He's the one...how did you know?

Posted by: Danita

He's the one...how did you know? - 04/07/07 04:10 PM

OK, calling all successfully (and happily married women)...

How did you know that he was the one?

And for you happily divorced and remarried women - I ask you the same.

Some girlfriends and I have debated this topic.....and I would LOVE your input!

Also, how do you know if it is too soon to get involved in a serious relationship?????

Inquiring minds want to know!

Danita
Posted by: chickadee

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/07/07 04:48 PM

I call it the red flag theory. If you see ANY red flags run for the hills.

If he's the right one, it takes a little time to find out(in my opinion), yes in my opinion.

I believe you have to experience a few highs and lows and see how you get through them together.

MOODY men CANNOT be "fixed" and don't even bother to try. It's like putting a band-aid on open heart surgery.

I knew he was the one when he didn't give up the chase yet didn't pressure me if you can figure that one out. He was my best friend first.

Back to the red flags - if you see one that you don't like, ask yourself if it will be one you can ALWAYS live with. For instance Jealousy is not because he cares....

Danita, we all need someone who we are so comfortable with that we are happy to show them to the world...and visa versa.

It's too soon when you are not sure if it's not long enough. I know clear as mud.

Take your time and follow your heart with an open clear mind. Then let it happen.

Danita, I see good things in your future
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/07/07 09:28 PM

Danita, this is probably not what you want to hear,…but here goes. I was never sure my husband was the one. I just thought I'd risk it. Pretty stupid, heh? But still, … so far our marriage has lasted 32 years.

Waiting for that "perfect" one may mean you might never find him. I was lucky to be able to pick and choose between many a marriage proposal. But there was always something wrong. Either one was too jealous, too egocentric, or I didn't like his body smell, or another liked alcohol too much. I ended up marrying a man that I felt I could look up to; a man that shares my interests and who embraces life with energy and love.

Despite all our ups and downs, I still wouldn't trade my husband for any other man that I have met in my life time. But then again…I never met George Clooney personally. Naw…I wouldn't even want him. I'm sure he's a womanizer, don't you think? And who needs that.

In any case I'd live with someone before I def. decide anything. As for when is it too soon to get involved? If being with him makes you happy happy happy…and you don't even want to meet another man….then it's not too soon. If you are still curious about the other fish in the sea…then I would throw my rod out, and fish some more.
Posted by: Anno

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/08/07 10:06 AM

I don't believe there is any ONE person for any of us, but I do think there are quite a few wrong people for each of us.

I agree with Chick on the red flag theory. If you sense anything is wrong, it probably is wrong. Can you tolerate those red flags? Or are they attributes, like Hannelore's body smell, that you just could not live with for the rest of your life?

I trust my intuition. But, I had to learn to listen to what it was telling me.

Have fun with this! Don't rush, but enjoy.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/08/07 10:39 AM

You left out "single" women so I suppose you don't want my opinion, but I'd love to contribute to this post. Although I don't have a "special" someone in my life at the moment, I believe wholeheartedly in love, marriage, and having someone with which to share your life.

If this is a general questions,then I would ask myself, "is he my best friend?" If he is, green light. If not, yellow - caution. Daddy always said, "Marry someone YOU look up to, someone you admire more than yourself. You respect them and when you look at them, its like looking in a mirror."

There are no guarantees. People marry believing it is for life but the divorce rate is well over 50% of marriages nowadays. Without debating the "why's," I truly believe it is because communication lines are drawn and never crossed; each person believing they are "right" in a given situation, and they are nonforgiving.

I also believe that love is something that develops over time and should grow and grow, like an old oak tree. If the roots are well established - LOVE, RESPECT, ADMIRATION, KINDNESS, FORGIVENESS - then the tree/love will grow to be a mighty oak and nothing can bend or break it.

If this is not a general question and you are asking about your recent friendship, then only YOU can answer those questions but from what little you've shared, it sounds as if you're very compatible. I think you'll find that everyone here is tickled pink that you have someone so nice in your life.

