How do you find the time to keep up with this site

Posted by: humlan

How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/14/08 08:24 PM

Just a quick question..many of you keep up a lively discussion with eachother..and write quite a few posts and answers. HOW DO YOU FIND THE TIME for this during your busy days? Do you have shortcuts that you use to keep in touch here?

Just wondering.. .. this place and all of you have really begun to mean alot to me..you keep the sunshine and the fire in my life
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/14/08 08:26 PM

Well, for me personally, I hop online at 5:30 A.M. when I have my first coffee. Then I just periodically check in quickly, write a post or two and then hop off....depends on my day.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/14/08 08:45 PM

Since my job is 50% computer work, I sometimes take a peek between phone calls, making exposes, and writing business letters. I have no colleagues to chat with, and allow myself a break while drinking a cup of coffee.
Usually I'm here early in the morning, and then after 9:00 PM, when the grandchild is sleeping and Hubby is watching soccer. That’s when I escape to visit with you gals.

And Humlan, you are a warm sunray in many of our lives as well.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/14/08 10:14 PM

It's easier if my computer is working and I'm not at work. I miss too many great conversations when life gets in my way. I check in when I can and stay if I have time. I love it here and delighted you joined us, Humlan.
Posted by: Anno

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/14/08 11:36 PM

My visits are sporadic. Sometimes I only have the time to pop in and see what is up with people and post once or twice. Other times I have more time on my hands and can post more often. I, too, have many friends here who i cherish and miss them when I can't be around as often.

Sorry, no tricks or quick manuveurs around here - it took me a good solid year to feel like I knew a few of the women. Give it time, Humlan, it is worth the time spent.

I, too, am glad to have you around here. Seems you have been missing off and on yourself. Glad you are here now.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/15/08 12:14 AM

Since I don't work outside of the home (and somedays do very little inside the home!) I'm able to be here throughout the day. My problem isn't time, it's energy. I've been very sick for two weeks, and have managed to get online almost every day, but haven't had any energy to respond or participate. But I love to read all of the posts and keep up with all the goings-ons. I miss everyone when I'm not able to get here.

I too really care for everyone here, and carry every person in heart and prayer throughout the days and sleepless nights, even in those times when I'm not able to participate in the threads.

Can't imagine my life without any of you!

One of my regrets is that with my brother's illness and death ripping so much out of me, I just haven't had the same spirit or energy to participate as whole-heartedly as I used to (here or anywhere else for that matter), so I've missed officially "meeting and greeting" a lot of the newer women here. Hopefully that will change this year.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/15/08 12:21 AM

Oh sweet Eagleheart, you WILL regain that strength....in time. My question, too, is how can one fall in love with so many friends here? I am smitten, taken by all the wonderful women here. I, too, can no longer imagine life without any of these wonderful women! Your strength will come back in time. I can't imagine life without you either. You are constantly a presence here....even when you're not or can't be. I hold you in my heart each day. Onward to a new year and a new inspiration for you and all of us. You are such a treasure, dear lady, and I don't think you're aware of how much you are! Come here and speak when you're comfortable, if only a word or two. I do pray you're feeling better now. Tell us when you're not well so we can pray....it's very powerful.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/15/08 12:22 AM

Anne, you're very often around! You make very good use of your time and I just love hearing your next words!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 02:20 AM

I check in daily but don't always post. I usually look at the active topics and skim through the posts, responding if I think I have something to contribute. And since classes are starting this week I probably won't be posting much. But all you wonderful ladies know that I will be rejoicing, sorrowing, and praying with all of you, even if I don't post.
Posted by: gims

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 05:36 AM

I have a problem with it, too...
I use the "Active Topics" link most of the time, and have found, when I do have time to go through the "Main Index," I've missed many discussions. I can only come in now and then... sometimes days pass before I can make a visit... by the time I re-enter, it's like "WHOA, I'll never catch up"... it's very discouraging.
But, then there other times, when I can visit at will, and the forums aren't busy at all... those times, I think, "Where is everyone? I'm missing the girls something awful!"

Oh, and there are the sleepless nights....

But, don't give up, humlan, I'm another that is glad you are here!!!
Posted by: orchid

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 05:39 AM

During my lunch break, I do pop in to at least check.

And later after work before going to bed.
It is near daily except when I'm on vacation (ie. out of town) or other stuff.

Does it take away from my partner?....He's often sitting right beside me ...at his computer..doing his stuff. Yes, I do occasionally show him some notes/stories.

