creative teens

Posted by: Dotsie

creative teens - 06/05/04 04:10 PM

I read an article in the paper the other day about teenagers raising money for a worthy cause by decorating flip-flops and selling them throughout their high school.

They bought all the pretty colored sandals at the discount stores and painted dots, spots, and creative designs on the straps. They wrapped them with ribbon and added silk and plastic flowers. I've also seen the kids who make the ribbon belts and headbands.

I love hearing about kids using their creative juices.

Has anyone else heard of kids using their creativity to raise money, and if so, how?

[ June 05, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: smilinize

Re: creative teens - 06/05/04 06:00 PM

I no longer have teens, but this brings back memories.
My most creative daughter is the one who is now a C.P.A. of all things and just gave birth to my new granddaughter. When she was about twelve, she needed money for something so she decided to have a carnival in our back yard.
She got old appliance boxes and made up all kinds of games and side shows lined up around the fence.
Since profit was the motive, she decided to make salt dough prizes. She made some really cute things and all was going well until some of the dough fell on the heating element in the oven and shorted the whole stove out.
Overall, very profitable for her and very unprofitable for me.
She also made some weird mixture of dish soap and baby powder that she somehow convinced her friends was "Special dog shampoo". She sold it to make money while I was recovering from surgery.
She's always been Way too creative, but more fun than a magic show.
smile
But we laugh at that now.

Re: creative teens - 06/07/04 06:43 PM

smile, I bet you laugh at those memories now. Love the dog shampoo idea.

Maggie, maybe you could buy inexpensive bedroom slippers and decorate them for the Christmas bazaar.

You never know what people wll buy. For a couple years there's been a kiosk at the mall near Christmas. They sell platform slippers that look like tennis shoes. [Eek!] I would never buy them...but enough people do! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Maggie

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 07:15 AM

Great idea Dotsie, although may have to try some flip flops too. We have started our bazaar workshops again. We canceled them this week though because we are having a rummage sale. I get to pick out stuff for the bazaar workers. Yeah!!! I found a fish mobile we will take it apart and make ornaments with beads maybe. Since we live near the ocean they might go OK. You never know. I just bring in ideas and challenge the people there. We also laugh and have fun while we work. If you don't see me this week its because I am working at the sale.
Through the years I have seen teens work on crafts and sell them. They are always interesting,
fun and well done.
Maggie

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 07:28 AM

I just got back from the mall and there certainly seemed to be a lot of decorated flip flops there. Darling ones too. I wanted to buy them all, but only got two pairs (It was difficult to resist the dozen other pairs I wanted)
I would definitely be a customer if I went to a craft show that had them.
smile
Posted by: Julie

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 07:11 AM

I just want to let all you people know that the REAL name for "flip-flops" - an Australian invention, please note [Big Grin] - is THONGS.

I know that means something else in your country. We call those G-strings!

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 06:02 PM

Hey, thongs, flip flops, could be used for either according to how much you've got to flip and flop I suppose.
I can only imagine those flowers and jewels and sequins I saw on those flip flops/thongs in the mall decorating my derierre.
Not a pretty sight.
smile

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 07:10 AM

smile, we're getting the cameras ready for the boomer calendar! Get your thongs on girl!

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 09:48 PM

Hey, I got my thongs on right now. One on each foot.
But if we're gonna' take photos, I say I choose the body I WANT to display my thong. The body I'm hauling around now is used and and I need a new model.
The way I see it we all oughtta' get new bodies at mid life. After all if you're in the middle of life, you're either half dead or half alive. I guess it's according to the way you view that infamous cup. Either way, a new body would sure be nice.
Personally, I'm opting for a total body transplant. I want Pamela's boobs, Tina's legs and J Lo's behind.
With a body like that I won't need a brain. Besides, the one I've got is like new. It's hardly been used at all.
I already got a real good trade in on my heart. It had a lot of miles on it and it had been wrecked so I asked God for a new one and He took the old one in trade. Now I just pray and read His Word and I get a shiny new one every single day. What a deal.
So as soon as I recover from this Extreme makeover/full body transpanlt, I'll be ready for the photo session, thong and all. WHEW!!!
smile
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 10:14 PM

Hey Smiles...is it time for us to bring the calendar idea back to life? Think everybody can tolerate us again? hahahaha....

JJ

Re: creative teens - 06/08/04 10:25 PM

Go for it JJ. Tolerating us is THEIR problem!!!
smile

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 01:03 AM

you got it. Now...what I'm thinking is we get volunteers from local fire departments, police stations, and maybe even Domino's pizza...okay, nix-a on the pizza-a thingy...

