Fired

Posted by: Anonymous

Fired - 08/14/10 02:05 AM

Yep, got fired today.

Left my prior employer of nearly 6 years for a new law firm that offered 10% more pay. Took it and 10 weeks later they let me go! That was today. They will pay me throug the end of the month on 9/1/10. They said it was not a good fit and that I was making a lot of mistakes. No one would tell me I was making mistakes, just report the mistakes to HR. This a different type of law and I was still learning.

Actually, I did not feel comfortable there. There was hostility, i.e., foul language and name calling. I encountered this at my prior employer and thougt I'd gotten away from it - but it was worse. So much for greener grass.

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 02:07 AM

Does anyone know anything about unemployment?

I feel so much anger and vengence while at the same time relief.

I feel empty. I have one more pay check and 4 days vacation coming in a few weeks and then thats it.

Oh Lord, I hope You have a plan!

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 02:10 AM

Oh, and to top it off, I sprained my ankle last weekend on my horse and now no health insurance. My ankle is wrapped and now I can't receive any further care. They know that, too.

I can't change what has happened.

God, please let it work out.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 02:41 AM

Yikes, Mustang, talk about a hard time. It sounds like you were working it what gets called a "hostile environment." It also sounds like they did Not give you much chance or help to succeed. Generally speaking, if you got fired, you can apply for unemployment. Much luck to you. L

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 02:55 AM

Thanks Princess, how r doing? I applied for u/e, just hope I qualify and receive monetary benefits.

On Monday I will contact food banks.
Posted by: greene

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 01:23 PM

My thought are with you MustangGal. Just wish I could be there to give you a big hug.

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 01:55 PM

Thanks I could use it.

I've sadly discovered that neighbors, friends, church and family when I told them yesterday and ask for help, they all turned their backs.

oh how it hurts - i just want to die
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 02:21 PM

Whaaaaat? What kinds of people are they to shun you like that! I wish we could show them that you have people who believe in you.

Don't let them pull you down. Instead, chin up and get a fighting attitude. You'll show them and yourself that you can make it. This company sounds sleazy. You deserve better anyway. Get the yellow pages, and start calling all lawyer companies in your area. I worked as an employment counselor for 5 years or so. Lawyers seemed to have the highest turnover in secretaries and office clerks. I'm sure you will be able to find another job soon.

An ending can be a NEW beginning!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 03:00 PM

I am going practical here:

Apply for unemployment on Monday. You will receive it! Both this employer and your last employer pay unemployment insurance and you have every right to collect it. They said you were not a good fit, and did not give you feedback as you learned. This is not a "legal" (you did not steal, cheat, etc) reason to fire you. Therefore they have no leg to stand on to fight and most likely do not have any interest in fighting it.

You should be insured until the end of the month - call the insurance company and confirm this. Then cram in as many appointments as possible before the end of the month.

Do not let this stop you! Take the weekend to be angry, then on Monday put on your happy face and get out there!

My best to you Mustang.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 03:01 PM

I am going practical here:

Apply for unemployment on Monday. You will receive it! Both this employer and your last employer pay unemployment insurance and you have every right to collect it. They said you were not a good fit, and did not give you feedback as you learned. This is not a "legal" (you did not steal, cheat, etc) reason to fire you. Therefore they have no leg to stand on to fight and most likely do not have any interest in fighting it.

You should be insured until the end of the month - call the insurance company and confirm this. Then cram in as many appointments as possible before the end of the month.

Do not let this stop you! Take the weekend to be angry, then on Monday put on your happy face and get out there!

My best to you Mustang.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Fired - 08/14/10 03:14 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Mustang. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but do apply for unemployment as soon as possible. You can also get COBRA on the health insurance, which is partially subsidized if you're unemployed.

Re: Fired - 08/15/10 02:16 AM

Thanks gals. I was told that I'd hear from HR on Monday. If insurance, than you bet your bunnies I'll arrange for whatever available, i.e., physical, dental cleaning, etc.

I applied for unemployment on Friday - an hour after I was let go. I had to check the block terminated (catch all block) b/c I was not technically laid off.

Gosh, sure do hope I do get it. I'll need it.

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Fired - 08/15/10 11:45 PM

Hi Mustang Gal,

You are getting good advice from the others who have answered before me. I am writing you due to the fact that I can speak from the point of view of an EMPLOYER.

