Smoking Section Only

Posted by: ladybug

Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 04:28 AM

I decided to dedicate a site for my smoking ladies to post their pet peeves they have had to endure from non-smokers. Tell me about incidents in restaurants, other public places and homes of friends or relatives.

[ November 22, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 06:55 AM

and where IS that site Ladybug?
Posted by: norma

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 07:26 AM

Hi Bug... i think i'll use this site to get rid of peeves that also drive one to ...../ for example all these characters in our provincial government, who we just found out voted themselves a 15% wage hike, and yet set wage increases at 0% for teachers, hospital workers etc. This world is so full of gd hypocrites makes me sick. This kind of information generally calls for about 6 cigerettes in a row... But instead had one and am typing you... now that's an improvement eh.

All indoor public places here are no smoking. I think everyone agrees to that here, both nicotine addicts and non addicts. I dont smoke at anyone's home who doesn't smoke and may sit an hour visiting with someone in my house if they dont smoke before i light up.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 07:28 AM

Bug... forgot to say thank you ...... for more than a few comments you've posted in various sites as well as this.... thank you.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 06:54 PM

Thank you too norma. I felt that we need to hear the smoker's side of this issue. Maybe the things smokers post here can help us get along a lot better with this issue.

Hi JawJaw! This topic itself was created as a little mini website for our forum smoking ladies to "air" their pet peeves, no other special place, just right here.

So please, smoking ladies, please feel free to post things to educate us non-smokers.

[ November 20, 2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 06:55 PM

I see. When you said you were dedicating a site, I thought you meant you had built a new web site or something. My bad.

JJ

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 08:08 AM

It's okay, no problem. I'm just not talented enough to start a new website although my son could do it for me. I thought it's very easy to have it here sorta like a mall, all under one roof.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 09:24 PM

The credit for my acceptance and better understanding of smokers is entirely my sons. I wish you all could meet him. He saved my sanity when his dad, my husband had a stroke. He went on walks with me and listened to me rant and cry. At times he admitted, it brought him down too. We're over that now.

My point is: people will smoke and continue to smoke because they like it. Granted, it's not good for one's health but I also think it's high time that we stop treating smokers as if they have a dreaded disease. They help pay taxes and are contributing members of society just like the rest of us.

I want to help smokers by allowing them to post the problems society is also causing them to incur. Yes, it's a two-way street. With their help we can all come to a better understanding and acceptance. Let's all respect one another as we were meant to. We can't if we want only our side to be heard.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 10:05 PM

I guess I'll start first then.

Back awhile ago my son liked to smoke cigars. He didn't inhale (I know, I know) but smoked them for the visual persona of sexiness, manliness, whatever. He doesn't now. It was a once a week or so thing. Anyway, it was a warm day and between classes on his college campus. He sat down as far away from anyone as he could get and lit up. A girl he didn't know came up to him and said, "do you know how disgusting you look with that cigar in your mouth?" He said he smiled and said, "tell me about it." She proceeded to tell him about others "rights", air pollution and of course health concerns. I think she meant well but at the same time she was extremely rude and way out of line. She could have chosen a much nicer approach than starting off by calling a person disgusting. Actually I would think it's very unwise and unsafe to approach a stranger with comments that are instantly inflammatory to their character when you don't even know the person.

From that time on and with his new job he's been able to understand and sympathize with smokers.

Now let's hear your stories.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 10:24 PM

As a former smoker I can honestly say I probably bothered many people. Smoking is very selfish. It robs us of fun times because we're thinking of how to get away and smoke. We don't finish our meals so we can feed the moster when it calls. If we're in a non smoking environment, we aren't that comfy because the addiction is calling to us. It steals from our lives.

I think the comment made to your son is a college thing. Immaturity.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/20/05 11:16 PM

Thanks Bug.. less than a pack yesterday..
Smoking can prevent a bad situation from esculating. For example, on more than one occasion in the past, i had wanted to holler 'you g.. d..... ignorant, mean, bullying moron !!! "
Now that would obviously make matters worse, of course i'd tried 'discussing' in a reasonable way first, i am not stupid. So, i'd say nothing, light up a cigerette and try to change the subject.
"The wisdom to accept the things i cannot change," for me means, i can accept that somebody can be a mean, bullying, moron, but "to change the things i can" means, neither i, nor any one under my care is going to be a target any more.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 02:09 AM

norma, I hope less than a pack means this is an improvement.

