Genealogy

Posted by: Di

Genealogy - 09/15/08 09:50 PM

Does anyone else enjoy doing family research?

You just never know who might be related to whom.

Just the other day, friends of ours mentioned his grandmother's surname. That surname was the same of a girl with whom I went to high school. We are researching to see if the spelling is the same. Both lines have red hair!

For the last 10 years, I've done some major research. Found cousins, 2nd and 3rd cousins I never knew existed. Even relatives of my deceased (since 1941) grandmother have shown up.

Rootsweb.com is the place to go if you are looking. It is so rewarding....and the thrill of the hunt constantly intrigues me!

My husband even made a DVD for his kids of their family trees.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 12:17 AM

I've done both sides of our family and it took me about two years, each. I loved doing it, but I found that I became obsessed with it and did nothing else...I have that type of personality. I overdo...

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 12:24 AM

Oh yeah.....I was obsessed, too, JJ. Once I found my great uncle/aunt that my mother never knew, it fizzled out.

My grandmother died at age 27 when Mom was 17. There was never any talk of her....we often went to her grave, but Mom never talked of her at all. We just "knew" about her...and had ONE photo.

When I spoke to her sister, she barely remembered her.

Do you have any interesting stories to share??
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 01:32 AM

Am I reading tht right Di, your mom was 17 when her mother died at age 27????

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 01:59 AM

No, my mother was 10 when HER mother died at age 27!!

BIG oopsy!!!!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 08:31 AM

My daughter is researching her family tree...so I watch with interest.She started with her Daddy's side first...and still
I am excited.Cant wait till its my clans turn..
Like being a detective.
Mountain ash
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 01:01 PM

I have researched my family tree for years. I think I was about 23 years old when I first started the search. After many years of research, I had accumulated tons of information, pictures, documents, stories and much more. I decided about 10 years ago to make a book with all the information that I currently had. It is hard to decide to know when to find a temporary stopping point when one is doing family research. It never ends. It's true, it does become an obsession. It took me about 6 months or better to organize the book and it is about 200 pages. It's a very rewarding experience. I still continue to add new information, pictures, stories, or whatever that I think would help give a glimpse of the past generations to the future generations of my family.
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 01:23 PM

Cookie, how many past generations have you discovered? 200 pages of information is quite an accomplishment. Wish you could post some old picture. What is the oldest one you have come across?

When I was 26 years old, an aunt told me that my father was adopted. I was floored. My brother and I had no idea. I wish he had told us. It would have been interesting to delve into his side of the family. He used to call me his little gipsy. Hmmm I wonder. ... Hush fantasy; you're running away with me.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 05:33 PM

EW, I have discovered 3 generations past my grandfather. My great-great-great grandparents were born abt.1810 in Hannover, Germany. I also have some names of some brothers of that grandfather that were born in the 1700's also. I do have other names/dates that go back a bit further, but haven't been able to connect them to my direct family line. That's about as far back as I have gotten thus far. It all makes me dizzy sometimes trying to piece it together accurately. One of the oldest pictures I have is of my great grandparents and a wedding picture of a great great uncle. I have pictures of my great great great's tombstones and many others. I also have many legal documents. I feel I have a vast amount of information and details of my direct family line. I am fortunate because I grew up knowing many of my ancestors. They had stories to tell. I listened...and I wrote down what they told me. Some of the stories are amazing....I think so anyway. smile
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 07:21 PM

I was wondeing if you see family resemblences that far down the line?

Re: Genealogy - 09/16/08 07:41 PM

RE: family resemblance. My maternal grandmother, who died at age 27 in 1941, myself and my next to older sister share the same hand/foot characteristic/shape. There is a certain space between certain fingers/toes that, when we hang our left hand loosely, they ALL are the same! How odd, I know. But the ONLY picture we have our our grandmother has the very obvious trait!

My 2nd cousin on my mother's side...her 1st cousin once removed, resembles my mother.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Genealogy - 09/17/08 11:38 PM

Di, we've been working on our families histories for years. We are fortunate to have a cousin's wife, who is Morman, to be able to go to the caves in Utah and do research on my father's side. They've got it back to when the first one came here from the Bonn, Germany area in the 1700's. Can't find any records of them in Germany because some place where the records were was burned to the ground during the war. So I don't know how we'll be able to go further.

