Style Books

Posted by: Candice Johnson

Style Books - 02/07/03 06:31 AM

I was wondering if any writers out there had an opinion on style books? Do you use one? Several? Do you only check a few things? Do you think their too rigid?

I use Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" I find it provides good guidance on the rules of language and structure without restrictions, plus it is easier to read than some of the others.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: countrygirl51

Re: Style Books - 02/07/03 06:53 PM

I sometimes refer to style books when I run into a problem in my writing, but I do not use them for the entire piece. Since my writing comes basically from the heart, I find it easier to just write as it comes, then let it sit for a few days and review it and edit later.
When I use style books, my writing seems more stilted and forced. Often my best stories are those that just write themselves from a single opening line. Its like a pilot that flies "by the seat of his pants." It can be dangerous, but it is less mechanical and a lot more fun.
Now if I were writing nonfiction, I would probably be more organized and use a style book for that type of writing, but most of my writing is either journaling, essay, poetry or fiction.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Style Books - 02/12/03 09:58 PM

I use the Chicago Manual of Style. I grew up being taught that format, and it just kind of stuck with me.

When I was a technical writer, my documentation style guides reflected the Chicago Manual of Syle format.

I guess ya just stick with what ya know.

However, that said, even with all the grammar and sentence structure rules, so long as you know them and understand them, that's enough for most writers. It's okay to break the rules now and then; most writers do.

Don't make your writing any harder than it has to be. You don't to stifle the creative muse.

[ February 25, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]