Why are cigarettes so expensive? In Ohio the tax on cigarettes is really high.

A good friend of mine smokes. When I'm in her van she is courteous and opens the window a little to let the smoke out. I would never think of hurting or insulting her by asking her not to smoke. I value her company and it isn't going to kill me for the 20 minutes or so that I'm in her van. I don't lecture her either about smoking. I figure if she wants to quit she will.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 04:43 AM

I'm not exactly sure what all this is about or even for. Nothing posted here is going to change the laws or the fact that smoking is a nasty health hazzard that bothers everyone who is around the smoke. What is, is and I think we all know the in's and out's of smoking or non smoking.....maybe I missed something???
Posted by: unique

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 05:44 AM

I think it's just a place to vent, Chatty. You can't change a person with a big, sharp stick so I think we know a few words isn't going to change anything.

I haven't had anyone be rude to me about it, but then, I try not to be rude when I'm doing it either. I can't imagine anyone being silly enough to challenge me about it in my own home or outside. But people do crazy things and just when I think I've seen it all - I see something else, so you never know.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 06:21 AM

Thank you unique, because that is what this place is,a place to vent.

People are still going to smoke because they like to.

I am tired of having smokers treated like lepers.

I'm not nor have I ever been a smoker. My husband does not and never has smoked. What I'm trying to do here is to accept my fellow smokers and let them know I donot think they are nasty people.

People are going to smoke no matter how much others want to harass them. It is their right.

I want to encourage people to try to quit because I know they can. But, I feel that to harass and lecture a smoker is not the answer.

I felt really good today to see that norma smoked less than usual. That's a good start norma.

[ November 20, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 06:23 AM

Hi Ladybug and others, i've made you my unofficial 'sponsor' Bug, is it okay ?
(i' should not shorten your name, i use it as term of affection though) You probably know about the 12 steps in many programs, and the serenity prayer which goes along with all the programs, so i think you understand when i'm referring to parts of the prayer in my posts, for me that is part of the key if i can made it.

Yes, less than a pack is an improvement, when a carton is in the house.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 06:15 PM

For those of you who have Encarta on your computer please check out the interesting facts on tobacco and smoking.

Were you aware that once you have stopped smoking for two weeks to one month your body has physically beaten the addiction. You're not home free however. It takes the psychological aspect (your mind), one to two years to accept and adjust to not having the tobacco. See why this addiction is so hard to break?

The more you know the stronger you will be to break it. You CAN do it.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 06:22 PM

Bug,
I like the positive aspects you bring to this section, and I sincerely hope everyone appreciates your efforts. Kudos!

JJ

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 06:39 PM

What is Encarta? I read that after four hours of not smoking, your body begins to heal itself. I think that's amazing.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 07:37 PM

I posted in the other smoking topic...I'll do it here from now on.
This is surely going to help me. I just feel closer to quitting than I ever have in my life.
Thank You sooooo much, everyone.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 07:53 PM

Yes, norma calling me "bug is okay and I feel very good to know that I am your unofficial sponsor. I'm also pleased that you've made a courageous effort to cut back.

JawJaw thank you for your compliments too. I really enjoyed your newsletter today!

Chickadee, I wanted this special area to avoid any negative comments we might get which I feel would sabotage your efforts at quitting. I just came up with this idea and hope Dotsie doesn't mind especially because I made a big boo-boo but not asking her first. I thought of it after I had done it but knowing Dotsie she is all for anything that helps everyone. You also do my heart glad to hear you are closer to quitting than ever before in your life. You can do it sweet chickadee.

Dianne, Encarta is usually given free with the purchase of your computer. It's like an entire set of encyclopedias. You might have something different but check it out.

