The End?

Posted by: FitlySpoken

The End? - 05/22/06 10:54 PM

Is there an END to Menopause?

Have been in it for about three years now, and believe me ... don't care for it one bit. I do however refuse conventional Dr.'s treatments. Have opted for the 'Blue Cohash' & 'Don Quia' ... herbals. I call it my 'darn quiet' medicine. I don't like the heated mood swings along with the hot flashes, along with the weight gain, along with the thinning hair, along with creeping wrinkles, along with ....

Well, you understand. And, I have been told that I have a light menopause. Whew ... sure am glad!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: The End? - 05/22/06 11:38 PM

I've been on the bio-identical hormones for about 5 months and I feel better than I've felt in about 6 years. I realize they may not be for everyone, but it's certainly worth checking out.

Daisygirl
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: The End? - 05/23/06 12:42 AM

As you get older, the menopause does lighten up a bit. I don't know if it ever really goes away.

Re: The End? - 05/23/06 01:05 AM

OH PLEASE!

Someone tell me this ends. That's ridiculous. I think God & me will have to have a long talk about all this. I cannot understand why we as women ... go thru all this. Sorry, just venting! [Embarrassed]

Catherine
Posted by: smilinize

Re: The End? - 05/23/06 02:06 AM

I say we all send God an email. He's gotta' do something about this.

smile
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The End? - 05/23/06 02:11 AM

I think it does end. At least let me say that for the past few months (maybe a year?) I haven't had any flashes or anything else. So I'm GUESSING (notice the caps?) that I'm thru it. I know women who never even go thru it. I think they should be punished.

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The End? - 05/23/06 03:50 AM

My period ceased to exist after May of 1990. I never experienced a hot flash or any of the other inconveniences so many of you speak of so I never could tell when my menopause ended or if it did yet? Lucky me!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The End? - 05/25/06 06:09 PM

LAdies, look at the home page and there is a free test you can order to see where you are with perimenopause and menopause. I ordered mine. I just keep forgetting to do the test first thing in the morning.

The instructions on the test say that once your have had no periods for one year, you're in menopause.
Posted by: cara4art

Re: The End? - 05/26/06 09:56 PM

New here - just joined up!
Menopause sure differs from woman to woman, and aside from some common effects, IMO it has alot to do with a person's health habits established well BEFORE menopause, as well as stress levels, for better or worse. It is becoming known that ongoing unresolved stress affects menopause as well as other women's health situations. Since alot of people are stressed-out, lots are also having an awful time with menopause. Some women are not excessively troubled, others are absolutely derailed with the worst of symptoms and depression, etc. At the age of 58(will be 59 next month)I am well on the other side of menopause(at age 51), so I can say from personal experience that I benefited greatly from some Chinese herbs for some hot flashes that were present for a couple of years, and my periods were irregular for about 3-4 years leading up to cessation. No weight gain, no thinning of hair, no mustache, etc. I would not touch hormones with a ten-foot pole, as my mother died of breast cancer when I was 31(she was 58 at the time). I have followed pretty much a natural foods diet with little meat and sugar, and virtually no alcohol since the age of 26. No smoking either, and have little to do with any prescription drugs as I have seldom needed them .
I would also follow up with what I said about health habits prior to menopause that that's when the chickens come home to roost.
Although it is true that metabolism drops with age if one does nothing about it, the good news is that it can often be offset to a good degree with discipline in the exercise(bodybuilding/weight-training for muscle and bone, reasonable cardio and flexibility training come to mind) and diet(natural foods featuring a ton of produce)department.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The End? - 05/26/06 10:10 PM

This makes good common sense to a degree and I never thought about PRIOR to menopause. Hmm...los of food for thought here. Thanks for much for the new point of view. I am mulling it all over.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Please do go to the WELCOME section and tell us all about yourself. We do hope you'll make this your home away from home!

JJ
Posted by: browser57

Re: The End? - 05/26/06 11:51 PM

I'm 58 1/2, stopped having periods over 6 years now. I was on synthetic hormone replacement for 7 (7ish) years. Went off when the panic set off by the bad results of the Nurses study. I thought I was over the worse part - but with no HRT the symtoms returned twice as bad. I stuck it out for about a year then tried bioidentical HRT. The brain fog was the hardest part for me. I honestly thought I was losing my mind - stumbling over every sentence...