I would add though, if you are having angst over moving it to the next level, then why move at all? Be comfortable where it is NOW, and let it grow naturally.

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/08/07 11:27 PM

OK, so here's the REAL scoup. LOL

Be kind to me here - I'm going to REALLY open up.

A friend of mine met my beau - she is intutive - she feels strongly that eventually I will get bored with him. (I hated to hear her say that!!!!!!!!)

She also feels that I've attached too quickly.

I am a person VERY open to input...perhaps TOO open to input....so now I'm shaken up a bit.

I'm starting to doubt myself and my feelings.

As Hanelore said, like her hubby of 30 plus years... this guy has MANY great qualities. So far, things have gone VERY well with us (we took our three kids away this wk. end and survived. this is NO small thing. lol) (two teens and an 8 yr old - all which can have horrible attitudes at any time). We had a misunderstanding a few weeks ago that we worked through beautifully!!!!!!!!!

I see him as being VERY like me - except a. he's a man, and b. he's an engineer (I said I would NEVER get involved with an engineer. lol) - so he thinks differently. When I've given him input on my needs/desires, he's listened and responded.

My only real concern with him is finacial. The one WISH I had was a finacially stable guy. He has a great job, works hard, but has an ex and family to support - and some ramifications from his divorce to work through.

I've already told him that in my next marriage relationship - there WILL be a prenup - and my money and bills will be mine, the man I marry will be the same - and we'll split household bills. Not romantic....but, you all know, been there, done that, got the short end of the stick.

He not only works a day job, but like me, is working a network marketing business. So, he has a vision to have more and do more in his life. He has also been through "Landmark training"....so he is inlightened.

So that's it in a nutshell. He loves God, prays with me, goes to church with me, treats me wonderfully, and SEEMS to be the guy I've prayed for (I know, over time - more will be revealed).

I just have had some doubt infused into my being - which is distressing me.

I don't know if I told you all or not, but I prayed in the begining - that God would bring "THE Man" into my life quickly. I don't want to have to go through a bunch of relationships to find my life partner. I believe at 41 I know what I'm looking for. And ladies, I believe that I have found it.

I believe that God created me to be a wife. I loved being married. I am making the most out of being single (and I AM content).....

Thanking you in advance for your input,

danita
Posted by: Melanie46

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 12:19 AM

Hi Danita,

Gosh, I would really like to encourage you not to put "too, too" much weight in your friend's remark that you might get bored with this man. It's good to get the input of people who love you and know you, but as you yourself said, at age 41 you know what you're looking for and you believe this man's "It." I encourage you to listen to your gut and try not to second-guess yourself.

Sometimes, I think we've put up with ill-behaved men in our lives for so long that when a really good, solid one comes along who treats us wonderfully--we (or our girlfriends, in this case) start getting some doubts.

We're not used to a nice prince because of all of the toads we've been kissing (and let's face it: there are a lot of them out there).

This guy sounds like a really nice guy, Danita. I'm impressed that he attends church with you. A little bit of "boring" can be a good thing. I mean, he's going to church with you, you guys went away for the weekend... Frankly, that doesn't sound horribly boring to me.

Just from "hearing" what you're saying in your e-mail, if anything it sounds like the financial end is a bit of a sticking point with you. You're wise to be aware of your own feelings about that upfront and address it with your guy--and work all of that out first before walking down any aisles.

Do you know how he feels about re-marriage? Is he up for that with the right woman? And what was his response to your feelings about a pre-nup and a his and hers approach to money and the bills? Does he agree with you on all of this?

And here's something that is always a good marker for me: What does "silence" feel like when you're together? Is it comfortable? Can the two of you simply be together without feeling like you need to stretch in order to make conversation? Can you enjoy being together, comfortably, and saying nothing at all?

Anyway, those are the thoughts of one 46-year-old woman who has been around the block, through the mill and you name it.

