Owl Watching

Posted by: Dee

Owl Watching - 05/28/08 11:26 PM

We've discovered these little beauties in our neck of the woods and I wanted to share them with you...I'm having trouble figuring out my camera so they're a bit blurry...but, aren't they adroable? You can still see some of the baby feathers...so cute. I used a flash thus the red eyes...(I hope...LOL).

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 01:58 AM

Dee, they're beautiful! Do ya'll know what species of owl? Love the spots, kind of like a baby fawn.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 06:22 AM

Knock knock
Who's there?
Who
Who who?
What are you? An owl?

Do you hear them at night Dee?
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 08:40 AM

Awwww, Dee! They're gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing! Maybe this is where we can share our native animal stories. I'd love to hear what people have right in their own yards!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 11:01 AM

Mustang Gal...I did some research (aren't computers wonderful?) and find we have Barred Owls (Hoot Owls) in our neighbhood. We hear them during the day Hooting away and I try to call back to them (Hoot Hoot HOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)...I can remember doing that as a kid...Larry laughs at me but thinks it's cute.
Thanks for asking because it made me really curious and I've learned a lot by reading up on them.

Edelweiss...how cute.

Ladyjane...this would be a great place to post our critter watchers...who has some critters they'd like to share?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 12:59 PM

I just love this. Being an animal lover and watcher, this brings me joy! Aren't they beautiful? I have a friend who is doing a story on a fawn. I'll see if she will let me share it here. Thanks Dee...and you are so missed around here! Give the hunk a hug!
Posted by: jabber

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 01:23 PM

DEE,
Give the hunk a hug for me 2! Love the owl pictures! We have a reserve nearby called "Hawk Creek"; they have lots of owls there. Owls are such wonderful creatures! They're 1 of my favorites, along with dogs; cows; horses; hummingbirds; deer; donkeys; and wild geese. And, oh, men;
don't forget men!!!!
Thanks 4 the pics!!!! Loved it!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 04:45 PM

You guys are so funny...The hunk is sleeping at the moment...he brought a freight tain in from New Orleans and was up all night...but, when he wakes up this afternoon I'll be sure to give the hunk your hug JJ and your well wishes Jabber... He'll get a kick out of this.

I hope your friend will share with us the fawn pictures...that's got to be special. I think this forum is going to be a hoot (sorry, I had to say that). And I've missed you all, too...thanks for by cyber hug ya'll. More later...I will share with you my frog story...and photo...too cute.
Posted by: gims

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 08:16 PM

Awesome!
Posted by: writegirl1949

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 10:23 PM

I love owls ... we had two that lived across the street and hearing them call to each other at dusk was like music. I managed to snap a picture when one flew into our neighbor's yard but the photo looks more like a huge cat perched at the top of a tree.

As soon as I figure out how to paste photos here, I'll post a copy of the pygmy owl taken at the Desert Museum in Tucson and a hedgehog that lived in our backyard in Germany.

Blessings, Francine

Blessings, Francine

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 10:52 PM

You know...I happen to think that she's writing a story around it and will be submitting to a mag...and if she let me post it here, it would be considered PUBLISHED...so I'll have to wait on the fawn story.

We want all writers to get as many bucks as they can for the words....right? RIGHT!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/29/08 11:32 PM

You're right...I didn't think of that. When will your friend's story be published? (The hunk says hey!!).

Francine...I'll have to look up a pygmy owl..I never knew there were so many until I began looking for ours. They're so beautiful and so graceful and silent to be so big. I'd love to see your photos.

I hope more folks who love animals post on this forum...this is so cool

Re: Owl Watching - 05/30/08 12:32 AM

I don't have a clue when she'll have it published. I don't think she's completed it yet. She shared the pic and the synopsis with me..and it was adorable!

That owl with the red eyes looks like the son of chucky...EW. What happened to his/her wings? Didn't they get shortchanged? Oh wait...that's not his/her wings in the front, is it? Oh good grief...from what do I know owls? Oh even more good grief...I'm Jewish already. MEREDITH! Listen to me! I'm Jewish!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/30/08 01:15 PM

JJ...you're not right!!!! LOL. Yeah, the owl of chucky was a bit wwwooooaaaaahhhhhhhhh. It's cuz I used a flash, but it was so dark if I hadn't I coudln't have seen it.