My mom's side are from the Netherlands, Denmark I think. We've got them from the 1700's also. We're still working on it though.

My husbands mother's histories are more difficult. We don't know many of her people and we found her mother's people could have been from the Mediterranean area in Europe. I can't seem to find anyone who knows about that line.

My husband's father histories brought us an unexpected wealth of information. I found someone had posted their work on the internet and I traced it down to his line. It was fantastic. However, there is lots to do to get my hubby's cousins paperwork and such done.

It is addictive and I'm so glad people are working on their genealogies. I'm trying to put down as much as I know about medical, work, special talents histories also. It just seems to me that it's important to include those things also.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Genealogy - 09/18/08 04:09 AM

I wish I could research further back from my grandparents' generation and backward. But the language barriers are huge..I can't read Chinese. And right now, don't have the motivation just for the sake of geneaology.

Like some of the European countries, the huge disruptions of war, change in government probably resulted in destruction of many valuable records. Remember, in the 1960's and 1970's, Communist Chinese govn't was on a rampage to destroy anything bourgeoise and hurt people associated with such ownership of things. books were also destroyed if they contained "imperialist" ideas.. and by default probably alot of valuable records were destroyed.

However I suspect prior to my grandparents, there's a good probability that the literacy level to read and write was very low.

My father has expressed his wish that when he dies, he wants also a memorial plaque for his father near him. My paternal grandfather never came to North America. I know my paternal grandfather coordinated the building of local school in their village..a powerful effort to improve education and literacy locally.

And my father REALLY wanted all his children to become more educated than him and in order to have access to better jobs and less "harder" life. He got his wish even though sometimes we footdragged along the way..all his 6 children are university-educated.

But he himself is an inspiration, he taught himself most of his English. ESL classes was not an option, given demands of a big family and restaurant shift work.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Genealogy - 09/18/08 04:19 AM

But I will say this: My great uncle paid the Chinese head tax that was imposed on Chinese immigrants in the early 1900's when they stepped onto Canadian soil. It was $500.00 which was alot of money in those days.

Same immigration law was in effect in the U.S. at the same time for the Chinese entering the U.S. there as well. The purpose of the head tax was to reduce probability of the "heathens" who might pollute North America..or keep out the Chinese. Already the Chinese men were released from their labour for building the national railroads in North America..

My maternal and paternal great grandfathers did work for a few years in Chinese laundries and restaurants in the U.S. but returned to China several times, where they eventually died. The immigration laws in both U.S. and Canada did not permit Chinese men to bring their Chinese wives. Again fear of overpopulating these countries with heathens.

The federal laws were changed in 1950's ...and so my mother came as a picture bride, as part of the staring wave.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Genealogy - 09/25/08 03:05 PM

Orchid what an interesting history you have in your family. You know we are so connected to our past no matter how far we travel. I'm a history buff and loved reading your history. Blessings on your family for their struggle.

I get so tired of all the immigration problems people encounter here. We are a nation of immigrants so I don't understand why those here would try to impose problems on those coming. Grief!

Would love to hear more if you'd like to share.

Re: Genealogy - 09/26/08 03:34 PM

We've gone to the Mormon office here locally but it was long ago and I did not have enough info. Now that I have the immigration papers of my great grandfather and his proper name, from Disnik Yugoslavia, I can probably find out more.

Oh, if there were more hours in a day!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Genealogy - 09/30/08 02:29 PM

FYI: a woman just joined the NABBW and she is an expert on genealogy. I'll have to tell her about this post.

Okay, her name is Sharon and you can visit her at www.sharoncarmack.com. Tell her I sent you.
Posted by: gims

Re: Genealogy - 09/30/08 03:02 PM

I tried some years ago, back when... haha.
When I was concentrating on my mom's side, I got so frustrated with her dad's line... his family name was apparently (could have been) spelled differently in the old world. It became too confusing - I stopped. I also used rootsweb.com... in fact, if the database carries from way back, it might still have some of my correspondences with other searchers. I used ancestry.com also... it was free then. Another to try, which is still free I think, is familysearch.org. If I'm not mistaken it's Mormon based - a Mormon family member uses... she was able to connect my maternal grandmother's (her mom - the wife of the aforementioned maternal grandfather) line back to the LaFontaines from France.
One thing that was interesting... there were so many preachers (all flavors) up the branches, on both sides.