Gardening

Posted by: Dotsie

Gardening - 03/25/08 02:55 PM

This topic has been here many times before, but it's that time of year again here in Baltimore. The birds are chirping and it's going to be in the 50s and 60s all week. The sun is shining and my space heaters are OFF!

Last week we had all of our garden clean up done in preparation done in time for the egg hunt. Now I'm ready to begin planting annuals but it's way too early. In this area, the rule is not to plant anything before Mother's Day. I can never wait that long.

What's everyone doing in their gardens these days? Sorry, I know some of you are watching the snow accumulate or melt.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Gardening - 03/25/08 05:39 PM

This is how my little garden looks today...

I might have to look at planting snow lilies this year...you know, winter's cousin to the water lily???
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Gardening - 03/25/08 10:04 PM

LOL! Eagle...I had to go put on a jacket after I saw that pic...ew! They would be calling out the Army reserve down here if that kind of snow fell!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Gardening - 03/26/08 10:04 AM

WAITING
thats what I am doing.Until the weather is warmer..If I were to attempt to garden at present it would chill me to the bone.
Roll on real Spring.
Mountain ash
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Gardening - 04/07/08 10:34 PM

CACTI, ANYONE?

If you're going to Las Vegas and want to take home some absolutely adorable cacti or succulents (OK, not everyone finds them adorable, but it sounds good) I can package cuttings if you ask by midday Thursday. I'll transport them in recycled little boxes or paper bags if you want any.

These have stickers or pointy things:
pipe organ cactus -- 5-sided columnar, smooth with stickers on ribs -- pieces will be 3-5" long
steno-whatever cactus -- tube shape w. furry looking stickers, 3-5" long
needled agave -- long pointy "leaves" like aloe but hard and stickered on edges -- 3-5" x3-5"
flat pad cactus -- I'll try for pads under 5"

No stickers:
jade plant. Name your quantity
and 2 succulents which I don't know the name of. (yes, I have books. No, I'm not looking them up.) 1 has flat leaves like rosettes. 1 has fatter fuzzy leaves.

Re: Gardening - 04/08/08 12:03 AM

Canyou take them on airplanes or is that against the rules?

Re: Gardening - 04/08/08 12:17 AM

California has laws against bringing in agricultural products. Almost no one else does. Sometimes when visiting a foreign country, different rules apply. If it's packed in your suitcase, the point is moot. I'm not including any soil, just the plant. Right now I'm looking at a coffee can, and a box from tea bags, both of which make good travel containers. More boxes in my garage.

All of these plants are extremely sturdy. And I'm good at packing

Re: Gardening - 04/08/08 01:46 AM

Meredith, I'd love to have soemthing from your garden in my garden. Please bring me something I can put in my suitcase that's small and can survive in Baltimore, MD.

The only thing is that we probably aren't checking bags so I may have to carry on. I better check with my son about this. I'm sure he'll know.

Re: Gardening - 04/08/08 10:45 PM

Dotsie, anything can survive indoors. Other than jade plant, I'm not sure if many others would survive outdoors in winter.

Re: Gardening - 04/11/08 02:02 AM

10 new purple crocuses bloomed today! The snow finally melted yesterday and those little flowers didn't waste any time celebrating...what a joy to look out my kitchen window and see those tiny purple petals peeking up at me!
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Gardening - 04/17/08 09:19 AM

We have pansies and tulips now. The pansies are huge. there is one out there that must be almost 3" wide!

Re: Gardening - 04/17/08 05:51 PM

I love this time of year.

We have daffodils, candy tuft, weeping cherry tree, and Korean spice bush all in bloom right now with things changing quickly! Everything is popping through.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Gardening - 04/18/08 01:41 AM

My daffodils are multpling so much and red tulips are up and pansies are out . The Japness maple trees are coming out and the silver maple tree is going to be chopped down . Otherwise everything is greening up and the grass has been cup twice .

Hello Spring !

Renee

Re: Gardening - 04/18/08 02:42 AM

I only have about twenty crocuses so far, but it's enough to stop traffic...we were sitting out on the front porch this evening and so many people came by to gaze and marvel at those little purple flowers - I guess the fact that the rest of the snow melted only a few days ago makes them stand out even more!

