Getting here

Posted by: smilinize

Getting here - 05/09/05 11:06 PM

I wondered how everyone finds time to get to this site as often as we all do.

I keep a laptop on the couch in my den so every time I sit down, I have to pick up the laptop. I keep it connected to the interenet so every time I pick it up I check my email then this site. (I admit it, I'm addicted) If I'm writing something, I keep the site open and check in occasionally just to keep me typing.

I have a better plan, but it rarely works. I try to bribe myself to exercise by promising not to check the boomer site or my email except on my other laptop which is on a stand over my recumbent bike. It's such a great idea, but it doesn't always work. I would much rather recline on the couch and snuggle up with the laptop there.

How does everyone else get here?
smile
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Getting here - 05/10/05 04:30 AM

Coming here is the highlight of my day...our computer is in the basement, and it's usually freezing down here, but I can scarcely wait to get down here and sign into BWS in the morning and see what everyone's up to. The difference between me now and me two months ago is astounding...I can't wait to get out of bed these days. I force myself to eat breakfast before coming here because once I'm here, I don't want to leave.

It's harder when hubby's not working, because he gets up at 5am, eats, then plays Civilization for hours. I used to just find other things to do while he played, but now I kick him off to have my turn.

I also use "time on BWS" as a reward for doing other stuff that's not as enjoyable...do 20 minutes of housework or gardening, get an hour of BWS...bake hubby's favourite cookies, get an hour of BWS, roll out of bed in the morning (not always easy for some of us), get 2 hours of BWS...you get the picture...I love being here.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Getting here - 05/10/05 12:00 PM

usually after 11pm, IF I don't need to finish up more stuff for my business. I set up a daily quota for chores and jewelry alike; if I meet my quota, I can spend time online (like in here); if I don't meet my quota, I'm not here.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Getting here - 05/11/05 03:40 AM

Hi Meredith, I was in a local library today and I thought of you. There was a display case with a local jewelry maker's work featured: lots of beaded necklace, earrings, etc. And a pic and bio of the woman. I thought that was a good combination for you: Beads and Books! Love and Light, Lynn
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Getting here - 05/11/05 10:46 PM

I'm logged on 24/7 w/my laptop and am constantly checking in on how things are going here at BWS. When my husband and I go away to the keys for a long weekend, I can't wait to get back and check on BWS and see what's been happening while I was gone.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting here - 05/12/05 12:11 AM

We were talking about giong to Bald Head Island. The only transportation on the island is golf carts. When I heard that my first question was...do they have internet access?

How do ya'll like having laptops? My hands seem too big for them.

Re: Getting here - 05/12/05 12:24 AM

Dotsie, I love my lap top, and couldn't live without it. We are Mac users, and I have an iBookG4. It is an update from the old clam shell style of Mac, which was the midwife for first book. I hope there is not a tracking system from BWS that would reveal how many times a day I check on the site; it would be embarrassing. I'm here often, but I don't always post. LLL
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: Getting here - 05/12/05 05:35 PM

Everyone of my family, friends and business partners know to reach me via e-mail first. I have both the desk top on in my home office and then a laptop on in my kitchen. I love our wireless network and have fun transporting my laptop to the backyard to sit and watch kiddos playing/hanging out. So, I check the site a few times a day as part of my routine, when I check e-mail.

Having a computer attached to me seems to be hardwired into my DNA.

Re: Getting here - 05/16/05 11:20 PM

Thanks Lynn! Of course, I thinks it's an awesome combination!

Of for those of you who are taking notes... I'm in here IN THE MORNING today! I'm taking a day off from jewelry-making because today's "chore" is cleaning up my entire display from yesterday's festival on sawdust/ wood chips, and I'm procrastinating... probably 6-7 hours work to clean it all, and I'm still sneezing from yesterday! I'll break it into 2 days; otherwise, my allergies will kill me [Frown]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Getting here - 05/17/05 08:36 AM

Glad your back and posting whe time allows. I hope you sell a zillion bucks this season... [Big Grin]

Re: Getting here - 05/17/05 08:56 AM

Thanks Chatty! So far, these past 3 weekends have been very good! Great weather, great shows, great sales [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What never ceases to amaze me is the difference in product sales from one neighborhood/ festival to the next. In other words, I sold totally different styles this past weekend as I did last weekend. It's good I have a variety!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Getting here - 05/18/05 03:02 AM

Well my friend VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE...