Remember, do not be hard on yourselves if you "backslide." the holidays bring stress, mostly being with relatives that can get on your nerves. If you find yourselves sneaking out for a smoke to relieve the stress try eating a little something first or take a short walk if it isn't below freezing!

Keep posting on here each day with your progress and I'll be in to check on you and talk.

I can tell you're all really beautiful people with hearts of gold. We can all help each other.
My love to you today and SMILE!

[ November 21, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 08:06 AM

I'd also like to ask you if you know that those god-awful high taxes you are charged on your smokes helps to pay for all kinds of worthwhile projects in your state? People who are rigidly anti-smoking never think of that.

In colonial times nearly everyone smoked. The tobacco industry at that time literally helped build this country. Tobacco has many useful medicinal purposes. I'm not encouraging tobacco here but also trying to lessen the stigma associated with it. Tobacco has an interesting history.

Feel free to add any other facts here. My son said I really should read up on tobacco so I can be more helpful to you. He taught me a lot last night about it on our evening walk. He thinks this "mini-forum" is a good idea.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 10:31 PM

Let's also look at the pros and cons the anti-smoking groups have generated:

Pro: bringing more awareness to the dangers of smoking and perhaps making someone who is about to smoke not smoke. Very good point.

Con: indoctrinating far too many people to develop a strong dislike for smokers and maybe even allowing people to think it's okay to "bash" smokers. Before these groups came out against smoking you didn't hear of extreme rudeness to smokers. Note all the unsavory activities they equate with smoking. I'm sure 99% of you and more are just honest, law-abiding individuals who simply like to smoke.

When you decide to finally quit (as some of you already have) remember to first, be doing it for yourself because YOU are the biggest benefactor.

For an example of how strongly the media affects people we can look to the city of Cleveland. The famous Cleveland Indians logo is a funny-looking red-faced cartoon character. Certain groups came out in full force a few years ago saying this logo demeans all American Indians. Guess what? I never even equated this cartoonish character with a real American Indian until these folks brought it up. Now almost everyone hates this decades old beloved icon. His familar face has been almost totally dropped from all Indians advertising and products. All through the power of certain groups.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 10:38 PM

Chick.. having only 4 i think is tremendous, i had 15 yesterday, and that is a big improvement for me.

Bug.. because of the high cost to our health system due to smoking, not only lung cancer, but ulcers, depression, etc. the tax on cigerettes apparently doesn't even come near the covering the cost - another reason why we pound ourselves with guilt here. And another reason why being accepted without criticism by you is such a gift.

Each cigerette is not only a relief from the craving, but a reinforcement of guilt for a number of reasons, besides our adding to the health care costs.

How to start the day without 2 in a row I dont know. That is going to be major step for me.
Maybe "Learn to accept the things i cannot change"
meaning the first hour will have to be just endured... well that will be for tomorrow as this day has already begun. Thanks Bug.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 10:47 PM

Guilt...... oh how that gets reinforced in so many subtle and not so subtle ways throughtout society, and not only because one smokes....
Bug..... thanks again.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/21/05 11:25 PM

A neighbor of mine was raised on a tobacco farm and told me his mother would not allow any of her children to smoke. Just an interesting tidbit of information to make you think.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 01:13 AM

Norma and anyone else feeling guilt please stop.

What about the cost to health care from people who have heart attacks and strokes (my husband being one)? What about drug addicts and alcoholics as well? How about people who engage in risky sexual behavior and have the unfortunate outcome of aids?

Certainly these people add to the cost of health care and I've never heard one of them express any guilt about it, yet their numbers are much, much higher. I know many, many more people with heart disease and diabetes than lung cancer. I'm not telling you to go ahead and have that cigarette but I just want you to stop feeling guilty. Do you pay for health insurance? Nobody gave it to you for free did they?

Start right now by throwing the guilt out the window because it's unfounded. Instead feel good about yourself for trying to kick this habit.

Promise the 'ol bug, no more guilt.

[ November 21, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 01:38 AM

I hope no one with these serious diseases took offense. It was not meant to offend anyone but just to make a point.

