HELP THIS WOMAN OUT

Posted by: Candice Johnson

HELP THIS WOMAN OUT - 11/09/02 12:44 AM

Go to www.oprah.com and click on the box to help Amina Lawal. She is a Nigerian woman sentenced to be stoned to death for having a baby out of wed lock. On the site there is a Take Action box where you electronically send a letter to the Nigerian Ambassador telling him that this punishment is inhumane and goes against international human rights laws.
Posted by: boomersis

Re: HELP THIS WOMAN OUT - 11/11/02 01:26 AM

This is very sad! I sent my letter today. Thanks for the information.
Posted by: nillawafer

Re: HELP THIS WOMAN OUT - 12/02/02 06:31 AM

sent my letter tonight. thanks.
Posted by: laxmom247

Re: HELP THIS WOMAN OUT - 12/04/02 12:21 AM

Just wanted you all to know, I just found out about Amina--see below, It is from the Oprah Web site! It may not be the end of the story, but it is a great beginning. I think everyone needs to realize that we can make a difference! this is very inspiring.

"An Update on Amina's Story
We asked for at least one million e-mails to help save Amina's life, and the response was amazing. Over 1.2 million of you logged on to help! And you made a difference—while the law has not officially changed, the Nigerian government has publicly announced that they will not enforce any stoning sentences handed down by the religious court. While there is no written guarantee, the government has made several assurances that they will not be carrying out Amina's sentence. However, there is concern that vigilantes might take the stoning into their own hands, which means that Amina and others sentenced to stoning remain vulnerable without full protection of the law."