What's really exciting is that almost everyone along our row of rowhouses planted tulip bulbs last fall - so we should be getting an amazing crop of them all along this part of the street in a few weeks. (When we moved here eight years ago, nobody in this stretch of houses had any flower gardens!)
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Gardening - 04/18/08 08:27 PM

Guess what I get to do this weekend here in Maine??? I finally have two glorious days off. It's 75 degrees at this very moment (even though a few stubborn snow banks still exist)....I'll be in my flower gardens tomorrow weeding and raking. I'm so excited and sooooo ready after an unusually long winter....I am SO ready!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Gardening - 04/18/08 10:16 PM

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend your two days off. Have fun and know that all your hard work will soon become beautiful flowers and such for you to enjoy. Do you have vegetables as well you grow?
Posted by: humlan

Re: Gardening - 04/20/08 04:49 PM

Gardening isn´t really my thing..yet. But I am considering it after reading this thread..and other comments on this forum. I have a balcony that is quite big..with lots of space to potter around in. And so some weeding in..

BUT I just went for walk with my partner on this first glorious day of spring..weatherwise. And the beauty of all the trees amazes me and gladens me every year..you know, the buds on the trees..and the first tiny very green leaves that appear. It´s such a tender part of spring..and of life. And as a friend of mine always said, who has since passed away.."I am so thankful to be able to experience one more springtime!" Well, so am I..always have been!

Re: Gardening - 05/06/08 10:24 PM

Have any of you tried those upside down planters that you hang? I have several on my patio and boy do they ever save water and grow so lush. Retards crawling insects as well.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:15 PM

Here's a pretty morning glory to say good morning to the gardeners today: Miss you.

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:17 PM

Dee, how glorious! This beautiful flower reminds me that my Mother use to say to me as I would come through the house in the early morn..."Morning Glory!" I was suppose to reply (and would), "Evening Star!" Don't ask me why...we just did.

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:19 PM

and another...I caught Molly taking a drink of water from the bird bath...

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:25 PM

Beautiful Fox Gloves:

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:28 PM

And Larry planting a beautiful Hydrangia...I always kill them...hopefully, it's in a spot in which it will grow well. Happy Gardening Everyone!!! Talk to you soon...I'm off to the garden, again...

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:32 PM

Georgia...glad you like it and so happy the Morning Glory brought you a sweet memory...they remind me of childhood, too...Mamaw had them growing up the side of their tiny hardware store in Glencoe, Alabama...I remember standing there watching the hummingbirds take advantage of the blossoms.
I think there's an actually flower called "evening star" that's white (?). (Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong). We tried to grow them without much success...they're absolutely beautiful and grow like Morning glories except they come out in the cool evening hours.

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:41 PM

Here is one species of the Eveningstar

Late blooming white Peony Evening Star looks magnificent at dusk. This type of peony flower sometimes has petals trimmed with a few red streaks like you can see on the peony flowers above. Evening Star is a favorite for wedding peonies.

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:50 PM

Whoa...beautiful!!! Do you have them growing in your yard?

Maybe it's the Moon Flower I'm talking about...it's a vine and grows like the morning glory. Anyone have a pic of them?

I'm off to the gym...UGH...

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 01:54 PM

Here is the extent of my gardening. I'm afraid I'm not very good at these things. But oh how I love seeing what all of you have done! Bravo!

This is outside my front door at the end of my porch.

Then this is growing up "dental floss" on the opposite end of the porch. You have to love it. Dental floss! hahaha..They just call me the mastergardener! LOL!

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 03:46 PM

Wow...Georgia...how beautiful!!!! Is that a Hydrangia bush? If it is I need you to come down here and show me where to put ours...breathtakingingly beautiful!!!

I love purple, don't you? You have a green thumb, woman!!!

Love the photos!

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 04:08 PM

Yep, sure is. Isn't it beautiful? That is my reward for being good all year...Bwwwaaahhhhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem....

I wish I could take credit for it's birth and growth, but it was here when I bought the house. The fire ants are doing their thiing again this year though, so I am going to have to find a way to get rid of those suckers, otherwise, my yard will be no more!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 06:08 PM

Oh bliss...just love seeing these pictures. You both have green thumbs and more!
I got a kick out of the name "Fox Gloves"...I just love flower names. When I was with my mother in a botanic garden the other day, we had the greatest time just reading the names these flower are given.
No wonder we aren't seeing much of you Dee...you are digging planting digging cutting, planting.....

