"Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast

Posted by: Di

"Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 02/25/08 07:49 PM

...way back in the 60's. The hosts were Miss Mary Ellen and Miss Eppie. I was their biggest fan! I'd rush home from kindergarten and stay glued to the black and white rabbit-eared TV for that 1/2 hour.

Now here's the clincher...I just found Miss Mary Ellen and called her! This show has been on my mind for, obviously, years! Many times I'd ask an adult if they remembered the show, but not knowing it was aired only from Florida to Maine.

What a joy to talk with "Miss Mary Ellen", who just turned 80. She said that in all these years I was only the second "kid" to remember the show. LOL!!

At the end of each episode, Miss Mary Ellen and Miss Eppie had a "mystery box" to open. All sorts of goodies were inside!

With DH's 2-yr-old granddaughter, Grace, coming in a few weeks, I want to start a similar tradition...having some kind of "box" that we can explore with and have fun!

Anyone else remember it??
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 02/25/08 08:17 PM

I've really wracked my brain on this one, Di. I don't seem to remember it at all! Of course, that doesn't mean that I didn't see it but it just doesn't seem I did. How cool, though, to call this lady and talk with her. I bet you made her whole week! By the way, is that title correct or a typo?

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/25/08 10:45 PM

Oops......."FUN at one". I corrected it...thanks!

Yes, she was very excited and she said I 'Made her day".

For me it is very important to contact those people who truly impacted my life. I've been known to call my 7th grade teacher, past classmates, former co-workers etc. I like to catch people off guard, then thank them for how they influenced my life.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/25/08 11:46 PM

I don't recall it.

How cool that you called her. How did you locate her?

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 12:36 AM

Wellll, I'm REALLY REALLY good at finding 'stuff' on the web. I did a very intricate search and sought her out.

Here is a link to the article I found...

http://www.mycommunity.com/town/Cliffsid...mp;sub_id=18789

Then I did more searches and found her email...then wrote!
Posted by: gims

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 11:45 AM

This is the first I've ever heard of the show. It must not have aired in Texas.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: "Funt At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 08:48 PM

Never heard of it either...

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 09:00 PM

I must research this now because I absolutely can't remember such a thing.

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 09:04 PM

Hmmm...I can't even find anything online, Di! I googled "Fun at One" and then "Miss Mary Ellen" and "Miss Eppie."

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coas - 02/26/08 09:49 PM

LJ...I did put a link up in my last post. Here it is again...

http://www.mycommunity.com/town/Cliffsid...mp;sub_id=18789
Posted by: SuzyCue

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 05/23/11 03:27 AM

OMG I have been looking online for the past month or so for something on "Fun at One". I also remember it, I'm from Long Island in NY and it was on ch. 13. I can still picture one of the ladies, with short dark hair and bangs. Like you, I would come home from kindergarten and plant myself in front of the good ole b and w tv and watch them make puppets out of brown paper bags or something similar but that one always remains in my memory. I was so intrigued by how they made things with paper plates, paper bags and such. I'm so thankful to you for posting this even if it was 3 years ago. I read somewhere in my internet research that Ms. Mary Ellen Rohon was in local opera. That's great you spoke to her!

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 05/23/11 02:35 PM

Oh wow, SuzyCue! Another FAO fan! yes, Miss Mary Ellen sounded JUST the same! That woman you remember was Miss Eppie. She was still alive three years ago, too. Not sure if Mary Ellen still is, but I am so thankful I told her how the show changed my life.
Posted by: lindywoman

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 06/06/11 10:58 AM

finally, finally....I have found some folks who remember FAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am speechless!

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 06/06/11 01:21 PM

Yes indeed! And this is your first post, wow! Guess you were specifically searching for any FAO fans!
Posted by: lindywoman

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 06/07/11 10:40 PM

I have been searching for FAO folks for years! as a NYC boomer born in 1954 it was an absolute fave of mine....can't wait to see what else I find on this site
Posted by: lindasusan

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 08/28/11 11:18 PM

Di, I thought it was just me who just couldn't wait to see what was in that Mystery Box. I used to love that show. I love the memories.

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 08/29/11 07:32 PM

Since then, I always loved surprise things. And I yearned to do that for kids/grand kids. But never had either....so, oh well.
Posted by: camille

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 11/27/11 06:05 AM

hi. i have been periodically searching for any information on this show...finally, i found this! i'm so happy, i just joined!
fun at one was one of my most favorite shows as a little girl! i would 'play' at being miss eppie. i made my own picture board where i would stick the pictures up and take them down. does anyone remember that?
anyway, i loved this show and absolutely remember it! i grew up in nyc but now live in bucks county and write for a newspaper.
glad to finally have someone to share this memory with.

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 11/27/11 01:29 PM

Gosh, I've had a couple of private messages about this show as well. I'm so excited that more are remembering it!

The surprise "shoebox" at the end of the show is what I remember most. not sure if miss mary ellen is still around, but i'll look into it.
Posted by: jabber

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 11/28/11 03:57 PM

Welcome Camille. It must be fun to write for a newspaper. I don't remember the show you and Di mention; but glad you found
common ground.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 12/03/11 05:06 AM

Being from the Midwest, I've never heard of "Fun at One." But Miss Mary Ellen just found the forum, and sent me an email.

Here's what she said:

Quote:
I just happened upon your site and saw some members asked about Fun at One. I was surprised and delighted to see your members recalling Fun at One which was an early children's TV program. I am the Miss Mary Ellen they asked about. I am very much alive and singing with the Verismo Opera company in Bergen County, New Jersey. My partner, Miss Eppie, lives not too far from me and we still see each other frequently as we are close friends.

I would be happy to join NABBW and will check how to go about it when I have some time. Mary Ellen Rohon
Posted by: jabber

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 12/03/11 02:36 PM

Neat!

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 12/04/11 11:36 PM

Oh, oh oh! this is wonderful! I spoke with Mary Ellen a few years back and I'm so glad she's around! What a lovely lady.

She told me a story about a man (then a child) who brought her a boxful of Christmas bells he and his children made each year which he learned how to make from the Fun At One show!

How exciting is this!!!!

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 12/04/11 11:41 PM

Here is a link and pic of Miss Mary Ellen. She looks the same...and, when I spoke w/her, even sounded the same!

http://www.ncfl.net/press-releases/2007/2007-04-25.html
Posted by: Karimeadi

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 05/03/12 07:33 PM

I also am from NJ and remember Fun at One. Do you remember singing "Hi Mike, Hi Mike, I like to sing Hi Mike" as a microphone came down from the ceiling?

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 01/05/16 11:34 PM

Yes, I do remember the "Hi Mike" song......."Hi Mike, Hi Mike, I like to say, Hi Mike. hi Mike, Hi Mike, I like you very much"!
Posted by: Eric

Re: "Fun At One"..children's TV show on east coast - 03/02/21 02:32 AM

I remember the show well. I was a young boy at the time, "Fun At One" was my first favorite tv show and I eagerly awaited it each day. My Mom get me started watching it. When I started first grade, that was probably when I last saw it. Your post was from thirteen years ago,
but if you still know how I may contact Miss Mary Ellen or Miss Eppie, it would really be great.