Chew on this!

Posted by: jawjaw

Chew on this! - 09/24/09 03:50 PM

Would love to have your comments on a new blog of mine, Chew on this! It's not for money, it's not for profit, it's just for fun.

I just happen to like two things...writing and food.

I'm sharing my latest meals, tips, and ideas for healthy eating. I just started this yesterday, so there are only three or four post. Given time though, I hope to have at least three a week.

I hope you enjoy it!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Chew on this! - 09/24/09 05:47 PM

JJ, that is a beautiful blog! Great combination of text and pics! Very enticing! Have fun.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/24/09 05:53 PM

Why thank you ma'am...I'm thinking of moving it though in the next few weeks. What fun!

And thank all of you for dropping by and leaving comments. Are you the best or whattt?

Re: Chew on this! - 09/25/09 03:44 PM

What surprises me the most about this blog is the fact that no one commented on the mushroom bake. Am I the only one who could eat them out of the ground? I love these things! I've baked them twice using this simple recipes and I can tell you now, they are LAIR-A-PIN!

Moving on... how does your salad dressing weigh in?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 01:15 AM

I had to join to post, posted a comment about breakfast but it is not there. I am befuddled!Great looking blog site however, fun!

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 01:23 AM

AHA!!!! I found the comment under Chew On This by Trixie about loving salads and how to eat one for breakfast...
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 08:14 AM

I spent time at summer school beside a Danish lady who when we went to choose our meals choose salad as a starter at lunch/ dinner rather than a sweet..she said she does that every day.I feel she knew a good thing...cultural differences in food is so interesting.Any local to you themes Boomers..
In Scotland there is the habit of afternoon tea with fancy baking..not good really..OK now and again..
Posted by: Lola

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 12:00 PM

I'll join you in the mushroom love-in, JJ. Love them. Shitake most of all.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 01:13 PM

And how do you fix them, Lola? I would love to know. I've started buying more and more of them because I love them baked with cheese (all fat-free) as a side dish and just hate running out. I don't live near a grocery store, so it's a trip to town, literally, to restock.

Today I'm blogging about a fat-free treat for the kids, or you...I make them for the grandkids but if they don't come buy, guess who eats them? Yeppers. I usually call my daughter-in-law and say don't come by here, I have the jungle rot, scurry, and berry-berry...she says, "You've made the JELL-O things, haven't you?"

Busted...

Alexander Graham Shells

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 02:40 PM

Thanks for the jello recipe. I'd surely make them.

Here's one. After you've evicted the tenant dwarf and his gang from the mushrooms:

6 cloves finely chopped garlic
(more if you don't like your neighbours grin)

olive oil
sherry
lemon juice
paprika

Saute the mushrooms in olive oil until it softens then add the garlic, lemon juice, sherry and paprika and cook until the garlic has softened as well. Season to taste and serve on buttered (or cream cheese) baguette with a garnish of chopped parsley or dill.

I also cook my portobellos like you do but would occasionally add spinach on top of the cheese. (no PAM here though so I clog my arteries with butter). And, a slice of tomayto-tomahto.

Mushroom omelette with feta and spinach is also yummy.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/26/09 02:56 PM

Filing this under YUMMY FOR THE TUMMY. I never thought of putting spinach on top of the baked mushrooms...hm...I like that. I'm addicted to Feta cheese and it is so expensive here. So I try to curb my desire for it when I waltz by in the grocery store. I have to give myself one of those "YOU DON'T NEED IT, STEP AWAYYYYY FROM THE FETA, KIDDO...YOU CAN DO IT...COME ON...ONE STEP AT A TIME."

Yes, I'm that addicted. Actually, it's to ANY cheese. I just found out this week that there is a factory right here in my little old town that does goat cheese. How bout that? They invited me to visit them. I said, "Say no more, I'm on my way!" So that's on the agenda for me.

Thanks for the recipe!

Oh and by the way, anyone wishing to comment on the blog can do so anon...you do NOT have to register.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/27/09 01:27 AM

What did you think of the omelet recipe I posted on your blog to help get more veggies, even for breakfast?