They will not fight your unemployment claim, and as others have said, you ought to have COBRA (or state continuation, which is what it is called when you work for a smaller firm) which means you have the right to continue your health insurance for a number of months -- probably 6 to 9 depending on what state you are in.

It is costly for an employer to hire someone and fail to train them -- and then have to let them go in such a short period of time as you experienced.

I am slow to hire, as I don't want to make those sorts of mistakes. In other words, I might bring someone on as a contractor to work on a project for a short period of time as a way to assess whether the new person "fits" with the current staff. Had they done that, you would not yet have benefits. But since they didn't, everyone is correct that both your prior employer AND this most recent employer will have legal liability for you - and no choice on that, given the circumstances you describe.

Good hunting for a new job. The teleseminar we did last week with "Feisty" -- Mary Eileen Williams -- was chock full of great ideas on how to find a job in this economy. I'll get the recording uploaded soon --and meanwhile, you might want to look for her new book -- "How to Land the Job You Love."

After all, that's the kind of job you really want, right?

Anne

Re: Fired - 08/16/10 11:25 AM

Anne, thank you.

Re: Fired - 08/16/10 08:09 PM

HR never did call and I don't trust them.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Fired - 08/17/10 02:12 AM

I had a motto when working out of my home and in an noffice that was: TRUST NO ONE
That worked for me. I loved being out of the office so made sure those were mostly the jobs I got. I sold newspaper advertising and only popped into the office to drop off my drafts, paperwork. I was the mystery woman kind of and didn't bother with anyone but my boss. I hated office politics and spoke my mind which wasn't good in some most with the clicks and their leaders. BAD CHATTY!!!

Re: Fired - 08/17/10 02:25 AM

Yeah, thats a good policy Chatty - I've a mind to take it into effect immediately. Thanks!

Re: Fired - 08/17/10 07:40 PM

HR did not call me yesterday as promised. So, I called them and no answer and I was unable to leave a message.

They say no news is good news. Yet, this is a law firm and they do lie.

Guess all I can do is sit back and wait.

Have phone interview next week the unemployment. Anyone any advise as to what to say, limit conversation to facts, etc. Prepare bullet statements for verbal responses?

Re: Fired - 08/22/10 11:22 PM

How did things go with unemployment, mustanggal? I've been thinking of you and hope you are starting to see some light at the end of this tunnel you have been thrown into,

Re: Fired - 08/27/10 05:17 PM

Greene, thank you for your kind thoughts, I was glad to see your post today.

Well this is how it went:

Basically I provided the requested information and was told the following reply of employer:

- (employee) did not meet job expectations
- (employee) did not meet 90-day introductory period
- employer did not provide specifics
- we (employer) do not wish to contest the unemployment benefits
- no misconduct involved
- (employer) has no intention of filing an appeal

Now it is up to the adjuticator and will be "sent up" today (8/25). The burden of proof is on the employer; yet, the employer did not provide specific reasons and
I was not dismissed for good cause (theft, bad behavior, etc.).

I was told that my reason on the unemployment application for dismissal was "let go" and "not a good fit". Also, that I left my prior employer under good faith and did not anticipate this to happen. The decision will take 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm so worried. I'd really like to find a job or two (2). It would be nice if I could find a nice low key day job w/ little or no stress and work at a shop/store at night weekends.

Re: Fired - 08/27/10 05:21 PM

Anne, I do want to find a job that I love. I've thought that if I do receive unemployment, I might use the time to start a pet sitting business. If it goes well then when unemployment ran out I'd need supplemental employment and would look for part time work. The peak time for pet sitting is Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, early to mid summer, and holiday weekends. If I do this, I'd give it a year or two (2) before incorporating. Most folk just get bonded and insured and take it from there.

Hmmm, maybe you gals could help me with marketing ideas and a company name?
Posted by: orchid

Re: Fired - 08/27/10 05:52 PM

names:

Care Critters
Care Minders
Pet Minders

Yes, a blog would work here. You could even occasionally talk about your horses, etc.

Re: Fired - 08/27/10 07:06 PM

Maybe do some fliers and simple business cards on the computer and post or place them at Vet's offices. I know when I go to my Vet there are several business cards and brochures for several different kinds of pet-related businesses from scooping poop to petsitting to arranging travel and boarding. You could also try advertising on your local Craigslist or free newspaper. There are also several pet-related websites where you could get the word out, although those may not be free. You could also 'hang out' where your anticipated clients congregate and spread the word that way.

