War on Women on the Internet

Posted by: DJ

War on Women on the Internet - 01/12/14 10:16 PM

Hi Everyone,
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I looked for a forum that wasn't too recent. Gosh, I didn't post anything last year. But I saw this and it didn't look like you all were discussing it, so thought I'd share.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/opinio...-share&_r=0
I think it's so lame that anyone (not the author, but he mentions it) would blame women's quest for equal rights for the misogynist reaction from men who feel threatened. It all seems so neolithic, doesn't it?
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: War on Women on the Internet - 01/13/14 05:20 AM

DJ, It's great to see you here again. Earlier this month I realized I haven't heard anything from you for ages.

Thanks for sharing this story. I read the NY Times article via your link, and then linked to the story the NYT author's writing about. It's quite lengthy and detailed. Too much for me to take in right now, as it's almost midnight here.

But this is a disturbing issue, and one we need to bring forward. I loved hearing how Ms. Criado-Perez (original story) responded by re-tweeting the offensive/life
threatening messages. What a brave and bold action.

I hope everyone here will take the time to read the article you link to. We women need to find some way to deal with this issue.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: War on Women on the Internet - 01/13/14 05:10 PM

I think this is part of the 'feminist backlash' that Susan Faludi wrote about back in 1991. I haven't read the articles, but I will at some point. I've been reading about the 'men's rights' groups that are belittling women and basically saying we should get back into the kitchen where we belong; that rape crisis centers are manufacturing stories; and they have been flooding anonymous rape reporting sites at college campuses with false reports. Are men really that insecure?
Posted by: orchid

Re: War on Women on the Internet - 01/17/14 03:49 AM

Would agree that the Internet is not always welcoming.

I wrote this blog post on cycling lots ..actually for women is an expression of their feminism (independent mobility).

The blog post link ended up circulating among a bunch of what I could see ...male readers somewhere stuck and unhappy (with their lives).

I think we also have got to be alert, not to take stuff too personally online: there are people (boys and men as well as bully young women), who will disguise themselves and just say provoking stuff.

I'm sure it's happened here but Anne cleans up this place for us.