Posted by: ShirleyValentine

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 04/29/07 12:38 AM

Quote:

Beads. Bet no one was surprised at that one I rationalize by telling myself it's for my business, but I know I overspend when I go to the wholesale show. Just walk down the aisles with an open checkbook: I'm dangerous.

Hi, I'm another bead fiend
Love your pieces!

Other things I can't seem to stop buying are:

handbags

shoes

jewellery (despite the fact that I make the stuff myself too )
Posted by: Saundra

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 04/29/07 01:20 AM

I have to say I loved the movie "Shirley Valentine." This is the first time I've seen your name. Hi!
Posted by: Elsielc

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/01/07 09:25 PM

I'm RETIRED!! I can't afford senseless spending obsessions....except for:
BOOKS - I'll NEVER get to read all that I have, but just having them makes me feel smarter....
PURSES....I can only carry one at a time...maybe. Just like lipsticks - one to match every outfit...even sweats... I filled up 14 banker's boxes this weekend while organizing a closet...
COSMETICS - especially samples sizes. I;m an Avon lady and after 22 years I have closets full..love to play and dabble. Something has gotta work sometime!!!
All this has been complicated by working at a Thrift Store and Used Book store! Egads! Temptation everywhere...cheap prices...new things. HELP!!
Posted by: Louisa

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/05/07 11:05 AM

Jewelry! Jewelry! And more jewelry! I make beaded jewelry as well, but I'm more into cut stones so that's what I buy. I love Swarovski crystal. I just love things that sparkle. I also seem to have a thing for pocketbooks and tote bags. I have a lot of books, but when the pile gets too big, I donate some. I buy a lot of shoes and then only wear my "favorite" pair. Oh, and clothes. Love to buy clothes. But, I don't think of jewelry as senseless spending.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/05/07 12:54 PM

I love perfume and perfume bottles. When they are empty, I have a hard time throwing away a pretty bottle.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/05/07 06:57 PM

I know what you mean, Hannelore. What on earth are we going to do with the an empty bottle someone might ask? doesn't matter, does it? If I get jewelry in a pretty box, I can't throw that away either.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/08/07 10:11 PM

I'm really bad and have splurges where I'll spend spend spend and then come back to my senses and go "oh my God, what did I just do?"

I spend on clothes. For me, for my husband and for my grandson.

I spend on books. I can't buy just one book. I have to by lots of books. Right now my To be Read pile stands at 16 books. Will that stop me from buying more if one catches my eye. Not!

I also spend on my dog and bird. I love to find toys for my bird. He has such fun with them. And, he destroys them in the process, so have to find replacements.

Those are my obsessions. Oh, and I am OCD about having more than enough TP in the house. I store the extra large packages out in the garage. Same with Paper towels. I get that way with food sometimes too. It's not just to have 1 of something, but 2 of something, so when I run out I can have a back up immediately and not have to wait to go to the grocery store.

Yes, it's an obsession.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/08/07 10:22 PM

What do you mean an obsession! Running out of TP is a real problem, so we have to stock up when it's on sale. LOL We don't just have a toilet roll holder in the bathroom, we have a 'rack' that holds 4 rolls (8 if we double them up.) It comes from being poor and having to spend what little money we had on the necessities, like food, paper products were a luxury then. My SO is the same way, and we always buy extras when they're on sale.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/08/07 11:06 PM

Yonuh, your post made me laugh. My husband grew up very poor and always hungry. When we first met, I only ever kept a few groceries in the apartment, because I just didn't eat much in those days. So it was quite disconcerting when he kept buying LARGE quantities of EVERYTHING, from TP and dish soap to beans and pasta sauce! I had to finally give in and let him because it was such an obsession with him to have 'enough' food in the house.

When we were house-hunting in 2000, we walked into this one and simply because it had TWO pantries, we bought it right then and there. Both pantries are so overflowing with food that if we did have any kind of emergency situation, we'd be able to feed the entire neighbourhood for 2-3 weeks!

(That was how we negotiated the issue - my condition was that if there ever WAS an emergency, we wouldn't hoard it, we'd have to share it with our neighbours)
Posted by: MarshaPet

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/21/07 03:56 AM

Hey there, I am a Avon Lady too !!! There is always something new that I want to buy. With our discounts the price is right. I love buying skin care and jewelry.
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/21/07 06:34 PM

Oh my god!!! I am so art supply addicted! I had my husband build a rustic armoire so I could house all my stuff, however I made one mistake, making it too deep so by the time I find what I want, I've found four other art things I wanted to work on. I've got clay, ceramic, air dry, plastic and paper; paints, I've got oil, acrylic, water; I've got chalk, pastels, oil pastels, ceramic paint, every kind of paper, jars full of brushes, scrapbook paper, home made paper, paper on rolls, paper from magazines. I've got brown paper sacks that I use to draw on, I've got paper, gourds, canvas, old windows, old wood, scissors, cutters, pasta rollers, cut outs, beads from every place I go, beads I can make......oh and don't even talk about fabric, TUBS and that is what I've kept after I've Freecycled lots, and sewing machines, count 'em, three........that's enough, any more and you'll all think I'm WAY scary.

Kate

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/25/07 03:26 PM

Marshapet, welcome. I hope yoou'll stick around and let us get to know more about you.