Re: Fired - 08/28/10 01:58 AM

Orchid and Yonuh, you gals have great minds!

Now, where's that post with free blog info? I know its somewhere on this site! I bet Orchid knows!

Re: Fired - 08/28/10 04:32 AM

MustangG, I use Wordpress software. Yonuh uses blogger.

I don't know blogger.
But for me Wordpress.com was easy to understand but initially I spent a few days reading, thinking and set-up.

You need to think carefully about the name of your company because most likely the blog webaddress domain name that you will use, will contain the name of the company.

Here's some little video tutorials with demos:

http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2010/08/27/learn-wordpress-com-tutorial/

YOu can always set the blog as "private" until you are ready to release it publicly. Wordpress.com provides a good amount of free memory for blog to grow.

If you look at my blogs below, we have a decent amount on ..and we still haven't reached the limit yet.

At wordpress.com you will see at the home page, sample blogs other people have created. Wordpress.com offers a little over 100 different blog template designs to choose for the skeleton. M

If you have ever created a database or electronically filed and tagged complex sets of documents, you will find Wordpress.com blog set-up not that difficult.

Once you've set up, it is not difficult to add periodically articles and photos. I tend to like to compose my posts with photos and text surrounding them. Other people do it much more simply. I just choose a visual composition per article, that takes a few more minutes but is more aesthetically pleasing so that it might interest a reader to hang out and browse around.

Yes, there are all sorts of little gadgets you can do..automatic slideshows (cyclewriteblog has several), reader counters/geolocations, etc. And now Wordpress has built in twitter, facebook buttons in the design for people to share content, etc.

I can assure you that blogging plus belonging and participating in a few key forums/follow 1-3 key blogs, builds networks, etc.

Pm me as you progress.

Re: Fired - 08/28/10 03:30 PM

Orchid has some good tips. I tried WordPress and just couldn't wrap my head around it; for me it just wasn't intuitive and Blogger is. I would suggest you try both and see which one works for you. And yes, definitely get your business name first before setting up the business blog. You could always set up a personal blog first for a test run before deciding which blog software works for you. Some hosting companies will allow you to set up a web site including a blog with guestbook and lots of other features. If you do a web site hosting comparison, you can get great deals on hosting.

I'm excited for you. This sounds like a great new possibility!!

Re: Fired - 08/29/10 03:44 PM

Various people have switched from blogger to wordpress.com and vice versa.

I didn't bother trying blogger software. Once we realized that I had to set up the biz blog quickly, I just chose wordpress. We wanted to capture the experience of living in an Olympic host city during that time and how it affected transportation planning that time.

I guess my attitude was going by my gut instinct and trusting my own adaptability to design very large databases from previous jobs. It had formed a major part of my jobs in the last 15 yrs. Blogging software is actually...quite simple (to me) info. architecture compared to other more complex software I've had to design from ground up.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Fired - 08/29/10 03:47 PM

Pizza places, laundries, supermarkets, malls, sporting goods stores and large chains all have bulletin boards where you can
advertise your business. Pet sitting is an excellent business,
especially in an upscale neighborhood. Generally both people within a relationship have to work to pay for an expensive lifestyle and usually they own expensive pets with costly upkeep.
Good luck to you Mustang! Sorry about your troubles and will
pray for a rapid turnaround to those woes. Prayers and blessings,

Re: Fired - 08/29/10 10:13 PM

Obviously the author has a preference in this comparison:
http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2009/09/25/blogger-sucks-wordpress-rocks/

She is one of the team volunteer support members who provides free technical support on wordpress.com. I believe she's provided support nearly daily for past 4 yrs. So she and team members deal with alot of newbies.

Re: Fired - 08/30/10 12:12 AM

It seems like 4-6 weeks is an awful long time to wait for a decision on unemployment. What is in your favor is that the company will not fight you. As for blogging, I have set up both a wordpress and a blogger. The Wordpress offers many more options than the blogger/blogspot. However, I don't have the time to study all the bells and whistles, and I will eventually just have one blog, which is the easy to use but fewer options blogspot. You can see the difference in the exact same content: http://www.beyondthetears.com/bttblog of http://beyondthetears.blogspot.com
A Blog is an excellent idea for you. Since your passion lies in animals, imagine all the tips you can share related to a pet sitting business. By the way, I did get my current pet-sitter by calling on a card at the vet's office.