Almost all of us could feel guilt for contributing to the costs of health care but we shouldn't because we're only human and we make mistakes. Many diseases aren't even our faults. Sometimes we can have the healthiest life style and still wind up with a disease but we can't allow ourselves to feel guilty.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 03:35 AM

My ex BIL used to nag me and insult me about my smoking. Like I was uneducated or something. He's a doctor and is now HIV Positive. Seems he had unprotected sex. And, he looked down his nose at me? I'd rather smoke any day than know I could go into full blown AIDS any day.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 03:55 AM

I burst out laughing in pure delight when i read your wonderful request for the promise Bug, it's a deal, best request i've ever heard bar none.

Chick.. when your experiencing a moment of pure pleasure, do you then also want to light up a cigerette ? Kinda like sharing the joy with an old friend?

At this age in life, we have already had to accept the loss of so many treasured relatives and friends , i wonder if it would help by considering my cigerette as an old and steady companion who is also dying?

Bug... thank you, i cant think of anyone would make a better sponser!!!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 04:27 AM

I have never smoked a cigarette or drank liquor but never looked my nose down at anyone else that did either. I and my ex owned a cocktail lounge and I was a lounge singer in Chicago an probably inhaled enough second hand smoke to kill me ten times over. Yet here I am. Now my girlfriend also never smoked and none of her family smoked and she worked in a (smokeless)Church rectory and died of lung cancer, so go figure...Sometimes Ladybug it just takes one person to get the ball rolling and make a difference on our planet, bravo for your efforts!

[ November 21, 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 04:44 AM

Thanks Chatty.

Did any of you know that a few years back one of the tobacco companies (Phillip Morris?) actually admitted that they spiked their tobacco products with extra nicotine knowing full well that it would be that much more addictive? What do you think about that? Would you have smoked their product knowing this? I don't think so.

Ladies, smoking is just such a small part of who you are. How about acknowledging all the good you do for your families and friends? Please focus on that.

We women are so good at easily accepting guilt. We heap it on our shoulders like a pile of rotted dung. Do you know any men smokers who feel one ounce of guilt for doing it and "contributing to the rising health care costs?" I doubt it.

You've got to start feeling good about yourselves again and that's maybe what will finally make you kick this habit square in the butt.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 04:55 AM

I am not a smoker hater or crusader of any kind, but I think people resent smokers, not only for the strain smoking related diseases place on the health care system, but also because smoking is one of the few addictions that affects the comfort and physical health of by-standers. It may be difficult for a smoker who loves a cigarette to imagine, but smoke stinks and it hurts the lungs of non-smokers.

Only after a smoker has stopped smoking for a while do they regain their sense of smell and reinflate their lungs. Only then can they smell and feel what non-smokers always feel around cigarette smoke.

Secondhand smoke is definitely a health hazard and inhaling it is very uncomfortable for the non-smoker.

All smokers seem to think they are careful not to inflict their smoke on others, but I really don't think there is a way to avoid it. Cigarette smoke smells bad, is corrosive, and hurts the lungs of non-smokers.

Not to place guilt, but those are just facts that I hope inspire more smokers to quit.

smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 05:24 AM

Why do non-smokers resent smokers any more than the fellow who gorges himself on food every day and then finds himself with heart disease? That person is also contributing to the rising health care costs. People who are smoking while they drive donot kill people like a person who drives while he's had drugs or alcohol. That's who I resent. I worked in an office for 15+ years with heavy smokers. I am here and thank God healthy. Did I like that smoke, no, but I also respected my co-workers right to smoke.

A few days ago at my son's part time job a gentleman came in and bought some cigarettes. He wanted to stay in the shop awhile and smoke because it was cold out. He went outside the store and lit up his cigarette. My son said he went outside and invited the man back in and told him he was welcome to smoke in the store. My son said the man's face lit up and he said, "really?, cause no one lets me smoke anywhere inside, thanks." My son said hearing that made him feel bad for the guy.

My point is this, I've been around hundreds of smokers and none of it has hurt me. The hostile reactions of non-smokers is more hurtful to smokers than their smoke is to the public.

