Diets - The Final Frontier

Posted by: jawjaw

Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:16 PM

Ladies,
As you all know, while caregiver for Daddy, I also quit smoking, had a car wreck that nearly killed me, and was out of work for three months as a result of it. During this time, I managed to put on 30 pounds. I was already carrying around an extra 15-20 pounds, so now I resemble a basketball with teeth. Good thing I'm cute. Ahem...

I always put my goals down on paper and that makes them more real, easier to follow, at least for me. What I would like to know (in earnest) from you all is your opinions on

Atkins
South Beach
Weight Watchers
Nutrisystem
Jenny Craig
The Zone
Abstaining (least fav)

What I would like to know is have you tried any of these? Were you successful? Failed? Did you have any medical reprecussions? For instance, I went on the Atkins diet one time and my liver count skyrocketed (during the wreck recuperation period) and my doctor said, "get off that diet immediately!" Any discussion on these diets would be appreciated. Oh and also, did you do anything "extra" while doing these diets, like exercising, praying, eating your young...whatever!

Why am I asking? Well, cause I want to loose some weight and I'm giving it serious thought as to which way to go...

p.s. you don't have to just talk about the ones above... ANY diet or input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, JJ
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:30 PM

JawJaw, I don't do or recommend any of those fad diets. There's too much counting, eliminating and this and that. You already know what works for me and I'm not starving or feeling poorly. No medications, no arthritis and no high blood pressure. I fit into clothes from the junior department.

Again, check out any of the material produced by Dr. John McDougall. I've been doing it for over ten years now and it works.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:34 PM

LB,
I did read the book and it was an eye-opener, but I felt it was too restrictive, and couldn't see myself "sticking" to it as a lifestyle...you know what I mean? I felt like after I read it, there was nothing left but cardboard to eat. Now that is a big exaggeration, and I know it, but maybe if you gave me (again) and for the benefit of everyone here, a "run-down" of this diet, along with what you typically eat, I might see it differently... MAYBE? I am certainly open to discussing it! I do so appreciate your input because I am serious about it. And you know me, I don't DO serious...Thanks LB!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:36 PM

And LB, I should have called it a "lifestyle" instead of a diet, yes?

JJ
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:52 PM

JJ, it's very easy for me to lose weight, but it's also very easy to gain it back. Last year I lost quite a bit by following the Adkins diet, but I actually didn't follow it all that closely. Basically, I cut down on sweets, bread and pasta. I didn't count anything and I noticed that I didn't crave sweets as much on this diet. I never felt hungry, either.

The Adkins is healthy compared to what my body is used to. I over-eat when I'm bored, depressed about something, stressed or driving on a business trip.

Daisygirl
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 07:55 PM

Ladybug...I also need to loose some weight, and would be interested in seeing the diet you and JJ are talking about.

JJ, I know the hubby's aunt was on the Adkins, and the South Beach diet for awhile. She's Italian and loves to cook for family...then the eating goes right along with all of it. So, I not sure she really stayed with it the way she should, cause she didn't have alot of sucess.

Before, I met hubby he had been on Weight Watchers diet, and did really well with that one.
He has a problem yo-yo'ing, plus he's diabetic.

Since I stopped smoking I've wanted to eat everything in sight. Was having a daily bowl of ice cream right before bed...so I've cut that out.
Weight seems to flucate up and down, think some of it is due to the heart and water retention.
But, the blood pressure is down.

Normally, what works for me is running from the food, and listening to my stomach complain.
Or, putting that twittle plate of food in front of myself at dinner. (twittle: hardly anything)!
Holidays seem to make things even worse.

Waiting to see the reply's from the other ladies also.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 08:03 AM

JJ, You had such a difficult time and so many things happening back then, God love you.

It sounds like you are READY to tackle this - with READY being the key word of the month around here.

How do we lose weight? is as plain as the nose on our faces. We know the answers but we are all looking for quick, easy and painless ways to rid ourselves of excess weight. The only problem is we want it now! CAN"T HAPPEN! You need to get into the habit of eating healthy for the most part and the weight will take care of itself. It is a forever kind of thing,(with a dash of badness when you just can't help yourself)
You know how we can become obsessed with something like this. If we are wanting to lose weight what do we do? We think about Food, food food - all day long and end up eating more than when we weren't dieting.

Remember when Dianne said, If your still craving (cigs) then it means you are not ready. Gosh those words did it for me...

Eat and forget you're on a Diet, because you're not...you're feeding your body what it needs to make it through the day. Just be more particular about what you want it to have.
Another aspect to healthy living is exercise...We all hate it - how to get around it? By moving not sitting. (I know there are other ways...I hate 'em all.)
Lets make this topic for you and others like they did for the smokers - It sure helped me!

With you all the way,
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 08:14 AM

Chick,
Truer words were never spoken... And honey, did you EVER hit the nail on the head. I know me, and once I make my mind up, I'm almost obsessive about my methods. However, I also know me in that it has to be structured and laid out there.

So, a friend once told me that what makes us well, you know, that three letter word...it was simply the food we put in our mouths. There again, more trueism...

Given all of that... and because I am SOLEY in charge of my menu's and grocery shopping... here is a sample of what I eat, almost weekly. Anybody want to take a shot at what wrong with this picture? Chick?

Breakfast
Either one or two pieces of toast, usually no butter, but sometimes yes

Lunch
sometimes not at all, but if I do, its late in the day around 2ish... and usually soup (homemade) with a side order of pickled baby corns. Or maybe a sliced cucumber... or a salad.

Dinner
Sometimes a lein crusine or weight watchers frozen pizza, or an package of those Szechuan frozen veggies (gawd, I'm addicted to these) or maybe a package of the broccolli, cauliflower, carrots in butter one...

Snacks later at night include but are not limited to one ice cream bar (dollar store) or a nutty butty. Sometimes I just have a peppermint or two and that's all.

So, you see I don't eat that much. So do you think it is the exercise that I need to add? I don't do ANY....Just the mention of it makes my butt want to crochet barbwire... BUT... I want to do this!

Oh, one more thing...my menu for lunch and supper are sometimes reversed. And sometimes, the only thing I eat at all ALL DAY LONG is a salad. With ranch dressing.

My eating habits are terrible, of this I know...

Let's face it, I'm a toad...JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 08:40 AM

Toad? So that's how you got to be Queen!

Breakfast - not enough. I guess if you drop your toast it will never be butter side down. Always eat breakfast and eat enough to keep you hunger pang free for a couple hours. When you get hungry, eat a fruit - I am banana gal...pick peel and eat - I wish all foods came that way! If you miss breakfast, your metabolism is "royally screwed" for the day.

Try your fav cereal with milk. Have some eggs with chees, yogurt or cottage cheese. OR something you love that's not too fatty. NEVER SKIP even if it's a banana. Eat what YOU like.

Lunch -Never Miss or you'll be eating for two later on in the evening. Soup's good. Sandwich and salad. Don't eat what you think is good. Eat what you like that IS good. Don't obsess about it.
If you miss meals your body goes into starvation mode and your body starts eating itself...Anyone want to challenge this? I think I'm right...

Dinner if it comes in a box/can or frozen food section - don't touch it - the salt content will kill you!
Make something...this also keeps you on the move. Hate to cook? Slap it in a roaster with real veggies and set it and forget it. Dinner for one, for three meals .i.e Slap chicken and veggies in oven...1. roast chicken w veggies = 2.chicken sandwich = 3.chicken soup made with already cooked left over veggies.
More to come...
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 08:45 AM

I think Chickadee did say it best. I also think some of the weight problems are tied into our hormonal changes as well.

If you can't give up meat just alter the McDougall diet to include a little. My husband lost a lot of weight without fad diets. I just altered the McDougall diet for him. I think if you can learn to cook food without ANY oils, cheeses, butter or margarine you are taking a step in the right direction. I'm really a person committed to healthier eating so it's easy for me to stick to this lifestyle. I never skip meals and eat whenever I'm hungry, which, come to think of it is now. My breakfast will be brown rice with chickpeas and black beans. I cooked up a large amount yesterday and just heat up the portions I want out of the tupperware container it's stored in. Ugh, I hear you all saying! LOL!!!!I use to loathe brown rice but now I love it. Daisygirl is right, breads and pasta put on a lot of weight. Pasta made with whole wheat is more filling so you could have 1 or 2 cups at lunch. There really are a lot of good salad dressings without oil in them. I don't really eat too many salads. If you've got a Trader Joes near you they have lots of good frozen veggie combos. Just read the bags to notice the *total fat grams per serving. If you absolutely love meat buy a smaller steak and do what I do for my husband and son. I cut off every speck of fat. There really is too much on a good strip or Porterhouse anyway. It still has good flavor.
Dr. John McDougall has a website where you can get an idea of what he's about but I caution you, if you would never consider vegetarianism he's not for you. But as I said before, you can take what you like from his ideas. It worked for my husband and he's not a vegetarian.

[ December 14, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 08:52 AM

Chick has it down "pat." That's exactly how I lost my 60 lbs. I will never go on a diet again. I just eat right, and cut down on the portions. Breakfast is very important!!!!
I find eating a larger lunch, and a very small dinner really helps me.
I'm still working on the last ten lbs.
And YES.....exercise!!
I do water aerobics 3 times a week and Pilates inbetween with some weight training.
No more fad diets for me. It's a complete lifestyle change.
Good luck.......you to can do it!!!
Lynne

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 09:10 PM

LB, I guess one could consider me a vegeterian with the exception of a turkey pattie every now and then. I do eat some tuna occassionally, but hardly ever do I eat chicken, and I don't care for steak. It's okay, but I can leave it.

I do eat a lot of salads. A lot.

You brought up a good point though and I'm going to do some research on it. I excercised one time for 6 weeks straight walking at least for 30 minutes a day. I didn't lose one inch and no pounds. I felt better, but that was it.

That was last year. It was so frustrating! Then I ran across an article about menopause and weight gain, and how some women gain in the middle and CAN'T loose it no matter how hard they try, felt I was in that category and gave up. How silly of me... but I did. Anyway, as I said, serious this time.

I think I will try eating more breakfast and lunch, and less supper, although I don't eat a lot of supper as it is...but I DO have snacks late at night.

And I am not drinking my water like I use to. Water aerobics...hmmm... that might work too. I hadn't thought of that. I love to walk though and it is just a matter of getting back into that routine. Not only was it good for me physically, it cleared the cobwebs!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 09:13 PM

JJ, as for the exercise problem, I used to know a lady from Phily who lost a bunch of weight and all she did was walk. She didn't change her eating habits at all. Trixie would be a good companion for you to walk with and she would love it if she's healthy enough to do it. I would walk Daisy more, but afterwards, I need a trip to the chiropractor. Your climate is not too hateful either.

It looks to me like you eat like a bird already.

Daisygirl

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 09:24 PM

Women, you have given me sooo much to think about. And you just wouldn't believe how determined I am to do this! Thanks for giving me your thoughts and experience. Please keep them coming. I feel like the smokers right now, you know? I can give them advice all day long and encourage them, but now I need the advice and encouragement and so I see how they must feel. Way to go girls! I have always had a problem with asking people for help. I've always done everything on my own. I say that's too much pride and a person could choke on it. The new me is more open and honest. Today a toad, tomorrow a diva! Liva la diva!

A famous woman once told me, the only way to make this work, is to work on it.

How appropriate... course that does leave no room for whining...hmm...

Many, many thanks!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 09:30 PM

Here's a few pointers that worked for me over the years.

