The Value of Taking Time Off

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

The Value of Taking Time Off - 10/20/15 08:22 PM

Are you a workaholic? Do you pride yourself on working long hours and never taking vacations?

I once did, but I'm reformed. I now understand the value of sleep, and the huge benefits to be accrued from planned time off - as in a vacation.

Here's a geat article I just ran across that makes the hows and whys of this perfectly clear.

And, of course, we really do need to put ourselves first!
Posted by: jabber

Re: The Value of Taking Time Off - 11/01/15 08:37 PM

If you don't take care of yourself, who will? And it's very difficult to gain an objective perspective on one's own work. I guess this is why the literary world needs editors. I've heard it said, "If you're a writer, write some everyday." But that seems unreasonable. Humans' need to be well-rounded; and, doing nothing but writing is an impossible goal. IMHO...
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: The Value of Taking Time Off - 11/02/15 07:38 PM

Right Jabber, But what if you just planed to write for 20-30 minutes each day? Like at the end of the day? In a journal? Then you'd be writing, while the events of the day are fresh. But not taking all day to write...
Posted by: jabber

Re: The Value of Taking Time Off - 11/02/15 11:22 PM

That's fine if a person just wants a journal. But if you're trying to write books, it takes time, time, and more time. As you know, the process is very time-consuming. If I didn't have a husband, two dogs and a house to take care of, I'd write more.
But as it is, I can only do it part time and that really doesn't do it justice. The truly successful authors, go off by themselves and write in seclusion for 10-12 hours a day. I like writing. But I like living, too....