Poker card guard

Posted by: chickadee

Poker card guard - 09/19/08 05:10 PM

Here's my newest card guard that will go on Ebay sometime today. I have to change the ladybug's cards now that I see them close up. Thought I'd share what I do during the day...I play with clay...Life doesn't get any better than this.

This card guard is completely made from polymer clay and is all my own creation. I bake the clay after I create it to harden it. I sometimes painstakingly sand and varnish the pieces to a shine.

Card guards are what poker players use to protect their cards from being mucked or being taken by the dealer by mistake. They are regular poker chip size and the base is made to look similar to a real poker chip.
Mine are usually OOAK - 'one of a kind' and created with TLC. All are signed.

This one is called "Heads Up" The Bee and the Ladybug playing for 1st place. They are having a daisy of a time ha ha.
Any ideas for others are appreciated. I can put anything on a poker chip like base.

I'm thinking about a pumpkin and squash next....

Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Poker card guard - 09/19/08 05:13 PM

Chick, you are so talented! I absolutely love that! And it does sound fun. Maybe at our next boomer getaway, you can bring some clay and paint (we'll all chip in) and you can teach us how to make things. So cool!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Poker card guard - 09/19/08 09:34 PM

Very cute! Would you want to share any of your other creations? I recall seeing a photo of your table with several projects in the works. I was most impressed.

Have you ever made jewelry from that clay? I've seen it at festivals. I even bought some once while on vacation in Florida. The beads are pastel colors and whenever I wear them, someone comments about how much they like the jewelry.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Poker card guard - 09/20/08 11:23 PM

Chickadee, these are so cool! I especially love the tiny playing cards held by the bee. It shows a sense of humor as well as your obvious artistic talent. smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Poker card guard - 09/20/08 11:30 PM

Cute! Looking forward to your future creations!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Poker card guard - 09/21/08 05:17 AM

I bet these will sell Chick! Good luck, and hope you can keep up with the orders!
Posted by: gims

Re: Poker card guard - 09/21/08 05:56 AM

That is simply adorable, chick! and oh so clever!