Much to DO

Posted by: jawjaw

Much to DO - 01/27/04 07:54 PM

Hey, anybody in here wanting to have a complete make over besides me? I would love to have a "new DO" and dont really have a regular hairdresser, so being inbetween makes it a very scary thing...it is not that my hair won't grow back or that this is life or death, but there is nothing more depressing than walking around looking like Bozo...you know?
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Much to DO - 01/28/04 08:09 AM

Queen Bozo,
Don't forget your upcoming reunion. You'll want a spify Do for that. And you'll need to give it a test run past a couple of friends first.

There were some nifty locks on the Golden Globes. And the implants were certainly on display too. There was probably close to a million dollars worth of silicone in the room [Smile]

Complete makeover? Surely not. Maybe just a little spiffing up.

smile

P.S. Has anyone watched "Extreme" makeover? Boy that's more like miracle TV than reality TV.
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Much to DO - 01/28/04 03:52 AM

I have not seen the tv show but I could use a makeover.

Actually, I got highlights during the last dye job and lightened the whole head a few shades.

I really like it but it would go better with a little sunshine and all we are having here in the middle atlatnic is snow and ice.

Maybe I turned myself into an ice maiden?

I have not had a fingernail since my son was born 5 years ago. I could use a few of those too. I do grow my own but have resorted to biting again.

JJ-I think a makeover is great. Ijust would liek one of those Hollywood pros to do it. Then get up with me each morning and have me looking grat by six so I can go to work.

Maybe I should just stick to wishing for warmer weather!

Lynn

Re: Much to DO - 01/28/04 05:03 AM

hey....duhhh here...it just hit me that I have a close girlfriend whose sister does makeup and hair for celebrities! Yelllowwww! Course she charges 400.00for a sitting.

and we all went to the same high school...boy did she ever make it big.

I need to try and wiggle some blackmail material out of her sis and then threaten exposure unless she gives me a makeover...whatcha think? Good plan?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Much to DO - 01/28/04 05:46 AM

Walk into a new hairdresser's, sit down and say "Do it." Make sure you have at least 6 weeks "grow back time" to salvage it if the results are not what you want. And if you really hate it, buy a great hat.

It takes a lot of courage but the results can be worth it if you have an open mind. And every department store has make-up counters with free makeovers. Much cheaper than the $400 trip.

Re: Much to DO - 01/28/04 01:57 PM

As usual, the Divine Ms. M comes up with a perfect solution. Hugs girl.

And I may be crazy, but I ain't crazy enough to pay someone 400.00 to wash my hair and do my makeup...if I ever do, you know I have made it bigtime, eh? Still...it would be fun to have someone at your beck and call like Lynn said...Queen Bozo (now THAT's funny Smiles!)
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Much to DO - 02/04/04 07:21 PM

Queen, I can certaily relate to the makeover needs. It's the dead of winter here and my thoughts are turning to sunshine and beaches.

BUt then I remember the white, saggy skin. [Eek!] Any quick makeover ideas for that?

About the hair...I've basically worn my hair the same forever. Just got it cut shorter. The older I get, the shorter my hair gets. I just needed a change. I'd love to be able to carry off longer hair, but those days are gone for me.

Also, the hair mousey color needs something. Whatever...

Re: Much to DO - 02/05/04 06:22 AM

I say crawl into a tanning bed and go to the beauty parlor for some sun streaks in your hair.

Helps cure the winter blahs too.

smile
Posted by: Agate

Re: Much to DO - 02/07/04 06:00 PM

From these posts, I'm wondering if it's winter blahs that keep making me want to cut my hair off. Just about a year ago, I had hair down to my waist. I cut it off and donated it for a wig and have been keeping it about shoulder length since. I keep wanting to cut it shorter because it just never looks right to me at this length. I'm trying to be patient, with plans to grow my hair for 3 years then cut it way short on my 50th birthday. Not that you can't be over 50 and have long hair. It's just a deadline I've set to stop myself from cutting my hair on impulse. Although, being impulsive can be fun, but it can also be a disaster. All this compulsive thinking is why I'm really tempted to cut my hair and be done with it. Ya know what I mean?

Re: Much to DO - 02/08/04 08:33 AM

Hey agate,
I've struggled with that too.