Re: Fired - 08/30/10 01:01 AM

Tipping my hat to all of you ladies -- great ideas!

My unemployment was approved for 26 weeks!

Don't know when I receive my 1st deposit, though.

Turns out that one of the prior horse boarders at my stable left the corporate world 3 years ago due to a toxic environment and PTSD diagnoses. She started her very own pet sitting business. Her 1st year was OK, doubled 2nd year, 3rd year she became bonded/insured and incorporated. She also took out an Yellow Page advertisement which has doubled her business again. She has asked me to help her and I am! I started yesterday pet sitting and I will distribute her flyers, business cards, magnets, etc., to local business and neighborhoods in my neck of the woods with the hopes of expanding her territory under her licensed name and working those areas. (She will pay me under the table!). Thus, I will try this as an 'apprentice' and see how it goes!

Perhaps this will give me time to regroup and think and spend time with my beloved pets. My dog needs surgery and now I can help him recover.

I'm currently handling 3 visits a day to a household w/in a 6 mile radius of my home with 2 large great danes!

I'll let ya'll know how it progress!

Re: Fired - 08/30/10 01:08 PM

That sounds like a great way to bring in some money as well as learning about the business you are interested in. But without the stress of starting it yourself at this time when you are under so much stress as it is. Congrats!

Re: Fired - 08/30/10 01:24 PM

Thank you Greene!

Re: Fired - 08/30/10 01:24 PM

Mustang,
Congratulations! Praying everything works out for your benefit!
I love animals too. So my heart is right there with you.
Prayers and blessings,

Re: Fired - 08/31/10 02:24 AM

Wow! That worked out so well for you, and so fast. I thought of you today when a car passed by with the logo "From Feathers to Fur: Pet Sitting Service"

Re: Fired - 08/31/10 09:55 PM

Hey Princess, thank you for thinking of me - very thoughtful and kind of you. Wow, that is a cool name for a pet sitting business.

I'll see how it all works out, yet somehow I hope to be back in the corporate world again.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Fired - 09/01/10 02:21 AM

Pet sitting/ Dog walking businesses are taking off like crazy in Baltimore city. Many of the 20-30-somethings live and work down there, and they're all getting dogs that need to be walked in the middle of the day. If you are interested, I'll get some of the names and Web addresses from our Baltimore magazine so you can check out what they are offering, and what they charge.

Re: Fired - 09/01/10 07:48 PM

Thank you Dotsie!

I spent an hour yesterday cleaning up 2 great dane urine, sweeping and mopping the floors, and running the sweeper! It was only to be a 30 minute visit! I might regroup and contact AppleOne to assist with job placement!

Re: Fired - 09/02/10 02:41 AM

Great Dane's must, well, have a lot to clean up. What is Apple One?

Re: Fired - 09/09/10 01:28 AM

Princess, AppleOne is an employment agency -- hoping they can help.

Re: Fired - 09/09/10 04:15 PM

Good luck there, Mustang. Hope you find a job you're happy with!

Re: Fired - 09/16/10 09:54 PM

I've an interview tomorrow, September 17th, wish me well.

The lady who is my pet sitter mentor, has not had any work for me for 2 weeks and yet she wants to introduce me to her clients. I need benefits and she does not offer benefits. She said I'd need to find a job with benefits and somehow work in AM, noon, and PM sitting. Or, dip into my savings and retirment. I'm 44 and don't want to touch any of my accounts if at possible. She said even if I went out on my own, I'd have to dip into some type of savings until the clientale built up. She is in her early 60's and closer to retirment than I.

Gosh, I'd hate it that I don't get the job tomorrow and she knows that I need benefits and now does not want me to work with her.

The interview tomorrow is for a temp to full time position through a temp agency I've contracted with.

I've applied for 20+ jobs and only 1 interview scheduled.

Re: Fired - 09/16/10 10:31 PM

Good luck Mustang,

There are resources available for those of us who are self employed which allow us to get benefits like health insurance. But if course, this means your net pay is less because you have to pay those things yourself. Let me know if you decide to become an independent contractor, which is what she is talking about, and need to find your own benefits.

Re: Fired - 09/18/10 07:47 PM

Good luck Mustang..do consider learning and picking up a brand new skill to complement/supplement your existing skills/expertise during this time.

I'm looking as well --for paid work. All the work related to blogging is unpaid. But at least I'm finding it satisfying on different fronts while learning something new at the same time.