But, you're right...it does look like stubby wings...I had that exact thought...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...but, it's something to do with them losing baby feathers and getting adult feathers...or something like that...I don't know...I'm clueless when it comes to owls, too.

I'm thinking we could make a huge cutout of the owl of chucky and put it in our corn garden and pecan tree to discourage the squirrels...think it would work?

Re: Owl Watching - 05/30/08 02:15 PM

It would work for me, girl. LOL! You have a PECAN tree? I have just become your new best friend. Does it yield?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Owl Watching - 05/30/08 07:27 PM

My home in McHenry, IL. was surrounded by a wooded area and the trees, some of them, were over 100 years old.
One morning while going out to walk Shadow, my Doberman, I saw what looked to be a baseball size ball of cotton in my driveway, and the dog freaked. I had to make him sit and stay while I checked it out, you see the cotton ball was moving... It turned out to be a baby owl, and the cutest thing I ever saw. I couldn't spot the mother or see a nest so I put it in a box and called the bird sanctuary. A woman and man came and looked and looked for the nest to no avail so took the little fluffy white baby with them to the sanctuary where it would lve out its life... They are such gently birds, and so beautiful too.

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 01:19 AM

Chatty...what a cute story! And how lucky for the owl that you came along when you did. Owls have become my new favorite bird.

Anne...glad you like the photos...we look for them every evening but they've been elsewhere...maybe tomorrow morning.

JJ...our pecan tree was planted last year but it's growing like a weed...probably won't produce for years...BUT here's what happened last year. Larry's mom has two pecan trees that kicked butt last year with pecans. He and I were on our hands and knees most of a day picking up as many as we could. They are the really old timie, good tasting pecans. We took them to be shelled at a place in Mobile and when I went back the next day no one could find our pecans. The man who'd taken our pecans was drunk (he was the owner). Larry was on a train and I had to call him to tell him that our pecans were MIA. He asked to speak to someone who wasn't drunk and commenced to chew tail. Our pecans were evidently given to someone else (hope they enjoyed them) and we were given a generic substitute...next time the trees yield we won't take them to that place again. I'll save you some pecans, JJ.

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 02:43 AM

I would love to purchase some as well Dee, for my pecan pies...YUM!!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 04:38 AM

Oh no! They gave your pecans away? Girl...want me to send Bubba and Earl to have a chat with um? The scum-sucking lowlifes! Not the pecans! Dang...

I tell ya, there ain't nothing better...I make my own trail mix and those pecans cost a kidney! Holy smokes!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 12:51 PM

JJ TO OUR RESCUE...WOOOO HOOOO!!!! YEAH!!! I'll definitely give you a hollar when we pick pecans again...you can send the boys down.

Pecans ARE really expensive and we freeze ours...I use them a lot at Christmas in my baking.

Chatty...the next time the trees produce, I'll send you a bag...no cost to you honey child.

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 12:55 PM

That Dee...you gotta love her. Am I right? Just let me know. I'll put my pickin' gloves on, girlfriend. Wuhoo! I freeze them too. And they keep a long, long time that way,too!

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 06:12 PM

Whew...JJ is it as hot up in your neck of the woods as it is down here? The humidity isn't so bad as the heat...91 and rising) good grief...even my sweet Larry is grumpy (not in his nature to be). The sun is getting to him.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 06:50 PM

Hubby and I were sitting in the backyard at our fire pit in the dark about 3 nights ago. We were "bat watching." Yep, that's our current backyard birds. Wanna see a pic???? ewww, I won't do that to ya.

Re: Owl Watching - 05/31/08 11:22 PM

Yipee, and then I'll bake you some pecan treats. I doubt a pecan pie would fare well in transit through the mail.

Re: Owl Watching - 06/02/08 03:19 AM

Chatty...when I can get you some pecans...you hang on to them dear and enjoy them. But, the thought is sweet.