Re: Gardening - 05/07/08 09:20 PM

Beautiful, gorgeous and breathtaking the both of you. I love all the flowers and the colors are so magnificient. JJ, that bush of pink is so lush, I bet it smells divine too. Both your yards make me miss my lilac bushes back in Illinois, and how they smelled up our entire yard and the house as well.
Hey Dee, at least Molly wasn't trying to get into the bird bath, bless her heart...
Posted by: DJ

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 12:02 AM

JJ -- Isn't that a clematis vine? (the one you call dental floss I mean). I have one blooming now too. If I weren't so busy I'd try to upload pix of my garden. This spring is absolutely glorious here. Two weeks ago all the early blooms were still around with the later blooms, so I made a bouquet of forsythia, lilacs and azaleas, with daffodils and tulips all at the same time. That was quite rare. Usually the daffodils and forsythia are gone before the lilacs and azaleas and tulips. The pollen count is so incredibly high this year, so at least we get something out of it.

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 01:06 AM

Correct. I happen to be in love with the Clematis vines and I'm training it to grow up the dental floss and cover the front of my house. I think that will be beautiful! Oh I wish you would take a sec or two DJ and upload those pic's. Nothing says BEAUTIFUL like a bouquet of fresh flowers.

Oh pleaseeeeee?

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 02:10 AM

Edelweiss...I had the most beautiful rose garden when I lived in Wiesbaden, Germany. In Europe there were 4 seasons so it was nice gardening there. Here in the south we have cool winters and hotter summers and rarely anything inbetween. It's hard figuring out what will grow and what will wilt in the heat.
Chatty...LOVE your new photo...how adorable! I am figuring that by the time summer humidity gets here I just may find her sitting it along with the birds and squirrels. LOL
DJ...what is forsythia? I may recognize them but the name doesn't sound familiar. Official names of flowers are like prescriptions...can't remember them and can't pronounce them.
JJ...I bought two Clematises today (not sure if the punctuation is correct)...a pretty lavender...do they like sunshine, shade or in between? And our hydranga bush was really wilting today so it's got to be moved to a shadier spot...even the least little bit of sun that it gets is too much and it's not that hot here yet. Sheesh!!!

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 11:20 AM

Dee, if I am correct, I believe the forsythia is called Yellow Bell down here...is that right, DJ?

Also, the vine likes some sun, but mostly shade I have found. Mine gets the afternoon sun but only partial. I had some at my mailbox one time but it never lasted. Course that could have been because I didn't "tend" to it like I should have.

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 12:37 PM

JJ...thanks...I'll try and see if I can find Yellow Bells...also...the main reason ya'll never see me much is because I'm standing in the yard watering...and watering...and watering...and watering...and...hmmmm...could that be my Larry said, "baby, please don't buy anymore flowers." ?

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 05:15 PM

Dee, first of all, it's GREAT to "see" you again! I missed you so much and even wrote a post about it! Your pics are lovely. It's the opposite for us.....I recently begged Frank not to buy any more flowers! We're waiting to plant because we did so too early (another post, too) and they died after a frosty night. I love this time of year....finally getting the dirt on my hands!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 07:18 PM

Your flowers are beautiful ladies! Here are a few of my flowers I like to share...Azalea, hydrangea, & yellow mini roses. I was thrilled that my azalea bloomed as well as it did this year. I haven't had much luck with them in the past. So naturally, I had to take a picture of it! The hydrangea and mini rose was taken a few years ago. My hydrangea didn't flower at all last year because we had a hard freeze in April.

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 09:28 PM

Just gorgeous Cookie. I use to have lovely rose bushes back in Illinois. My moms favorite color was the yellow.

Re: Gardening - 05/08/08 10:06 PM

Wow cookie. That rose is almost perfect! Everything is so lovely. Gorgeous!

Re: Gardening - 05/09/08 10:12 PM

Hi JANE!!!! I've missed you too...I must give you a call soon. You wrote a post? Which one? I must read it. You're so sweet!!
I can understand waiting to plant considering where you live. When will you start planting do you think?