I do view blogging as an add-on skill to other skills that I have already. In fact, in the world of information management it is now expected of graduating librarians to know database design, research, basic web design, blog design & blogging, group training, etc. in addition to management (we take mandatory courses for latter in our program).

It's alot. But a person keeps on learning and remaining "fresh".

Think how you could reapply your paralegal skills in a different way. Some of the social agencies and govn't., might need people like you who aren't lawyers, but have strong knowledge of the legal system and legal processes.

Re: Fired - 09/18/10 10:56 PM

Thanks Orchid and Anne. Unfortunately i did not get the temp position, apparantly i'm overqualified or underqualified to be a receptionist. I'm going to meet with a VA rep to discuss my resume and options soon.

Re: Fired - 09/19/10 04:01 AM

Since I'm from Canada I'm not sure what is a VA rep.

But the Canadian federal govn't provides services to assist the unemployed in our country, with resume writing, interviewing techniques and skills reassessment. I even got videotaped to see my communication style. It was illuminating. It was all excellent support and advice..for free if one meets specific elgibility requirements. The participant is expected to actively participate in small group workshops. The service includes use of public computers to print off job ads, resumes, etc. Very helpful. (Computer printer ink for home is expensive after all....) The whole process is important because it's too easy to become isolated and become quite depressed.

Try something like this Mustang. If nothing else you will meet a whole range of people.

Re: Fired - 09/19/10 12:06 PM

My state has the same, but b/c I have a graduate degree I qualify for less support systems. Their thinking is that b/c I have a grad degree I'm not as destitute as those with less of an education. Seems to be an oxymoron to me.

I am enrolled in Crossroads Career Network with a local church which is a 11-week course which is a faith-based job search and career transition resources. About 2/3s of the class is unemployed, while the other is underemployed or wanting a career change. A few are happily employed.

The class is free and facilitated with volunteers, one of which is a VA (Veteran's Affairs) rep in the neighboring county. She agrees that my VA rep is lazy and she has invited me to her office for assistance.

Also, I will contact the Goodwill office to assist with same. I would not mind working for Goodwill b/c they have a good working environment and benefits. However, the pay is not good and does not cover all the bills.

Re: Fired - 09/19/10 08:26 PM

Orchid, I'm sorry that you're looking for work, too.

There are 3 or 4 jobs I want to apply for, yet I feel that my resume looks like poo poo. I'd really like to work for a vet clinic and just found the below ad dated September 14th and could just kick myself in the but for not having seen it earlier. Yet, I just don't know how to redesign and cater my resume to fit such a need to be a candidate.

"Rewarding position as a part-time or full-time vet receptionist available in a small animal hospital located in the West Columbia area striving to provide affordable, quality health care to our faithful companions. We are currently seeking eager upbeat learners to join our team. Candidates should be outgoing, hardworking, computer literate, be adept at multi-tasking efficiently, and demonstrate a sincere desire to exceed our clientele’s expectations. Experience is preferred but willing to train. Some of your required duties will be to greet our clients and pets in a warm and welcoming manner, directing and maintaining the flow of the patients while in the hospital, answering the telephone in a cheerful manner, scheduling appointments, and medical record upkeep. The hours are 7:30-6 pm Monday through Friday and Saturdays 8-12:30 pm, dependable transportation is a must. We are a smoke free facility. You will be required to pass a basic skills test. Please do not call. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of pets then Email your resume/qualifications and a cover letter describing your interest"

Re: Fired - 09/19/10 08:58 PM

Job searching: such is life.

You might want to check if they would still consider resumes at this time.

You would have to retool your resume in areas of communication skills, animal husbandry, organization, multi-tasking, etc. You get the drift. smile

It takes a long time on the lst major revision to redesign a resume. Then it has to be in a format so that one can copy and paste into online databases that hiring company may require of applicants.

I'm also commenting from the perspective as having screened resumes and interviewed applicants in some of my former jobs.

Re: Fired - 09/20/10 06:33 PM

I have a job interview Thursday morning with a law firm and although the pay is lower, I'd be inclined to accept. Also, no benefits until 1 year of employment. Yet, if it seems to be less stressful then it may be worthwhile.

Re: Fired - 09/21/10 12:30 AM

Ouch! No benefits for a year, when I think you have said benefits are crucial to you.

Good luck with it, reduced stress is a biggie.