Never waist length, but I've almost always had longish hair. About a year ago I got a bad perm and cut it off. Wore it short for about six months. Couldn't tell maintenance was any easier. I've been growing out it since summer. Now it touches my shoulders. My husband likes it.

Almost all my boomer friends have short hair and they look so nice, it's a temptation to cut mine. It might be more becoming, but I hate to follow the herd. Besides, I figured short hair would announce to the world that I was definitely older.

Seems like being this age is bad enough. I sure don't want to wear it on my head. [Smile]

smile
Posted by: scootermammy

Re: Much to DO - 02/08/04 06:35 AM

I don't think "being this age" is so bad!!! I always had long straight hair and then kept it shorter and shorter once I passed 40. Finally last year I bought one of those vacuum cleaner cutting devices (the Robo Cut) and I just set that thing at about 3" and go at it every six weeks or so! It looks just like all the other women my age that are standing in line at the store with me but mine is freeeeeeeeeee!

Re: Much to DO - 02/12/04 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootermammy:
I don't think "being this age" is so bad!!! I always had long straight hair and then kept it shorter and shorter once I passed 40. Finally last year I bought one of those vacuum cleaner cutting devices (the Robo Cut) and I just set that thing at about 3" and go at it every six weeks or so! It looks just like all the other women my age that are standing in line at the store with me but mine is freeeeeeeeeee!

Sounds too good to be true. You make me realize this is an option. An easy option. [Big Grin]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Much to DO - 02/13/04 11:55 AM

I have schizo hair.

Sometimes I go to the beauty parlor, sometimes my friend Barbara (retired beautician) cuts it, but 3/4 of the time I do it myself. Mostly when I'm bored.

It's straight and down to my waist in back. I braid it or put it up in a barrette. The front, sides and upper back are short, anywhere from 1-3" long, in varying combinations. I have bangs.

I always loved long hair, but I spent an entire lifetime with hair in my face. That's why the short front and sides.
Posted by: Julie

Re: Much to DO - 02/26/04 10:53 AM

I had a really bad short layered haircut before Christmas, that made me feel really OLD. [Mad] Why don't hairdressers ever listen?? I've been ignoring it and letting it grow ever since. But it is taking a long time. Then back to my boring shoulder length bob - at least I feel comfortable in that.

Re: Much to DO - 02/26/04 03:35 PM

Girl do I EVER know what ya mean...do what I do...when I go in, I grab the woman/man by their...uh..scissors, and say, "if you don't make me beautiful, my cousins Vinny will be by later." Works every time...course...I am da Queen. teehee...hahah...Oh Lord..it's gonna be one of thoseeee days...teeheeaaaa...hahah...

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Much to DO - 02/27/04 06:17 AM

Since I got older, I keep my hair short and its a medium brown with alot of silver white sneaking through so I use L'O'Real Highlighter, easy and cheap. Now a good cut is as hard to find as a good man, BUT pick a nice looking shop with stylists whose own hair looks decent, then tell them your just looking. Sit an hour or so and watch who does what to whom. See one you like, tell that operator to cut your hair exactly the same. Works everytime....Takes up part of your day while watching, so bring something along like a notebook and make notes of the gossip you hear for a book or have your nails done.

Re: Much to DO - 03/01/04 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chatty lady:
Since I got older, I keep my hair short and its a medium brown with alot of silver white sneaking through so I use L'O'Real Highlighter, easy and cheap.

Please tell me how the L'O'Real Highlighter works. You're the second person I've heard mention that in a week.
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Much to DO - 03/01/04 07:55 PM

Two years ago my neighbor started cutting my hair.
She called it a wedge. I think its a pixie.
Before she cut it the last time I curled it, came out of the bedroom and my husband and son did not like it. I had worn it that way for years. "No mom we like it how you've been wearing it." We were all laughing so hard I still have the pixie.
This one is easy to wash, blow dry and you're on your way.
Maggie

Re: Much to DO - 03/02/04 06:05 AM

Hey I use L'Oreo..ahem...I mean that other stuff too...I'm a redhead again! Well for a month.

Maggie, that is MYYYY kind of hair do! Blow n Go!