Re: Chew on this! - 09/27/09 04:51 AM

It was so cool. I've already adopted it except for the carrots. I'm carroted out...I'm so tired of them. But everything else was a go. I am watching portion size, so what I did with your suggestion was used small amounts of all of it and everything was rolled up in a tortilla wrap...a low-carb/calorie one, of course!

Thank you Chatty...I so appreciate the support!

Re: Chew on this! - 09/27/09 02:24 PM

Also Chats, you may want to read today's post, in particular, because I used your recipe, and then spread this yummy stuff all over it. Would you believe 15 calories, 0 fat, and only 4 carbs in 2 tablespoons! If it's eatable, I put this stuff on it. Just found out they have a Yellow Peach one too. OH MY LORD...I'm in heaven!

http://www.culinate.com/user/Trixie/blog/chew_on_this7
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Chew on this! - 09/27/09 04:57 PM

JJ, I just left a comment about your Red Peach Salsa...it sounds so scrumptious...I love anything with peaches in it.

Chatty, we do the same thing with our eggs. I have an egg every morning (long story why) and always throw in "leftover" pieces of veggies in...red onions, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, and celery flowers are my favourites, with cheese melted on top (for the calcium). Yummmy. It IS like having a salad for breakfast.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 01:23 AM

Thats great Sharon!

I bought a bag of broccoli, red cabbage and carrots already mixed and shredded. Now if you want to add anything you can. This is so good as a salad alone or on top of plain or shredded lettuce. I add radishes and celery for a real crunchy treat, oh and black olives, can't be without my black olives. This is something that you can put in a big bowl without salad dressing and nibble on at leisure at night while watching TV or reading, etc.

What a delightful, easy way to incorporate veggies with NO calories into your diet and it keeps you satisfied. I have lost nearly 14 pounds eating this, instead of something fattening.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 03:41 PM

Today is Snappy Cheese Soup for you people experiencing a cold snap...or a cold...or just needing a cheese fix.

That would be ME! I believe if you cut me I would bleed cheese.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 06:36 PM

JJ, I found Rotel in the UK!

http://www.skyco.uk.com/products.asp?cat=7

Ordered a few and I am one happy bunny.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 06:48 PM

Wuhoooo! Now if we can just get Dotsie some of the stuff we'll all be happy. I can't believe they don't have it in her grocery store. I thought it was a staple in everyone's home. bawwwwhahaha..ahem.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 07:59 PM

Okaaaaaaaaay...I'm across the pond and there's none in Towson? I'll join you, JJ...bawwwwhahaha...and ahem, too!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 08:28 PM

I've never heard of or bought them before, but since going to the site, I believe I've seen those cans in Wally World.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 08:32 PM

And, I had to google Wally World. LOL! I've been away far tooooo long.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 10:42 PM

Lola, we need to have a BWS Word Reorientation for you people who have been on sabbatical from the forums. You DO remember that I'm a Queen, right? No, I didn't say royal pain, I said QUEEN!

Do you remember what "larapin" means?

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 11:06 PM

JJ, I make my own form of (Rotel type brand) diced tomatoes with green chiles. It is quite good if I must say so myself.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 11:08 PM

Not far toooooo long from the forums...I meant far tooooo long from the States. LOL! The only "larapin" I'd know now is Liverpudlian...which translates to "lorra pins". Or, "lots of pins". LOL! Be back shortly, must google.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/28/09 11:12 PM

Got it! Delicious. grin

Re: Chew on this! - 09/29/09 02:41 PM

Pathology Pie anyone?
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Chew on this! - 09/29/09 04:02 PM

grin
Quote:
Two---After one bite you wouldn’t give a rip if it had arsenic in it, you’d eat it.

You know what's really good...laughing has no calories, Otherwise, I know I would have gained a pound reading this.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/29/09 05:52 PM

Thanks gal...I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how Lola is going to use Miracle Whip with that recipe.

Ohhhh Loooooolaaaaaa....do tell!

Re: Chew on this! - 09/29/09 06:54 PM

LOL! There goes a simple manifestation of repressed thoughts with whips...a.k.a. a naughty Freudian slip.