Kate, I can hear your passion for your art projects. Can you post pictures? YOu need to meet my SIL!

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/25/07 07:03 PM

Helloooo Marshapet. Welcome to BWS.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 05/27/07 10:34 PM

Hi there MarshaPet, I buy Avon quite often. Use to sell it when I was a senior in highschool, door to door. Takes a real saleswoman to be successful now with all the competition out there, but its hard to beat the Avon guarantee and the quality is good too...
Posted by: Dianne

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/07/07 05:25 PM

You know I'm going to say shoes but honestly, I've been trying really hard to not buy any.

Books. I have five waiting to be read. All different genres.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/08/07 02:55 AM

Dianne, I thought of you yesterday. I was BROWSING with no intention of buying anything. I was FORCED to go down the shoe aisle because other customers and employees were blocking every other aisle (that's the truth). To avoid temptation, I deliberately chose the aisle with shoes two sizes smaller than my feet. BUT, this pair of sandals literally jumped out at me. Now, I'm not normally a shoe-impulse buyer, but these were gorgeous. Perfect fit, and perfect for traveling - light, dressy, go with everything. So I didn't even hesitate, threw them in the basket - and loved that I just did it without talking myself out of buying them. That's partly your influence on me - a GOOD influence, because I rarely allow such extravagant spending on myself - but it felt good, and the shoes look wonderful, and so I thank you for sharing your shoe-thing here, because I like the difference you've made in my life.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/08/07 04:13 AM

Quote:

Oh my god!!! I am so art supply addicted!

Kate, me also. Whenever I visit Toronto (I used to live there), I seem to buy a stack of art supplies, because there's more choice and competitive prices compared..to Vancouver. Wierd since there are alot of artists living on the west coast.

I feel guilty...juicy hunks of oil paints, block paints, ...waiting to be used.

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/08/07 02:57 PM

Oh goody, I've turned Eagle into a shoe lover. It doesn't get much better than that!!!! Any other takers?
Posted by: chocoholic

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/08/07 04:18 PM

I have to admit, my weakness is still for accessories- purses, jewelry, scarfs. Redecorating the house also gets me every time. I see an accent piece I like and everything goes downhill from there!

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/10/07 10:52 PM

Dianne, I'm getting there. I've bought more shoes this past year than ever. I discovered it yesterday when a niece was here from out of town and needed brown sandals to wear to the big family wedding. I told her not to run out and buy them. I had three options right off the bat. Yikes!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/11/07 01:42 AM

Well, Dianne,
You have me on your list of shoes fans . I have two pair of white sandals and three pair of black sandals and not sure why I did not and got all on sale . I do get in on those sales and get bargins . I got a handbag for church today a Liz bag for seven dollars on sale . I did get rid of a lot of old shoes .

Dianne , I don't dare to count the shoes yet . I have shoe boxes and have to label them next . I do need a pair of white shoes for white dress pants though .

Renee

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/13/07 01:55 PM

I'll say it again...books! And I'm afraid I have my oldest son doing the same thing. I have got to get that boy to the library which is where we spent many hours when he was a teeny thing. I remember waling home from the library with the double stroller, the two little one in it, him hanging on, and books falling out of the bin on the bottom. Fun memories.
Posted by: turtle

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/14/07 09:27 PM

Who cares life goes by quick enjoy love the things you love. Enjoy yourself

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/15/07 04:30 PM

Renee, try light brown instead. They will look much better than white on white.

I threw away my French tennis shoes as I needed a new pair. One in--one out. They were ultra modern so it was hard to do.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/17/07 02:07 AM

Yes, Dianne, you got me too, like Dotsie said above, I have purchased more shoes this year than any other. Of course, my shoes on not haute coture French fansies, but rather Clark's! I like the brand, which is sensible. The truth is that my feet do not like shoes. I was more of the buffalo sandals kind of flower child, so I could go barefoot or flip flop around town. But lately, if I like a pair of shoes and they don't kill my feet, I buy two pairs in 2 different colors.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/18/07 04:44 AM

Dianne,
I will take your advise on the the light brown with the white pants . Oh, Lynnie I love clarks shoes so much and they are one sale now.

I better not go and get any more shoes

Renee
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/18/07 01:15 PM

Diane, can I hire you as my shopping consultant? I would love to take someome with me who knows how to put outfits together with shoes and accessories. Help!

Kathy

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/18/07 09:09 PM

Can you afford me? LOL!

Remember that your shoes should be half a shade or one shade darker than the hem or your dress or pants. Since the feet (and palms of your hands) are considered the ugliest parts of the body, draw attention away from them unless the shoes are so sexy you want people to notice. I have a few pair like that!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/19/07 03:18 AM

Diane, I thought of you when I went out to dinner tonight! There is a gift shop there, and they had the cutest plate with a red shoe, and it said:

"The Wizard of Oz is just a story about two women fighting over a pair of shoes."

I wanted to get it for you, but it was $78 (yikes!) and ya know I love ya, but - well, you're downsizing and don't need more stuff, right?

Kathy

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/19/07 09:19 AM

Diane, as your shopping consultant, Kathy? I think she'd be a shoe in...get it?

Re: My senseless money spending obsessions are.. - 06/24/07 10:51 PM

LOL! I would have loved that plate but I understand. Love only runs so deep, right? Was it made of gold or something? That's awfully expensive for a plate.