Another one bites the dust

Posted by: Dianne

Another one bites the dust - 04/10/07 01:59 PM

What was Don Imus thinking with his horrible, racist remarks? I can't believe someone in his position would call young, female, basketball players nappy-haired ho's.

Do you think two weeks suspension is enough. Like Michael from Seinfeld, he apologized but how can you ever go back and pretend it wasn't said and the attitude that goes along with those words?

This just floors me.
Posted by: jabber

He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 02:36 PM

Dianne,
I believe guys like Imus get caught up in their own importance and just mouth off. To start, it's my opinion that NO female should be called a [ho]! That's degrading and disrespectful. Where do men get such high and might attitudes to be calling women names? I can think of few unflattering descriptions for the male gender. And I'm sure you could, too. But ladies are much kinder than that.
Ciao for now,
b. rose
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 02:45 PM

The remark was senseless and stupid.

But quite honestly, I've never heard of this guy. Somehow that makes me happy.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 04:52 PM

Imus is a jerk. He should have been kicked off the air completely. He has a tv show on msnbc, I think. He used to be a DJ in NY. I never cared for him.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 05:47 PM

I never heard of him either...JJ and I must not get out much!...but I agree...a totally stupid remark...
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 05:59 PM

I think he should be canned. There is no excuse for a radio host to speak like that in this day and age and get away with it. I'm hoping the people who sponsor his show pull out. That's what it will take for him to lose his job. Unfortuantely, it's often about money.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 08:15 PM

I guess the network is going to let his listeners decide. After his suspension if the ratings go down, he's history. I hope he leaves. He's arrogant.
Posted by: NewLeaf

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/10/07 10:34 PM

I've never heard of him. What cracks me up is that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson had to jump on it...they are hopeless!

I don't agree with anyone calling another person names...but in all fairness, you should hear what my sisters here at work call eachother!!! Its hilarious! I sit in the middle of all of them and enjoy every minute.

They call each other a LOT worse than that, however, no excuse for airing that kind of nonsense.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/11/07 04:16 AM

well at lest he got a sespension that something,,,,but way out of line to be promoting that ideal on air, its sad and shocking...i hate this kinda stuff
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/11/07 07:43 PM

I heard on the news this morning that sponsors are withdrawing from the show. This is what it will take.
Posted by: Josie

Re: Another one bites the dust - 04/11/07 08:12 PM

I'm familiar with Imus as a shock jock and do not usually listen to him as he rubs me the wrong way. His recent remarks are indeed racist and worthy of severe public humiliation for the man. That being said, I'm going the non-PC route and comment that Al Sharpton has got some nerve chastising Imus when he himself has been an avid racist for decades (Remember the Tawana Brawley debacle?)... In a culture where many celebrate N-word gangsta lyrics, do we really have a right to call for Imus to be tarred & feathered REPEATEDLY for going over the top, something he has been doing daily for many many years???

Don Imus makes his living mostly talking shock, then gets back to mostly working with disabled kids and wounded veterans without regard to race creed or color.

He or she who has NEVER uttered something ugly....cast the first stone.
Posted by: jabber

I meant high-and-mighty attitude... - 04/11/07 08:27 PM

My above post should've said [high-and-mighty] attitude!
Sometimes I don't catch those typing errors. Diane said it, "He's arrogant." And he is. But that "ho" phraseology
just turns my stomach. I wish all the sponsors would pull out, GE, etc., etc.
Why are mouths like Imus so popular?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/11/07 09:47 PM

Imus has a big thoughtless mouth and has leveled his arrogant, insulting comments against many many people in the past with little censorship. BUT to call young women athletes, good students and decent human beings, Nappy Headed Ho's....makes me sick to my stomach. He went too far! Who is he trying to emulate, filty mouthed Howard Stern? He should be fired, plain and simple. I pesonally took the time and wrote to the station saying that as a good Christian, WHITE women, I was embarrassed he was a white man. This kind of thing should never be tolerated, no matter who the perpetrator is. Don Imus uses his power and celebrity to harm those he feels are 'less' than he is, and thats most everyone. What a horrific example his words were to our young people.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/12/07 03:38 PM

You're right Chatty. His statement was thoughtless. To just throw out a blanket statement like that without any knowledge of the individuals he was tarring with the same brush, is irresponsible.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/12/07 05:07 PM

Quote:

I guess the network is going to let his listeners decide. After his suspension if the ratings go down, he's history. I hope he leaves. He's arrogant.