You're supposed to impart culinary wisdom, JJ. Now I'd be giggling through making the pie with my Brit whipped cream...I'll be clotted.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/29/09 08:09 PM

Oh Lordy....who would have ever thunk a blog could be so much fun?

Dotsie and Dee have started a wave on one of my Facebook posts...

You gurls....you are TOO MUCH FUN!

Love it!

Anybody seen MEREDITH? I'm missing her.

Re: Chew on this! - 09/30/09 12:45 AM

JJ, I have gotten several gifts from her on my Facebook but she's probably gotten even more busy what with Christmas sneaking up on us so fast. YIKES, only 86 days to go and how much do you want to bet it will seem sooner when it arrives.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Chew on this! - 09/30/09 08:40 AM

Chatty, you got that right! My first big seasonal craft fair was 2nd weekend in September down by the beach. Good weather and sales smile

I haven't been able to go back to Hollywood Market due to the heat, but it's allegedly cooling down soon. Smaller festival in a local park this weekend.

I spent most of the summer on website organization & infrastructure and am very glad that's over. A local gallery which sells my work wants 50-60 new pieces by next Wednesday, so that's my current big project.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Chew on this! - 09/30/09 02:15 PM

I have been enjoying your blog, JJ. And this thread? Well I am smiling through my fever right now.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/01/09 12:12 PM

You say Po-tay-to, I say Po-tah-ta. Cook this and you will only be saying, "larapin!"

Onion Roasted Potatoes
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Chew on this! - 10/01/09 07:44 PM

These look so yummy, JJ. I'm thinking the recipe would work well with sweet potatoes too.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/01/09 09:45 PM

You know...I wondered about that. If you try it, would you let me know? And the comment you left had me rolling in the floor! Poor hubby! Bet it will be a while till he lives that one down!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/02/09 04:28 PM

Today we have Shoepeg Corn Salad which I made at 5:30ish this morning and then promptly dropped the whole thing on the kitchen floor on the way to the frig...BEFORE coffee.

Later today I thought I might try running over my foot with the car or maybe giving myself liposuction with the vacuum cleaner.

I mean, why not. I'm on a roll.

Sigh...

Re: Chew on this! - 10/02/09 09:20 PM

What was going on yesterday? I too had the dropsies...First my tea cup which exploded into tiny pieces, then later on a watermelon which cracked, but was salvageable and last night before bed I stubbed my toe...

Re: Chew on this! - 10/07/09 02:25 PM

Mooooooving right along. It's almost time for...

Trick or Treat
Smell my feet
Gimme something
Good to eat

So I decided to give readers Chatty's Popcorn Cake/Balls, which can incidently, be made into Popcorn Balls! Just in time for those rugrats that knock on your door. Boo!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/07/09 11:45 PM

Oh my, I am honored that you are using my popcorn balls recipe. The children love these, me too unfortunately, LOL! Thanks...

Re: Chew on this! - 10/09/09 03:32 PM

Just in time for the holiday season, gals!

Cheesy Pecan Grapes

You might want to make several batches since you will, I guarantee it, eat the first batch all by your chubby self. Yes, that is the voice of experience talking...

Re: Chew on this! - 10/10/09 01:51 AM

Another of my famous recipes. JJ, I may need to come cook for you for promoting my recipes so much. Thank You!!!

This is so funny but JJ is right, Janis one of our use to be posters, made these and ended up eating most of them before her company came and got hooked. She made them alot...They are easy to make and easier to eat.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/10/09 02:59 AM

Sorry Chatty, but this recipe came from my mother. You posted it before, but I already had it from mom. But you do have a lot of good ones!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/12/09 12:03 AM

Oh, it must have been Janis who was so hooked on it and not you, sorry!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/14/09 10:28 PM

Since it's FALL....and that means TAILGATING....here's one of my fav's...if you like black-eye peas, and you like dips, you'll LOVE this one!

Tailgate Texas Caviar

nummy, nummy!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/14/09 11:35 PM

Not a tailgater myself but wanted to see the recipe and it wouldn't open for me.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/15/09 01:47 AM

Strangeeee...it opens right up for me. Go figure!

