Contest ideas please

Posted by: Dotsie

Contest ideas please - 08/26/08 08:12 PM

I have growing stacks of books I'd love to use as give aways for forum contests, but I'm having a hard time coming up with contests that would be for the forums only, and wouldn't take too much time to judge.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/26/08 08:37 PM

How about giving away a book a week (for a month, say) to the person who:

1. Brings in the most new members (cannot be old members returning)
2. Starts a topic on something that has never been discussed and CAN be discussed (no ugly stuff, you know?)
3. The people who post something, anything, even replies, EVERY DAY for one solid week. They must have a SHOWING on here for one week, every day. (In this case you could be giving away a lot of books)
4. To the person who does the BEST and GOODEST (I know, it's not a word) DEED to someone this week.

Okay, that's four....anybody else?
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/26/08 10:43 PM

topic... What is the nicest thing someone has done for you in your lifetime?

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/26/08 10:59 PM

I can't put that in print....BAWHAHAHAH...ahem..ahem.
Posted by: gims

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 12:06 AM

AYYYYYYYYY, JJ, I can't get the image that popped in, out of my head!

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 12:32 AM

Geeze, ya'll crack me up!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 02:46 AM

HOw about if you ask members for a quote (of their own) and then the rest of us have to figure out who said it? The one who gets the most of them right wins...?

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 04:19 PM

chick, that monkey is hilarious! a keeper.

* is some type of a lottery legal, instead of numbers - boomer terms?
* how 'bout boomer riddles
* a boomer who done it, with boomer clues
* passwords - boomer terms
* post an image with hidden boomer items and whoever finds them all, wins - remember the "find the items" page in the kids magazine, "Highlights"

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 04:21 PM

*scavenger hunt with boomer women items... pretty much need the polling feature for this, I think

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 05:23 PM

Just a reminder, it has to be semething that is easily decided, something that won't take time to track. Know what I mean?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/27/08 05:55 PM

Gee I love the contest idea but DO NOT need one more book coming into this house. I have a library now to get rid of, some never even opened.

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/28/08 01:00 AM

How about auctions? Swaps? White Elephants?

I hate the thought of you having to pay postage. Media Mail has gotten so high. For a 13oz. or lighter it costs $2.23 (base media mail). You can send it first class cheaper, sometimes - if the book is lighter weight, but I haven't gotten below $1.85 that way.

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/28/08 01:12 AM

You have a white elephant to swap, Gims? Wow...

Whattt?

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/28/08 05:39 PM

Gims, you can send books and papers fourth class, schoolbook rate and it is cheapest of all... I always say its a schoolbook.

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/28/08 05:40 PM

Oh I should have said 4th. class does take longer getting there. They send them by old retired pack mules I think, LOL!!!

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/28/08 07:41 PM

I must not understand the categories then. I was of the understanding that media mail is 3rd class, unless the weight is over 16oz (I messed up above and put 13oz), at which time it becomes 4th class media mail. There is a library rate, which is cheaper, but it has to be between libraries. And there's the bound printed matter category. I send my books media mail, because they do open packages nowadays, as periodic audits. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. If there is a cheaper way, I'd love to use it. I mail a lot of books.

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/31/08 01:40 AM

How about a CAPTION Contest?

Like take these picture below...I love what they say! We could find a picture and then have everyone submit a caption for it. I did that one time with my site and had tons of entries. TONS!

or this one

Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/31/08 01:32 PM

JJ, I think that's a fun idea! I love the wit and humour of the women here and would thoroughly enjoy hearing what ingenious captions would emerge.

Would we be able to see the captions here or would they be submitted directly to you or Dotsie? Wouldn't that be a lot of work for you? Or is it possible to get the community at large to vote for, say the top five (the number of winners could be based on how many books Dotsie wants to get rid of, ex, 2 books each.)

Anyway, I like the idea of a caption contest.

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/31/08 01:38 PM

I really dunno at this point. I'm just throwing it out on the table for the Dotster to look over. I suppose we would post a picture HERE and everyone would send their caption to Dotsie (or me if she wanted) and she would pick the best one, or ones, depending on how many books she wanted to give away.

I have tons of pic's...so giving her one for the contest would be a walk in the park...ah...make that folder...a walk in the folder...LOL!

Laughter surely makes us take intermission. It gives us pause and helps us to smile, giggle, or guffaw. I truly believe that is why I'm so healthy...I laugh every day...course then again, I do my own cooking and hair (not at the same time)...what's not to laugh at?

Re: Contest ideas please - 08/31/08 10:10 PM

Remember the contest you had with the captions under the pictures JJ? It was a success and some of trhe entries were so funny, I won a prize too if I remember correctly...
Posted by: orchid

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/04/08 05:51 AM

Best boomer women haiku about boomer women concerns, growing up, etc.
Have to post the format of haiku as a reminder. smile

Allow each person if they wish, to post up to 2 different haiku.

Give a deadline of the weekend or 1 wk. But we should be notified 1 wk. in advance.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/04/08 06:35 AM

Maybe Dee from Minniepause could give us one of her uncaptioned pictures and we could caption it.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/04/08 06:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Georgia and I will mull them over and get one started next week.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/06/08 09:23 AM

chick, your PM box is full... or so it's telling me.
Do you have this one?

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/10/08 05:37 PM

The latest contest is posted in the Forum Announcement forum.