Now time to deal with my drying hair before going to bed..
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 09:24 AM

I write my poetry each day. Also keep in touch with my son in the city on email so often pop in.
I look at weather reports also.Often I wonder when I see the long list of names on user list where the women who joined are.If they read but dont post.
If I dont reply to a post its because in that case I have nothing to add. Unlike in a physic group the last person to say something is usually smiled to or nodded to often here someone adds another slant and the topic changes .Then the topic can change and evolve. I love being shown a link and learning a new fact.Being in the UK means that I am a minority also not being a US citizen abroad like some.Often I have to debrief what I read.Politics...here I could contribure big time.I am at a distance regarding some things.Lola is busy But I can relate to her due to her living in London.I have a card to sent of a royal chapel nearby and I like that.As for Vegas...no way could I be there but I like reading and learning.Humlan why are you living in Norway?My daughter has visited there.and after all Norway once owned Orkney so we are comrads.
Mountain ash
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 10:41 PM

The first thing after morning shower and prayers is to grab breakfast, click in here to see whats what while having breakfast with all of you.
Then I'm off running whatever errandsa I have, if any. Then back and writiing at least 4 hours on the novel, without fail. Once I turn that off, I am here again to see whats what. I use to log on again every night before bedtime but since I have lapghans ordered to crochet, I am usually too tired after working on them and just fall into bed. As you can see by the number of posts I do post here faithfully.

If for some reason I can't get here, its like missing qauality bonding time with my girlfriends...
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/15/08 11:45 PM

Simply said...I can't! I pop in and read more than I post...but I don't have enough hours or even minutes to visit here as much as I'd like.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/16/08 12:52 AM

I check in when I am checking my email in the morning. Most of my friends are out of the state I live in so I am checking my email most mornings.

I will check in for a bit in the afternoon after I've finished what I've had to do if I can.

I make time for the site because the ladies are so great and I learn a lot from them!

dancer
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/16/08 02:57 AM

I don't come to the site when I am overwhelmed with life. It's funny, because of course that is when we need support the most. I think I missed a couple of months at a time in the last few years. This place is a life line to me. I do not let myself look from work. I make time at night, with a carton of ice cream, with my lap top, in my rocking chair, with a clippie in my hair, and the dogs asleep at my feet.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/17/08 04:56 PM

Mountain Ash, I live in Sweden. I am born in Prague, the Czech Rep. As a baby (1yr) we fled to the US after WW2 where I lived with my parents until I married my husband of 32yrs, who is also from the Czech Rep. He was living in Sweden, so we moved here. I had 5 kids with him and we divorced in 2000. I continue to live in Sweden because most of my adult children live here, except for one daughter. She lives with her family in the US..on the east coast. I am an American, naturalized when I was 13. But in my heart, I am a mixture of all 3 countries... Perhaps I am a citizen of the world..I think that there are alot of younger people in my situation today..because of all the trouble in the world.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/17/08 05:03 PM

Gimster, your situation sounds alot like mine. I get so frustrated when the threads I am interested in swerve in another direction and I haven´t had time to keep up. Yet, the "new path" is also interesting and thought provoking! And sometimes I feel so lost and out of it..and I don´t like that feeling when I come here. Because this has become my heart home..I have been thinking about the possiblity of a "note thread" or something like that. A place when we can just write quick notes to eachother if we don´t have time to "keep up" in a deep way. But maybe that would be too confusing???

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/17/08 05:13 PM

Eagleheart, my dearest dearest woman..having read your book, I worry about you when I read what you have written. Please keep a tiny, narrow path open to us here. Even if you just write a hello and tell us you are not feeling so well. It´s OK..we want you. We need you. I didn´t write this as a PM..but rather on the thread because there are many very competent and wise women here with a wonderful zest and smile for life itself..no matter how it unravels. And I think they can give you so much..nearly as much as you give to us..just by BEING YOU!!!!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers (done in my way with the help of yoga..hmmm)everyday!!!!

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/17/08 05:17 PM

O, Anno.."give it time" you wrote..you hit the nail on the head..as you often do. Patience..understanding for myself...yes, yes. Thank you!

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/17/08 05:32 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your answers here. It was actually fun reading all your answers because they gave an insight into your daily lives and how you cope or don´t cope ..sort of. I agree with you that this is a beautiful and fun place to be! I had no clue to what this place would mean to me when I clicked in a while back. No clue at all. Amazing! And thank you again!

Guess it´s ok to come and go when time is not on my side. That is reassuring. I still have my last child living with me/us. He´s 18..but my time is not always my own..of course, who really owns their time..right? Or? I have read about owning your time..but that´s tough at times.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/17/08 05:42 PM

Humlan, your love and care are so precious to me - thank you! I'm sorry to have worried you - the illness has been a combination of a gastro-virus I picked up during the cruise and a cold, which my grandkids gave me as a New Year's gift. The cold continues to zap my energy at times, but I'm able to do housework and get out and about now, so am on the mend. And since we're going south soon, and it's almost impossible to get things like antibiotics there, I'm going to the doctor on Monday...normally we try not to resort to medication, but this time she'll probably give me a prescription to take with me "just in case".

But emotionally, mentally I'm doing so much better now. On a much more even keel, spiritually grounded again, and staying well above the grief these days. The women here HAVE helped, enormously, in helping me through...I know without a doubt that I'm more stable now because of the wisdom, love, care and prayers that everyone here has poured into my life and heart. There is no way I can ever repay such kindness, but I can only hope that my continuing presence and voice here will find ways to "pay it forward".