NEVER miss a meal.
Eat a fruit in between meals to get you through til bnext meal.
Eat what YOU like, that's healthy.
If you must Fry, try using broth.
Steam veggies. The real ones.
Drink water and get into the habit.
Use diet drinks if you must have soda... but try to cut back.
Use preserves, jam or jelly rather than butter on toast.
Butter or margarine which is better? Butter for me...used on occasion.
Cut back on coffee/tea sweetener a few grains at a time until it's gone. May take a few months.
Eat real foods (minimal boxes/ cans/ pkgs)too much salt.
Close salt shaker and shake more but use none.(lol, mind over matter)
Keep a record. I did and it showed where I could enhance eating healthier, cut out diet drinks and drink more water. (I highly recommend BWS diet forum)
Exercise by doing what you like. Walking is natural. Walk anywhere...
If you want a 'treat', have a treat - don't deny yourself all the time. I eat my treat while I'm grocery shopping, keeps from being hungry and buying Junk.]
DO NOT BUY JUNK.
DO NOT BUY JUNK.
DO NOT BUY JUNK.

more to come...
chcik

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 09:52 PM

I suppose Oreo's fall under the "JUNK" category, eh?

Thanks Chick.. I'm thinking I'll do me a timeline where I can see the success as it comes. I love Excel so why not make a chart? It beats drawing on the walls. And congrats on the quit smoking thang...

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 10:04 PM

JJ, the lady who lost by walking walked a long time, can't remember how long. You can research walking and see what you'd have to do. Walking is sort of boring, but if you get a speedometer?, an iPod, take your cell phone, you could find a way to entertain yourself and accomplish some things. Just a thought - I'm convincing myself too.

Daisygirl

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 10:08 PM

Really good list Chickadee! Yes, and do take a walk. I do 2.2 mi., in the morning and 4.6 mi., at night. If you can't do that much at least do the two miles and walk briskly. This exercise is free and releases endorphins which make you feel good afterwards.

Another good little guide to get you started (as I did over ten years ago) is a book I'm sure most of you have heard of: Stop the Insanity! by Susan Powter. When I first saw her I thought to myself, never would I take advice from someone who looks like a plucked chicken. I thought wrong.
Her book made so much sense and it was in her book that she referred to Dr. John McDougall.
Yes, we could make this another self-help forum to encourage each other! [Wink]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/14/05 10:20 PM

Very good advice LB and Daisygirl. I've been sitting here formulating my plan of attack and also thinking about something that Vicki Taylor did when she lost all of her weight. She marched during commercials on TV. Let's face it, that's at least 10 minutes worth of marching I could do on rainy days.

Oh gosh! It just hit me. A friend of mine called me last night and said, "hey, I got a bunch of pedomitors that I need to get rid of, you want one?" How spooky is this? She called last night, I said "sure" but never connecting it with today's post. WOW!

Thanks again, JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 12:38 AM

Read the book The Crazy Makers. You'll be sure to lose weight! It's about how the food industry is messing with our brains and hurting our children. The subtitle is something like that. But you will realize that so much of what we call food has no nutritional value. The book has nothing to do with diets, but it will make you lose weight!

I say small portions, 3 meals a day, nothing after dinner, watch the carbs, and exercise!

Another thing you can try is think about all your boomer sisters watching you put every morsel in your mouth. That's similar to how the BWS diet works!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 01:30 AM

JJ, You have my sympathy, dieting is no fun. That's why I don't diet. I eat what I want, I just have to ask myself, "do I really want that and all that it will mean on my body later?"

I lost 50 pounds without dieting. I just adjusted my lifestyle and added healthier eating habits. I have a salad for dinner one or two nights a week. I eat smaller portions and I don't consume as much sugar. Cutting out the sugar was hard. I was addicted. It takes some getting used to, but the cravings do go away.

Chick has it right. One of the things I did to change my lifestyle was walk. I take my dog for a walk every evening, just before dark. Can I forget? Are you kidding, he started looking forward to the walks and now tells me when it's time. I can't look at his happy little face and tell him no.

One of the other things I've done to change my lifestyle is write down everything I eat. Yep. Everything. That's what the BWS diet has done for me. It makes me more conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. I ask myself before I eat, do I want it? Then I have to write it down. In the BWS forum, everyone sees what I've eaten.

Women in the menapausal years have a more difficult time losing weight. I won't kid you there. I struggle with it every day. It takes longer and requires more effort, but you can lose weight. Remember, it didn't go on overnight, it won't come off overnight.

One of the things that has helped is having small min-goals of 5 pounds or 10 pounds. Once you make your goal, don't focus on losing the next 5 or 10, focus on keeping that 5 or 10 off. You have to learn how to maintain a weightloss, not just lose the weight. It really is a lifestyle change. Anybody can lose weight if they try hard enough and most diets have short-term success. However, keeping it off is another matter. It goes on real easy. Really easy. It's much harder to take off.

We're here to support you. You're going to have to figure out what works for you and adjust your lifestyle to accomodate it.

There's no secret formula. It's a matter of simple logic. What goes in has to go somewhere. You get to control what goes in.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 01:52 AM

"We're here to support you. You're going to have to figure out what works for you and adjust your lifestyle to accomodate it. "

So true, we are all so different that something that works for one will not work for the other. Just don't give up, just try something else if you aren't losing.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 09:25 AM

All the advice so far has been good. I'd like to add just a little.

First of all, the amount you're eating is "survival mode" -- frankly, so little that your metabolism has slowed down to deal with what your body has interpreted as semi-starvation. You're not getting enough nutrients for optimum health and function.

There are two ways of increasing your metabolic rate: exercise and eating more. Eating more, however, means healthy & low-cal. Keep large supplies of fresh fruit and cut-up veggies, and eat a small portion of fruit or veggies EVERY 2 HOURS. This is the optimum time frame. More than that, your body goes into starvation mode (even if you're not even remotely hungry) and your metabolism slows down. If you're travelling, buy bags of dried fruit with no added sugar or additives.

Bread for breakfast? Make sure it's whole grain. There are no-sugar all-fruit spreads if you want to break the monotony. For your salads, buy dressings that don't contain any sugar or gums. Or make your own, with extra-vigin olive oil, lemon juice or flavored vinegar, and spices.

Atkins/South beach -- aren't these the no-carb high protein programs? They sound like a heart attack waiting to happen.

As for exercise -- can you shake your booty to Elvis? Anything?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 06:05 PM

After extensive trial and error on my part and a hundred hours of reading and investigating I have learned that for those of us that are not good at measuring, abstinance or all the things that good dieters can do, we need one of the two top rated 'eating plans' there is. That would be Jenny Craig or Nutri System. Reason being the food is already prepared, tasty and satisfying. Everything is measured for you by nutritionists, calories, carbs (only good ones) seasonings etc. I went on Nitri System and dropped 53 pounds in 6 months. I was never hungry and felt fantastic even with barely any exercise. I ate 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. I got involved with someone and he wanted to eat out every other night and every morning and my diet went to hell in a handbag.... As of January 1, 2006 I will once again be on Nitri System. Went to a food tasting party a couple of months ago and the Nutri System food was as good as what I make myself and JJ no cooking necessary. It is all prepared to pop into the micro wave...They have made this so easy anyone can do it....Your food is delivered to your door monthly and you can choose the things you like the most, lots of variety.... [Big Grin]

[ December 15, 2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/15/05 06:26 PM

Good Lord I cannot believe how all of you have come to my rescue. I would be willing to bet a week's salary (if I had a job) that all of your advice is being read by other women in the same boat as me, and helping them too, so this is such a win/win situation and dare I say, a losing one as well? Get it? Lose? Pounds? ahem...

I taking ALL of the advice into account and seeing what I think will work for me. One of the things that I forgot about was increasing my metabolic rate. I also forgot how much I love carrots and celery and I use to keep them ready to go in the frig...well duh! That is such a simple thing to do and I had already forgotten it. Also, I use to put on Elvis and assorted other artists like Big Bad Vodoo Daddy, and clean house. I would be like bird poop... everywhere! I would be movin' and a shakin' and by the time I was finished, I can guarantee you I had a workout. Thanks Ms M...see why we call her "DIVINE?"

Chatty,
If I had the funds, I would do the Nutri System just to NOT have to buy groceries and have it made simple for me. But only on the condition that they not make me watch that stupid commerical anymore where she went from a size 10 to a size 4 in just two months. Zora, you're tall, beautiful, was engaged to the guy on the Bachleor show and worried about being a size 10? You've got issues. I'm just fluffy, but youuuuu've got issues.

Meredith, one of my sisters told me she was eating 6 meals a day and had already lost 10 lbs when she started doing this. Of course she is eating healthy.

I use to carry around with me a bag of snap beans and crunch down on those. I love um... I need to stock up on some snacking veggies.

Thanks women...you are the best!
Posted by: Marg1959

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 02:03 AM

JawJaw..first of all, thank God you are ok after your accident.

I lost 21 pounds last year and have managed to keep it off. I cut back on fat and sugar. I do not eat any processed food at all. I bring a snack bag to work which has fruit, plain almonds, some cottage cheese with a chopped up apple and other healthy things. I do not drink any soda, diet or otherwise and really only drink water throughout the day. Don't get me wrong, I do indulge in the occasional pizza, burger, glass of wine or martini, but it's a treat for me and not my normal way of eating. I went from a size 10 (almost a 12), to a 4 and have managed to stay a 4. I exercise in the morning before work (treadmill and light weights) and really, I am just very AWARE of what I eat! I'm not obsessed but if I ate pizza last night, I won't have a big lunch today. I truly believe in cutting back even when you don't think it makes much of a difference, it does.
GOOD LUCK!! I am soooo rooting for you!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 02:30 AM

Jawjaw -- just saw your comments about Zora...size 10 to a 4! Just so you know, I am not waif thin, but a size 10 almost a 12 was way too much weight for me at 5'3" tall. I'm not a stick figure like some of the celebs, I just look much healthier and better proportioned to my height. Didn't want you to think I had issues too!
Go girl! I know you can do it!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 05:05 PM

Marg...were we separated at birth? I'm 5'3" too! Thank you for your input. It's very valuable to me, especially right now because I decided to do just that... cut back, and eat only when hungry, no snacking, and eat sensibly. I've dropped the "diet drinks" although I do love them, and have decided to give myself one a week. For starters. I'm hoping that going without them will eventually lead me to not having one at all. Do you mind telling me what a typical day's menu is for you? You don't have to put it here, you can send me a private message if you want, or to my email...

I've also taken Meredith's advice and put Elvis on for cleaning the house (makes a BIG difference Ms M) and I found that when the cleaning was over, I still wanted to move so I just exercised a bit longer till my body said, "don't be cruel!" hahaha...

This is going to work... I just know it. I don't want to "yo-yo" anymore. I want permanent lifestyle change, exercise, a good nights sleep, and a million dollars. Okay, I through that last one in for fun...

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 09:30 PM

JawJaw, I think everyone has good ideas here too.

I think the hallmark of sucessful weight loss is in doing whatever works for you.

Take whatever you like from each person's advice and discard what you simply feel you cannot do.

My husband is not a vegetarian but by simply cutting back the portions he use to eat he lost 37 pounds. He does walk 2.2 miles each morning with me. He's really adamant about taking his daily walk now.

So, just do whatever works for you. If something seems too harsh you won't be able to stick to it and thusly won't lose the weight you wanted to.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 09:41 PM

Good for you, JJ. Yoyo'ing is very bad for the body. (It'a also hard to say!) And diet drinks are really bad. I think they can cause cravings. I bet as you cut back on them, you'll start to lose your taste for them.

How are you gonna live w/o the Oreos??? Just kidding. You can still eat them, just limit yourself to one or two. As Ladybug said, you can't be too drastic with food changes. When I do that, it just gets me frustrated and mad!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 09:56 PM

Bluebird, you are right about diet drinks causing cravings. Studies show that diet drinks increase your appetite and are very harmful to your bladder.

Check out the book entitled: Sweet Poison

Drink lots of water. It really is the best thing for your body.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 10:04 PM

Except for 1 or 1 1/2 cups of coffee in the a.m, water is really all I drink.

