children

Posted by: Dotsie

children - 08/19/04 06:49 PM

Does it ever end?

Last year we spent a boat load of money for our son to live in a dorm. This year we spent a boat load of money for our con to live in an apartment off campus with 3 of his buddies.

All I can say is next year he should have everything he needs to do this all over again.

And the year after, we'll be getting 2 ready for college dorms.

Is there any end in sight?

In addition to that, I took my daughter for school supplies this week and spent $100.00! [Eek!]

Have you found that you still spend money on your children once they've flown the nest?
Posted by: WizardofZA

Re: children - 08/20/04 01:56 AM

Is there an end in sight?

Short answer: NO!!!!!

It gets better, but my children sure know how to manipulate! When the youngest one and her new husband bought their house (aka the Money Pit), in March they never exactly asked for money, but they made sure we knew they could use some. And Daddy is usually ready to comply!
The older daughter is about to turn 30, has her own house, which is NOT a money pit, so things are a little better with her. But, she lives nearby and certainly spends a lot of time mooching meals, having us take care of her dog while she works, etc. etc. I'm not complaining because I love having her so close after the 11 years she spent in Texas, but we would definitely have a lot more expendable income if we weren't sharing so much of it with the kids. I guess I really don't mind, though. They're great kids, and if we're able to help, I'm glad to do so. I remember what it was like to be young and very broke. Now we're older and broker that we could be. [Smile]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: children - 08/21/04 02:19 AM

I order and take alot of vitamins. After a recent illness, large hospital bill and no work I was unable to order my usual supply. My son came over one afternoon and handed me my mail he had picked up. There was a Puritan Pride catalog and he said, "bet you've been waiting for this one, it's the 80% off sale." I smiled and said. "not this time." He quized me and when I said no extra money till I get to work he insisted I write up an order and (HE) wrote a check for what I ordered, which came to $142.00. So sometimes the kids do for the parents, happily and willingly. Life is good...... [Wink] .

Re: children - 08/29/04 01:53 AM

Hello everyone. This subject is just driving me nuts! I'm at a loss. I just don't know what to do to get tuition money. Since there will be another one next year, I know that I'll have come up with a solution and very fast.

Does anyone have college tuition advice? [Confused]

Re: children - 08/29/04 08:05 PM

Have you spoken with the financial aid office at your son's college?