You can go to

http://www.culinate.com/user/Trixie/blog/tailgate_texas_caviar

and read it.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/16/09 02:58 PM

The flavor of today is Broccoli Cornbread. Yep, you read that right.

Need I say it is larapin?
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Chew on this! - 10/16/09 05:49 PM

Yum! This sounds really good, JJ. I'm going to have to make this.

Which do I use... you wrote that we can use 1 stick of melted butter Butter or oreo??! laugh grin

Re: Chew on this! - 10/16/09 08:38 PM

Added a comment to this wonderful recipe. Made me hungry so I went and ate something, bad, bad me!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Chew on this! - 10/20/09 04:46 PM

I guess I'm the only one that found the humor in JJ's recipe, in which she typed oreo instead of oleo. Oh, well! I'm easily amused.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/20/09 04:57 PM

Ooooooooooooooooooooo..........how funny! Yes, and you are the only one who found the boo boo. Can I say that it was on purpose? No? Well drats! Going back to change it now. Girl....too funny! We know what I had on my mind, don't we?
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Chew on this! - 10/20/09 07:40 PM

Well, this is the best thing I missed last month. Surgery can do that to you. I'm recovered and hungry and in the right place. Yippee!

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 12:20 AM

Okey doakie...here it is...Mom's Chicken Stew recipe that others have hounded me for. It's simple, quick, (sort of) and idiot proof. I should know. Did I mention that it's larapin?

Mom's Chicken Stew

No offense, chick

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 01:18 AM

OMG!!! That poor sad looking chicken. I so prefer to not see my food alive, before eating it. I feel too guilty! Super recipe however, left you a comment as such.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 09:49 PM

Is larapin a southern term? Neither Ross nor I have ever heard it.

The stew looks great. Don't you just love making your mother's recipes? There's something sentimental about it, but my mom's gone so maybe that's why.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 10:02 PM

I haven't heard that word in years! My family from Kentucky used it.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 10:08 PM

Okay, so maybe it is a southern thing.

Re: Chew on this! - 10/25/09 11:03 PM

That would be....a Southern thang...not thing. Lordy, am I ever gonna teach that youngin' to talk Southern?

Lawsy me...

Re: Chew on this! - 10/31/09 07:14 PM

Today I went calorie hunting and found this old tried and true recipe that I promise you, ..............is downright sinful. Just play like you scraped all the calories out before you made it. Whatever works.

BLACKBERRY WINE CAKE

Re: Chew on this! - 11/01/09 01:12 AM

Just when you think its safe to go back into recipe land, BLAM, JJ strikes again. MY lord woman what a scrumptious recipe. I am definitely going to shhhhhh!
Click to reveal..
steal
this one...tee hee...!

Re: Chew on this! - 12/08/09 11:21 PM

It seemed fittin' that I should give the world my fav Oreo dessert recipe....and let me tell you, not only is it quick and dirty, it's larapin...I called it

Oreo Delight - or dessert to put your face in

Enjoy peeps....

Re: Chew on this! - 12/08/09 11:57 PM

OMG! Read it, and wanted to lick the computer screen. I will be altering the recipe just a tiny bit to be able to eat it, for diabetics to enjoy too...

Re: Chew on this! - 01/27/10 10:19 PM

Newest addition so that you can CHEW ON THIS! Pineapple lovers unite and gather at my kitchen table. I'll bring the spoons.

Pineapple Casserole ... or is it dessert?

Re: Chew on this! - 01/27/10 11:46 PM

That means DIL's got to purchase pineapple rings as well as yours has got it! She'll bake, I'll eat...love my life. Thanks, JJ.

Re: Chew on this! - 01/28/10 02:10 AM

Every once in awhile I buy a whole pineapple and clean off the outer stuff then slice and eats it, ice cold. Nothing better in the summertime to refresh and cool you down.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Chew on this! - 01/28/10 07:39 AM

MMMMMMMM..can't wait to try this dish...I'm salivating just thinking about it..:)

Re: Chew on this! - 02/03/10 09:15 PM

This dish is a Home Run dish...whenever mom makes it, I run home...bawwwhahahah...I'm so funny! I should write humor.