Anne...your place sounds heavenly and to have a big meadow...sounds so nice. We have aphids on our River Birch trees...they are very annoying. Larry normally sprays for them but we put out baby Praying Mantises and we are hoping they'll take care of the problem.
We have red mites on some mums in our window box and Larry grabbed two mantises and put them on the flower. One is having quite a time having its fill of these little creatures. We don't know where the 2nd one went...hiding in other plants perhaps. It's fun watching these tiny insects.

Good luck with your Lupine..have no idea what that is..do you have a photo?
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 01:16 AM

Lupins grow in Newfoundland in many colours and spread like wildfire. They are beautiful and the bees just love them.
Posted by: gims

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 05:51 AM

Don't have flowers, to speak of... only wild ones.
Our blackberries were unbelievable this year, though.

Here's a pic of the sun coming up through our oak tree:

Posted by: Cookie

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 10:26 AM

Gims, I love big oak trees. They have so much history. That is a beautiful picture!

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 03:07 PM

Gims, I can't thank you enough for sharing this picture. It belongs on a greeting card to help sooth someone's troubled soul. I know it made me feel closer to God just looking at it. I wish I were there sitting on a bench, just being. How lucky you are!

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 08:42 PM

With your view of that spectacular tree Gims, you don't need flowers. I just stared and stared at it. It sort of mesmerizes a person... Thanks for sharing.

Edelweiss, never saw Lupins before but wow are they ever beautiful, and so many of them too. Hard to think of them as wild flowers... I would love a huge vase of them on my dining room table.

Re: Gardening - 05/11/08 09:03 PM

Since you like the Oak tree girls look up this old lady...there is a picture on the site.

Birnam Oak
Murthly Estates
The Birnam Oak © Edward Parker

As the sole survivor of the wood that played a significant part in Shakespeare’s Macbeth, the Birnam Oak (Quercus petrae) simply reeks of history.

“I will not be afraid of death and bane till Birnam Forest come to Dunisnane.”
Macbeth, Act V, Scene III

The tree is believed to be part of the wood from which Malcolm's soldiers cut branches to disguise their attack on Macbeth at Dunsinane Hill, 15 miles to the south east. Today the gnarled and ancient oak certainly looks medieval – its lower branches rest wearily on crutches and the first 3 metres/ 10 ft of its trunk are hollow.

Visit the tree at any time of year.
Mountain ash

Re: Gardening - 05/12/08 03:55 AM

The tree is the very reason we bought this piece of property. I marvel at it constantly. But, it is at its best when the sun is coming up and the dew is on the fresh mowed grass. I'm glad to hear others love oak trees, too. It is my all time favorite, so much so I though I might be reincarnated from a Southern Belle... we've visited some of the plantations in Louisiana and Mississippi, the ones with oak liked entries. Each time, I daydreamed about living on one, sitting and reading under one or each of the trees. God outdid himself when he created them.
Funny, an acquaintance of ours loves the tall southern pines, and hates the outstretched cover of oaks. And an X-coworker said she couldn't stand oaks, because they looked evil, like witches fingers. Didn't stop me from loving them, though.
Thanks to all... I do think myself fortunate and, believe it or not, am constantly in fear of lightening striking it or some awful beetle getting into it... but, I will enjoy it as I can... just like I'd enjoy having all of your beautiful flowers and shrubs... they are ALL beautiful, simply beautiful.

I checked out Birnam Oak, MA. Awesome! Ours is evergreen, a Live Oak, so we never see it without leaves; we have a pin oak (deciduous) out the back door, just as pretty, but not as old. Doesn't it seem as if a few fairies and tree nymphs should be playing around the Birnam Oak, even living in it?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Gardening - 05/12/08 07:30 AM

Gims, your picture made me write this poem.

Oh beautiful sunlight, caught in an Oak tree,
You make me feel mellow safe and so happy.

Between the leaves and branches you shine,
For a moment I think; You’re mine just mine.

A breeze rustles leaves and branches so gently,
Like an angel’s smile, your golden rays wink down at me.