Except for the occassional Margarita..

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 10:14 PM

I still drink coffee but not in the amounts I use to. It was causing me to have lumpy, painful breasts. Within weeks of cutting back the lumps and pain went away and haven't returned.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 10:16 PM

Wow, I never heard that before. I don't drink much because it causes my heart to race and my hands to shake.
You sure the lumps weren't from the estrogen in the milk? I've heard of that happening.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/17/05 10:38 PM

I do not drink milk or consume any dairy products. In fact, I haven't in over ten years. When I occasionally eat icecream it gives me terrible cramps. For those in my family who use milk I buy only the organic, skim milk. It's worth the extra cost. I also noticed after giving up dairy products I no longer had any joint aches.

[ December 17, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 01:09 AM

The same happens to me when I eat dairy products. This is something that has developed with age. As a child I drank gallons of milk.

Also, caffeine is horrible for those with fibrous cystic disease. Vitamin E takes away the lumps!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 02:16 AM

I learned many, many years ago when I started to have breast pain, the doc asked me if I drank a loft of caffeine. I told him I only had one cup of tea in the morning, not thinking about all the soft drinks I drank during the day.
Caffeine causes breast pain!
I'll never forget a birthday cake that my co-workers had made up for me with two "boobies" on it with a big OUCH underneath them. I think my good buddies were tired of hearing me complain about my sore boobies!
Lynne

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 02:18 AM

Dotsie most human beings are lactose intolerant. Black people suffer from it the most. Healthy people in Africa never drink milk even as children and they have virtually no osteoporosis. In fact they don't consume any dairy food.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 03:04 AM

Yes, caffeine is a source of painful, fibrocystic breasts. I learned this not only from experience but from the books written by Dr. Susan love.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 03:23 AM

I can verify this too Ladybug, as I use to get the lumps as well as my doc said, "cut out the caffeine." I did NOT know that diet drinks can increase your appetite though and I am glad to hear it. Glad because this explains a lot of things to me! And...it strengthens my resolve to NOT drink them anymore, or to cut back to one or two a week. Maybe I will lose my taste for them LB...Let's hope so.

Vicki, I've gone back over the threads to see if I've missed any important tips that I could incorporate into this new lifestyle of mine and the "mini" goals you mentioned really appeals to me. I'm giving that a whirl.

I sincerely thank you all. And I've already had emails from people outside of this forum saying they too were going to try some of these tips so see? You're helping more than just me. You are simply the best!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 03:45 AM

BTW - something else that caffeine can aggravate is arthritis.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 04:05 AM

Until I do begin the Nutri System i found the neatest thing...At WalMart they sell a bag of fresh frozen individually wrapped Talipia fish filets. They are firm white fish. You take out whatever you want to eat and broil or bake them using any seasonings you want. They are so tasty, no fish smell because they are flash frozen fresh (dam thats a mouth full) I usually have a baked or micro waved sweet potato and some kind of green vegetable. No kidding I am losing a pound a day the days I eat the fish and you can have all four filets if you want to. Those days I have either oatmeal and a banana for breakfast or one egg on toast. I am a late riser so rarely eat lunch. Just a thought...I forgot to tell you about. Oh and for milk I have only had Soymilk for years now. I also only drink diet A&W root beer with no caffeine. I figure one cup of green/vanilla caramel tea is enough, maybe even too much. Right now I am investigating 'waters' which is good, which isn't and which is the best...yada, yada, yada!!

[ December 17, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 04:50 AM

Bluebird, arthritis, wow! I didn't know that either... and believe me, when I get up in the morning, it is with great difficulty. And it isn't the extra person I'm carrying around either, it's my bones and joints. Oy! I'm so glad to learn this.

Chatty, when you get the "waters" narrowed down with some good info, fill us in (no pun intended) okay?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 04:53 AM

Yes, JJ, and tea can actually be worse than coffee.

[ December 17, 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 05:18 AM

I'm not much of a tea drinker. Just coffee and diet drinks, and water. And vodka, gin, wine, beer..okay, okay...I was only joshn'....LOL!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 05:26 AM

You forgot rum, bourbon, tequila... [Razz]
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/18/05 07:59 AM

Do I hear alchohol?!!! [Smile]
I went from being able to snap back the next day from a night out...to 2 day hangovers....I think I'd be in the ICU for a month if I had anything more than afew sips now!!! [Embarrassed]
Maybe I should hide the cookies I just baked behind the pina colada mix!!! [Smile]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/19/05 01:19 PM

You guys are funny... Even the 'word' cookies makes me salivate.
JJ, how are you doing with the changes you have made so far?

chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/19/05 05:36 PM

I hear ya Chick... Let's see, report time, eh? Well, it's actually been easy and I think it's because of my "attitude" adjustment and the help of everyone on this board.

I had a couple of parties to attend this weekend and they were a breeze. Seems the hostess at each one was smart enough to include "heart-healthy" foods, so no problem there.

I've stocked up on some of my favorite recipes and pulled out the crockpot. I'm actually making things ahead of time to have on hand so there's no slipping back into bad habits of eating the wrong kinds of things, just because they are easy and effortless. Does that make sense? Things like potato chips and dip. I have celery, carrots, radishes, homemade soup, "Indian Stew" made with turkey instead of ground beef, and other veggies that I love. Here's the funny thing... since I became this super-determined person, I don't even snack around the clock like I was doing before. It's like I said, "no more ice cream and snacking for you kiddo." And that was that. Strange...

I don't know what makes one soooo determine on one try, and especially when one has tried so many other times and failed. Timing? Fed up with one's self? Pushed to the limits? I don't know. Anybody have thoughts on this?

I will say this... I don't think of it as a diet. I don't think in terms of dieting, at all. What I think about is WHAT I am about to put in my mouth. Like Vicki was saying. That seems to work for me. It's like what Ladybug or someone said, "pick what works for you." I did and it was a combination of things.

This week I start the exercising which will be walking. Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to it!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/19/05 06:07 PM

jawjaw, it's sounds like the same way you quit smoking. Didn't you go cold turkey?

What were the heart healthy recipes? I'm gearing up for a party and everything has cream cheese and/or sour cream! Well, not everything. The desserts only have butter and sugar. [Razz]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 08:13 AM

Yes I did Dots. Thanks to Daddy. He said, "when you are ready, you'll quit." He was right. Everything before that was rehearsal I suppose.

I don't know what the recipes were because they were catered, but I could possibly find out? Another suggestion would be to do a google on "heart healthy" and see what pops up. Don't forget grapes when you do your parties though. They are an easy finger food and yummy...especially the frozen ones! If you don't have that recipe, I could probably dig and find it.

One thing I did appreciate was that the caterer was thoughtful enough to have foods you could eat with your hands EASILY while trying to balance a very heavy crystal place and cup. One of the places had chips and dip. This would have been impossible to eat because the plate was soooo heavy you almost had to hold it with two hands.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 08:18 AM

p.s. I forgot to mention earlier that I'm drinking tons of water too. Which means, I don't get very far away from a bathroom. Frugal note: The DOLLAR STORE has a case of bottled water for 3 bucks.

JJ
Posted by: Di

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/19/05 10:37 PM

JJ.....

Many years ago, when I weighed a wopping 180, I read a book called "Staying Thin". This was in the early 80's ONE thing stuck from reading that book.(I cannot tell you anything else I read)

He said, "Just tell yourself that if you do not eat that (chocolate cake, candy,chips etc) you will not die! That was the KEY to my successfully losing 60 lbs. I changed my way of thinking.

Now, being 48, I am comfy at 140 lbs. Granted I gained some back, but I'm really feeling great. Also, after my hyst. nearly 12 years ago, my weight has been steady, give or take a lb.or two during holidays.

The nice thing about not eating "that thing" is that you can always have it later. They are NOT discontinuing chips,choclate cake. It'll taste better when you can afford to eat it!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/19/05 11:04 PM

This is all so true Di... I do give myself "talks" when I feel the urge to wander. Mostly I say, "hmm...why not have some dried fruit, or carrots,..etc." or whatever. It's working for me. And that's the key. FOR ME.

I'm always interested in hearing other things I can do though, like to reinforce my redesign.. like the book you've mentioned. I'm going to call the library and see if they have it. Thanks!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 12:04 AM

That is the key. what works for YOU. Nothing worked for me as a kid. My poor mother used to bribe me to lose weight. One year I was promised this beautiful leopard coat if I just lost 14 lbs. Never got the coat. I was a fat kid. She'd always say, "di, have some fruit instead (of that fudge pop, or something)". too bad she never saw me thin. (she died when I was 18)

I weighted myself daily; measured all parts of my body daily and had a chart. I HAD to see what I was doing was working or I'd stop. I know what they "say" about things, but it worked for me. I needed to SEE success.

Another thing I did was after the weight was off, I had all my size 17/18 clothes altered to size 10/12. Some people buy new clothes. Not me. I wanted to see my fat clothes skinny! It was so beautiful.

Here I am now...........I love they way I look and will never go back to fat again! Most embarrassing when your older sister would shop in the 5/6's and you are in the 17/18's. NOT fun!

-

That book was by Dr. Paul Linn or something like that. GREAT book I recall.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 12:11 AM

Di, good for you! You look great. How did you put a photo up here? I've been wanting to do that.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 12:15 AM

Thank you for your compliments!!

I use imageshack.us

Just locate your photo file, resize it to thumbnail and use the html code (without the spaces) Place your link that image shack gives you between the center close and open brackets...like this

[img ]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7813/dsc09847li.jpg[/img]

Of course with the extra space after the "g" you will not see the pic. Also, "quote" my thread with my pic and see how I did it!

[ December 19, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Di ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 02:01 AM

Di this is soooo cool! I love being able to see your skinny self, and of course, it just adds fuel to the fire for me. You go girl, I mean it!

I like the idea that you were smart enough to have the clothes altered. What a good feeling that must be. I have so many clothes that I am unable to wear that when I get to "my size" again, it will BE like a new wardrobe. I'm so looking forward to that. Thanks again. You are just darling! As my brother-in-law use to say to me, "you a fox kiddo!"

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 03:04 AM

Hi JawJaw, it's been a busy day getting ready for company this evening but had to stop in to say hi!

You know why it's working for you? You were just plain old ready. You'd had it and everyone here helped you get psyched up for it. You're the only one who can make it happen for you but I've got a feeling that hearing everyone cheer you on is a boost too. You're really a beautiful lady.

Look out cause JawJaw is going to knock your socks off!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 03:15 AM

I think when we have our first boomer meeting, we should do a Boomer Hot Mama Calender, with JawJaw the feature Hottie. I'll be the photographer, since I do not feel like a hot mama yet.

Way to go JJ, I'm trying to get myself into the right frame of mind to eat right also.

Daisygirl

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 03:27 AM

Exactly.........being READY is the key as well.
I was about 25 or so when I was. Sick and tired of being LARGE.

I'll need to find an old pic of me when I was fat........

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/20/05 09:10 AM

Once again you ladies come forth with words of encouragement and support. I love standing back and being WOWed by it all.

You are all correct in saying I was ready. This is so true. And you are correct again in saying that the encouragement I've received here is getting a big bonus...it will make my journey be more successful. I'm sure of it. NEVER ... EVER underestimate your support and the impact it has on our boomer lives.

I'm feeling a group hug coming on...

{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh and great idea with the pic's! I have a picture of me recently from Thanksgiving, and so I'll use that for the BEFORE. I'm going to take progressive ones all along the way. What a great idea, thanks! I would share them with you all, but then I'd have to shred your tongues...or kill you.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/21/05 04:21 AM

You go beautiful lady!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/24/05 06:02 AM

The next couple of days will be the hardest in trying to not over-indulge in all the goodies present on every holiday table.

