Stained Glass Window Art- Europe

Posted by: orchid

Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 05:31 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this topic..but this place seemed the best category. Some thoughts and photos on subject.

I'm sure BWS members in Europe have seen some terrific stuff. Your area might have something useful to share with all. Stained glass
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 06:06 AM

Orchid, great story and wonderful photos! When we visited Ireland, we were awestruck by all the detailed stained glass in cathedrals. It's so amazing how much work and time all of that took to make, and how it has held up so well over the years.

Do you ever feel like putting your brief stained glass education to use, and make something now?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 12:49 PM

I've always loved stained glass windows, since I was a very young child sitting at the back of a huge church. I couldn't see anything else except the windows, so would spend the hour studying whichever ones were closest to us.

I tried to take pictures of sgw everywhere we've traveled, but my camera (er, my photographical skills) don't do them justice. I did post some in my Facebook page.

I've long wanted to get into doing stained glass artwork myself, but we've never lived anywhere with space to set myself up. It's still something I hope to do...if we ever move, I'm insisting on some "studio space".

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 12:57 PM

This is one of the few that turned out relatively ok...I took it in Prague.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 03:07 PM

Eagle, it's one of the same photos I have in my little automatic slideshow in the blog entry that I posted at the beginning of this thread.

from St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague.
Top part of the windown turned out abit clearer than mine. I do have some close-ups of several windows there...

Yes, there has to be the right working area to make stained glass. One of them is preferable a concrete, stone floor for shattered/broken glass/glass shards. So that one can sweep up the mess later. Have you taken a course, Eagle?

Given the long, long history of European stained glass art, they have magnificent stuff there.

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 06:33 PM

Orchid, your pictures are so much clearer than any I was able to take of stained glass windows. They're beautiful.

I never have taken any art courses. When I was working, I was too busy, working a lot of overtime and with various church/volunteer activities. And living in a tiny apartment on a limited budget put most courses out of my budget range.

Now that I have the time and money, I still don't have space, LOL. The house is comfortable enough for just the two of us, but as hard as we've tried to create an artistic nook, it just won't work yet. Maybe when we renovate the smallest spare bedroom next year...
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 06:41 PM

Beautiful!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/18/10 07:45 PM

Edelweiss
my daughter will be in Munich to fly home this week.she is at present in Austria..being 2010 the Passion play at Oberammergau is the main venue..Have you seen the Passion experience..
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/20/10 12:12 AM

Gorgeous Orchid, I imagined I could almost hear the angels singing...
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/20/10 11:58 AM

MA, no I haven't seen it. You have to reserve here at least 2-3 years ahead. I can't think further than 5 months, lol,...so I have never reserved tickets.
It's supposed to be quite moving.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/20/10 01:33 PM

My parents went about 10 years ago. They were quite impressed.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Stained Glass Window Art- Europe - 07/20/10 02:43 PM

Will hear about this tomorrow ladies..she is my travel scout..
she is asked to talk about her trips to a Friday group...all ladies
who then ask her to repeat her presentation at different venues..
there must have been a wandering star in her genes..

your parents Anno.. how good they did this too.
EW One day ?