AuthorHouse Pay Day

Posted by: Princess Lenora

AuthorHouse Pay Day - 03/04/05 09:28 PM

Hi, Prill, Sigrid, and anyone else with AuthorHouse: do you ever question that the quarterly reports are honest and accurate? It seems that my checks are always smaller than anticipated. For the last quarter, my check was a whopping $16.00. For all the people that say they've read my book, it makes me wonder. Anyone else? LLL
Posted by: Louisa

Re: AuthorHouse Pay Day - 03/06/05 03:36 AM

Lynn,
I know someone who recently self-published his book through Authorhouse. One of the writer's in my group did a book review on the book for the newspaper. This person paid $5300 for 4 books and a few doo-dads. No editing or marketing, as you know. His book is in a local bookstore here, but I'm sure that was his doing. He's a prominent figure here. From what I've been reading on the forums and what I've heard from a few people I know who did this, it sounds like a big rip-off to me. What are they getting paid to actually do?
Louisa
Posted by: Dianne

Re: AuthorHouse Pay Day - 03/06/05 04:18 AM

Lynn, find a way to check our their financials. There has to be some way you can audit them. That doesn't make any sense. Have you questioned them about this? Of course if you do, it will alert them. I think this really sucks!
Posted by: Sigrid Macdonald

Re: AuthorHouse Pay Day - 03/07/05 10:53 AM

Lynn - $16? That's crazy. They said they owe me $246 or something BUT they want to withhold 30% in tax. I told them there's a tax treaty with Canada that says they can't withhold more than 15%, but I never heard back from them. Plus, I haven't been paid yet and I can't do my taxes without their forms! They are so frustrating to work with :-(

Yeah, must be some way to check up on them. Good luck!
S.
Posted by: Sigrid Macdonald

Re: AuthorHouse Pay Day - 03/08/05 08:42 AM

Lynn, I've been thinking about your situation. It just doesn't make any sense especially if you have an Amazon rating that shows that your books are selling.

In the past, when I've had problems with AH, I would call my Representative and ask who her supervisor was. Then I would say that I would like to speak to that person's supervisor! I tried to get to the top of the ladder and several times, that did resolve the issue.

If you ever want to talk about this on e-mail, write to me at sigrid@primus.ca . There are some things about the publishing company that I'm just not comfortable talking about in a public forum :-) You understand. Best, Sigrid