May you find the strength to resist or at least take smaller portions. [Razz] [Wink] [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/24/05 06:05 PM

Speaking of pictures...I have a friend who put her fat picture on the inside of the junk food cabinet she had for her kids. It discouraged her from indulging. Maybe we should try using a picture of us in our bathing suits...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/25/05 01:46 AM

Nope, can't do that...no one would ever open that door again.

Then again maybe your right.....

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/25/05 05:19 AM

Oh boy me in a bathing suit, thats enough to get everyone who see's it to swear of food, maybe forever, LOL [Big Grin] [Wink]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/25/05 05:23 AM

I just had about ten butter cookies of varying, fattening degrees!

I am so ashamed!

Merry Christmas ladies!
Posted by: Pattyann

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/26/05 04:59 PM

Well- I just returned from my mother's where if you don't have something in your mouth she is either insulted you hate her food or thinks you are sick- I am sick!!Bloated, stuffed- roll me onto the treadmill-pleezeeeeeeee

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/26/05 07:35 PM

Pattyann, there, I just rolled you on the treadmill. Now will you toss me on the cross trainer at the Y? My husband is already there, and here I sit! Now get walking...
Posted by: Pattyann

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/26/05 11:32 PM

Dotsie- I think I rolled off the other side- couldn't get going- so don't count on me to do any tossing- maybe tossing some cookies but that's it [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/27/05 06:28 PM

Well ladies, Here is my belief for 2006...

This is the year that I stop being a victim of my weightn and past eating disorders. This is the year that I take charge of what I put in my mouth (LOL) and get my body moving.

Have ya'll heard the saying, "if you think you can or you think you can't, you are right!"

I have thought for years that I can't lose and keep off weight - so I haven't. I've thought for years that I love and crave things that aren't good for me - so I have!

I am done with that. It is time for victory in this area of my life.

I look in the mirror - and honestly, the outside does NOT match what I feel like on the inside. There is a skinny, sexy, wild woman on the inside, dieing to get OUT!

My goal is to sweat in 2006! once a day for five days in a row!

Has anyone seen the rebounders they are selling on the infomercials? They look like fun. I have been thinking about finding one, becuz I read that rebounding is excellent for all of ones' organs, and the WHOLE body benefits from it.

Any input out there?

hugs to the fluffy sisters, who are REALLY svelt women in disguise!

Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 08:59 AM

Danita, I am motivated too. Took a three mile walk this morning but I need to do more than that.

I haven't seen the rebounders. I'll have to look for them. Wait, I can probably find them online...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/27/05 09:54 PM

Dots,

Do you listen to music as you walk?

Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 04:06 AM

I hate to be a bad news deliverer but my friend Kay that died a year after by-pass surgery. She was only 56 and she literally killed herself with food. How? Well, she use to be a very thin lady and just began eating and then developed diabetes and still ate and had a stroke and couldn't do anything, so she continued eating and got to be 300 pounds, she was 5ft.2. She felt she had NO willpower so had a by-pass which apparently went bad. She did lmanage to lose 100 pounds but was never right after the surgery and suffered terribly unable to keep any food down. She suffered a septic, painful death. Her husband said she went from 5mg. of some strong pain killer to 80mg. No one could help her and she literally begged to die at the end....So you can see what I meant above. I too need to lose alot of weight and if God gives me the time I need, I will. I lost 5 pounds this last week even with Christmas. I looked at the goodies and said "nope would rather be alive a long time and healthy." Learned a hard lesson losing a friend and also that we don't always have tomorrow if we are careless today...

[ December 27, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 07:29 AM

Danita...Go for it girl...you sound as if you really have your head on straight regarding your New Year's resolution to get active...You are a beautiful person (thanks so much for organizing the Christmas card and gift exchange)..I can feel it in my bones that this is the year where you are going to make all of your personal dreams come true...I'm pulling for you girlfriend!!
My friend Kathy got a Rebounder last month...I'll be seeing her New Year's eve and I'll report back to you her impressions of it after that.... [Smile]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 02:55 PM

Chatty - so sad about your friend. It is amazing that something so "harmless" as food can be so deadly. What a lesson. And good for you losing weight over the holidays! THAT is an accomplishment.

Thanks so much Avalon - it was my pleasure. And thanks for those affirmations - I'm believing it too.

So often in life we get what we focus on - and I'm focusing on success in several areas! Woooo hoooo.

Please do let me know about the rebounder - I'm hesitant to put another "laundry drying maching" in my house (hangs clothes on unused exercies equipment)...but no, actually, becuz I have read about the benefits of rebounding for the entire body, I am interested.

YOU Avalon, have been a blessing to ME, and to many others. Thanks for sharing yourself with us this year!

hugs,
danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 05:05 PM

I recommend doing a Google for Rebounder Exercise Equipment. There seem to be several models with differing prices. I intended to place a link here but there are too many.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/28/05 09:10 PM

It often takes a tragedy for folks to realize food can be a killer.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

The simplest way to better health is to lose weight. Check the charts to see what your weight should be for your height and try to aim for that number. Daily walks are good and important as part of a healthy weight loss plan.

Just knowing you need to lose weight is a step in the right direction.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/29/05 01:38 AM

JawJaw, I like "ladybug's" advice. Do what works for you. Too many times I think we get caught up in "well, it worked for her, why isn't it working for me?" Our bodies are all different.

A typical day's meal for me is this. For breakfast, I have oatmeal with non-fat milk, a sprinkle of cinnamon and no sugar. I buy the instant ones (for work) BUT only the "plain" ones. No flavorings or added sugars. Around 10:30, I have a mid-morning snack of non-fat "Yoplait" yogurt and a banana (this is everyday). For lunch, I make a veggie sandwich which consists of a small amount of avocado smashed up on one side, with pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, sometimes a slice of yellow bell pepper, on toasted bread. Sometimes I'll put non-fat cream cheese instead of the avocado. I eat that with a cup of hot water and lemon. At 2:30, I'm starting to get the munchies so I'll have a chopped up apple in cottage cheese, or a pear, or whatever fruit is in season. Sometimes I'll bring a handful of "plain" almonds. That seems to hold me over. Dinner is usually whatever I want, BUT it isn't pizza and burgers or large amounts of pasta. It's maybe chicken, some rice, salad, or whatever my wonderful boyfriend has cooked up. Again, I have that with hot water and lemon. I only drink water. No sodas or juices. I do have the occasional glass of wine or gin martini (can't give up on enjoying the good things in life!) but that is not every night. My "menu" changes on the weekends, but I still try and watch it and cut back where I can.

There are some awesome pieces of advice here from everyone and we are all behind you. It definitely is a lifestyle change and not a diet and you just become "aware" of what you're putting in your mouth. Again, good luck, I know you can do it.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/29/05 02:24 AM

Marg1959 welcome!!!!!!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/29/05 07:39 AM

Geez Danita...you have me all teary eyed sitting here...thanks for the exceptionally kind words...((((hug)))

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/30/05 08:37 AM

Marg1959,
Your words are fuel for the soul. I so appreciate you taking the time to give the info you did. As I started my new lifestyle (notice I didn't say diet) I began reading more books on health...yada..yada. And an interesting website someone pointed out to me is http://www.7naturallaws.com/index.asp Now there is a lot of "common sense" things on this site, but I like structure and I also know lots of people who are following his plan, so I have people with whom I can confer.

The changes I'm making have started with my mindset. I realize that food was a substitution, and that I used it when I became bored. Solution? Fill in the boredom moments with a healthy something or other.

I'm also walking, checking out Yoga, and have nothing but "healthy" foods available here at the house. I am not buying the shakes on his website, but I did request the free ones they offer. I'm going to try them, and keep an open mind about them.

But basically, I am doing what YOU are doing, almost verbatim, with the exception of the avocados. I am also keeping myself to 2 cups of coffee a day, instead of ALL DAY LONG.

Joe Dillon, the owner of the site, says to take your weight, divide it by 2, and that is the number of ounces of water you need to be drinking everyday. There is a city water tank a couple of houses over from me and I'm thinking about hooking my mouth up to it. Good grief... I'm drinking like a bazillon bottles a day. Come on girls, did you REALLY think I was going to tell you how man ounces I drink? Fat chance (no pun intended)

This has been an easy lifestyle change so far, and the only complaint I have is that I cannot get too far away from a bathroom! Holy Moly... I think I got up five times during the night last night.

Just FYI: Things on my menu include chicken, Talipia, Orange Ruffy, and other fish (always broil or baked), turkey occasionally, nuts (raw), plain non-fat yogurt (I love this stuff), berries of all kinds, fruit of all kinds (but always fresh or frozen, NOTHING out of a can), veggies (same, fresh or frozen), non-fat or low fat cheeses, and if I DO use bread at all, it is pita (whole wheat), or whole wheat sliced. I'm going to limit myself to twice a week with the bread for now...maybe even less. No sugars ... and I always eat my protein first.

I've rewarded myself for taking this long BUT WINNING journey by buying myself a new stove. I know...I know...you all can't believe it, but I did. And yes, da Queen does cook sometimes (although I STILL don't like to). But now I have NO excuse!

Thanks for your inputs and to everyone else who is taking this journey, I'm with Marg, YOU CAN DO IT! Boomer babes are just the best!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/30/05 08:59 AM

JJ...you are off to such an incredible start...your mindset is right where it needs to be so success is sure to follow...once I made the decision to eliminate "junk" from my diet and eat for my health instead of my pleasure my life changed for the good in so many ways...(of course all bets are off over the Holidays)..I have been eating cakes and pies and cookies since Christmas Eve like it's my job...but you know what? I feel really lousy today...sluggish and bloated and miserable...and it has to be the food...so maybe I'll have learned my lesson and next Christmas won't feel the need to indulge...remind me next year if I forget ok?..Really though JJ...your healthy lifestyle is going to make you feel so great and the nicest part about your kind of menu is that the first place you lose the LBS noticeably is in your midsection...I had forgotten there for awhile what it felt like to tie my sneakers without huffing and puffing like an old cow before I lost my weight...I'm pulling for you Friend...and so happy to hear about your shiny new stove!!!Keep up the great work and the enthusiasm!!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/29/05 10:26 PM

Thank you Nancy, it always helps to have cheerleaders in your court helping to keep you up. And boomers are the best there is at this, yes?

I'm excited about all of this and I'm even looking at turning the experience into articles. Wuhooo...Win/Win...

Thanks again! JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/30/05 02:58 AM

I'm cheering too. Can you see my pom poms?

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/30/05 04:13 AM

And lovely pom poms they are too, LOL, sorry couldn't resist.... [Big Grin]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 08:00 AM

Down three pounds as of today, ladies. I'm excited! My new motto is "Steady as she goes." I want this to be realistic and like one of those fads. A lifestyle...So onward!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 08:08 AM

Bravo, JJ!! Good motto, too. I had a similar one years ago, when I was trying to tackle some big projects (I'm not saying you are a big project, LOL!!)It was "chip away at it". Like a sculptor, they chip away small pieces at a time and eventually - it looks like the vision in their mind.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 08:10 AM

In case anyone is interested - here is the Bluebird method of losing weight around the holidays, instead of gaining. Have many children and then expose them to a nasty stomach/intestinal virus. Works wonders to kill the appetite...
[Frown]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 08:31 AM

That's great... one day at a time.
It really is a lifestyle change...I've really slipped over the holidays. But, ...I'll get back on track.

It's great when you see it start to work... happy for you!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 08:59 AM

Bravo JJ....3 lbs and counting...congratulations!!! By the way...don't be surprised when you feel a little headachy and cranky...that is just the sugar withdrawal...it will soon depart and then you will begin to feel energized ...keep up the great job!!!!

Bluebird...lousy way for you to stay thin...i hope all of your kiddies are feeling better today!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 12/31/05 02:42 AM

JawJaw your weight loss is excellent! I know how good it must make you feel to know that you can do it!