Re: Getting here - 05/18/05 03:47 AM

...and I underestimated the "6-7 hours" thingie. Cleaned for 4 straight hours today and barely made a dent. I'm eating lunch now and entertaining myself here so I don't get a panic attack from all the cleaning. I think I hit today's limits, and it hit back. OUCH!

[ May 17, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting here - 05/18/05 10:05 PM

Meredith, I was at out town festival a couple weekends ago (another one) and I thought of you. One artisan had the shiniest silver jewelry. She must have spent her days polishing. This thought ran through my mind...

I bet Meredith's are equally as shiny. Probably glistening.

I carry my boomer friends everywhere I go. I love it!

Re: Getting here - 05/19/05 06:02 AM

Hi Meredith, I'm supposed to be MIA to focus on writing, but I can't stay away. Have you thought of wearing a mask to protect you from allergies? And Nasalcrom is a good product for preventing allergy attacks. LLL

Re: Getting here - 05/19/05 09:50 AM

wearing a mask is not an option at a dusty crafts fair! I suppose I could around the house, but 4 hours straight of it would probably annoy the crap out of me. I don't know anything about Nasalcrom. I try not to take meds if I'm OK without them.

After 4 hours non-stop cleaning each day, I'm sneezing a lot (equal parts dust and Fantastic) and also wiped-out tired. After 4 hours straight, I'm also skating real close to the depression line, so the allergies become the least of it. Doing this in smaller blocks of time won't work, because everything needs to be clean before this coming weekend's craft fair, and that's how much time it takes. If I stop sooner, I'll never get it done, because when I quit for the day, I quit for the day.

...total now up to 9 hours of cleaning, maybe (???) 4-5 more to go. If I EVER get rich, the first item on my "want" list is a maid.

And creatively, I'm MIA until this is finished. The "must-clean" is the raging bull in my brain. I can't ignore it, I can't work around it, and I'm pretty close to dysfunctional until it's dealt with properly.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Getting here - 05/19/05 05:04 PM

Gee Meredith, I'm tired just reading about all your cleaning.
As to your allergies, my husband was taking allergan constantly for sinusitis and allergies. When I discovered that sinusitis is one of the side effects. (Almost all pharmaceuticals have side effects that include the symptoms that they treat)
Anyway, I went to the health food store and got some N.A.C. (N-Acetyl Cystene) which liquifies sinus secretions and has completely eliminated the need for allergy meds along with his allergies and sinusitus.
Maybe you could try that.

Also, if you get a cold, try some olive leaf extract nasal spray. It's all natural and will open your sinuses without the side effects. It is also good for chronic sinus problems.

I'll say a prayer that you can just revel in the sun, get rich, and not get depressed.
smile

Re: Getting here - 05/20/05 06:34 AM

13 hours [Eek!] [Eek!] and I QUIT!! It also helps that I'm finished with all the jewelry and display. Vaccuuming my car still to go, but that's 30 minutes or so. Maybe manana.

The allergies are specific to certain triggers, not 24/7. Two hours of gardening will usually get my throat tight and eyes puffed. Lots of dust or smoke does the same. Ditto sprays with scent, which close my breathing pretty fast. I just try to be aware of my limits and avoid as much as possible. Except for sprays and close-range smoke, I always have time to note the progression of symptoms, and quit/leave before it gets bad.

My immobilization falls somewhere between depression and a panic attack -- I'm not sure what the correct label is. It happens mostly if I have too much cleaning or paperwork; I just get too overwhelmed and become dysfunctional until it passes, usually an hour or two, although up to a day in bad cases. And cleaning and paperwork are the only things that bring it on. Everything else seems doable full steam ahead.