My Nuclear Stress Test

Posted by: Pam R.

My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/10/07 03:41 PM

Today was my yearly nuclear stress test that happens every January since my 2003 dreaded heart attack. It's a 5 hour test of needles, machines and the treadmill. I will admit however, that I get better and better each year on the treadmill due to the mandatory exercising prescribed by my cardiologist. I actually am living proof that exercising makes a difference. As much as I complain, today I was able to sustain a longer treadmill time, speed and incline. The PA and nurses were very impressed! I get my all test results at the end of the month. Wish me luck!
Posted by: Lola

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/10/07 07:19 PM

Good luck, Pam. Hope all continues to be well.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/10/07 07:23 PM

Sounds like the results are going to be great. The word 'treadmill' makes me squeamish. You are obviously taking good care of yourself and it's paying off.
Good Luck, Pam.

chick
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/10/07 07:35 PM

Wow, that's awesome, Pam. Good luck with your test results.

I have Spinal Stenosis. They won't let me run the treadmill for my heart tests. I have to have it done chemically.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/10/07 09:39 PM

Tells me Pam that I best get my lazy butt in gear, before I am sorry!
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/11/07 01:53 AM

Pam,

How did it go?
Posted by: Anno

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/11/07 03:02 AM

I had a heart attack almost 2 years ago now. Never heard of a nuclear stress test. Tell me more, if you please.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/11/07 05:39 PM

May I ask you, Pam and Anno, if you had any problems with your heart before; like an irregular heart beat or a racing heart? Do you have to take medication now, and how are you doing?
Sorry I'm bombarding you with these questions. It's just that Hubby has been having problems.

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/11/07 11:26 PM

Hannelore
No problem. Love to answer your questions. I never had any heart problems before, that I knew of, but I did have high blood pressure and had migrane headaches at least twice a week. After my heart attack, they noticed an irregular heart beat, a bit of a flutter really, but the doctors do not feel it caused my heart attack.

I take lots of medications. 2 for cholesteral, 2 for blood pressure and asprin and another blood thinner.

I am doing great. Seems, I had a genetic disposition to high bad cholesterol and the medications have helped with that. I have always eaten well, and now I eat even better. I walked an hour a day for a year, and have cut back to about 30 minutes, plus yoga.

If you are worried, go to the doctor. If you do not get the answers that match your questions, push more. I was very concerned about my blood pressure, because it had always been very low. That, combined with the migranes, convinced me, but not my doctor, that something was drastically wrong. Unfortunatley it took a heart attack for me to be heard.

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/12/07 01:44 AM

I will get all my results next Thursday and I will keep you all posted. I am feeling great since that horrible day of Nov. 7, 2003! No, I never had any heart problems, but did have high blood pressure that was controlled by medication. I also had severe migraines and as I have posted before in the past, I took a 50 mg. Imitrex for a migraine that night and 35 minutes later had what they call a "vaso-spasm" heart attack. I have heart damage but luckily I was at the ER within 40 or so minutes. I knew immediately that something was happening. They gave me the clot buster which probably saved my life then air lifted me to the medical center in our community. Now, for the past 3 years I have mandatory testing every January.

I do take lots of meds though. I take 2 cholesterol pills, 3 High Blood Pressure pills and aspirin. I am allergic to plavix, the blood thinner...so aspirin is all I can take.

Anno, a Nuclear Stress Test is when you are injected with nuclear medicine. You go under a scanner first to have slides determine how your heart muscle is funtioning. That takes about 20 minutes. Then, you go on the treadmill for about 15-20 minutes at different intervals of speed and incline. They then inject more nuclear medicine into your veins. You are hooked up to a EKG machine and a Dr. runs the whole program. They increase the speed and check your heart rate while asking if you are ok!! Then they speed up more and more, and so on. When the test is completed you then go under the scanner again for another 20 minutes that will determine what your heart muscle function is after exercising. The whole test, with waiting and processing takes about 4-5 hours! Much of the time is sitting in the waiting area and reading while the meds do what they should do, I guess. You cannot go near young children or pregnant women for 24 hours after the test since you are radioacitve! Anyway, it really isn't such a bad test to go through. In fact, I have gotten to know many of the techs and doctors in the department since I have had it done 4 times. Bring a good book, it will pass the time. I am surprised that you have not had one yet. Ask your cardiologist about it. I know many people, men and women who have it done regularly with heart problems.

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/12/07 05:15 AM

Thanks Ann and Pam for your quick responses. So glad you ladies are doing better than before. My Hubby has been to a doctor, but I've learned never to stop there, and keep asking questions. His blood pressure is low and so his cholesterol, but he often has heart racing. He takes the aspirin and beta blockers.
Thanks again for answering; you have both confirmed what the doctor has told us.

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/12/07 04:02 PM

Thanks for the information and I will ask at my next doctor's visit. I did have damage, but it was minimal and in the anterior (jeeze, I think it was anterior; senior moment here) and my heart seems to functioning quite well. Maybe this is why no further extra testing?

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/12/07 04:04 PM

Hannelore, you are so very welcome. Glad to be of any help I could.

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/19/07 01:01 AM

Good news girls...I had my followup today on all my annual heart tests. I did GREAT! My ejection fraction was in the high 68% which is very, very good after a heart attack! My blood was all good, my Echo was fine as was my carotid artery test. I just have to keep up the good work. Of course, all the results are based on a person having had a heart attack, but I am very happy. My meds will stay the same for the time being...thank goodness, since I usually have horrible side effects with many drugs. I see the Doc again in May and will continue watching my diet and of course exercising! Thanks for all your good luck posts!

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/19/07 09:32 AM

Sooooo for you and that heart of yours. Here's saluting you to a new begin, stay strong and healthy.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/19/07 10:51 AM

Well Pam, Hannelore has said it all, the show off, LOL. But I agree whole heartedly. Man, these Boomer prayers are some strong medicine. God Bless!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: My Nuclear Stress Test - 01/19/07 11:53 AM

Pam, I'm celebrating your good news and your self-discipline! You are a perfect example of what a difference walking can make in one's life. Keep on trucking girlfriend.