Awwww Bluebird are you saying you are sick? Two years ago I had that on Christmas day of all days! I was so sick my family had to eat Christmas Eve's leftovers instead of the wonderful dinner I had planned for them. That was a bummer! Hope everyone in your family is feeling better for the new year!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 08:00 AM

Thank you LB, and I brought this post back up to not only toot the old horn, but to hopefully give encouragement to anyone who needs it. DRUM ROLL PLEASE .................

As of today (one week), I am down 8 pounds. People...I am eating six times a day and it's all heatlhy food. I have never been so full, all day, I don't get sleepy after a meal or in the afternoons, and I have energy. TONS of energy. I am amazed and dazed... And......lighter!

Someone said, "yeah, but it's water retention weight," I said, "so what? Weight is weight. Walk around with a 10 lb bag of potatoes and then set them down and walk around." Makes a lot of difference, let me tell ya!

Hugs, and onward!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 08:05 AM

JawJaw, you are right weight is weight though I disagree that it's only water retention.

Wow eight pounds that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason people feel so tired after a high fat meal is because fat in the food causes the blood to "sludge" within a few hours. Oxygen isn't circulating as well and thusly you feel tired. Is'nt it great not to feel that way anymore?

Wow, just great JJ, keep going girl!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 08:09 AM

Jawjaw, congrats. I know this is bringing you great pleasure. When we feel better about our physical selves, we simply feel better all around!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/02/06 11:17 PM

Way to go JawJaw...your doing great!!!

So.... did you get that stove or what???
Your newsletter gave me the impression....not.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/02/06 11:20 PM

I'm so proud of the Queen!
Congratulations on a huge success!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 02:44 AM

Thanks ladies...and Brenda, that a negative on the stove. I decided to wait until my brother-in-law comes up here and he can help me buy it, install it, and he'll haul the old one off...all at no charge. All I have to do is buy it. Wuhooo!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 07:06 AM

When I bought my referigerator, I went to Lowe's...at the time they had free delivery and old appliance removal.

Think they run that special from time to time.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 09:15 AM

JJ already has my advice on the stove.

I have a working stove. It's in my kitchen which is a combination mausaleum, monument, and museum. The mausaleum part has a a lot of dead stuff in jars and the museum exibits various out dated cooking devices from the days when I actually cooked. Then there are monuments to folks like Sara Lee, Mr. McDonald, and Betty Crocker, all of whom influence my present cuiinary preferences.

My overall cooking philosophy is, if you can't buy it while driving through, or microwave it, don't eat it.

I say forget the stove. Buy something useful like new shoes.

smile

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/03/06 02:41 PM

Well JJ, I am impressed! You go lady. Now tell me are you clothes shopping these days?
Smile, you can never have enough shoes can you?
I've been flying solo for a few days. One pot gal here.
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/04/06 01:16 PM

Jawjaw, that's awesome. Keep it up gal! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Smilinize, you're too funny [Wink]

[ January 04, 2006, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 01:09 AM

JawJaw
I am so happy for you! Doesn't it feel great to see some results? That is what kept me going! Also, thanks for the website (www.7naturallaws.com). I read EVERYTHING I can on health and nutrition so I will definitely take a look at this site. I think what I learn most from reading so much about this stuff are things I don't know about food. For years I thought food was just something you put in your mouth and digested (guuulp), but it's so much more than that. And there are so many small things you can do to cut back that give you results.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you. Keep up the GREAT work. You're on your way, girl! And to everyone else out there on that "lifestyle" change, DON'T GIVE UP!
Marg

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 04:22 AM

Marg, Smiles (you crazy woman)Ladybug, Dotsie, The Divine Ms M (Meredith), Brenda, Nancy, Chick (you skinny minnie) and my bud Robin ... whew!

You all have made my week! No joke. I feel like I have my very own cheerleading squad. Should I be sending you all matching outfits? hahahah... Wait! That would be sooo cool! Have you seen the broads who have the new show that are boomers and they went back to college? They have a cheer they do in a commerical that is hysterical!

AnyWAY...I just got back from my walk (@ 30 min) with Trixie and boy was it invigorating! I cannot believe how just changing a few things can change so MANY other things. It's like a domino effect.

Anyway, haven't lost any more weight, but steady as she goes!

Hugs, and here's your cheer for the day!

rah rah ree,
kick um in the knee,
rah rah rass,
kick um in ....
the other knee!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 04:29 AM

Go Jawjaw, Go Jawjaw,
Go Jawjaw,
Go!
There's your cheer for next week!
Keep up the great work!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 04:51 AM

Hey, wait just a darned minute. We're moving into this cheering too fast.

I heard jj mention somrthing about uniforms. We could get new outfits out of this deal girls. I say we check out jj's offer of new designer duds before we jump into any cheering deals.

JJ, where's those outfits? Do we get shoes too? How about jewelry? I mean if we're cheering the queen we'll need whole new outfits.

Bring it on. I need some new stuff!

smile

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 04:53 AM

And a car for parades.

Oh boy I'm getting into this now!!

Whoooeeee.

smile

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 05:27 AM

I need a manicure and surely a pedicure for my new shoes.
How about the pom pom's???
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 05:32 AM

Oh, Yepthatsme,
I love getting a pedicure and love a manicure and do one soon. So , I will get my Pom Poms out also. I have a gift certicate for a pedicure what a way to start the new year out . Good one thanks girls .

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 05:37 AM

Oh yeah. Of course some of us have some really big pom pom's already. But if jj's supplying them as a part of the cheerleading outfit, I'm all for it.

I think we can do a pyramid. What do you think girls?

smile

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 06:32 AM

I'm not standing on the bottom this time.
I want to do the back flip off the top.
No wobbling either...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 06:48 AM

Thats two knees unless you count the weenies???? LOL, oh be still my nasty mouth but I know you're laughing JJ. Whatever you do do not give up or stop once you hit a plateau, it will happen and BAM all of a sudden 3 pounds fall off. Thats what I did when I lost that 53 pounds. I am very happy for you and am coming down there to see you do the happy dance this spring....My goodness I posdted this under JJ's poem on page 7 and it turns up here and makes no sense what-so-ever...Yuk!

[ January 04, 2006, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 07:05 AM

JJ, have you ever considered writing cheers professionally? I would have loved to hear that one at a high school football game!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 08:00 AM

I'm thinking this pyramid scheme is a little weighty if you know what I mean. I'm getting dibs on being on top with Brenda. We can do a couple of summersaults in the air then do the back flip ito the arms of a handsome football player.

Yessirree. I'm IN!!

Now where's our new duds?

smile

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 06:33 PM

ohhhhhhhhhh geeeeeeeessssssssssss.....

I've created some monsters....

Two bits, four bits,
Six bits a Hollar
All for New Outfits, Pom Pom's, Shoes, Pedicures, and Manicures,
Send me some Dollars.....

WHAT?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 07:20 PM

Here's the quote from the queen's lips, "Should I be sending you all matching outfits? hahahah... Wait! That would be sooo cool"!

I'm more than sure it wasn't the manicure or the pedicure...not even the shoes or the pom pom's.

Smile...I think it was you asking for the handsome football player.
Told you...he would ask for tooooo much!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/05/06 07:48 PM

Oh....my, do you think the queen decided to keep him...and forego our outfits????

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 08:03 AM

Hip, hip, hooray
Hip, hip, hooray
Send money to JJ?
No way, Jose!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 01:11 PM

Send the money straight to me
And I'll design the jewelry! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

And I'll laugh at...I mean supervise...I mean choreograph the pyramid thingy. I ain't stupid enough to get on the top or the bottom of that! [Eek!]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 05:39 PM

Helloooo? Diet forum??? You women are amazing...you can go from counting calories to pom pom's and football players.

The talent (ahem) in this room is simply spellbounding...maybe we should all write a book together, eh? We could call it "When your Pom Pom's Go South" hahaha....ahem...ahem.

Still holding at 8 pounds. Chatty, I think I've hit that plateau... or maybe it is the fact that I'm walking and gaining muscle as Ms M said?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 07:09 PM

JJ...the muscle part is no lie...muscle does weigh more than fat and is so much prettier!!!
just keep on keepin on and don't forget to drink your water!!! You're doing great!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 09:04 PM

JJ, two pounds a week is a healthy loss. In the first few weeks it is normal to lose more but it is not going to happen every week. Remember that losing inches/gaining muscle etc. counts too. What you are wanting is to lose what you need to over a period of time and continue to maintain a healthy weight for your body frame for the long term. Proud of you here.
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/06/06 10:33 PM

Uh-oh, we may no longer have a fluffy queen in the forums. Sounds like she's turning svelte to me.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/09/06 05:17 AM

We once had a Queen all too fluffy,
who's attitude was anything but stuffy.

But soon she'll be svelte,
Off her frame pounds do melt,

No weight info given or less fluffy
becomes a real gruffy tuffy...

he, he!)

[ January 08, 2006, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/09/06 05:33 AM

OUT LOUD!
Thank you, Ms Chatty Hemingway!

Ü¿Ü (What do you mean I should try decaf?)

- JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/11/06 06:16 PM

Update! Update!
How's it going JJ?
chick
Posted by: NewLeaf

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/11/06 11:13 PM

I went from 173 to 133 by following the South Beach diet or way of living. I also lowered my colesterol and raised my good colesterol.
I didn't follow it to the T but just ate a lot of cheese and protein and vegetables. No bread or white stuff like sugar and baked goods.
I love peanut butter, so I had celery stalks with peanut butter or laughing cow cheese for snacks, had a big juicy steak and asparagus or a cobb salad or a buffalo chicken salad with bleu cheese dressing. I always use olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a lot of garlic.
If you drink, Vodka has no carbs. Red wine is also good for you.
It is an easy way to eat and fills you up. It tastes good and if you like eggs, make them deviled eggs with real mayonnaise.
Make a large bowl of anti pasta and snack on that: Cut up in squares, mozzarella cheese, colby or cheddar cheese, summer sausage, black olives, green olives and olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning. The longer it sits the better it tastes.
I walked every day as if a bear was behind me nipping at my heels and worked my arms while walking.
Being in love helps and eating dark chocolate helps also.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/12/06 02:11 AM

Yuhooooo...time for an update, eh? #5, that is fantastic! Wow, you really dropped, didn't you? I know lots of people who tried the SBD with great success, just like you. I tried it and also the Atkins, but my liver count shot straight up and my doc said NO! So...I'm doing the Joe Dillon lifestyle change.

As of today....(drum roll please).....

I've lost 11 pounds. WUHOOOO...(Queen attempting backflip and hurts herself...and the chair, and her dog, and....)

How bout that? I love the way #5 described her walking routine. I need to remember that. I am walking too, and if raining, I have one of those machines I use to hang clothes on that I use now.

JJ
Posted by: diamond50

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 10:55 AM

Good job, ladies!

I'm beginning to work off the 10 lbs I gained over the holidays. Going to Curves helps me : )

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 02:51 PM

NO WAY!...11 POUNDS?
WOW! Congrats Queenie...you da Gal!
Diampnd, I did curves and need to start again.
Who's Joe Dillon?
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 06:50 PM

I think I've taken on about 5 of those pounds that you dropped, JJ...cut it out....

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 06:54 PM

I just might go back to Curves if it was in Honolulu.

Congrats jawjaw. You must feel like you are on Cloud Nine...make that Cloud Eleven...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 07:00 PM

The Cloud I want to be on is Cloud 50...This means 39 more clouds to go....

Joe Dillon is a man who came to speak to a dental association where my sister works. He told them about a new way to live your "eating" life, and the ins and outs of metabolisms, body fat, etc...

While some of the things he said were not new, they were put forth in a manner that got my attention (she related it all to me) and so I visited his web site at http://www.7naturallaws.com/index.asp where he gives a wealth of info on the 7 Natural Laws.