MOM'S COUNTRY CABBAGE

Make sure you have hot cornbread on hand...don't use rolls for Pete's sake, and for the love of all that's LARAPIN, don't use store-bought cornbread, either.

Re: Chew on this! - 02/03/10 09:46 PM

You ARE funny...you remind me of that lady who wrote a book...something to do with a throne. Cornbread recipe please?

Re: Chew on this! - 02/03/10 10:46 PM

Hmmm...well you can make regular Southern cornbread and I'm not talking about that Johnny cake that has sugar in it, either. Or...you can make the Sour Cream Cornbread that mom usually makes with this dish. Here is the

SOUTHERN CORNBREAD RECIPE

Preheat the oven to 425°.

INGREDIENTS
2 4 tablespoons shortening (or bacon drippings)
1 1/2 cups white self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or sweet milk
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if using buttermilk

DIRECTIONS:
Put shortening into an iron skillet and put in the oven while it's preheating. Combine the cornmeal and flour, then mix in the egg and milk. Mix should be like thick pancake batter. If not, you can add some water to it.

Take the hot pan from the oven, pour some of the melted shortening (a tablespoon or more) into the batter, then pour all of the batter into the hot skillet. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer crust is golden brown. Flip over onto plate. Eat yourself silly...

Here is the

Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe

Re: Chew on this! - 02/03/10 11:27 PM

This is a good recipe for the recipe section...Rarely see one on bread there. Sounds yummy and I LOVE breads of all kind.

Re: Chew on this! - 02/04/10 10:07 AM

Yummy...a further request from your fandom. What is oleo in Brit-speak? Margarine, lard, butter? Google is confused.

Re: Chew on this! - 02/04/10 02:08 PM

Oleo is a sub for margarine...
Posted by: Dee

Re: Chew on this! - 02/04/10 04:02 PM

Martha White's buttermilk cornmeal mix in the big bag is awesome...I heat the iron skillet with a big dallop of Criso in the oven until it's hot...then I pour in the cornbread mix...it sizzles around the edges...I've had so many compliments on her cornbread...the secret...Crisco. I melt it and pour it in the mix as well...I can hear the arteries closing as I type...but, it issssssss good.
I liked Jiffy mix until I tried Martha White's...hands down so much better and JJ I'm with you...no sugar!

Re: Chew on this! - 02/04/10 05:53 PM

You can't beat Crisco, and especially Martha White's flour and cornmeal...oh yeah, now ya talkin'!

Re: Chew on this! - 02/05/10 12:19 AM

Dee, my mother, aunt, and grandmother all used Crisco for everything and my mom is 89, and my aunt, moms sister is 91 and both are still going strong. My grandmother did too, so who is to say what's bad and whats not? If it works, use it! If it takes good, eat it...Oh Yea!!!!
Posted by: Dee

Re: Chew on this! - 02/05/10 02:39 PM

I made red beans with Tony C's in them...(they are so good I slap any mama within reach)...will bake a fresh skillet of cornbread, turnips, mashed potatoes and chicken. YUM...That's Larry's b-day lunch...for desert, a party with his family and friends.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Chew on this! - 02/08/10 06:49 PM

The only thing I know about Martha White is that she sponsors
Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. LOL...
Posted by: Baby Boomer Girl

Re: Chew on this! - 02/13/10 02:55 AM

Here in New Zealand we're amused at the American expression of 'Fixing' food. Here, we fix things when there's something wrong, so 'fixing' food conjures up fun images of food-gone-wrong that is being fixed! Over here we 'make' or 'prepare' dinner. I like the thought of those mushrooms, but I hope I don't have to fix them! smile

Re: Chew on this! - 02/13/10 09:36 PM

Funny comment BBG. Never thought of that. Okay, from now on, I won't fix anything unless it's broken.

Re: Chew on this! - 02/13/10 10:28 PM

It truly is funny how same words mean different things in different countries...