Would you like to brew your own beer? Why/Why not?

Posted by: startitup

Would you like to brew your own beer? Why/Why not? - 04/19/12 03:19 AM

Have you ever wanted to brew your own beer? I always have, but the materials an knowledge required are very expensive/advanced. But check out the link below. This place provides a facillity to brew your own beer whenever you want, and they provide all the materials, and have professionals to help you if you need any. And they even offer classes. Its like a gym for brewing beer. Seems really cool. What do other people think about this?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brewery-Gym/365175510199970?ref=ts
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Would you like to brew your own beer? Why/Why not? - 04/19/12 03:52 AM

startitup, is this "brewery gym" an outreach program or somehow related to SUNY Binghamton? Or is it a joke perpetrated by a few SUNY Binghamton students with too much time on their hands?

Either way, it's a local facility and our forum members are located all over the world....

A quick check with Google tells me that I can buy a D-I-Y beer kit online for $100 bucks. So the "expensive/advanced" concept of beer brewing at home sounds a bit trumped up...

On the other hand, I can see where a person might want to take a class in beer brewing theory prior to making a batch... IMHO, community colleges are always a good bet for people with interests in things like brewing beer.
Posted by: startitup

Re: Would you like to brew your own beer? Why/Why not? - 04/24/12 02:48 AM

This is actually for a class at SUNY Binghamton. And the brewery gym is more than just brewing beer. It is a community of people who all enjoy brewing beer in an atmosphere where help is right around the corner. And a brew kit has all the ingredients put together and partially mixed already, there is no craft or passion in it. To truely brew your own beer costs much more than $100 after you purchse all the ingredients and tools
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Would you like to brew your own beer? Why/Why not? - 04/24/12 04:32 AM

Ah, so you're talking about what I knew as a "co-op" when I was a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the late 60s and early 70s. A place of shared interests and expertise, where you pay a fee to become a member, share in the duties required to keep the place working, and theoretically everyone benefits.