Re: Gardening - 05/12/08 07:55 AM

There must be something about the Mighty Oak.
In Kensington Gardens in London there is a wonderful interesting old oak.
The Elfin Oak.
I imagine city dwellers taking their children to see this.
Many famous people (Spike Milligan Paul McCartney amongst them ) contributed to the upkeep when it was fading fast.
I also like thr Peter Pan statue there..at heart I am a child full of wonder when something nagical crops up.
Many of the pictures of the Elfin Oak are copyright so do search it as it comes up in several sites.
Mountain ash

Re: Gardening - 05/13/08 05:59 PM

Gims, what a spectacular picture of that tree! It combines the awakening of a new day with the old wisdom of 1000's of days in the oak. Simply magnificent.

I've seen purple lupine (but not any other color) considerably north of here, North Cali mountains.

Re: Gardening - 05/13/08 06:50 PM

A friend gifted me a miniture bamboo.It rustled in the breeze and behaved...for three years.Underground shoots were striking out and this year all my rockery was covered..Nice little alpines lost and other favourites were under the shoots.
So last weekend I went to work...I replaned my nice plants..had the stones put to one side and I saw the "enemy" off.I dug pulled and raked.Eventually I went on line to a BBC gardening advice page.My instructions were to use a certain weedkiller..and wait...I have been to the hardening shop and it is waiting for a dry sunny day.Then I will do murder...happily.
I intend to clear this area and leave it fallow for a time.Then introduce small well behaved plants.This is a lesson for me...I will not repeat the mistake.And the friend...he is a professional gardener..and should have known.Had I known I would have planted it in an old pail and kept it under supervison.
Beware ladies...those who garden.
Mountain ash

Re: Gardening - 05/17/08 09:46 PM

Gims...whoooooooh. How absoutely breathtakingly beautiful We have a few live oaks on our place but not a view like yours...and we do not have Spanish moss, which I think adds to the lovliness.
Have you heard of water oaks? They're sort of like the live oak...they both seems to drop their leaves as weird times of the year...spring time instead of fall...makes a mess to clean up.
The limpines are absolutely awesome...gosh, I wish they grew here...probably could not stand the humidity.
I'm heading back outside...gotta mow the lawn...AND I finished my quilt, finally. My quilting group is meeting over here next week for a break from quilting...but, you can be sure we'll be gabbing about our main love...quilting. Miss you all bunches and you're never far from my heart.
The pictures are lovely.

Re: Gardening - 05/17/08 11:03 PM

The spanish moss has gotten away from us... we have way too much. You can't see it in this particular picture (which I took back when we tried keeping it clean). It has overtaken two giant crepe myrtles in our yard. We've stripped them twice, but it keeps coming back... it kills. I called a business in Houston, which handles natural horticulture supplies, and the guy I spoke with convinced me I didn't want to get rid of it... that was 7 or 8 years ago, and I wish I had not listened to him.

I agree with you, it is wonderful to look through the old limbs. Our house faces the eastnortheast and the tree is positioned so that, while I'm at a front window, I can see the sun rise through the limbs. I'll say it again, God did marvelous work when he gave us plants, oak trees and peonies, esp., in my book.

Hope I don't sound stupid when I ask what a limpine is... google it, but found links in Spanish, or some other language... didn't really study it.

About our house, it needs to be torn down. The owners before us did not maintain it well... and because of circumstances, we've not tried to remedy their oversights. Hope to remodel SOME DAY.

Re: Gardening - 05/19/08 12:31 PM

Gosh, gims, I want to FRAME your photo!! It's so beautiful and peaceful. I can feel the breeze. Well, even though I lost some plants earlier, I've planted the last of the new ones. I have small gardens all over our property. After a too-long winter of seeing nothing but white and gray, I'm basking in the beautiful colors and drinking it all in every chance I get. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Re: Gardening - 05/19/08 10:08 PM

We have two gardens running along the side of our house, beside the parking lot. All of the plants there are now perennials, but we don't know what they all are, because every year, something new grows there, something that we didn't plant...it would appear that someone is coming along every fall and planting surprises in that garden.

This year, another one of these new surprise plants has appeared. At first I couldn't figure out what it was, until today when I could finally see the up-and-coming flower bud...it's a LUPIN...and there must be four or five spikes growing there! I love lupins. When we lived in Nova Scotia, we would see lupins of every colour EVERYWHERE along all of the highways. They are to Nova Scotia what dandelions are to the rest of us.

