Bird by Bird!

Posted by: Dotsie

Bird by Bird! - 01/31/03 08:33 AM

I recently read a fantstic book by, Anne Lamott. I was already a fan of hers and realized she had this book published about writing. It is a book that is chock full of instructions for the writing life. She hads a great sense of humor, an incredibly honest writing style that can bring you to tears one moment and hysteria the next! Her stories drew me in and I had a hard time putting the book down. All the while I was receiving excellent writing advice.

bird by bird...check it out! You'll be glad you did!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Bird by Bird! - 02/12/03 10:01 PM

Dotsie, thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll have to find it and check it out. I enjoy reading "writing" books, by other authors.

One of the most recent ones I've read was Stephen King's "On Writing." Tremendous amount of information in that book and definitely and inside look at the man too.

If you enjoy humor writing, you might want to check out the book by Patrick McManus "The Deer on a Bicycle." It's chock full of tips and insight on writing humor.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Bird by Bird! - 02/14/03 06:53 PM

Vicki, I will definitely check out "On Writing". You are the second person to tell me about it. A young man in a class that I took last year was a Stephen King fan. I did a speech on the writing profession for class. He was nice enough to tell me to check out that book because he thought I would like it, and I never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder.
Posted by: pegword

Re: Bird by Bird! - 02/20/03 07:26 PM

I've read the Anne Lamott book, too, and it is a hoot! Recently, Christianity Today ran an interview article with her as well. Seems she is now a believer, although I'm not sure about how/when that happened. Definitely worth a read -- both the book and the article.
Posted by: bodlesx

Re: Bird by Bird! - 02/25/03 11:42 AM

I read Stephen King's "On Writing" - just about as much fun to read as his fiction. You learn what he is teaching because the book is so enjoyable - you don't even realize that writing information is going into your head, until you sit down to write and find yourself critiquing your own work in a way that you hadn't before. He is great!