Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash!

Posted by: Di

Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 06:09 PM

I could not believe this! I called, they credited it. It was such a small amount but really! It adds up.

Why do they think they have the right (I call it consumer fraud!) to charge ME to put cash in the bank? Plus, the checking acct. gets no interest, so they make MORE on my money!!

When speaking w/the local branch Asst. Mgr., I asked her to PLEASE train the tellers to let customers know that they WILL be charged a fee for depositing X amount of $'s. I would have not deposited a certain amount had I known..then gone back the next time.

This world is getting ridiculous! (should have been a Fine Whine I suppose!)
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 06:19 PM

You have got to be kidding me? They charge you a fee for depositing cash? Am I reading that right? That is ridiculous! I agree, Fraud with a capital F!

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 06:27 PM

Yes, you read that correctly.

I wrote to the President, via whitehouse.gov At least I "got it out there" as I hear recently he is wanting to do something about the protection of consumers. Hope he can get somewhere.

Funny thing is, the mgr also told me they "called around' to three other banks and they are doing it.

I DON'T CARE what others are doing. I don't want to be CHARGED..or at least WARNED!

I think it's the "creative" MBA"s who are trying to get money any way they can and "dream up" these schemes.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 06:39 PM

I totally agree...just like the car rental companies charging you a fee on top of a fee....just because. Gotta make that bottom line for the BIG BOYS...problem is, enough is never enough and they continue to move the line where they have to come up with new and more creative ways to make an extra buck. I hate it. Gosh, I'll be watching my bank. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 08:01 PM

Hey Di, thanks for telling us. The bank said "they called around" ... is that any way to establish policy???? Let's just call around.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 08:07 PM

How did they justify the surcharge, Di?

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 08:45 PM

I have to ask them, Lola. I did think of that question AFTER I called. I, too, want to know the justification.

Yeah, the "called around" was weird. Believe me, this is not stopping here. I'll be going TO the bank...another branch.

SOMEONE's got to at least TRY to stop this!

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 08:54 PM

They'd surely come up with "administration fee", which is the new "stealing in broad daylight".

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 08:57 PM

I just can't fathom that it might be "too much" for them to count. Heck, when I get change (for a show, like several ones etc) they use a machine to count it. Could they not do this when I deposit?

C'mon.....the more I think about this, the more irate I get!

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 09:22 PM

update..I called another branch.

She says that CASH takes more processing than checks! WHAT???
That this is supposed to be disclosed at time of opening the account. (NEVER heard this!) AND, get this..she also said "well, the tellers have to COUNT it"...to that I replied....I thought they get PAID to count money! She said "YEP, they do!" She was not sympathetic..but she did say the "higher ups" don't listen to them. I asked for a contact number..and was not given one so that they can hear from a "little guy". Nope, she said. Can't call...they DO get complaints about service fees.

I'm MAD you guys!!

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 09:29 PM

Google the Bank's corporate headquarters and speak to the CEO. Then e-mail him with your complaint and cc the press and broadcast media. Wanna bet, how quickly they'd rectify things?

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/18/09 09:40 PM

Love it Lola. I will follow thru!

DH also gave a GREAT suggestion...

Next time I drive up to the window, as the tellers if there is a FEE for depositing cash. If they say no, get their name/date etc etc and tell the boss that even THEIR own workers do not know!!

Love it..and I WILL do that!!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 07:47 AM

That's really insane. The banks would not exist without our cash.

If we adopted their policy -- "Sorry I have to charge you more to take your cash" -- we'd be out of business ASAP. As should they, if they keep it up.

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 01:26 PM

Agreed, Meredith. Without US, where would they be? And heck, if I had a customer with a LARGE purchase, I would not charge them. That is what we are doing; purchasing a service from the bank to "house" our money.

Update: I did go to the drive up window and asked the teller. She said "It depends on the amount". Well, I said, what is the amount? Anything over $1000. Not sure that means per day or per month or what.

PLEASE, ask your banks about this specifically. Especially if you are in Business. The bank is BBVA Compass, FYI.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 02:32 PM

The bank seems to give me a harder time when I deposit money,
than when I withdraw money. It bugs the heck out of me. You'd think I was Ma Barker or somethin'! Geese! I keep a reasonable amount on deposit at that particular bank. And I've banked there for decades. A friend was recently charged $50.00 at a bank
around here, for being overdrawn $5.00! Talk about a ripoff!
They'll let somebody like Madoff get away with scamming billions for an eternity, while law abiding people get the shaft. Ponzi schemers are ruining the financial system. Go figure!
Posted by: Madelaine

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 03:51 PM

wow, this is crazy. I joined a credit union 30 years ago. No fees
and friendly service. I'll never go back to a bank.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 03:54 PM

Cash takes more processing than checks? What are they thinking? I just don't get it.

We spent a night away this weekend. The hotel charges everyone a $15.00 recreation fee whether you use their workout room, pool, or not. They also charged $19.00 to park, and we parked the car ourselves. Didn't do valet.

Businesses are being forced to add little fees here and there just to stay in business. It's out of control.

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 06/30/09 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
Cash takes more processing than checks? What are they thinking? I just don't get it.

Well, they are NOT thinking. I wrote to my bank for a "justification" of that fee..NO REPLY! This bank is out of Argentina and an MBA is the head honcho. We do have another credit union account, but they can be a bit "closed minded" when it comes to businesses. They do not offer merchant services....at least ours does not!

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 07/01/09 01:33 PM

The cost of parking is nuts. It costs $25.00 just to park your car to watch a football game at our stadium. By the time you buy tickets and food, it costs several hundred dollars to enjoy one game. I do not know how couples with families can afford some events. Geese!
Posted by: Madelaine

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 07/01/09 02:49 PM

we beat that parking problem by driving close by and riding our bikes to actual events. We can park where it's free and chain our bikes up close.

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 07/02/09 02:11 PM

Madelaine,
Good idea. But I live so far out in the country, by the time I
got to where I was going, I'd be too tired to give a rip about
the game or concert or whatever.

Anne327,
Surrounding townships have free musical concerts within their
town square each summer. So WB and I ususally attend those.
I guess the point I was making before was this: Football tickets
cost aplenty and then folks have to pay $25.00 to park the car
on top of that. Geese. How ridiculous.

Re: Our bank charged a fee for depositing cash! - 07/14/09 10:46 PM

Update: We cannot open a new account, well, because we don't want to! We just opened these accounts and, as you all know, it's a PAIN to do so!

So, we split our cash deposits now so they don't add up to the target amt for which they charge.