Thank you again for your caring love, Humlan. I think of you so very often and always hope/pray that all is well with you too over there across the pond. You may be geographically far away, but the heart knows no distance - you are right here in mine more often than you know.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this site - 01/18/08 11:48 PM

Thank you for reply, Eagleheart. Relieved to hear that you are doing better in all areas, then. And I hope that your trip will be a good one. And that you won´t be needing those medications!

Your "ripples" are felt here by me and many others..as you know. Be sure of that!

It means so much to me to know that you are near!

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/18/08 11:52 PM

That Eagle has such a way with words she ought to write a book! Humlan, I'm glad you enjoyed the responses. I do confess that I let the housework go in favor of this site. PL

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/19/08 12:00 AM

Yup..so do I!!! Sometimes. My 18 yr old can be demanding..and I don´t always say no when I should..he´s my 5th. As Bernard Shaw said, "First I had alot of principles and no kids, now I have alot of kids and no principles" I love that one!

Eagleheart HAS written a book..but you know that, right?

HUGS!!!!

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/19/08 12:13 AM

Oh yes Humlan I received it as soon as she popped into BWS. Thanks for saying so, if I did not know. I have her book on my "blog" as a recommendation, along with "signs of depression." I like your quote from Shaw. Funny! and hugs to you too. L, PL

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/19/08 12:34 AM

Blushing here amidst the dust bunnies...

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/19/08 01:07 AM

Posted by: chatty lady

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/20/08 01:05 AM

Eagle from what I can see and feel, you have come such a long way since you wrote your book and began posting in here. Even though you have faced a dibilating tragedy with your brothers passing, you stayed strong and focused. I am so proud of the new you. You may not see or feel it, but others who love you and take to heart all that you say, do see the immense change from then to now, and its such a positive one...You are an inspiration to us all.

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/20/08 01:09 AM

well said, chatty. Eagle inspires me on a spiritual level as well, as do others. I think of her book not only about depression but also about a spiritual journey. Just saying. L, PL

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 03:10 AM

Chatty and Princess, I just posted a rather emotional outburst on another thread (the one about what we do well). It was humbling to leave that and come here and read your beautiful words - humbling and VERY uplifting and comforting.

Chatty, I really like the way this place has changed me. Losing my brother (he was also my best friend) did send me spiralling back into dark and mangled places, but I've been working hard to keep my head above the oft-times crippling sadness and focus on what I DO have and all the blessings that ARE enriching my life. I'm on my way out, and on solid ground again, but still not where I want to be. And sometimes that feels like failure - and I don't have any sense of my purpose or ability or where to go from here - but when I read your words here tonight, it helps give me positive perspective - and gratitude for the caring love here that has indeed helped me make it safe thus far.

Thank you both for being much-needed blessing in my life tonight!

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 03:41 AM

Eagle, you are like a painting in progress. Or Meredith's bead work. She says she does not always know what a piece will look like as she is creating it. That does not mean it is a failure, and I think you know that intellectually. You don't have to know the destination, you just keep on the path. Your purpose right now could be to just be. You worked so hard emotionally, physically, spiritually with and for your brother, hand in hand. Please rest and rest assurred that it is ok to have your sense of purpose lie fallow for a while. You know how farmers keep one field empty for a while, letting the soil rest? Then, the next season, the soil is fertile once again. Rest you mind, body, spirit. Bask in the love that is given to you, for you have given so much to others. LL, L

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 03:56 AM

Lynn, this is amazing. Yesterday we went to church and the sermon was called "Here I am, but send Harry". It was all about purpose. There was a lot of emphasis on each of us answering God's call to go and do whatever He asked of us. It was well done, but of course, left me feeling this sense of failure with no sense of purpose or direction. But I prayed earnestly for God to help me put that sermon in the context of my situation, because He knows my heart and knows my circumstances. I distinctly heard Him say "Rest for now; you are where I need you to be. When it's time to move, there will be no doubt in your mind where I want you to go and I will give you whatever resources you need when you need them."

Why is it so hard to accept that "just being" has as much purpose as any other calling? God has made it clear, in so many ways, that it's okay just to be still for now.

Besides, it gives me all this time to be here - where else could possibly be a better place to "just be" than right here?
Posted by: gims

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 06:38 AM

Not to interfere, but I must interject...That's beautiful, eagle...

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 06:27 PM

Gimster, your voice and your insights are dear to me, and I always embrace your presence with joy and gratitude. (So I could never see you as "interfering").

Princess and I got into a bit of emotional healing here last night; she was very uplifting and I went to bed with such joy - and even better, woke up this morning feeling a "joie de vie" that I haven't felt in a long time. We didn't mean to hijack the thread - but together with a couple of other threads going on at the time, it was a very healing couple of hours for me...

Re: How do you find the time to keep up with this - 01/22/08 06:54 PM

I am nodding here as I read..going along with Mountain Ash´s suggestion in another thread..I am therefore saying, I agree. I agree. I agree. With all of you, Chatty, Gimster, PL and you, Eagleheart!