Total BUMMER!!!

Posted by: chatty lady

Total BUMMER!!! - 10/01/07 02:31 AM

Get ready because as of Oct. 1st. ALL cell phone numbers are being made available to Telemarketing Compamy's and WE will be CHARGED for these pesky and possibly expensive calls....Heres a number to eliminate these calls for 5 years.

(888) 382-1222 Hopefully this number will work for us all.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/01/07 03:34 AM

Chats,
According to http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall and the Federal Trade Commission, this is not the case. It says on their page that you can register your cell phones, but it is against the law for automated telemarketers to call your cells. Here's what it says:

Cell Phones
You may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. Federal Communications Commission regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers.

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/01/07 04:45 AM

ps--notice this says AUTOMATED calls. I'm with you, I registered my cell anyway....That way, I'm covered.

Its one of those CYA thangs...you know?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/01/07 05:27 PM

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. It's bad enough when they call the house. Some things are getting out of control.
Posted by: Casey

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/01/07 11:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder to do this!
Casey
Posted by: hotflashgal

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/02/07 12:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up Chatty.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/02/07 12:43 AM

I did mine a couple of years ago...I don't want to be bothered!
Posted by: Katrinka

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/02/07 12:32 PM

Thanks for the link, Chatty! I hate it even when I get text messages from my cell phone company about special offers. Wish I could stop those as well. LOL!

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/02/07 01:55 PM

Your cell phone company sends you text messages? Good grief! Can't you request that they don't do that? I've had Verizon and I've had Cingular, but neither one have ever done that. I would be so upset if they did. I hate junk like that!
Posted by: hotflashgal

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/02/07 09:58 PM

I get text messages from my cell phone carrier too! Total pain in the butt!

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/03/07 08:40 AM

There are two ways to stop being charged, three if you count listing your number on the no call list. BUT tonight I learned that there are cell phones you can purchase, kind of like throw away cameras, only you keep these, and buy certain amounts of time, say 120 minutes or more, or less, and pay up front. These have no server to text you and you can opt to not have auto answer when the phone isn't turned on. Or another way is to not have auto answer at all on your cell phone you have now, people can always call back. Now the way you get charged is if you or your auto answer picks up the call. I am canceling my auto answer tomorrow. PLus you'll save money. My detective friend told me about this tonight at dinner...Of course I would share with all of you...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/03/07 11:30 AM

I never thought about auto answer. So what happens if you turn that off? Do they get your message, or does it just keep ringing and then you can see recent calls?
Posted by: c1indy

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/27/07 12:30 AM

Whenever I receive an APB, I go to snopes.com to see if it is valid. And,the alert regarding cell phone telemarketing long with the 800 number appears to be false.

I recommend everyone use this site to check out all alerts, especially if you receive an email from a good source, but see it was forward for the tenth time from someone with a few thousand best friends.

There are ways companies are getting around telemarketing, even to our land lines. I guess everyone has to make a living.

Re: Total BUMMER!!! - 10/27/07 01:43 AM

I dropped my auto answer from my cell phone. If anyone calls it rings then a voice says, "the party you have called is unavailable, please try again." And no you are NOT charged for those calls...

My home phone just rings if I am not there to answer it. If its important they can call back...or if its busy they know I'm there and can still call back. I am there a good deal of the time anyway.