I liked what I read, and so I've been practicing what he preaches and following his lead. It works for me, and I feel better, have more energy, and I'm cuter. Okay, I made that last one up, but it could happen...right?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/14/06 08:37 AM

Wow, JawJaw, glad to see you have stuck with your plan and doing so well! Keep on going!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 09:25 PM

That's great....will be checking the natural law website.
Fantastic...11 pounds in such a short time. [Smile]
Quite the accomplishment.

What sets Curves apart? They just put one in the new shopping center, at the top of the road.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 10:39 PM

I just wanted to drop in and tell you that when I move, I'm putting my scale in storage! Don't need it. My clothes tell me if I'm gaining or losing.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 10:42 PM

P.S. JJ, 39 more pounds? We may not be able to find you!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/13/06 10:44 PM

Trust me honey, there's enough here to make two women. Notice I didn't say two GOOD women...just women. BUT NOT FOR LONG!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/18/06 01:05 AM

JAWJAW!! Girl, I haven't peeked into the site for a few days but here I am and I can't tell you how HAPPY I am for you!! You ARE the Queen!

I'm sitting here at work eating my veggie sanGwich (wishing it was a cheeseburger with NO fat and NO calories) and thought I'd check up on my buddies.

With a string of gorgeous supporters like us, you can't lose (well, we do want you to "lose"...you know what I mean..!)

I'm looking forward to lent when I begin my annual "I am not eating sweets so don't offer me cake" campaign. It's a tough job and I am religious (no pun intended) about it and am happy to say, don't give into my temptations even though my birthday every year falls AFTER lent begins so no cake for me. But I guess that's why they call it a sacrafice, huh?

JawJaw, you rule! Keep going!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/18/06 04:05 AM

Congrat's JJ...I just adore reading good news....you are really on a roll now...keep up the great work!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/18/06 04:13 AM

Yuhoooooo....just dropping by tonight to say my lbs have not changed since last week, however, I have lost 7 1/2 inches! Wuhoooo!

Thank you girls for checking in on me... I'm going to Mom's later this week and she said, "I'll cook you something." Oy! I said "NO! NO! I'm bringing my food Mom, but thanks!" ha! They always want to feed us....Bless her heart....

Marg, when is Lent?

Nancy, thank you girlfriend! I've got to where I live for Tuesdays. That's weighing and measuring day.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/18/06 07:30 PM

Marg, I admire people who can stick to their guns during Lent. I dont'think I ever have. [Frown]

Goergia, you go girl. Seven inches is awesome. Keep up the good work.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/18/06 07:34 PM

Dotsie, I must confess, I don't give up anything for lent because in the past I was never able to stick to it either.

JJ, seven inches?...........great!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/19/06 12:12 AM

For some reason Lent seems to be the only time I can resist and give up certain things. Its like I keep thinking, God is gonna get you for that, if I mess up during Lent.....Say does anyone know where the name Lent came from or what it means?

[ January 18, 2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/19/06 12:56 AM

Lent is of Germanic origin and means "season of spring." It refers to the lengthening of days as reflected in the Anglo Saxon word for March. That word is lenctenmonat.
Posted by: katebcca

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/19/06 12:06 PM

I have been going to the gym since September 6th and have dropped three dress sizes. I have a few tips. No diet has ever worked for me long term so I don't diet now. I always thought you just had to exercise and diet, lose the weight and then go back to the old lifestyle NOT!!!
I now have a new attitude. How do I manage to keep going to the gym? because I do it for me. I want to be healthy and live a long life. I don't want to have a walker or be in a wheel chair in my 60's. When I first started working out I could not do my shoes up without putting my foot up on a chair and then I was out of breath. It's all about baby steps. I go on the treadmill for approx. 30 minutes a day. When I first started I could hardly do 3 minutes.
Now I run for 10 or 15 and walk fast for the rest. I also lift weights and go on the stairmaster. I tell myself that it is only an hour of my time to feel great. Anyone can find an hour. The trick is the gym is close to my house. I bring my cd player and listen to fast 80's music that really gets me going and the time flys. It also lifts my spirits. I drink protien shakes for breakfast which fill me up. I also keep protien bars on hand in case I get really hungry (usually in the afternoon) and want something bad. I also don't eat white anything, sugar, rice, bread, pasta etc.
All these things work for me. Also reading fitness magazines, looking at fitness websites, just getting as many tips as possible. If I do screw up, which I do now and then I don't beat myself up. I just start over the next day. I also take vitamins, supplements and eat flax seeds.
Katebc

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/19/06 04:35 PM

katebcca,
I like your attitude. And I also agree with it. Anybody can find one hour to stay healthy. I only use 30 minutes of my day and look what its done for me! I also agree with what you say about slipping up. In the past I've thought, "oh gosh, I've failed, might as well give it up." That was the past. I haven't slipped up yet, but if I do, so be it. I will just start back the next meal, or next day, right where I left off.

This is something I am doing for ME. And that makes all the difference in the world.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/20/06 01:40 AM

GIRLS!!
I have marvelous news...for the first time in years, lent begins on March 1st AFTER my birthday! This means I can actually have a piece of my birthday cake. It's a time for serious discipline and self-examination and really, I don't cheat and I tend to tick-off those who are trying to shove cookies and cake in my face. "Oh, just one won't hurt." Like heck. One means I'll want another one and besides, after what the good Lord did for us, I think I can give up a few crumbs of chocolate cake. BUT it "ain't" easy! You always want what you can't have.

And JJ, I know what you mean about moms. Bless their hearts is right. My mom is a GREAT cook and when I eat at her house, the words "portion control" come to mind...over and over again!

Anyway, hope all is well with all of you. It's a beautiful day in Northern California and I'm going to out and enjoy the sunshine for a few minutes.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/20/06 07:29 PM

JJ amd Kate...I couldn't agree with you more...the key to successful weightloss is coming to the realization that that we are doing it for ourselves...I was a yo-yo dieter for 20 years ...gaining and then losing the same blasted 30 lbs..but always for a particular reason...a wedding..a vacation...a reunion...I'd diet my head off and once the event had passed and the incentive no longer was dangling in front of me I'd fall back into my old bad eating habits...weekly stops at Cinnabon, Dairy Queen, and other "emotional eaters" hangouts...my epiphany happened while moving Daddy to his new apartment after Mommy died..after only 2 trips up the steps carrying boxes my heart was thumping in my chest and I could barely breathe...it scared the stuffins out of me...after seeing a cardiologist who put me on the South Beach Diet I lost 35 pounds and began to feel energized and healthier than I had in years...i like feeling that way and I never want to feel the other way again...so now when I pass by Cinnabon or Dairy Queen I don't even feel the urge to stop...because my emotional fix comes from my ability to jog around the park easily with nary a huff or a puff...the added bonus to feeling healthy is a thinner body and being able to zip up my jeans easily...a few short years ago I had to lay flat on the bed and suck in my belly before I could coax that zipper up the track..so...the point of this long winded tale is...weight loss is a personal choice for ourselves..to make us FEEL better...and if the end result makes us look better then that is simply the icing on the cake (lowfat angel food cake of course!) [Smile]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/20/06 11:29 PM

Blondi, great post. I'm with you. FEELING GOOD makes all the difference in the world. I also believe the ability to do certain physical activities makes us feel better about ourselves. I have a friend I walk with and occasionally we do the 4.4 mile route. Just knowing I have that in me makes me want to do it more.

Here's to healthy boomer women!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/21/06 10:14 AM

4.4 mile route Dotsie? That's pretty darn impressive!!..having a friend along is a great way to keep yourself going too...sometimes when i am tempted to skip my walk in the park ..just knowing I'll let my buddy down spurs me on to keep on walking...I'm only doing 3 miles though...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 01:36 AM

Well, I'm back from Mom's and did so well. I'm patting myself on the back. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's on FRIDAY and I had grilled chicken and steamed broccoli, water to drink. It was deelish! Then grapefruit and Kashi cereal for breakfast, Mom and I walked 30 minutes today WITH arm weights of 1 lb, then a protein shake on the way home for my snack, then lunch at home with my stir fry veggies and tuna salad and water. Wuhooooo...haven't missed a beat.

Life is good.

Nancy, Dotsie...very sound advice indeed!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 01:37 AM

p.s. The trick for me is being prepared. Period.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 03:38 AM

I'd like to give you a pat on the back too...it's not easy and your doing a terrific job.
Congratulations!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 04:06 AM

BRAVO JJ, you are our hero. Such a turn around in such a short time is astounding to say the least....

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 06:29 AM

When I get where I'm going, I've decided to post the before and after picture. THEN...then you will have a clear definition of fluffy. I got to tell you though, I feel like a train that running down the track, right on schedule. And for once, this is a feeling that feels GOOD!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 08:31 AM

JJ...I can "hear" your excitement each time you post...you have exactly the right attitude to reach your goal ...I can't wait to see your before and after pics!! I couldn't be happier for you!!! Way to go!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 11:27 AM

I'm so proud of all of you : )

As for myself, I've been cutting back on portions
and feeling pretty good about it; continued on
with Curves and the scale and the way my clothes
fit shows it!

Keep on keeping on, girls : )

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 07:12 PM

I hope we all learn to eat healthy, lighter and exercise regularly. It can be a challenge at times.
JJ, I was wondering how da trixter was taking to your lifestyle changes and wrote this little poem while thinking about you both this morning. Just so proud of your accomplishments...

Name it what you want...

I was sick of being fluffy and decided to make a change
Fast food joints and restaurants, myself...I did estrange
I walked my dog, I even cooked, Now that's a switch for me
I'm eating greens and lima beans
And drinking ugh! green tea

I go to see my family, with dog and food in tow
I'm steaming this and grilling that, and eating it reeaaalll slow
I hope I don't get waterlogged from drinking all this stuff
Lifes a beach, but time will tell
We'll all know soon enough

Trixie thinks it's just a faze, and failure will take over
She would rather sleep all day, than traipse through fields of clover
I have to take her with me, she needs it just as I do
The time to change her lifestyle...is also over doo doo (ha ha, couldn't resist)

Today I tipped the weigh scale at more than when I started
Eating healthy every day, is not for the faint hearted
How can this be? I've done it all! right down to eating Kashi
I have gained??? NOT! CAN'T BE!
...I'm smelling something f...i..s..hhhy

There behind my nekked tush, a paw is reaching forward
And pushing on my bathroom scale! NOW LET ME BE STRAIGHT FORWARD
I don't need a dog... that's smart...well almost smart as I am.
Tipping the scales in her favor...
I'd call that...Bathroom Spam!

chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 09:14 PM

HA! That is absolutely the cutest thang I've read in a longgggggg time...(with the exception of my own stuff, of course)... Do I have your permission to post this on my web page? Hmmm? You get full credit, of course!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/22/06 10:39 PM

Please publish Chick's poem JJ!!!!!

One more congratulations too on your continued weight loss success. [Wink] [Smile]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/23/06 11:12 PM

chick, how sweet of you to think of Jawjaw in such a thoughtful way. It's awesome.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/24/06 02:26 AM

I'm so glad you wanted to post this JJ, I was going to suggest posting this masterpiece and
(I mean that sincerely) in the newsletter, All Things Royal....just perfect Chickadee, you really hit a home run with this one. Oh and JJ I have to tell you I am totally in love with the Elephant on your contest page....