Rosie on "The View" agreed with letting listeners decide this morning, when she disagreed with MSNBC-TV bowing to pressure of advertisers and national ethnic groups by firing Imus. Rosie said although Imus's remarks were despicable, the public should be the final determinant of the Imus show.

This morning on MSNBC, when reporter David Gregory asked Black Entertainment Television station founder Robert Johnson why it is okay for people on BET to use the N-word and say derogatory things about Jews, Caucasians and other groups, Johnson responded by saying that his channel fostered "creative freedom" and "artistic expression," which in his opinion is totally different from the Imus format.

I guess the double standard and its thought police are alive and well. I never thought I'd be agreeing with Rosie about shock jock Don Imus, both of whom I find offensive much of the time.

I'm a little young to remember the McCarthy era, but guess what: it's back!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/12/07 05:38 PM

I neither have heard of him...nor understand what the remarks mean..,
We all speak English but obviously I need a translation.
Here....many I have heard people calling others "a stupid or other word "Git" .Old Scots tells me the a Git is a Get...Another name for a Fatherless child(known Father that is.Many who use it don't understand the old meaning...Because I do I find that objectional.
Mountain ash

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/12/07 06:33 PM

It was when the sponsors starting pulling out that they cut part of his show. GM, American Express, etc. so I don't think it was public pressure as much as losing money. He brought in over eight million in ads.
Posted by: Dee

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/12/07 06:49 PM

YEAH!!! Someone not afraid to stand up for what's wrong. I'm thrilled Imus got pulled. I've seen him on TV but never listened to him...(I was channel surfing). I'm glad that he wants to apologize but when someone says "I'm not a bigot or prejudice"...and then says what he did...I'm sorry, but you are. You can't say something like he did and not be. Just my view.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 04:56 AM

I agree with Josie on this one. Racism and sexism are despicable, regardless of which race and gender they come from.

Jessie Jackson who called New York "Hymie Town" is upset about someone else's language?? Al Sharpton, who would use anything whatsoever (including lies) to jump on TV and scream about racism?

Racism is bad. Hypocrisy and double standards are equally bad.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 11:56 AM

This morning Al Sharpton (who retains the title of "Reverend" despite his long history of intense bigotry) stated, "WE are going to be watching THEM from now on. No one is going to be given a pass..."

Now that WE are being watched by the team of Sharpton & Jackson, who, once notified, can whip up a national ethnic "victim" firestorm at the drop of a hat, I guess we better watch our backs. Our jobs could be next. Most of the girls at Rutgers had never even heard of geezer Don Imus before S & J announced to the media and students that they were pathetic victims of white society of whom they felt Don Imus is a prominent spokesperson. (He is not) S & J were relentlessly threatening sponsors of the Imus show, until CBS and NBC felt a heightened need to remove themselves from the tempest in a teapot by removing Imus from their coat tails.

I do not worry that Don Imus and his arrogant but philanthropic self will find a new path on satellite radio. More power to him. What concerns me is the damage S & J did to 1) portray these young women as victims (they are not) and 2) over the course of JUST A FEW DAYS, S & J persuaded the public consciousness and commercial enterprise that we have a national crisis on our hands, which could only be resolved if Imus's head was hung on the nearest pole. The real danger is that so many fell for it.

