tea towel project

Posted by: Mountain Ash

tea towel project - 01/02/07 06:36 PM

Does anyone know how to make....
a hanging hand towel from dishtowels.These are cut in half...crochet (thats the bit I want to do) along raw edge.It is fastened with a button.They hang on a towel rail or over door handle...I had some sent from the US a while back.Now I wish to make some fresh ones..
Thank you
Mountain ash
Posted by: Lola

Re: tea towel project - 01/02/07 06:54 PM

Hi, Mountain Ash: Ann "Crosstitch Queen" posted a link to this under Knit v Crochet. It's a pretty good link which carries instructions to making one.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: tea towel project - 01/02/07 09:22 PM

This post makes me miss my Aunt Eve who knew how to do all these things. She died last year at the ripe old age of 92. God rest her soul! I still use her crocheted pot holders and dish rags. They're my favorite.

Re: tea towel project - 01/03/07 03:53 PM

Help please on how to find this ...Crosstitch Queen are you lurking?
Mountain Ash
Posted by: chickadee

Re: tea towel project - 01/03/07 06:55 PM

Mountain,

http://www.ehow.com/how_17189_crochet-pot-holders.html

try this in the meantime....great site for 'how to' anything.

chick
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: tea towel project - 01/03/07 11:49 PM

Here's another link:

http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs...chenbobble.html

Re: tea towel project - 01/04/07 06:05 PM

Crossstitch Queen
Thants the one......many thanks.I have the materials.Will twll you if I can do it.
Mountain Ash
Posted by: Poppie

Re: tea towel project - 01/05/07 03:55 PM

If I was sat with ye Ash...I could show you. Crochet...it is a dying art and skill here in the north. I was taught my my mum's mum....oh a formidable woman to be sure. I loved her dearly mind...and smile warmly as I think of her now. I was also known for a wee bit of craic with her when she annoyed me or visa versa...I would sit a the top of the stairs and play Green Sleaves...her at the bottom calling me a 'cursed git'....still makes me laugh and never ended in tears. The dispute was mostly resolved with hot cocoa and digestives...she had a sense of humour, which is just as well.
Bt the by...how is the Jewellry comming along, are you still at it??

Po

Re: tea towel project - 01/05/07 09:17 PM

Popea
great to hear from you. Happy New Year.
Jewellry has been on holiday.starts again Thursday.Really need to get some silver so I can do something this term.Have been told there is a good place in Glasgow.(Takes two hours in the bus) Probably a bracelet.Need the feeling of filing and turning something into a beautiful object worthy of gifing to my daughter.Got the toolbox ready.
And....congratulations on you wedding.Be happy
Mountain Ash

Re: tea towel project - 01/07/07 11:00 PM

Crosstitch Queen
I did it.........guess what? I hardly needed the pattern.I printed it off and will store it with gratitude.
I need another small project...ideas anyone?
Mountain Ash
Posted by: Songbird

Re: tea towel project - 04/17/07 08:49 PM

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/118/f118001cutetoweltopper.shtml
here are instructions that I hope help you out! I love crocheting, but lately have no time.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: tea towel project - 04/17/07 10:14 PM

Thanks Songbird, I bookmarked that page. Great info!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: tea towel project - 04/21/07 04:12 PM

Song, gone are the days where women sat and crocheted or knitted the day away. Kinda sad. I have an aunt who made all the kids in the family pot holders and dish rags whenever we needed them. She died a little over a year ago. I still think of her when I use the things she made us. Something so simple brought tremendous pleasure to so many.

At her 90th birthday party, one of my cousins gave her a box with used pot holders and dish rags and told her it was time for some new ones. She'd worn them out.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: tea towel project - 04/26/07 04:57 PM

JJ, Dotsie: Do you crochet? I love to crochet. Haven't done it since I started working on my first book. Shame on me! But it's still part of me. I long to just take some "time out" from the busyness and crochet to my heart's content!

Dotsie: Beautiful memories warm your heart! It's sad these arts are dying in some way. Too bad I didn't have daugthers to pass down the fun of crocheting to. (Sigh) Maybe someday I'll have a grand daughter...