I love the bioidentical HRT - although it is a bit of a hassle. I work with a compounding pharmacy which I pay out of pocket, then I submit to my insurance - which only pays for certain things. But, as I have said before - this aging stuff isn't for sissies.

I know that certain things affect the hot flashes: caffine and too much chocolate!! I have gotten away from my routine exercise since we have been in the processing of moving - but DH bought me a new VCR/DVD for my basement workout room and I'm ready to get back at it next week. Exercise is crucial in keeping me flexible, and my bones stong - also - along with the fact that it keeps me sane. DH especially likes that part.

I suppose technically for me it's over. I think our generation is never going to sit back like our grandmothers and just get old. I think we will always think of ourselves as "The 60's generation" and getting old aint workin for us.
Posted by: flossie

Re: The End? - 05/27/06 02:56 AM

Boomer sisters.....hey browser, I have the dvd with my gym gear, best way to do a workout routine IMHO! And not a truer word was spoken "This aging stuff isn't for sissies"....it sucks doesn't it!

And Cara4art, I too followed a healthy lifestyle for many years, yoga, natural diet, etc....although unlike you I still feel I need the wine! But I'm afraid I was forced into menopause having had a total hysterectomy 5 months ago....at 51, I was still having regular but slightly heavier periods. All the natural stuff hasn't stopped me from the hot sweats yet, but I'm hoping the natural progesterone cream will do the trick eventually.

My mother too died of cancer, but my mother was in her 60s. Not a pleasant experience to watch a disease take someone away.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts.

Re: The End? - 05/27/06 03:47 AM

Anne, is this because you haven't been without a period for an entire year??

They all say you are in menopause when you don't have a period for a whole year, but sometimes that's when the sweats and things can get worse. I had regular periods until almost 52 when I had a hysterectomy, now my body is in menopause I am now not getting any period (of course!!!) but I have the darned sweats something terrible. Forgive me repeating myself here....but I find everyones experiences very interesting.

My sister in law stopped getting her periods in her forties and no symptoms.....they just stopped, whammo....nothing more! Zippo!! And some others on the site have experienced something similar.

Speaking of books, has anyone read:

http://www.thebodyblues.com/

I've just picked it up from my library.....only a ¼ way through it but it's very good.

Re: The End? - 05/28/06 07:36 AM

I went to the web site but I've never read the book. have you? If so, mind telling us about it?

Re: The End? - 05/29/06 01:12 AM

Just getting into the book at the moment, you know these sorts of books.....lots of info and heavy reading to begin with before they get into the programme!

At the moment I'm reading about the biology of the body blues. Will let you know more when I get to the Levitiy programme. The place I got my Serenity Cream from has Levitiy vitamins and such.

I'll keep you posted.
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: The End? - 05/29/06 02:29 AM

Girls, I just turned 58, didn't have a period for 14 months and then BOOM...had one last December (Merry Christmas!). My GYN freaked out and did the whole magilla of testing - that awful edometrial biopsy, where you want to jump off the table, an ultrasound, the CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer. Thank God, all were fine. His explanation was that I had a "surge of estrogen" which caused me to have a period (and a regular one I might add). So much for the "one year" thing of being into full menopause. Guess I am back into that peri-menopause stage. These flashes are much worse the past month and I don't have a clue why. I eat and drink NO CAFFEINE for the past 3 years and exercise regularly. Hormone therapy is out for me since my heart attack 2 1/2 years ago. The GYN tells me there is an end in sight, but he never says when!! That fan and my A/C are my best friends. Hey, whatever works!!

Re: The End? - 05/31/06 12:58 AM

Pam, poor you! And that biopsy....ghastly isn't it!

Did you get another period since that Christmas one?

Re: The End? - 05/31/06 07:10 AM

No Flossie, no period since this past Christmas. No signs of any either,but those flashes are worse than ever. I really just bear with it and hope it will be over soon!

Re: The End? - 05/31/06 02:10 PM

Pam, you have a few more months before you are considered in menopause. I've read it takes a year to get through. I've also heard that some women get another period after many months and then have to begin counting months again.

Do you take anything to help with the hot flashes?

Re: The End? - 06/06/06 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
I went to the web site but I've never read the book. have you? If so, mind telling us about it?