I tried planting them here several years ago, but they never "took" to the soil and died the first year...but this surprise lupin that some dear anonymous garden angel planted when we weren't looking is thriving!

BTW, we love these surprise plants so much that we've started doing the same to other people, especially some of the new immigrant families who can't afford to buy flowers or plants. Yesterday we had a lot of annuals left over, so we snuck over to the new family's house and planted a bunch of flowers in their front garden (we already know that there's nothing else planted there). Then our neighbour saw what we were doing and contributed some of her perennial "babies". When the new family came home later that day, the children (they have five little ones) were so excited to see all these pretty flowers in their own garden. It was fun.

Re: Gardening - 05/21/08 08:38 PM

EH, I wish we were neighbors so we could swap perennials. I love the grace you heaped upon your neighbor.

Do your neighbors have get-togethers?

Re: Gardening - 05/21/08 10:26 PM

Dotsie, I wish we were neighbours too! Not just for perennial-swapping, but for spiritual gardening as well!

We've tried having get-togethers, but with so many different cultures (and varying food - and dress - restrictions) it hasn't yet worked out to be comfortable for everyone. We had a neighbourhood Canada Day party at one of the houses one street over last year. Some people drank too much too fast, others didn't drink at all, some of the food shouldn't have been sitting out in the hot sun as long as it did (meaning that late-comers didn't have much choice in what to eat - and again, MANY different cultural food restrictions).

Our neighbourhood is so eclectic...every household is from a different cultural background. We're a mini United Nations just in this one block of 48 houses). It's interesting and we love it, we love meeting people and finding out their backgrounds (some have horrendous stories of survival through unimaginable torture and hardship, and have come here with nothing but the clothes on their backs). But as wonderful as diversity is, it does make it somewhat difficult to get everyone together for one cohesive function.
Posted by: orchid

multicultural garden/block parties - 05/25/08 01:24 AM

Quote:

Dotsie,We've tried having get-togethers, but with so many different cultures (and varying food - and dress - restrictions) it hasn't yet worked out to be comfortable for everyone. We had a neighbourhood Canada Day party at one of the houses one street over last year. Some people drank too much too fast, others didn't drink at all, some of the food shouldn't have been sitting out in the hot sun as long as it did (meaning that late-comers didn't have much choice in what to eat - and again, MANY different cultural food restrictions).

Our neighbourhood is so eclectic...every household is from a different cultural background. We're a mini United Nations just in this one block of 48 houses). It's interesting and we love it, we love meeting people and finding out their backgrounds (some have horrendous stories of survival through unimaginable torture and hardship, and have come here with nothing but the clothes on their backs). But as wonderful as diversity is, it does make it somewhat difficult to get everyone together for one cohesive function.

So it sounds like your neighbourhood won't be having its block party this year??

If not, that's a shame. It sounds like some good neighbourly connections were made/reinforced.

Couldn't the party just be booze-free? or punch that is spiked with only a bit of alcohol? I don't think you can please everyone, only the majority.

Frankly I'm abit bewildered...I mean alot of people nowadays have parties where they must prepare food that considers both meat eaters and vegetarians. Maybe kosher food can be bought from somewhere...to make life easier with their own paper plates.

I didn't realize the dress code would be a big deal. It is the reality of immigrating to Canada.

I guess I've hung around too many strict Mennonites who had relatives that become non-Mennonites and hence, wore shorts and tank tops.

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/25/08 02:15 AM

When I say eclectic, I really mean eclectic...for example, we have several Muslim families, but no two of them are the same Muslim sect. We also have Buddhists, Jehova Witnesses, Catholics, Protestants, atheists and Hindu families - not to mention all the languages too! The orthodox Muslim men are not allowed to look at women in shorts and tank tops, and even the non-orthodox are clearly uncomfortable with both the dress and the booze. But they try to join in the neighbourhood events, and everyone tries to find unity in diversity, and it IS good to be together. Just not as easy as you would think it could or should be.

As for the food, it's all potluck and BYOD (bring your own drinks) so that everyone can be sure of having something there they can eat. That too worked well for awhile, until there was more that the majority could NOT eat than could eat...not only due to food restrictions and people wanting to try a little bit of everything and there not being enough for the people with restricted diets, but also to spoilage from the heat.