Once we get volunteers (either volunteering or kicking and screaming) we each pose with a group of these fellows...thus! A NEW CALENDAR IS BORN!

The theme is "HANDS ACROSS AMERICA?" no? How bout "HUNKS ACROSS AMERICAN?"

WHAT? WHAT?

and then Smiles said....TAKE IT SMILES!

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 01:13 AM

WOW JJ, you got a great idea there. I was thinking in terms of hunk singular. I like hunk(s) plural even more.

Yessirree!!! The more hunks the merrier.

We could do a pyramid with me on the top. (I hope those pizza guys bring a crane and chain hoist with 'em) I will look so fabulous. Maybe one of those guys will sit on my lap. Or if he's really tough, I can sit on his.

Wheweeee! I'm getting into this. You think this flop sweat is a hot flash or a power surge?
smile

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 02:16 AM

yes sir reee kiddo...We could wear thongs. (the shoes, not you know whats) If you are going to take the Pizza boys, then I'll take the fire department...anybody wanna go for the police?

You know...if we could travel across America and find a BOOMER WOMAN in each state, we could do one of these babies....all we need now is an RV, about 10,000, a good digital camera, and leave from work. Am I leaving anything out? [Big Grin]

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 03:09 AM

Hey, if I've got J Lo's bottom and all the pizza guys, Baby, I'm wearing a THONG!!

And it won't be on my foot either.

I might have to re-think my choice of men though. Most of the pizza guys around here are kind of... Well, let's just say most are not real buff.
I'm thinking I should get half the Police Force and half the Firemen and trade you the fat half of the pizza guys. I think that's fair.

Now that we got that settled, I'm thinking one woman per state is a good idea except for those states with a lot of boomers. And I say they find their own guys and split them up and you and I get our pick. Now that sounds fair to me.

Okay, I'm getting into this calendar again. Thong here I come!!!
smile

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 03:43 AM

Girl I do like the way you think...course you know that Dotsie is gonna get us, don't you?
What the hey! Now...the way I see it, I'll trade you half the firemen but you keep the pizza guys...most of the ones around here have eaten too many pizzas if you know what I mean...hey, come to think of it, so have I! AnyHoo...I'll add a half dozen policemen to my pic...and you can have the other half...how's that? Now...if you can swing the 10,000 buck-a-roos, I think I can rent a RV for us...no, no, don't thank me, it's what I do.

JJ

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 06:30 AM

Boy that is a deal I can't refuse. The $10,000 check for the males is in the mail for the females.
Only thing is, I say we skip the RV and spring for some serious plastic surgery and lipo suction.
smile

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 02:07 PM

Hey, wait just a darn minute there...I resemble that remark!

Nix-a on the liposuction-a...I don't want anybody sticking needles in me or cutting on this bod unless I'm dying...then I want them to do so as if I'm gonna live...

So...mail the check, and I'll check the males...teehhee...Lord, I'm gonna love this job...
[Big Grin]
JJ

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 05:38 PM

I can't wait for the first boomer convention. [Big Grin]

I'm gonna shock the heck out of you two when I have the Chippendale models appear and ask for you. [Eek!]

Then I'm going to ask them to start posing for this calendar. You on? [Razz]

Re: creative teens - 06/09/04 06:42 PM

Good-bye pizza guys. Hello Chippendales.

GO DOTSIE!! Girl, I like the way you think!!!!

Whooeeeee!!!

smile
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: creative teens - 06/10/04 01:35 AM

Dream On ladies....If all else fails I have a roll-a-dex with over 3000 names of sexy, hungry males you can draw from and some are even celebrities and not bad, plus they're use to the camera, lights, action and know how to take direction well. [Wink]

Re: creative teens - 06/10/04 01:38 AM

I just noticed the topic heading this is under:

CREATIVE TEENS [Confused] [Roll Eyes] whats that about girls? Are we alittle lost here or what? [Confused]

Re: creative teens - 06/10/04 04:38 AM

Muffy...er..I mean Dotsie, you just became my new best friend...As they say on Hawaii 5-O, BOOK UM DANA...

Count me in...you in Smiles? Chatty?

Re: creative teens - 06/10/04 10:10 AM

"Counta me'a in'a" as my Italian ancestors would say. I'm ready for my close up [Big Grin] Mr. Damill.

Re: creative teens - 06/10/04 04:21 PM

Osiyo, from the Cherokee segment of this little piece of Americana. I'm IN.
smile