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/24/06 02:57 AM

Chick, you are one talented bird!!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/24/06 05:00 AM

Gee guys, I'm 'barassed with all your kind comments [Embarrassed] .
I'm glad you all like the poem. You are welcome to use it anywhere you like, it's yours JJ.
Ya'll be careful now...I like writing humor poems and when it strikes me...watch out. You could be next [Razz]
chick
Posted by: Ms. Sotmary

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/24/06 07:30 PM

Has anyone heard of "Metabolic Typing"? I have been following the recommendations for 2 years and my weight has been stable, with or without exercise alterations. It is based on making it easy for your body to keep to the proper pH balance. You get one of 2 food lists and that's it, no counting anything. Generally the 2 types are lighter or heavier foods but the purines, which I had never heard of, are listed to. My blog has all the book info. and the website "Nutrition Solution" by Harold Kristal.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 01/25/06 08:53 AM

Christine, I know absolutely nothing about this, but am interested. Which blog?

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/16/06 07:02 PM

Top of da Mornin' to ya! I'm in rare form todayyyyy...Why? (DRUM ROLL PLEASEEEE)

As of this morning, I've lost 14 pounds. I have also lost 3 more inches. That makes 10 inches and 14 pounds. Now the inches are from all over my bode, not one spot, but hey, I'll take it, am I right?

Can I get a hallelujah?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/16/06 07:11 PM

Congrats J.J.!

You are the incredible shrinking woman! You go girl.

I was at my weight loss center yesterday - and they have this HUGE blob of fat. I'm like, "this is 10 lbs of fat, right?" The lady said, "nope, 5 lbs". I didn't believe her -- I made her weigh it. uggggghhhhhh it was only 5 lbs. GROSS!

Paste a couple of those on your body - and imagine what it looks like.

danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/16/06 09:08 PM

Hallelujah, JJ!!! Good for you! Bet you have lots of energy. [Smile]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/16/06 09:09 PM

Danita, I don't have to imagine it!! I can SEE it. [Frown]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/16/06 11:56 PM

[Big Grin] Gimme an H, gimme an A, Gim...me...an... [Big Grin]
whaaatttt? [Confused]
H.A.L.L.E.L.U.J.A.H. [Big Grin]

These are serious numbers JJ. I am so proud of you.
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 01:59 AM

That is amazing JJ!!!!!! Betcha didn't think you could lose that much?

Doesn't it feel great to have your ol' clothes just hangin' there on your bod? Now you've got a good excuse to get some new ones. Get sumpin' a little wild and think of me when you do. [Razz] [Wink]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 02:54 AM

Yeah for Queen JJ, and maybe having two dynamic diet partners helped some, I hope, I hope!!!

Yuk Danita I saw that once when Oprah pulled a wagon filled with ugly, old yellow blobs of lard that were suppose to weigh 20 lbs. so gross....

Oh and Ladybug do you mean buy bright red clothes with black spots, the color of a Ladybug, he, he...
[Big Grin]

[ February 16, 2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 03:17 AM

Ladybug......Congrats to you. How absolutely wonderful!!!
Keep it up girl.
I'm finally back onto the losing path also. I've lost another six lbs., so that makes 66 lbs!!!!
Don't know how much you want to lose, but keep up the exercise and the whatever you're doing with the food, and you mind set will stay with you.
You have to be so proud!!
Lynne

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 04:12 AM

Hallelujah! Good for you...hip, hip....hoooray.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 09:23 PM

Well, hmmmm, let's see, sumpin' wild for me means bright colors and a bit tighter fit than usual. Maybe sumpin' you wouldn't ordinarily wear like boots with tight jeans tucked into them. Let's get crazy here, anyone else got any ideas for her majesty??

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 10:01 PM

Congrats to all of you wonderful, inspiring women. Hallelujah and pass the Oreo's.

I ate horribly on our trip to MN and David went to the grocery store for me (another story) and brought back all this fattening food. It's eat it or starve. I'm going to be a blimp!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/17/06 10:16 PM

Springs around the corner Dianne and that means getting outside and walking, if you wanted to. Or maybe you can join a gym in the meantime? If nothing else, do like our Vicki Taylor did, and march in place whenever a commercial comes on. She lost alot of weight that way...

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/18/06 12:49 PM

Congrats to all of you above : )
Every lost pound counts!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/18/06 06:08 PM

Congrats to all you losers!

I want to be a loser too. I'm walking tons, but still putting too much food in my mouth.

Dianne, do they have an exercise club in your building? It might be a great way to meet some people.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/18/06 06:14 PM

I said I would NEVER diet again...and around the 1st of the year...I went and checked out a different weight loss system. I just wasn't able to take off and keep off the weight all by myself.

It is the "Metobolic Research Center" diet. I haven't talked about it, because I wanted to see how it went.

Well, as of last weds., I've lost 22lbs and 36 inches. (ALOT of it in my stomach)..Talk about excited!

With the system you eat reg. food, take herbs and suppliments - and eat high protein low carbs. Sounds like the average diet, but they also have the "high nutrient drinks" that you have 5 times a day that not only curb your hunger, but give your body more protein.

I like that they also monitor your body fat v.s. muscle weight to make sure you aren't losing muscle. They also moniter you for a year to make sure you keep the weight off. Love that

This diet has been a Godsend for me. I have about 38 lbs more to lose, and should have it off by May. WOoo hooo.

My girlfriend (who lurks on this site) is worried about how low-carb it is. She and her DH have read that if you don't get enough carbs, your brain turns to mush. LOL. I HAVE had some depression in the last 3 wks, but it could be due to ALOT of things, the diet included. (not eating sugar since Jan 1 ---who wouldn't be depressed ---am I right J J?

Anywho, just wanted to put this info out there. This diet is not for everyone. It is definitly not for the weak of heart. It takes commitment and focus...but girls, my fat no longer serves me. In fact, during this period of my life, it is a huge hinderance!

hugs,
danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/18/06 07:14 PM

Danita,
I am in your court. I think what you have done is once again show the world what women are made of. And I'm not talking about fat either. I'm talking about fortitude, perservence, determination, and Will. You are amazing. Simply amazing.

There are some who would who would argue that 5 lbs isn't so much, much less what we have lost. I say go to the grocery store and pick up a 5 lb page of potatoes and carry that around all day tied to your waist...Hell-O? I have, in essence, been carrying around a truck load of potatoes...

I'm sure that everybody joins me in saying that we would be thrilled for you to report your progress, but only if you want to. I'm not trying to put pressure on you, that's for sure.

You've made a conscious decision for yourself to be healthier and I applaud you for this. I'm sure others out there might be thinking now, "Well ... Maybe I can do it, too?" See? You just never know when what you've accomplished will spur on someone else. Like I said, no pressure! hahahah....

So proud for you Danita....so proud!

36" ??? That an entire bust!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/20/06 07:26 PM

I hope not an entire bust J.J. LOL. Some fat (in the right places) is a good thing! LOL.

Have I posted this saying:

NOTHING tastes as good as THIN FEELS!

Wooo hooooo! Lose on girls!

Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/20/06 10:49 PM

Danita, congrats. Glad to hear it's working for you. I can't imagine life without some kind of sugar.

You and Jawjaw are on a roll, and it's not a fat roll wither!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 12:07 AM

Thanks Dots!

You are sooo witty!

It is FREEING to not be addicted food.

Food is just my fuel...I LOVE that! Sometimes I yearn for the "good old days"..but then I see what I looked like and I say...

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"!

yup!

D.
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 01:10 AM

Danita, been steering clear of this forum, lest I be convinced to change my habits and confront my love of comfort food!!!!

But now I am forced to peek in here - congratulations!!! I am awed by your ability to accomplish so much for yourself - I'm tagging behind, just waiting to get the bug! Holding on to your shirt tail.........

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 02:17 AM

Searcher,

you are such a doll....

I thought I felt something dragging behind me. LOL. I thought it was my big behind!

You just keep hanging onto my shirt tail...you can go where ever I go! And if you need me to send you bugs instead of chocolite, I can do that!

hugs,
me
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 02:27 AM

Bugs? Chocolite? Is that like Bakelite???? Oh Danitaaaaaa!!!! You are my inspiration, even tho you are years my junior!!! Course I figure, I was on hold for about 20 years or so, I'm just beginning! Here's the formula : you can't count til you're 21 since you were a child until then. So I began at 21. Then I had some major setbacks due to divorce and then Nichole's illness, these took about 28 years, perhaps 34. So 58 minus 34 is 24. That's how old I am today!!!! Oh, yeah, and if I subtract the 21, I'm 3. 'bout right.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 06:46 AM

Danita...congrats on your weight loss!! What a terrific way to begin the new year...you'll be such a Babe driving around in your new Mercedes...your hubby is going to have to hire a Bodyguard for you... [Smile] Keep on Losing!!! [Smile]

Searcher...I love the way you do math!!! [Big Grin]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/22/06 08:39 AM

TA DAAAA! When someone goes to the trouble of showoing you they care, they should be given kudos...don't you agree?

Please visit http://www.queenjawjaw.com/ and click on the appropriate button, which is Ode to da Queen, a poem.

THANKS CHICK...you're the best!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 09:12 PM

Very cool. Way to go chick!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/21/06 11:58 PM

JJ, thanks for posting our fabulous Chickadee's poem on your website.

Chick, congratulations to you!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/22/06 02:14 AM

Chick,
That poem is awesome!
JJ, thanks for putting it up at your site for all to see!
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/22/06 02:16 AM

Congrats Chick on the poem for JJ....it's awesome!!! WOO HOO!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 02/22/06 06:57 PM

[Embarrassed] Gee JJ, you sure know how to make a friend's day [Embarrassed]
It was my pleasure to write it for you. You are so special to me.
Thank you all for you comments, too. I am all puffed up. [Big Grin]
chick

[ February 22, 2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/08/06 06:34 PM

JJ, how have you been doing with your diet lately. I know you haven't been feeling well.
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/20/06 06:00 PM

Chick,
Bringing this baby back up to sayyyyyyy...as of last Tuesday, I'm down 20 pounds. I'm not sure on the inches yet, but I know I'm wearing jeans I couldn't wear for two years now. Wuhooooo....

And to think I only have 1,000 pounds to go!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/20/06 06:19 PM

jawjaw, you and danita are on a roll. The next thousand will be a cinch.

I'm proud of you. Are you still walking?

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/20/06 06:34 PM

yes ma'am....although I didn't this weekend. I was to busy transferring a bazillion files from AOL to my new carrier. Somebody just shoot me NOW.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/20/06 07:13 PM

way to go JJ!

33 lbs for me as of last week. Wooo hoo. I expect to be down another 3-5 this week.

I love melting away -- it is soooo much fun!

d.

(nothing tastes as good as thin feels!)

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/21/06 08:06 AM

WUHOOOO! Are we the big losers or what? Wait...that didn't come out right. Heck, you know what I mean. Go Danita! Go Danita! Course at this rate, I'll never catch up to you...sniff...sniff.

JJ
Posted by: Casey

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/21/06 08:48 AM

O.K. Help!!!!!!
My weight is SOO stubborn. I really want to lose about 60 pounds and no matter what I do, it sticks. Money should stick this well!
Support welcome as long as it's not critical. My family criticized my body my whole life. Can we say "poor body image"?
I'm off to a job where I sit most of the day. Looks like it's going to rain, so walking is probably not an option. When I get home, I need to immediately get on a phone call for one of my in-home businesses. That ends at 7:30 and I am beat by then.
Congratulations to all of you on the losing train!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/21/06 01:26 AM

Casey,
I guess a lot of advice offered would depend on the person. Like I have to follow a plan. I can't just diet. I wouldn't stick to it. AND...the most important element is a person has to be ready. Not lip service....ready.

I'm follow Joe Dillon's, 7 Natural Laws and Danita has another program she loves. I'll let her tell you about that one.

If you want to read all about it, and get TONS of free info, go here: http://www.7naturallaws.com/

It's mainly giving up bread, sugar, diet sodas, and adding high protein, low carb meals to your daily routine. This is something to follow for life, not just for a while. I can honestly say I feel great. Also, I've been on this since January 2nd, and I've dropped 20 pounds. I would have dropped more if I had started exercising sooner. I didn't. I just followed his plan WITHOUT the exercising and you don't want to do this...trust me.