I don't know about you boomer women, but I for one am concerned that one segment of society can freely celebrate skin color as more than just a color, openly use racism, exploit women, disrespect authority etc, all under the guise of "We can because we're victims, you can't because you're not." The rest of us watch silently and wonder if Martin Luther King meant this as the definition of freedom in "I HAVE A DREAM."
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 12:14 PM

I've watched Imus for a few minutes every now and then as I channel-surfed and if he had an interesting guest. I could never take more than a few because Imus is such a hateful mean-spirited person. It made me cringe.

I believe that a "good person" does not become a nasty mean person only to make money. If you're a good person, you are also decent in your job. Imus's wife is probably the "good person" in that family.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 01:35 PM

I'm waiting for Sharpton and Jackson to apologize to the Duke boys who they crucified on the airwaves.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 03:35 PM

Dianne,
I go with that one and those boys were not guilty and those families what they went thourgh . I went with a boy years ago from Duke . Nice guy ......

Renee

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 11:14 PM

Josie, I couldn't have expressed it better. My sentiments exactly! I've always cringed when Jessee Jackson and Al Sharpton are referred to as "reverend". I've known a lot of reverends in my lifetime and neither of them qualify in my opinion.

Frankly I believe we have gone completely full circle and the racial tables are completely turned. The overriding opinion of black girls I work with is, "If he had been a black man saying those things, he would have been fired immediately."

I wake up in the am with nappy hair....so what?? I've been lovingly and teasingly called a "ho". To answer MountaiAsh's question, a "ho" in popular vernacular means a prostitute but really it means a hottie, a loose woman, a sassy woman, a gutsy woman a woman with attitude a lot like the women on Sex In the City.

I don't see the problem, frankly.

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/13/07 11:49 PM

Have you all seen the Geico commercial with the Cavemen? I love Geico commercials anyway, but this one just isn't very funny to me.

The reason I brought it up is to point out how ridiculously sensitive we have become in the US to words and opinions.

While ugliness isn't appropriate or acceptable, its like the word police are lurking around every corner. Words were meant for expression of ideas. Believe me, Eubonics are very descriptive. I hear it every night and I'm not supposed to be offended?!

All I hear about are how frivilous white girls are and what "ho's" all of them are and how stupid and how we don't have spirit and attitude like black women do."

I hear it all the time yet I don't jump on the race bandwagon and use it as an excuse for non performance or just plain social civility.
Posted by: DJ

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 02:42 AM

I've been following this news item, and have discussed it in class with my students. I think that it's appropriate that people be sensitive about words and opinions. Words have a spirit and have a power to create, destroy, and fashion social reality, so I don't think we're overreacting.

I also think that there's a line between free speech and hate speech.

But still I see this case as something slightly different than either.

This isn't the first time that Imus said the same thing about a women's basketball team. He's the original shock jock, and has been making money for his station for many years. Similarly, rap music makes money for whatever station. Here's the difference: People who heard Imus complained to the station, and the head honcho at CBS found out about it. Advertisers were pressured. So the station was in danger of losing money.

But the audience for for rap music is mostly suburban, middle-class white boys. Can you imagine _them_ complaining to the station about bad language? Never! so the advertisers aren't worried about losing that target.

The real issue is this: The public ultimately still owns the radio waves. Don Imus has become very rich from our airwaves. There are plenty of more responsible, intelligent people in the world besides him who could create a decent radio program, so who needs him?
Posted by: smilinize

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 03:21 AM

I never watched Imus anyway. His whole program seemed to be nothing but a hate fest. I think his language was deplorable, but I am opposed to any form of speech police and I think his employer had every right to protect the advertiser dollars that keep his business alive. Whether advertisers would truly have been affected is open for discussion, but I think they feared it and pulled the plug on Imus.

I see what happened to the Duke La Crosse team as much worse. Those boys lost one of the most important years of their life and it was all for nothing but a political campaign. The D.A. who attempted to railroad them should not only be disbarred, he should be prosecuted.