Re: Fired - 09/25/10 11:49 AM

Well, it seems the pet sitting gal has duped me! I've been doing free advertising for her and has on 3 seperate occassions told me that she had pet sitting set up for me and each time she never called back. She said that if I advertised in my area (town) that she'd give me the jobs to cover under her business name and then pay me a portion of the proceeds.

Perhaps I should advertise on my own and see what happens, maybe I could build up a good clientale base by Christmas.

Re: Fired - 09/25/10 02:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear this Mustang. That's pathetic of that woman.

By the way blogging ..is free as long as you have Internet. Time to set up blog for biz and showcase your knowledge of animal husbandry.

As for me, I have to find housing in another province....1,200 kms. away. Dearie will help me get set up in new place with barebones belongings for now since I'm not certain how things will work out.

So my days of alot of blogging will be less. I still hope to blog on the subjects that I have writing on but it may not be often as now. So in a bizarre way, I've be pumping out some more new blog articles while I still have available time left..like this this. with pretty pics. Killer, hey? cool

Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Fired - 09/28/10 06:37 AM

Orchid, nice pics!

Mustang, start your own pet sitting business! That woman is a sleaze, and you don't want to be associated with her business anyhow.

Re: Fired - 09/28/10 05:00 PM

Orchid, the photos are beautiful! I love the views near Lion's Gate Bridge. Sorry you are having to move to another province, but it sounds like you have it under control.

I am delighted to report that my daughter emailed me this morning to say her hubbie, who has been out of work for at least 9 months, and who was getting desperate enough to consider workiing as a waiter, has a job. He is going back to work on a temporary basis at his old employer, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, where he had been a sports editor.

Apparently one of the other editors took a job at the New York Times,

Re: Fired - 09/28/10 05:10 PM

Hmmm, suddenly I couldn't type into the box anymore...

So my SIL has a temp job at the MJS at least through the end of football season, and they are trying to get him on FT

So Mustang, there is hope, and I agree with Orchid that you ought to consider your own pet sitting business. You have the credentials and you care... Those are important things people look for when they have to temporarily leave their pets.

You could keep the pets at your place OR you could go out to the homes... I expect that if you have the space, the former is a better use of your time and takes less gas.

Blogging IS a good way to get the word out, but don't ignore concepts like leaving messages on bulletin boards at vet offices, in grocery stores, in local advertisers where ads are free and/or inexpensive - and any other places you can think of to freely post a flyer - or a message - even church bulletins, might work. I'll post a "news byte" for you on the next NABBW newsletters, too.

Re: Fired - 09/29/10 02:22 PM

Mustang,
I agree with orchid and Anne about starting your own pet setting
business. Why not? You love animals. That's the most important
element! I found my new dentist via a business card her husband
put on the bulletin board in a local laundromat. People do read
those things. A pizza place in town has tons of local business
notices on it. While people wait for take-out, they stand there
and read 'em. Good luck! Prayers and blessings,

Re: Fired - 09/29/10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
Blogging IS a good way to get the word out, but don't ignore concepts like leaving messages on bulletin boards at vet offices, in grocery stores, in local advertisers where ads are free and/or inexpensive - and any other places you can think of to freely post a flyer - or a message - even church bulletins, might work. I'll post a "news byte" for you on the next NABBW newsletters, too.

Anne that's great your son-in-law landed a temp. job. It's just good for him to get back into being around people to stay connected and do networking too while on the job.

You're right that Mustang's marketing approach must be multi-pronged, every possible avenue used to reach the market. As for my comment on blogging...it can replace a website for a small biz, if one designs it right and plans carefully about the type of content on it.

These days, alot of people expect small biz to have a basic web site or blog. Even a small restaurant nowadays.

Blog gives an opportunity for an entrepreneur to stay connected with their customers and locals. To also show a more human side of the entrepreneur that is still related to the biz.

Meredith: Thanks for the compliments. smile The tourism blog that I write for occasionally, it won a 2010 national award for the best Canadian tourism blog. So though I don't get paid for the work, it's good to be part of a team in creating a good thing.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Fired - 09/29/10 08:55 PM

http://www.happyhoundsathome.com/

http://www.walkthedogbaltimore.com/

http://www.baltimoredogwalking.com/

http://www.dogdaywalking.com/

http://fourdogadventures.com/

http://www.doghousegirls.com/fees.html

http://furpawspetcare.com/ServiceandRates.html

http://www.techtivist.com/dog/

Dog walking is a huge business in Baltimore city - huge. All the 20-somethings that live down there are gtting dogs. They all work full-time and need someone to walk their dogs.

