Bazaars

Posted by: Maggie

Bazaars - 09/09/03 05:14 AM

Our Church womens group are beginning their bazaar workshops.
Just wondering if any of you have wonderful, quick, easy ideas that the crafty ladies could use. Some just want to help out and like to do simple crafts. My email is crafterscoop@oregoncoast.com if you have ideas
please let me know.
Thanks,
Maggie
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Bazaars - 09/09/03 03:26 PM

Maggie,
Anyone do stained glass. We had an ornament from our church one year that is simply the 3 letters that we refer to our chuch. TPC...

Maybe someone could design one and others could reproduce?

One of the men in our congregation took a picture of our church building and cut it out, placed it on wood that was also cut the shape of the picture. Got that? Anyway, both of them are a little complicated but with the right tools are great gift/bazaar items.

Re: Bazaars - 09/09/03 04:46 PM

Thank you Dotsie, what wonderful ideas. We will use them I am sure. I love the wooden Church and
will let you know how that one goes.
Will see if someone does stained glass.
Thanks so much.
Maggie
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Bazaars - 09/09/03 05:15 PM

One thing I use to make for Christmas gifts was:

take one mailbox post (post only) the one that comes with a pointed end (like a pencil point at the end and is ONLY the post, no horizontal post)

paint it solid white

paint two black eyes on it

take about a 2 or 3" dole or small wooden rod and drill a whole inbetween the eyes for the nose (painted black too)

paint black round dots for a smile

put 4" doles out of each side OR EVEN JUST ONE SIDE for arms.

Put a knitted cap with a ball on the top of it on the head.

I ususally hung a wreath or a sign for one of the hands. I also only used ONE arm. It makes a great "welcome" type stand to put by your front door during the holiday seasons since it has a square base. You could make your own greeting sign to hang from it by printing something off of the computer and then pasting it on cardboard, then using a coathanger, fashion you a hanger for it! Also, I have made Santa's (which were more popular) too but they require using RED and White paint, more of a face and unless you know how to paint, it can be tricky. Hope this gives you a mental picture and is maybe something you can use! [Big Grin]

Re: Bazaars - 09/10/03 07:15 AM

Another idea that just popped up would be to take:

brightly colored paper and shape it into a cone

fill the paper with nuts

you can put ribbon around it
you can stamp the paper with logo's, smiley faces, christmas themes, thanksgiving..anything!

It is a fast, easy craft idea and the salty nuts can lead to you selling drinks too!

[ September 09, 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: jawjaw ]

Re: Bazaars - 09/10/03 04:15 AM

Thanks, Jawjaw love all the wonderful ideas. I do
love to do wooden stuff so that sounds like fun.
Also the paper and nuts is enticing.
Thanks again,
Maggie

Re: Bazaars - 09/13/03 03:35 PM

Maggie, just remembered something else our chuch has done to raise money. Someone took lots of pictures of our church. They photographed the gardens, stanied glass, the sanctuary, chapel, and other little churchy things. Thenthey had card made at Price Club with a little saying on the bottom and sold them in packs. They weren't the BEST quality in the world, but people bought them. [Wink]
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Bazaars - 10/23/03 06:03 AM

Can I add something? If people aren't sick of hearing me talk....

I have 13 or 15 people in the Newsroom that I work closely with... well I've got four kids too so I can't afford to buy gifts, not in that volume anyway.

So - what I did was similar to jawjaws but different. I took used file folders, cut them into semi-circles and made cones; then I spray adhesive on them and glittered them. THEN I filled them (and this may sound weird but it's not, REALLY) so I filled them with stuff I found on the street....I squirted hot-glue in them and then stuffed them full of bunches of those red berries, some sprigs of the bushes at my work that looked sort of ferny looking, and then I attached a little handle made of that thin wire with the little plastic stars wrapped around it... it's got tiny stars, comes in colors.. I don't know what it's called though. And then to finish them off I sprinkled that whitish-pinkish-bluish glitter (what do you call that stuff?) over the top. And then I made little cards and attached them to the wire at one corner.

There were little holiday thoughts, people hung them at their cubicles for close to the whole year...they dry well and looked beautiful.

Total cost? Under $10.. and they went over so well I made more for some of my girlfriends. It's the time and thought that counts. I still have one hanging in my living room. I love it.

Re: Bazaars - 10/23/03 09:06 AM

Great idea Dreamkate. We shall have to try it too.
The elves were really busy working today. I think there bazaar will be really nice.
Thanks,
Maggie

Re: Bazaars - 10/23/03 04:34 PM

Maggie, when is the bazaar? I'll be there! [Razz]

DK, I love your idea. I walk almost everyday and I love bringing the outdoors in. Always have fresh flowers, branches, berries, or something of that sort in the house. I'm not crafty, but I might be able to manage that one. [Wink]

Re: Bazaars - 10/23/03 06:04 PM

Hi Dotsie,
The Church bazaar is December 6. Should be fun as they always are. Lots of snowmen. Last weekend I picked up a lot of stuff and saw snowmen arms being made out of some of it.
A friend and I are doing one Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Love all the ideas in here and we are using some at both bazaars.
I bet you are crafty just bringing in the flowers and etc from outside is decorating.
Thanks,
Maggie

Re: Bazaars - 10/23/03 06:12 PM

Gee Dotsie thats exciting that you want to come..
I'll try to take some pictures later. Of course they consider all this top secret. [Roll Eyes] Not sure why they are letting my friend come except that she is very clever and creative.
We are working with boomerage women to eighty year olds. [Smile] They have been well trained by the former chairman.
Maggie

Re: Bazaars - 10/24/03 05:14 AM

My hoppy.... draggin' crap home from off the street...(see, that's the punch, and then I explain)... I drag birch limbs, funky chairs... mostly tree stuff I guess. And last year... man it was my coup...I found these probably 6 foot branches from some tree, I don't know what kind but they were all smooth and really curly, windey... really cool looking..but Joseph, my 15-yr. old, almost had a fit... "NO WAY MOM! You are NOT picking that crap up on my way to school! NO WAY!" .... Well, I'd been cruisin' them for days and was starting to get panic stricken that someone else might take them. So I shoved him out of my VW van a couple blocks shy of school and whipped a U-ie and went back and loaded em up.

Re: Bazaars - 10/24/03 05:15 AM

Well obviously my HOBBY, is not proofing things before I click 'send'.

Re: Bazaars - 10/24/03 05:21 AM

ha! I have to laugh DreamerKate cause you gave me a nice belly laugh with that one. However, I couldn't comment at all because I have too many boo boo's of my own! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Evie

Re: Bazaars - 10/24/03 04:34 PM

see when I read it, I thought you were hoppy from drinking punch...... [Big Grin]

I need to quit speed reading......