Hope this helps. I would be glad to answer ANY questions you may have.

I'm sure as soon as Danita gets an opportunity, she will give you the info on her plan as well.

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/21/06 01:27 AM

p.s. drink TONS of water. TONS....the more water, the faster the weight comes off....
Posted by: downdog

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/21/06 03:49 AM

Hey, I'm new. Very interested in these diet plans, will look into jawjaw's, what do you do Danita? I sure agree with the "nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/22/06 02:26 AM

I'm doing a metabolic diet - done by the "metabolic research center".

It is VERY simular to JJ's.....except I'm accountable to a weight loss center - which helps me alot! Pay money - do the plan - lose weight. The center has us on additional protein drinks which help keep the old fire burning.

I too have given up caffiene, alcohol, sugar, and most carbs. This is how I will eat until I die. More energy, no cravings. LOVE IT!

Eating to live not living to eat!

Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/23/06 08:32 AM

I think you are all really brave. I've tried to give up caffene, alcohol, sugar and carbs, but always felt low and with less energy. Perhaps I just need to pick one thing to change at a time. I'm going to start with exercise. I've got it in my calendar to start with 1/2 hour commitment 3-4 times a week.

I am drinking water -- but not enough I think.

Thanks for the support!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/22/06 09:36 PM

Casey, one thing you can do to calculate the amount of water you need to keep yourself hydrated is to take your weight and divide it by 2...that is the minimum number of ounces of water you need daily. So if you weighed 200, for instance, you would need 100 ounces of water daily.

Now, I don't drink my minimum amount because it would require me having a commode strapped to my rear end so I could T every minute or so, but I drink at least 4 16.9 oz. bottled waters a day. At least. That's nearly 70 ounces but not enough. Some days I drink more, some less. I will tell you this. I'm sharper on the days I drink what I should, and then some. Go figure!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/22/06 09:38 PM

p.s. Now you know why they call me a gabologist...sorry...but I wanted to say this and then I'll hush. If you are going to give up one thing at a time, I would say start by giving up SUGAR right off the bat. Go to a health food store and buy up some Stevia. It is a substitute for sugar and is good for you! Once you do, you won't be able to eat sugar, it will be too sweet and will gag you...no joke!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/22/06 09:47 PM

Water, water everywhere and I hate to drink the stuff. Why? And this bathroom run every 5 or 10 minutes gets me too.

JJ you are too funny...commode ha ha.

You know what's good for water on the brain don't you?

A tap on the head...ha ha get it. tap...water...faucet. [Roll Eyes]

chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/23/06 02:10 AM

My mother always says "drink lots of water it clears the cobwebs from your brain." Mother is now 85 1/2 not overweight and works a 40 hour a week job plus takes care of my Epileptic brother so me thinks she knows of what she speaks...

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/24/06 06:15 PM

I can't imagine giving up sugar. I am a carb addict and don't know where to begin.

What would I have for breakfast if I didn't have cereal, an English muffin, blueberry muffin, toast? If I have poached eggs, I have them on toast. If it's bacon, I want it on toast.

Seriously, what do you gals eat for breakfast that isn't carbs or all fat?

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/24/06 06:37 PM

Dotsie, I'm kind of doing the low carb diet and I used to eat toast for breakfast. Now I have a hard boiled egg. I hardly ever eat regular bread, it has to be homemade at a restaurant. I never eat potatoes unless they're homemade mashed. You would be surprised at the amount of carbs in certain foods. I recently learned that bananas have 23 - that's a bunch. I buy low carb bread and it's edible when you put a great chicken salad on it.

I suggest you purchase one of the Adkins or South Beach diet cookbooks.

Daisygirl

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/24/06 10:43 PM

I walked yesterday for 30 fast minutes. I was going to garden (strenuously) today, but my day just got tossed. It's good, but stressful. My son is being released from jail so I can drive him to San Francisco (2 hours) to go into a 2 year program. And my ex- wants to go as well. Yick. But I can't deny it as we won't have any contact with Jesse for at least 12 months. And, being the control freak I am, I will drive. (My ex doesn't drive well, anyway!)

Water isn't going to work today either -- going to the bathroom frequently isn't realistic! LOL!

I'll "intend" not to have sugar and see how far I get! Thanks for the support.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/25/06 06:26 AM

I eat Kashi cereal and sometimes I have fruit, or I'll make a delicious strawberry (fresh or frozen), banana, and skim milk milkshake and drink that. It makes enough for two or three meals, too. Even fresh fruit has natural sugar in it so you can't totally get away from it. I would just watch the "sugar content."

Casey! Wonderful. You have to start somewhere...you are so right about the water and the drive over there. I wouldn't do it either. I tell everybody I'm good for about 20 miles, then I have to stop and go. Good for you though making a start!

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/25/06 10:00 PM

O.K. Sigh of relief. That's done.
I didn't have any processed sugar yesterday -- no cookies, ice cream, etc. High on the fat content because the group insisted on Denny's -- yick! But I had diet coke and not a milk shake, so yea me!

Today I will get at least 8 glasses of water and a 1/2 hour of exercise. I will continue to avoid the processed sugar.

Thanks for the support!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/25/06 10:13 PM

I've just decided I'm going to lose 7 lbs. in the next 3 1/2 weeks (that's 2 lbs. a week) which brings me to April 19th - Hitler's birthday!!
Hold me accountable, ok?? Going to try to cut out sugar and butter (my big weaknesses)and I've started my morning walks again.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/25/06 11:31 PM

Ok, I'll hop on the train with you, Bluebird. 7 lb loss for me too. I'm holding you accountable.
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/26/06 12:19 AM

Chick, don't ride a train girlfriend, WALK. hahahaa ...ahem...sorry, couldn't resist.

I lose ounces every week, not pounds and that is very frustrating to me especially when I hear of others losing 2-3 pounds a week on Atkins, South Beach, Zone, etc...but I can't do those because I have liver problems if I do, so I have to stick with what I'm doing. And it IS working, just slow as molasses...Mmmmm, Molasses...yum...

AnyHOO...Bluebird, Casey and Chick, we're behind ya! Report in once a week ONLY IF YOU WANT TO...k?

JJ

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/26/06 12:55 AM

I really like having the daily goals and reporting back cause you are all soooo supportive! I don't have a scale (I got rid of it because I obsessed over it and it ruined my day!), so I can't keep track of weight -- just how my clothes feel!

Thanks, gals!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/26/06 02:58 AM

Casey maybe you should join the diet forum as well, those gals will keep you on your toes and offer unlimited support, just ask Dotsie for the password in order to enter there.
Go Bluebird and Chick and count me in I can lo9se 7 pounds in 3 weeks, I THINK???
Posted by: flossie

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/27/06 12:53 AM

Good luck all of you, looking forward to seeing the good results!

Summer is coming for you all so I guess you've been getting out those summer clothes again! One should always add a few pounds over winter.....they help keep you warm! But it's nice to be able to lose them for summer.

Remember water, walking, salads and cut the bread! Best of luck girls!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/29/06 02:59 AM

Flossie, that's my problem. I'm forever cutting the bread and putting butter on it!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/30/06 08:51 AM

Well it took me 4 days, but one pound down...6 more to go!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/29/06 09:00 PM

You go, GIRL!
Posted by: flossie

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/30/06 12:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Flossie, that's my problem. I'm forever cutting the bread and putting butter on it!

Well said Dotsie!! I treat myself to toast once a week and add the butter, yumbos!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/30/06 01:57 AM

I wonder why bread is do hard to give up. I can leave candy along but actually lust after bread.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/30/06 02:08 AM

On the metabolic plan I'm doing - I can have a 45 cal slice of bread for breakfast, and the same for dinner. I use the spray on butter.

I don't crave sugar OR bread anymore

d.
Posted by: downdog

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/31/06 07:03 AM

I'd like on this band wagon, woke up one morning and there they were...rolls around my stomach! I swear it happened overnight. Anyway, I also don't use a scale, tossed it out in a fit a few years ago, but can very much tell by my clothes. Would love to join the 7 lbs in 3 wks gals. I'm going to try to DRASTICALLY reduce portions, to size of fist, not eat after 5 pm, or at least 6. Only 2-3 meals. How do you feel about breakfast? I know how important they say it is, but I'm just as hungry at lunch if I eat it as if I don't.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/31/06 05:55 PM

They say you should eat breakfast within 45 mins of getting up in the morning. This kick starts your metabolism. (breaking the "fast" that you've had since you ate the evening before)

I've found that eating every 3-4 hours helps keep my bingeing down, and also keeps the fire (metabolism) burning!

Danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 03/31/06 07:09 PM

Day # 7 - down 2 pounds!! And I've only walked 2 times!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 04/01/06 05:14 AM

As of this morning I am down 3 pounds, can't believe how when you stick to your plan it actually works. I stay up late so get up late as well and eat bunch instead of breakfast then eat dinner around 6:00 PM. The only exercise I get is during TV commercials, I march in place waving my arms around like a composer. But soon the pools open and watch out then....

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 04/06/06 03:52 PM

5 lb loss today....when is the deadline? I gave up diet drinks. Dianne, this might interest you also...I am drinking pom juice. Instead of the shot a day, I am adding it to Perrier. I call it my antiox spritzer. Tastes great!
chick

[ April 06, 2006, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 04/24/06 08:57 PM

Well, it's been over 4 weeks for me and I am NOT down 7 pounds, like I wanted!! I did lose about 3, though, and have started walking again, so my Boomer Butt is not so...Booming!!

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 04/25/06 01:27 AM

I made it to 8 pounds but it was a real struggle. Maybe now that my pool is all sparkly and clean I can get more exercise and drop more weight.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 05/14/06 04:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Just jumped a HUGE hurdle and wanted to share...

I went out and bought (gulp) shorts today...I haven't worn shorts in probably 15 years.

I have now lost 45 pounds, and feel confident enough to show my legs. WOoooo hooooooo!

DH is coming home, wonder what he's going to think. Ah, who cares. LOL!

Losing weight has been such a huge blessing for me! Still have about 5 - 10 pounds to go.

How are the rest of you all doing?

hugs,
danita

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 05/14/06 08:18 PM

I made 7 lbs and am going for 7 more. Girls, we are good for each other aren't we? Congrats to all who are doing so well. 45 is a whole lotta weight to lose. Wowza!
chick

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 05/15/06 04:48 PM

YOU GO GIRL! Every pound counts!

d.

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 05/15/06 06:39 PM

Danita, I think it's time for a new picture at NABBW. We want to see what you look like! YOu go girl.

And Chick, good for you too. I only need to lose 10, but I can't seem to get motivated.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Diets - The Final Frontier - 05/16/06 01:58 PM

I am being brave....
Admitting to you girls I am growing (F_T)
I have never been skinny. I was very supple due to daily gym with pupils who needed extra imput.Then in my 40's I had a hysterectomy followed by a racing thyroid which DID make me way too thin.It was nice to fir smaller skirts but my face was gaunt.I then had radio active treatment and will be on thyroine for life.
I had an injury to my acral bone..now have athritis.I am limited in movement.Went through a reactive depression and now feel ready to be a true boomer.
Enough of that.
I do so want to have an eating plan for life.I accsociate food with nurture.We had rationing here in the UK when I was tiny...so treats were foods that were scare.I have successfully lost weight prior to my hysterctomy knowing that this was good for my recovering.As I may need a repair soon(bladder problems) I must try.
Being at home now is one problem All the goodies at hand.I just buy bigger clothes and feel I am almost giving in to be a round lady.At the most I need to loose 14 pounds.Can someone who has been able to work out an eating plan advise me.
I cannot eat any saccilyc acid foods due to allergy(serious anaphaltic shock) I prefer savoury foods .
I do hope there is help from somone.
Thank You
Mountain Ash