There are so many wrongs in the world. God must be even more disgusted with it all than we are.
smile

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 03:52 AM

I agree Smile. Where do we draw the line of expression, though? For one a word would mean something and to another it would mean something entirely different.

What a dicotomy our world is. We can't agree on many things at all, so why would we agree on the interpretation of words??

On the one hand relativism reigns...no ultimate truths, no right or wrong, just what is right for one or another but no ultimate truth.

Yet, a word earns a permanent description even though it may not mean the same thing to me as it does for someone else. So where is relativism where race and words are concerned??

Maybe we should just go back to grunting, but then someone would take offense to the tone of your grunt or the look from your eyes or the way you hold your body when you grunt.

I have no use for the radio show host. I don't care how much money he makes off of being rude and stupid. However, he has the right in this country to make his money any way he likes as long as it is legal, right?

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 08:35 PM

Quote:

...But the audience for for rap music is mostly suburban, middle-class white boys. Can you imagine _them_ complaining to the station about bad language? Never! so the advertisers aren't worried about losing that target.

The real issue is this: The public ultimately still owns the radio waves. Don Imus has become very rich from our airwaves. There are plenty of more responsible, intelligent people in the world besides him who could create a decent radio program, so who needs him?

For DJ, her students, and interested parties to ponder:

On the morning of April 12, MSNBC reporter David Gregory asked Black Entertainment Television station founder Robert Johnson why it is okay for people on BET to use the N-word and say derogatory things about Jews, Caucasians and other groups, Johnson responded by saying that his channel fostered "creative freedom" and "artistic expression," which in his opinion is totally different from the Imus format.

After MSNBC fired Imus, CBS did the same. Apparently the team of Sharpton & Jackson applied great pressure to sponsors and we all know "he who controls the gold controls the airwaves."

That being said, CBS OWNS BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION, which allows the routine use of all forms of bigotry under the guise of poetic license. Sharpton and Jackson have said FOR YEARS they will be looking into the issue of racist practices by BET. I suspect the reason they are dragging their own feet on CBS-owned BET racism practices has to do with the double standard we saw applied this week.

Since CBS allowed two prominent bigots, who threatened commercial sponsors with massive product boycotts, to lead the downfall of the always-controversial Don Imus, I wonder how long it will take the public to notice that CBS continues the highly offensive BET format. I'd say the real issue continues to be the double standard we boomers have been subjected to for decades now.

And let's not forget the heart of the matter: He who has the gold, makes the rules. We idealists would like to think otherwise, but the reality of this week speaks for itself.
Posted by: DJ

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 10:07 PM

Well, New Leaf, that's what I was saying -- that when the audience objects, action is taken. The black audience who were offended by Imus complained in large numbers, and he was canned. The audience of black rap videos isn't expressing offense, and probably aren't offended, so the audvertisers aren't going to pull out, and the station isn't going to lose money. The public doesn't really care about CBS per se, but only how it affects them personally. If the _parents_ of the white suburban boys complained (and could prove that they were able to prevent their sons from watching VH1) then perhaps the advertisers would respond.

And I continue to disagree with what Smile says about whoever has the money gets to control the airwaves. The public ultimately has the money -- en masse we have the power and the broadcast air spectrum continues to be public property. It's not okay with me that the networks have continued to control the broadcast spectrum since 1926.

Finally, hate speech is just one of many many kinds of speech not protected by the First Amendment. The "Speech police" have been with us all along.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: He wasn't thinking... - 04/14/07 11:33 PM

Well, I guess I am putting my foot in my mouth again, but what about Russ Limball ? He contines to bash the Demacarts an any thing policial with this party . He has gotten away with a lot on the airways .Only thing they could get him on was drugs and he is still back on the air again . I find what he says very afensive and when I went to my friends house that is all she had on the radio and I told her I disagreeded with his so called polical views . Freedom of speech bashing the polical party that you don't like .

Only a matter of time with him .