Dotsie, I finished the book, 'When Your Body Gets the Blues' is about a program called the Levitiy Program. They say to beat the blues we need sunlight, (well just lots of light in general) 20 minutes of walking per day and vitamins all included in a Levitiy B Formula. (or of course you can get them separately) The formula contains Vit B¹,B²,B6, folic acid, Vit D³, and selenium.

Three easy steps and you can beat your bodies blues. All sounds rather simple! I'm going to try the B formula, and I do walk daily, as for getting sunlight....well being winter there's not too much of that here at the moment!!!

Re: The End? - 06/06/06 05:48 PM

Thanks for the good information. Are you taking all those vitamins? Also, my MIL had a couple of those lights that are similar to the natural sun light. Have you heard of them? I think they sell them at Sharper Image and/or Brookstone. They aren't cheap but they worked for her.

Re: The End? - 06/07/06 12:48 AM

No, Dotsie, I'm not taking all those vitamins.....yet, I'm going to purchase the B Formula (all those vitamins in one small tablet). Not that I have the BLUES but from reading the book I gather they help make you feel more uplifted.

Interesting about the light, I might look into it further and see if they having something similar over here.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The End? - 06/09/06 02:11 AM

Flossie those 'true as sunlight' light bulbs really work...I use them and have recommended them to friends living in the Midwest where it can be cloudy for weeks on end.

Re: The End? - 06/11/06 03:37 AM

Wow ...

well sisters, we know we are not alone in this 'female' thing.

Really, must say that the herbs I take do help ... and minimize my discomfort. Have gained a little weight, lost a little weight, a few gray hairs on the way, and all the aging stuff that comes with it. Thank God it is a slow process and a very natural process to boot. Always wonder what women in the older centuries went through and did to alleviate the female hormone symptoms. Will have to do a little history study.

I do wish each of you the very best in and thru all of this menopause stuff ... since we are all quite unique and handle it in our own way accordingly.

Re: The End? - 06/11/06 05:59 AM

Sorry Dotsie, I missed your post from 5/31. No, I do not take anything for my hot flashes. They are truly horrible. I had a heart attack 2 1/2 years ago after taking that 50 mg. Imitrex for my migraines and am not allowed to take anything for menopause. Hormones are absolutely OUT! And, the over the counter herbal stuff is not recommended either. I listen to my cardiologist as if he were a god! Really, he is wonderful. Sooooo....I simply hang on to the hope that it will be over soon!
Posted by: bamgibbs

Re: The End? - 06/11/06 08:49 PM

I'm in what's known as perimenopause, which my gynecologist says is the onset before full blown menopause. So why do we have to have a PREVIEW??? I say BRING IT ON and GET IT OVER WITH.

By the way, I've written about this very subject in a book entitled: WHATEVER! A baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age.
Read the reviews on my website and I would certainly appreciate your support of the book.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly
www.talk2bev.com
WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

Re: The End? - 06/11/06 10:52 PM

Pam, Im so sorry you have no relief. Do you have hot flashes at night? If so, Rick and June (Kathy) has sleepwaer that can help.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: The End? - 06/11/06 11:52 PM

Bamgibb, I totally agree with you....why do we need the preview! [Confused] Can't we just get on with it and be DONE with it!

~cookie~

Re: The End? - 06/12/06 12:44 AM

But Bamgibb and Cookie, once its over with and you pass from the perimenopause stage to the actual menopause stage you still get the flashes, sweats, and who knows what else. I'm total menopause at 52 (total hysterectomy 6 months ago) and I haven't found the cure for this excessive body heat....yet,.....and some here say it can still go on for a fews years!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: The End? - 06/12/06 01:28 AM

Oooooooooh, Flossie, now I didn't want to hear that!! [Smile]

Re: The End? - 06/12/06 05:16 AM

Me neither!!!! SCARY!

Please check out my website and sign my guest book.
Don't you just love this site?!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly
www.talk2bev.com
Author, WHATEVER! A baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

Re: The End? - 06/13/06 01:39 AM

Stick around you two because I'm experimenting with various things to releave the sweats.......... and when I find it!??!...... I'll let you know!

Re: The End? - 06/13/06 02:02 AM

Oh Flossie...
Can you hurry up?! [Smile] The only good thing about a hot flash is when I'm at the gym, the sweat and heat all seems to mix together with the strenuous workout so it's not as noticeable!