Above are a few of the sites for these businesses. This will help you see what people are offering and the prices they are charging. I hope this helps.

Re: Fired - 09/30/10 02:18 AM

Dotsie, thank you for all the great information!

Orchid, your photos are lovely and made me hungary!

Anne, congratulations to your SIL -- he is well deserving!

Thanks to all you gals!

Re: Fired - 09/30/10 01:30 PM

Mustang,
What great links Dotsie gave you. I loved looking at all those
advertisements. There are some excellent ideas there! Good luck!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Fired - 10/08/10 01:08 AM

I never knew there was so much to learn and be able to view. Great links!

Re: Fired - 10/08/10 08:06 PM

Orchid, You are absolutely right about the need for a basic website or blog -- heavens, my husband and I have been building websites and blogs for small business owners for over a decade now -- there is no way I would NOT recommend that Mustang have a blog... And Dotsie's links certrainly proved that OTHER dog walking and pet care businesses do this. (Wonderful links, BTW, Dotsie!)

I just wanted to make sure Mustang new that she doesn't have to wait to get a blog built to start promoting -- and, as you said, to point out that small business owners need to utilize as many marketing resources as they can.

One additional note of advice: Don't let the Yellow Pages people sell you a big ad. Your listing in the YP is free, and that is really all you need there. Put the rest of your marketing efforts into as much free marketing as you can find.

The great "guerrilla marketer Jay Conrad Levinson once had a list of something like two dozen ways local businesses can market -- and many of them were "creative"

For example, why not make up a shirt or jacket that you wear when you are walking the dogs, that has your business name on it -- a phone number and a picture that makes it clear what you do... Why knows, you might get photographed by your local newspaper photographer who is out looking for "color shots." And if nothing else, you're a walking billboard when you are out with the dogs.

Re: Fired - 10/09/10 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
For example, why not make up a shirt or jacket that you wear when you are walking the dogs, that has your business name on it -- a phone number and a picture that makes it clear what you do... Why knows, you might get photographed by your local newspaper photographer who is out looking for "color shots." And if nothing else, you're a walking billboard when you are out with the dogs.

Sounds like a great idea.

OR if one of the Mustang's own dogs wore a little vest that large lettering of her firm on it.

Need a creative design student somewhere...actually this whole design thing would be a perfect class project assignment.. and student would learn something. Everything is so virtual, student could design online, submit, etc.

Re: Fired - 10/13/10 11:28 PM

Thank you ladies, all great ideas!

Yet, I've done some market research and have discovered that there are already 3 or so dozen pet businesses recently. Seems that others are doing the same in connection with the economic environment. Being your own boss or contractor seems to be popular.

I'd be lucky if I made $800 a month in my locality.

I'm praying that I'll find a job with benefits. The Army National Guard is not taking my peer group for waivers in my state nor the 3 surrounding states.

I'm now registered with three (3) temp agencies and nothing.

The unemployment office referred me to a law office where the lawyer was nearly an hour late for the interview and berated her current and past employees. She offered me 55% less than my prior job and said if I did not take the job that I'd lose my unemployment benefits. The unemployment office agreed with her. I went up the chain to find out that I will not lose my benefits and that several complaints exist against that particular lawyer and firm. Geesh.

Seems that employers will advertise their jobs with the unemployment office for cheap labor. I've learned my lesson with that particular avenue. Again, proof positive that folk will take advantage of you and the government lies or doesn't have a chicken's poop of a clue.

I worked one more week with my pet sitting 'mentor' and she lied and took advantage of me. She said I was stupid and that's why I lost my job - she said I have a track record. I have no room for her in my life.

I may take a try at Craigslist for jobs.

Also, seems word of mouth is best these days. Yet, I don't have anyone really to help with that avenue.

I have traffic w/ regard to my home for sale (since 12/09) at least 1x week; yet, offers are less than that which I'm asking. I've lowered the price 2X to where, if sold, will cover the realtor fees and closing costs, leaving me at break even. Yet, the offers are much less b/c folk who are approved for less are trying to buy that which they can't afford.

Also, I may consider going back to school -- perhaps medical coding, that seems to be a good career.