You're being very thoughtful about all of this, and I'm wishing the best for you.

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 12:50 AM

Melanie,

Thank you so much for your kind input.

I'm with you on the prince v.s. frog thing. I have had perfect peace about this relationship up until now.

I thought the same thing about a little "boring" being o.k...but really - he loves to do "adventurous" things - and EVERYTHING we've done toghether has had a real spirit of "fun". I never did new things with my ex becuz he was critical - with "M"...I'm up for anything (except sky diving). lol

He said prior to meeting me he was done with the whole "marriage" thing - but feels I am his soul mate. We have talked about getting married in the distant future.

He's ok with the pre-nup and the bill situation.

Him and I can just "be together" for hours. We can lay around and cuddle and just "be".....the time just flys. we also can sit on opposite ends of the couch and just talk for hours about a million things.

thanks again for the input and "measuring stick"...these are such new waters for me!

hugs,
danita
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 03:38 AM

Danita,
I'm wondering why you are considering your friend's remark at all. From the sound of things, your heart is telling you "this is the one," however, you're letting one remark made by someone on the outside of your heart, guide you. This doesn't sound like you at all. At least it doesn't from the Danita I read here in the forum.

Are you sure you're not letting this remark be your safety net? Could it possibly be that you're afraid this relationship might fail somewhere down the line and so you're using this remark subconsciously to help you NOT kick it up a notch?

So far you haven't given one reason why it wouldn't work (other than her remark) but tons of reasons why it would. How could someone else possibly know what is best for you?

After what you've been through, I can certainly understand your caution, for real! But girlfriend, why not just enjoy and be IN the moments now ... and let the rest develop naturally? What's the rush? I mean this in the most loving way! I think you know me well enough to know that.

And I pray that God will help you in moving past this preceived hurdle in your relationship with "M."

You deserve the best!
Posted by: orchid

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 04:32 AM

Quote:

My only real concern with him is finacial. The one WISH I had was a finacially stable guy. He has a great job, works hard, but has an ex and family to support - and some ramifications from his divorce to work through.

I've already told him that in my next marriage relationship - there WILL be a prenup - and my money and bills will be mine, the man I marry will be the same - and we'll split household bills. Not romantic....but, you all know, been there, done that, got the short end of the stick.

He not only works a day job, but like me, is working a network marketing business. So, he has a vision to have more and do more in his life. He has also been through "Landmark training"....so he is inlightened.

Danita, be patient with yourself. Super patient. Continue with your job and saving your finances under your name. See how things unfold with him.

Let him work out his own financial complications with his ex, child support. And if his own career will become more financially stable, he has dreams right now. He has to follow through ..not for you....but first, for himself (that he can stick to a goal long-term), and to meet his financial/legal obligations as divorced ex and father.

Just enjoy the relationship, his companionship and enjoy learning from each other. THere will be miles to go that the love will be naturally tested over time...

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 01:13 PM

Ladies,

thank you for all the wonderful input.

The main reason I asked for input was just to clafify that I'm on the right path...that I DON'T need to be dating 1001 guys. (at this point at least)

I have defintly relaxed into the "this is a wonderful journey" mode - enjoying each day - letting things unfold as they arrrive.

JJ, I was surprised with myself as well about letting the remark cause doubt in my mind - obviously I had room in my mind for doubt. I've settled it now.

Orchid, exactly about the financial piece. I plan on going into a relationship with a job, savings, etc......as I said earlier, I will never finacially be dependant on a man again.

The wishing to have a man who is fiancially secure is an issue of not getting on the same rollar coaster that I was on with my ex - if you know what I mean.

I'm enjoying the journey, watching the signs along the way.

Thanks again for the input - I treasure it!

hugs,
danita
Posted by: katebcca

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 04:28 PM

My comments. First, how long have you been dating? If under a year then it is way to soon to be thinking about the possibility of getting married. I would just enjoy the relationship and let it grow slowly. You have time.
I have some friends that have rushed into living with the guy thinking he is the one. They did not like being on their own and wanted their relationship to grow too quickly because they were over 40. One of them got divorced after three years of marriage. They didn't know each other well enough.

