Ideas for biz startup costs?

Posted by: Stacy M.

Ideas for biz startup costs? - 02/04/06 12:59 AM

Hi Ladies -
Many of you have your own business. I've just started mine as a Home Coach, supporting the do-it-yourself decorator.

http://www.BloomsnBliss.com

Can anyone offer a suggestion for how I can get a small loan to cover startup costs? ($5K maximum)

I tried my bank (credit score too low for their 700+ requirement. I HATE credit scores!)
I tried Beneficial (two new credit accounts opened in last 6 mos.)

My hubby and I are bouncing back from horrible credit due to college expenses and job lay offs. We just qualified for credit cards again after not using them for 5 years.
SO FRUSTRATING! When is it ever good enough?! Either you have too much credit, not enough credit, bad credit and NOW, too new of credit!

Don't even get me started about the fact that I'm considered a Homemaker with no income. Joe makes a good income, we have a low debt to income ratio, we've paid off several accounts. We haven't been late for anything in 5 years. UGH!

Ok, I'm calmed down, now. [Smile]
I'm taking responsibility for the pickle I'm in. We were very irresponsible with money in our 20's and now, we must "pay" for that.

So, anywho, wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks for reading!
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Ideas for biz startup costs? - 02/04/06 01:24 AM

Have you checked with the government? Years ago, they were really trying to encourage women to start businesses and were offereing very low rate loans. Small business administration...maybe check with your chamber of commerce?

Re: Ideas for biz startup costs? - 02/04/06 01:59 AM

I did talk to the local SBA (small business administration) office and what they offer in relation to loans is backing. This is a great alternative so you don't have to use your house or do a personal guarantee. However, you must be able to at least qualify for the loan, first.

I know there are grant programs out there. Upon searching the internet, I find "opportunities" to buy books that list all the grants that are available. Haven't nixed this idea, yet.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Ideas for biz startup costs? - 02/09/06 08:21 AM

Do you have any family members who might be interested in investing in you?

Re: Ideas for biz startup costs? - 02/10/06 09:02 AM

I don't feel comfortable going to my family for something like this. I think I know how they'll respond and I don't want to go down that road. Yes, they may surprise me, but I'm willing to not find out.

Thanks for the suggestion!