Hurry, you can win books by simply sending us a caption for a photo. It's easy and it's fun, and it's free.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/16/08 09:18 PM

There is a local call in radio show that has been rnning the same kind of contest for a long time now and people seem to loove it. He asks for the first 10 ansers to a question and whoever has the most of ten, wins a prize...The questions are like the 1o best TV sitcome before 1985. Or the ten handsomest leading men between 1950 and 1960. The 5 wealthiest destinations to travel to. The state with the 3 biggest waterfalls. He finds the answers on some website for his questions... Just a thought!

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/16/08 11:11 PM

The only thing about people doing this kind of "hunt" for the answer thing is that if it is the FIRST one to respond gets the prize, not everyone can be on the net all the time like us netters. Even if there was a deadline, that could mean that everyone could find the answers and there can only be one winner. So how would you determine WHO won?

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/17/08 12:54 AM

They have to be the first CORRECT answers he is looking for. The questions are hard and not easily found, believe me I have tried. But its just a suggestion in answer to the request. I never win anyway, and the last thing I need is another book, yuk!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/30/08 06:36 PM

I have an idea!

How about a contest where we all vote ourselves. For example, every one can submit a short story of, let’s say; 150 words. Topic is open. In the end, every one who submitted has to vote for the best story; and of course is not allowed to give herself a vote. It should be based on the most readable, sellable, and entertainable…(I just had to say that.)
The votes are sent to JJ or Dotsie. The winner gets her story published in BWS.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/30/08 08:27 PM

Great idea but shouldn't the story have a theme?

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/30/08 08:47 PM

I was just thinking along the entertainment line. Like which story is most entertaining; or just plain grabs you the most.

Re: Contest ideas please - 09/30/08 09:23 PM

Well....here's the thing. We were looking for contest that were simple in nature, and that don't take up a lot of time. The documents/essays would, I'm afraid.

So think short and sweet. Oh how bout that? I just described ME!

LOL!

Whatttttt?

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/01/08 04:48 AM

That was my point, JJ. You wouldn't have to read the documents/ essays; the gals in the forum would do that, and then submit their votes to you.

Actualy this isn't my idea. I have joined a photography site, (thanks to your advice, gals), and this is what they do. The members vote on the pictures they like best. (Hey, by the way.... I got quite a few votes allready. cool) The winner gets to be photographer of the month, and then eventually year...Many of these photographers are approached by big time magazines. Plus it's cool to get the recognition from your peers.

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/01/08 06:18 PM

See, we told you!!! Good luck with your photos winning. They are nmagnificient whether they win or not.

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/02/08 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Edelweiss2
That was my point, JJ. You wouldn't have to read the documents/ essays; the gals in the forum would do that, and then submit their votes to you.

I'm going to sound like a big old meanie here so please don't hurt me...but I have to say that the point of it all is that it doesn't take much time (trust me, we work very hard), and that entries are sent to Dotsie (this way, more new people join the forums and join in the fun) and that it's quick and dirty...you know? There are a lot of people who aren't writers who might join in the fun if it were just a caption or two...but it would limit the number of entries if they thought they had to write something.

If only a few people voted, or if there was a tie, we would still have to be the ultimate say-so.

Put down that gun...help! Eeeeek! Help! EW is shooting at me! Lola! Chatty! Someeeeebody! Help! <Queen picks up royal robes and takes off running at break-neck speed...okay, maybe not break-neck, but a trot...anyway>

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/02/08 01:27 PM

Shooting at you JJ? Eeeehaaaaa…you’re too fast for me, honey! Why I see you way over the hoizon, your robes blowing in the wind, laughing. Laughing? You laughing at my pop gun, with the flag saying; bang bang?

Oh and as for getting the point. Yes, I got the point. It sure ain’t easy pleasing the queen. Okay,….now I’m running!
grin

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/02/08 01:57 PM

I'll be posting the winners (a tie) to the last caption contest in a little bit. I'm posting form the den on my lap top. When I get in the office, I'll give you the captions and the winners. I'll keep you on the edge of your seats...

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/18/08 09:20 PM

I love the caption contest, and there are an abundance of pictures that can be used that really makes us think and use our imaginations. What fun!

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/19/08 01:20 PM

Thanks chatty. Have you submitted yet? This month we have cats. Right up your alley.

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/19/08 06:48 PM

Alley cats? Sorry couldn't resist.
I am still laughing at the Queen running a break neck trot.

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/19/08 09:36 PM

I submitted right away to the one with the two cats standing on the potty looking out the window.

I never saw who won the scraggly old lady one, and somehow missed the one of Grocho Marks???

Is there a new picture to caption weekly or monthly?

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/27/08 06:48 PM

Where is the contest thread? I'm so lost.

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/27/08 07:02 PM

....here tis.

CONTEST

Re: Contest ideas please - 10/27/08 07:25 PM

Thanky.

Re: Contest ideas please - 02/01/09 10:12 PM

Are we going to have any more of those 'name the photo' contests, they are really fun.

Re: Contest ideas please - 02/02/09 09:34 PM

I'm thinking of another contest that has to do with writing. I'll get back to you on this.
Posted by: Rachel2

Re: Contest ideas please - 05/26/09 07:53 PM

Chatty, send me what you dont want,,, lol I have wanted to build a mini library for myself since FOREVER. I love being surrounded by books.