As for your friend. It has been my experience that friends and family often have an agenda. Sometimes they just want to protect you, other times it has to do with them. Be careful who you listen too. We on the forum don't have an agenda because we don't really know you in the same way. Does that make sense?

I learned something very important over the ten years I was on my own. I read it in a book and I think it's a great exercise for anyone who has been divorced or ended a relationship. Before you get involved in a new relationship right down all the things that you did to contribute to the break down of your marriage/relationship. Even though my ex cheated on me, there were other reasons for the breakup that happened long before the affair. I often blamed the affair and him for everything but years later realized that it takes two. How did I handle stress, finances etc. How did I handle conflict? What was my part in our disagreements. I had a big list at the end of this process and realized that I needed to work on myself more so I didn't bring these issues into a new relationship. I wanted my next relationship to be a healthy one.

Your friend sounds wonderful, I would enjoy the time you spend with him but don't think too much about the future until you really know him and have seen him in many situations, good a bad. Don't rush, it's too important to make sure that he IS the one for you.
I also agree with the best friend theory, it's a must.
Kate
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 09:29 PM

Okay, don't laugh, but I Googled:

Is he the one quiz.

You won't believe all the quizzes there are for this topic. I'm sure some of them are more for teens, but it might be fun to do a few of them. They may make you think of some situations you haven't thought about yet. Just a thought...

Danita, me biggest concern for you is knowing a bit about his history from another person. This is so sad, but in this day and age, how can you be sure people are indeed who they say they are. I hope you don't mind that I shared this...
Posted by: Casey

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 10:01 PM

Danita, I, too am curious as to how long you have been together. And if he has finished the divorce process.

It took me a while to determine that my honey was right for me. After three breakups, it took a while. I also didn't trust my own intuition and took him to the toughest couple I knew and asked their opinion. I also asked him for references. And for an AIDs test! He passed all with flying colors. It was only then that I considered the possibility that he might be the one -- and that was after six months of seeing each other. It was close to another year before we moved in together.

He had been alone for about nine years (although he had women in his life) and I'd been alone for three. It was good practice.

I agree with the ladies who said -- take your time.

How are you without him around? Do you still stand on your own two feet or are you "pining"? A great book that I recommend to my clients is "Are You the One for Me?" by Barbara D'Angeles. It has great questions and covers all the pitfalls we women like to create for ourselves!

Good luck and I hope it works out for the best!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/09/07 10:54 PM

Well ladies guess who is getting to meet Danitas M?

Thats right the old "male worthiness indicator," namely ME!

I know Danita well enough to trust HER judgement, and all of the advice you've given her, she will take to heart.

My only concern with M, would be his divorce. I would want to know how long his marriage lasted, and listen 'carefully' to him describe the relationship. How does he describe his ex and their life together. Does he take some blame for the break up, all the blame, or is he one of those self suffering males that feel he's been abused by a wicked woman. Also most important to me is how does he describe his relationship with his mother? Other than that, its a toss up, as is any new relaionship.

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/10/07 06:12 PM

Danita, everyone is sharing such great advice. The boomer love is pouring through the screen. Can you feel it? Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/10/07 08:36 PM

Danita, time will prove what he is and isn't. That's why whirlwind romances are a warning sign. You have to really listen to everything he says. Don't look at him through rose colored glasses but as he really is. People will reveal their true essence if you just listen.

I knew when I had dated my now husband--after three months that he was the one. No doubt in my mind but I still waited for two years before marrying him, just to be sure. And, he didn't try to push me into a rushed marriage either. We had both been burned before.

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/11/07 03:54 PM

Ladies,

again - tks for all the input - I really appreciate it!