Another reality is that some people are simply too poor to be able to afford to bring enough food to share and so won't come, out of shame of their inability to contribute. If there is another block party this year (and I'm sure there will be), people will probably bring coolers, bring more food and keep the perishables in there. Live and learn!

I come from a Mennonite background. On my Dad's side, everyone is Mennonite except one of my brothers and myself. The cousins are not as strict as my Dad's parents and grandparents were, but I still don't have many Mennonite relatives who wear tank tops or shorts once they become adults.
Posted by: orchid

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/25/08 03:55 AM

Very interesting Eagle. Maybe it might be useful one day..just to organize the ladies in the neighbourhood..for a multicultural tea garden luncheon. I realize not all women will attend, but it would be a start somewhere. Then the food might be still diverse, but more "controlled" and less people, therefore less obligation to bring so much food.

You might get more women relaxing abit..particularily those more "traditional".

Were your paternal grandparents, old order Mennonite? Or Conservative Mennonite..at least that's what my good friend with the white net hair cap, calls herself.

I am from the Kitchener-Waterloo area. I grew up as a child and teenager there.

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/25/08 07:24 AM

In Scotland we have rights of way..roads that the landowner cant stop you walking on.And also unclaimed patches..using for grazing livestock while travelling.Maybe to market with a cow..So near me there is a bleaching green..where laundry was laid to bleach in the sun and dry.In that plants have beem planted.Its a donated garden really. Hosta bluebells and poppies.many daffodils in springs.I scatter seeds like forget me not and wildflower mix..the council planted trees and a lovely place has evolved.We share plants a lot here.I have many perenials..also yesterday the church had a plant sale where the tables were full of such plants.I love donated plants and remember each giver as I work..
Mountain ash
Posted by: DJ

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/25/08 11:08 PM

Dotsie
We ARE neighbors so we CAN swap perennials...except that my garden design partner and I are having our annual "perennial sale" this coming weekend. I don't think you've ever been? We've been potting up stuff for months now. Lots of unusual things. We started having a sale long ago because we used to give stuff away...and then watched our friends kill it. But we've noticed that wehn people pay a little for some plants, they're much more careful. Saturday, her place, 9-noon, rain or shine!

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/28/08 11:09 PM

Hi ya'll...thanks for the reminder, Dotsie, that BWS is here...I seem to be so busy that I haven't had time to pop in and read any posts. I feel bad about that. Larry and I are working hard on the garden and the veggie garden is starting to produce...lots of squash and our tomato's are starting to turn juicy red. I've been cleaning my house after neglecting it for 3 months to make my first quilt and I'm itching to start the next one.
I love reading about everyone's gardening stories and hearing about what you all are doing concerning plants. It's such good therapy, isn't it?
The humidity here is starting to get really heavy and that means miserable temps outside.
We have owls...beautiful owls...a mother and her 3 babies are hanging out at the edge of our woods and last evening two were hanging out on our fence post looking for anything that moved. It was such a special moment to observe these magnificent creatures. I'm going to put in a couple of photos I've been able to snap of them...maybe this evening I can get a photo of them out front.
Do any of you have any special creature stories to share? I know this is off the subject of gardening...maybe I need to post their photos elsewhere.
I miss you guys...I truly do but I'm so glad to see that BWS is alive and thriving.

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/29/08 09:10 AM

Dee, I think starting up another thread about critters in our neighborhoods or yards would be so fun! I'm also thrilled to see you around once in awhile. I completely understand your absences. I don't have a lot of time to post these days because I'm working ALL shifts until I get settled into one at work.

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/29/08 09:15 AM

Not far from me is Portland. Several years back, this city purposely immigrated people from so many countries. I was there shopping the other day and it felt so different. There are loads of Somalis in full dress, Cambodians, Thais, etc. The entire street is all businesses of these people. I felt like I was in a foreign country and not where I grew up. The language barrier is very evident. It's all so strange to me and to be totally honest, I don't know how to feel.

Re: multicultural garden/block parties - 05/29/08 05:42 PM

you sound sad, LadyJane...I guess it's true...you can never go back home.