Jane...yes pictures. I love pictures...that would be so cool. when I was a kid we lived in Piedmont Ala. on the side of a large hill...in the evenings the bats would come out and we'd throw a tennis ball in the air...the bats would dive at the ball until realizing it wasn't a bug...it was fun playing with them. We have two bat houses but so far no bats...maybe they're all at your house, Jane. Aren't they great!!!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Owl Watching - 06/02/08 08:48 AM

How did I miss this post Dee.I have been gardening lots and paying less attention here.

Owls..I love them.I was Grey Owl for the Brownie pack.And my friend Brown Owl.
I see them in the evening where a Barn owl is like a ghost vrossing the road as I drive past....the barn.
Critters...here we have deer hedgehogs tame birds.who eat from husbands hand..and three Highland cattle who gaze with eyelashed eyes and huge horns even the baby over my hedge,
Sea gulls come when the fields are being ploughed and some gulls are huge..
I am a child a heart where critters are involved.Favourites are cats owls donkeys and my birds.
Mountain ash

Re: Owl Watching - 06/02/08 11:34 PM

Mountain...gosh, I'm so jealous...first, you live in the UK and second you have so many wonderful animals. When I lived in Winslow England I remember the hedgehogs...they were cute little tiny things. Do you have any photos to share? (I'm not gardening at the moment...too hot...but doing a LOT of watering). And starting another quilt.
I'd love to see a photo of one of one of your hedgehogs. The owls sound soooooooo very cool. They are magnificent, aren't they.
Posted by: Mij

Re: Owl Watching - 06/03/08 12:12 AM

grin

Re: Owl Watching - 06/03/08 02:03 AM

When living in Illinois I use to go to the unpainted plaster cast store and I would buy statues of owls, take them home and paint them, then varnish them. MY whole house was owls and some were even purchased by friends that saw them, and some I painted and gave as gifts. Funny how I am reminded of that after so many years...

Re: Owl Watching - 06/03/08 12:51 PM

Mij, wow now that's cool. The website was really fascinating to watch and then the other links accompanying it was awesome. I've become a lover of owls and for you to share this with me is so sweet of you. Thanks so much. I'll keep watching the owlcam.

Chatty, do you have any owls left that you know of with someone you may have given them to? Isn't is amazing how one event or memory from one person on this site will lead to us remembering things that we hadn't thought about in some time. Fun!!! You could start a new hobby, Chatty, painting owls and selling them.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Owl Watching - 06/03/08 07:12 PM

Oh Dee, what beautiful pics. I starting collecting Owls about 25 - 30 years ago. I love them. When my mom passed, I put my very first owl in the treasures box that we buried with her. I quit collecting then and gave most of them to my grand-daughter.
That website is so cool too. I spent way too much time there already today.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Owl Watching - 06/03/08 09:41 PM

Dee, I love the owl pics! I haven't seen any in this neighborhood. We have red-tailed hawks, hummingbirds, mourning doves, crows, mockingbirds, yellow finches, great blue herons, and more.

Jawjaw, so when did you become Jewish? With a nose like yours, I'm expected to believe this? Like they say it in Cali, PUH-LEEEZE!

Re: Owl Watching - 06/04/08 03:04 AM

chick...what a sweet gesture...a treasure box. That's a wonderful thing you all did for your mom. I'm sorry you lost her.

Meredith...sounds like you have lots of activity in your neck of the woods...and Mockingbirds...I adore them. Do you have a lot of hummingbirds? Do you put out feeders?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Owl Watching - 06/04/08 03:56 AM

Dee, the hummingbirds nest somewhere different every year. We've had the babies twice in our yard. My next-door neighbor puts a feeder out, but the hummingbirds love bougainvillea flowers, and we have 3 huge bushes here.

Re: Owl Watching - 06/04/08 09:47 PM

Hmmmm bougainvillea flowers...I'll have to check and see if we can grow those here...it sounds familiar.

Re: Owl Watching - 06/09/08 07:23 PM

Larry and I were shucking corn near the woods this morning and we heard the owls...I tried calling to them...(Larry laughs and thinks it's cute)...another owl farther away began calling and so I didn't get to see them...but, it's nice to know they're there. Larry's talking about building an owl house...as anyone ever heard of those?