We ARE taking our time -- he's been divorced for 1.5 years - we've been dating for 1.5 months (online for about 3 wks before that). We plan on dating at LEAST another year before we get "serious".....though we are "seriously having fun" for the time being.

I have met and hung out with a couple he is very close with - she and I had some time alone - and she talked about his ex-marriage (they had been family friends). I listened.

I AM watching him and listening. I was burned too much the first time around.

Again, my concern in starting this post - was really how to know when to date "the one guy" vs dating many guys.

I've got my answers.

Dotsie I'll look at the quiz's, casey I will look for that book.

Both of us are really enjoying each other, but know that we want to make sure that the relationship is right!

hugs,
danita
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/11/07 09:27 PM

great youve wondered through the advice and it clarified things for you. i enjoyed this thread but had no input into it just enjoyefd the reading of the responcies...and i agree with most all of it, especillie red flags and knowing how people are with the responcies they give about ex's and splitt ups etc lol, now thats fun in a perverse way...

hope your still loving everie minuete of it and for some reason i am sure you are..
best of luck
Posted by: Dianne

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/11/07 10:03 PM

Danita, if you know he's the one (you will for sure) you won't have a desire to date others.
Posted by: katebcca

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/12/07 07:45 PM

I don't agree with the statement "You'll know he's the one if you don't want to date others". Some of us tend to put all of our eggs in one basket. We meet a guy (and I know it's tough out there) and we think this guy is the one. We put our all into it, ignoring all others. Been there, done that. My experience Dianne so don't take this the wrong way please:-)

Danita, I think 1.5 months of dating is no where near enough time to know if he's the one.
You will have some idea for sure and I'm not suggesting you look at him with a critical eye or anything. I would just enjoy my time with him but keep my eyes way open. If he's the one it won't hurt to be careful. You owe it to yourself.

Question: Why is it that guys play the field to find just the right woman. They will date others, compare them to find just the right one for them, and then decide. But women in general fall for the first guy that seems decent. don't date others and then find out down the road after months of dating that they don't really have anything in common, or he is not the right one for some other reason. Just some food for thought.
Am I being cynical....I hope not. I've just seen it happen too many times.

I wish you the best Danita and hope he is the one. Time will tell.

Kate
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/13/07 12:37 PM

Danita, I'm writing as a woman who married someone I knew for 1 year and discovered he was not the right one after it was too late.

My new criteria is this: "will my life be better with this man?" That means the right man will be financially responsible, (doesn't have to be wealthy), not have an ex-monster, not have children with problems, he will have a job, he won't be in a custody battle or have legal problems and last but certainly not least, he will be a Godly man. He won't be jealouos and if he EVER verbally or physically abusive - bye-bye. He will not put any restraints on things I like to do and be willing to participate in my family-friend-church circle of people. He will also have to be comfortable in professional situations.

I think it will take a year at least for you to know all these things. You need to experience all the holidays together.

That being said, keep these things we've all contributed in the back of your mind and simply enjoy the relationship. I also hope he is the one - dating is horrible.

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/13/07 10:05 PM

Daisy, I like your criteria. I think the one for you should make you feel good about yourself and help you be the best person you are capable of being, and in turn, you should allow him to do the same.
Posted by: orchid

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/14/07 04:53 AM

Quote:

Daisy, I like your criteria. I think the one for you should make you feel good about yourself and help you be the best person you are capable of being, and in turn, you should allow him to do the same.

Another good indicator is a life partner who knows you've got to make the best of yourself which might mean being temporarily apart for a short while for a few hrs., a few days, a few months, while you can focus on developing a skill/new perspective of world.

And life partner comes back over and over. Setting a person free to become the best of themselves in spirit of love, means person will come back in good faith to continue together in person and vice versa.
Posted by: Anno

Re: He's the one...how did you know? - 04/14/07 12:19 PM

Danita, have you set your own criteria? What do you want in a man, not what does someone else think you should want?

Kate, I was a woman who played the field looking for the right man, and the man I found (found me?) was a guy who did not play the field.