Thus, if my home sells, I'm open to move somewhere else. I'm trying to trust God -- and doing so leaves many obstacles. Seems that the more I try to attend Church that I encounter folk who call themselves Christians, but hide their sins behind the pews and lie. I'm trying to keep my faith.

Lord willing.

Re: Fired - 10/13/10 11:30 PM

Thank you ladies, all great ideas!

Yet, I've done some market research and have discovered that there are already 3 or so dozen pet businesses recently. Seems that others are doing the same in connection with the economic environment. Being your own boss or contractor seems to be popular.

I'd be lucky if I made $800 a month in my locality.

I'm praying that I'll find a job with benefits. The Army National Guard is not taking my peer group for waivers in my state nor the 3 surrounding states.

I'm now registered with three (3) temp agencies and nothing.

The unemployment office referred me to a law office where the lawyer was nearly an hour late for the interview and berated her current and past employees. She offered me 55% less than my prior job and said if I did not take the job that I'd lose my unemployment benefits. The unemployment office agreed with her. I went up the chain to find out that I will not lose my benefits and that several complaints exist against that particular lawyer and firm. Geesh.

Seems that employers will advertise their jobs with the unemployment office for cheap labor. I've learned my lesson with that particular avenue. Again, proof positive that folk will take advantage of you and the government lies or doesn't have a chicken's poop of a clue.

I worked one more week with my pet sitting 'mentor' and she lied and took advantage of me. She said I was stupid and that's why I lost my job - she said I have a track record. I have no room for her in my life.

I may take a try at Craigslist for jobs.

Also, seems word of mouth is best these days. Yet, I don't have anyone really to help with that avenue.

I have traffic w/ regard to my home for sale (since 12/09) at least 1x week; yet, offers are less than that which I'm asking. I've lowered the price 2X to where, if sold, will cover the realtor fees and closing costs, leaving me at break even. Yet, the offers are much less b/c folk who are approved for less are trying to buy that which they can't afford.

Also, I may consider going back to school -- perhaps medical coding, that seems to be a good career.

Thus, if my home sells, I'm open to move somewhere else. I'm trying to trust God -- and doing so leaves many obstacles. Seems that the more I try to attend Church that I encounter folk who call themselves Christians, but hide their sins behind the pews and lie. I'm trying to keep my faith.

Lord willing.

Re: Fired - 10/14/10 03:24 PM

Sorry, don't know why this posted 2X.

Re: Fired - 10/15/10 03:14 AM

Mustang,

Though it is not an instant fix, going back to school to get some new experience IS great idea. It looks like areas where we will have job growth in the coming years are largely in the health care and medical arenas.

Here are some interesting links on that:

Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act

Workforce 50

Reboot You

Retired Brains

Boomers Next Step

Experience Works

Re: Fired - 10/15/10 03:02 PM

Thanks for these links, Anne. I sent them on to my partner who, after almost 40 years in the construction industry has no work for the first time ever. The construction trades are dead in the water because of the housing debacle.

Re: Fired - 10/15/10 08:43 PM

I see many in the same boat. Thanks for the links. We need some fresh links for resources. Mustang, glad you're not going to work for that rude lawyer.

Re: Fired - 10/16/10 01:35 AM

I'm registered at 3 different temp agencies and 2 of the 3 have all told me that they have something for me and then it falls through and won't take my calls. It's very discouraging.

I applied for 3 legal positions on my own yesterday and another today and I'm not informing the temp agencies b/c I was so hoping they'd help me find work. I understand the economy of finding work; yet, don't tell me you have a job and then don't take my calls b/c there is no job.

Stay away from A p p l e O n e! I've heard of this and then it happened to me! They took my resume and then sent solicitations to my prior employers!

Re: Fired - 10/17/10 02:57 AM

Yonuh, that is just terrible about the loss of work due to the housing construction industry. It's not just housing. I've been North of where you live, and there are hotels stopped mid-construction, strip malls with unfinished, and other office spaces finished, but with no occupants. The hotel is a tall ugly cement concrete eyesore. I gave my husband the list of Anne's 5 sites. When I looked over his shoulder to see how he was doing, he was looking at "Celebrity Halloween Costumes." God give me strength!

Re: Fired - 10/17/10 04:27 PM

There are two lumber supply companies out of business here now; my partner's friends, who used to have thriving businesses have no income; the ripple effect is enormous!

Re: Fired - 10/18/10 12:24 PM

Yonuh, I'm sorry for your partner and his friends. Yes, the ripple effect is enormous and very worrisome.