Your Inner Research

Posted by: Dianne

Your Inner Research - 11/13/04 11:21 PM

Did my title grab ya?

For those of you who were actually adults in 1989 [Razz] do you happen to remember what year Caller ID came into being? If I remember correctly, I had voice mail in 1991 but for the life of me, I can't remember when Caller ID came on the scene. Also, what year did all of you actively begin to use a computer for something other than keeping books, etc?

This is in the writing thread because I need it for my screenplay. Rather than do all that work myself, I thought I'd bug you. Lazy, I know. [Big Grin]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Your Inner Research - 11/14/04 12:12 AM

First computer I ever saw and used was at The Las vegas Sun Newspaper back in 1981. Then again from 1982 to 1985 in DC at The Washington Times Newspaper. I didn't even see another one up close [Confused] until a year and a half ago when I bought my lap-top. Hard to believe I used an electric typewriter until then, yuk! Don't know about the phone stuff but I bet your local phone company could tell you...
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Your Inner Research - 11/14/04 02:24 AM

I'd been around computers since 1980, 81 but they were mainframes. I used mainframes through 1987, 88, and then I saw my first PC in 1988. We started using them on a regular basis at work. Been on a PC ever since.

Don't know exactly when Caller ID came into being. I'm thinking early 90s?