Beverly
www.talk2bev.com
Posted by: cara4art

Re: The End? - 06/13/06 06:05 PM

What worked for me when I had my flashes for a couple of years was a Chinese patent medicine called Da Bu Yin Wan - I noticed an effect within 3 days! I took them on and off over a two year period, as needed. American ginseng is good too, as it builds vitality, plus it is a cooling and moistening form of ginseng(the regular panax it too heating - you don't want that right now). This is a whole lot better and healthier than going the hormone route, IMO. Your mileage may vary on this one, but looking into traditional Chinese medicine might be a good idea, as they have a long track record with dealing with women's conditions. If your condition is more severe than what a patent herbal formula would address, the acupuncturist will prescribe a custom formula of a bag of herbs to cooked up by you at home. This is the strongest form of the herbal medicine! Often, the drink looks and tastes exactly like mud-water, but trust me, these are good things(had this type of stuff for flu)! Acupuncture treatments, and especially the herbal formulas will really help balance out the body and improve one's general health and vitality. Plus in TCM the whole attitude towards women is different, not the patronizing one so commonly found in Western(esp. male doctors)medicine.
I haven't had experience with this, but supposedly Western herbs like black cohosh, etc. are good too.
A few Chinese dietary tips to reduce the dehydrating heat one has going on with hot flashes, is to either cut out(or seriously limit) the heating, drying culprits like coffee, hot spicy food(if that seems to aggravate your symptoms - if it doesn't and you like hot spicy then by all means keep it). Alot of meat(esp. red), sugar and alcohol make hot flashes worse too. The presence of these last three in the diet over a long period of time leading up to menopause almost guarantee extreme menopausal symptoms. As far as the meat(unless organic or wild), the presence of all sorts of antibiotics and hormones in it have something to do with it, and not in a good way either! So the Chinese indicate the dietary antidote(along with an appropriate herbal formula)is moistening, cooling foods - this a good time to get in alot more raw produce(both fruits and veggies)into the diet if it is not there already. Load up on those meal-in-a-bowl salads, with the emphasis on the greens, and a nutritious, homemade dressing. Simple soyfoods like tempeh and tofu are good too, better than taking the so-called soy supplements, which can be unbalancing. Cooling drinks like lemon or lime ice water are good, too, especially with summer right upon us, and very alkalizing, so much better and way cheaper than soda(avoid that stuff like the plague!)If you do some research on the web about Chinese medicine and diet most likely you'll be able to find lists of foods that are cooling and moistening.
Second, exercise, exercise, and exercise - this has to be part of your day. Strength training, Ashtanga yoga(very active, powerful, strengthening form of yoga that can have a HUGE effect on balancing hormones as one of its positive effects), and of course cardio of some sort.
Last but not least, ongoing stress will certainly make hot flashes worse, so anything you can do for "stress-busters" is especially indicated, like yoga, meditation, inner spiritual work.
If you do implement a several-pronged approach, the hot flashes will be safely addressed, and you can seriously improve your overall health in the process!
Hope this all helps!

Re: The End? - 06/13/06 10:45 PM

What a great bunch of Ladies we have here and the replies are trememdous.

Being smack right in the middle of menopause ... or hopfully nearing its ending binge ... I have really found all your comments and suggestions of great help and relief.

Thank you all so much. AND, in the mist of all this ... we can continue to be vital and vibrant women too!

Re: The End? - 06/15/06 01:04 AM

Once again Cara4art......great info in that post. I know where there is a Chinese medicine shop so might go looking for that Da Bu Yin Wan and try that. I'm not liking the hormone cream!

Have you heard of Maca? I've seen it mentioned a few times on this site as being good for hot flashes?
Posted by: suze

Re: The End? - 06/27/06 01:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
LAdies, look at the home page and there is a free test you can order to see where you are with perimenopause and menopause. I ordered mine. I just keep forgetting to do the test first thing in the morning.

hi

I cannot see where this is on the home page .. is it possible to post a direct link in this thread?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: The End? - 06/27/06 02:10 AM

If you go to www.boomerwomenspeak.com, then scroll down, it's in the middle of the page. It shows a box titled "moments" with a smiling woman (she must not be in menopause!) and there is a link underneath that will take you to that site.