[ November 22, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 05:44 AM

Today I buried my best friend

Today when I woke up I felt very sad
for what I was planning to do
I lost my best friend, just two days before
The funeral would take place at noon

All dressed up in black, with a veil on my face
I gave her a bittersweet kiss
I knew that I'd never see her anymore
And whispered “Goodby” from my lips

I'd known her forever, she was my company
when no one else could have cared less
She got me through troubles and heartache and tears
through bliss, joy and pure happiness

She'd been my companion for thirty five years
and Never! Not once, let me down
How could I let go? Without her I'll die
I wept, as I looked towards the ground

I thought, as I left there, What will I do now?
I've no one to keep me content
Who'll help me make all my decisions
when I need advise or consent?

Where will I turn when my world falls apart
or when I hear news that is good
Who's gonna cheer me, when things have turned bad
And what about sharing my food

How can I have coffee without her?
Oh,what about feeling alone?
And if I get nervous, who'll be there for me?
Now...who's gonna help me postpone!

Tomorrow I'll wake and I'll miss her so such
But I will just have to make do
I will trudge on, and forget about her
My cigarette... I bid you
adieu.

chick

Norma, your post reminded me of a poem I wrote a few years ago. I don't have it anymore but remembered enough about it to rewrite this one.I know just what you mean!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 06:19 AM

The most outragious one yet regarding smoking is when you enter a nice restaurant and they ask:

SMOKING OR NON SMOKING?

Now tell me if you can how the smoke knows where to stop in one large diningroom. DAH!!!Does it say to itself, nope can't go past that table oh noooo, might get in trouble. REALLY [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

Chickadee super poem. [Big Grin]

[ November 21, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 07:24 PM

Goodmorning ladies who are trying to quit smoking! How are you this morning? How are your convictions holding up today?

So please begin and tell me about what you've accomplished today on cutting back. Were the cravings there and how did you deal with them?

If you need my personal e-mail to talk just PM me and I'll give it to you. I'd like you to know that you can contact me and I'll respond.

Good luck today, it's a new day to start fresh!

[ November 22, 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 08:43 AM

In AZ, cowboy country, and especially in the small town where I grew up that has the famous Historic Wiskey Row, there is no smoking allowed. It hurt the old bar's business.

In TN, we aren't there yet. Most restaurants still have smoking sections, even if only at the bar.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 09:42 PM

Since smokers do comprise a big section of the dining-out public, it would behoove restaurant owners to provide a more effective way of dealing with this issue.

How would a special room for smokers only do?

What do you think, would it work?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 10:00 PM

and good morning to you Bug, have a super day,
your reaching out is really appreciated,. For me today's part of the serenity prayer will be...
'and change the things i can' . Thanks Bug.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 10:15 PM

I am SO GLAD to see you posted here right now.

I am here for you and all others who need hope and inspiration to quit smoking.

Together we can!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 10:46 PM

Oddly enough, when MOH (my other half)and I go out to eat, we always chose the No smoking section. We don't smoke until we leave.
I have decided to quit "cold turkey" on Thanksgiving Day...ha ha. I am ready!
I would like to say that having this open discussion on smoking, smokers, non-smoking, non-smokers, pros/cons etc has reminded me to keep trying to reach my goal.
I see it every time I come on here and the support from smokers and reformed smokers has made a difference. I am appreciative of the fact that a non-smoker took the time to keep it going.

Friends healing and helping friends...now isn't that what it's really all about?

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/22/05 11:19 PM

I agree chick,
This forum is a constant remeinder of my goal.
Good luck on the Cold Turkey thing. I know that is really the only way it will work.
I can't do it on Thanksgiving though maybe during the week after. I'll let you know.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 12:55 AM

Chick, at some future date, may you look back on this Thanksgiving as a time when you did something for which you are most thankful.

I'll support you in prayer.
smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 01:55 AM

Thanks for all of you giving each other support. It's so good to see that.

I just want to say too that I hope no one is offended when I say please, no negative comments.

Please let me explain: As I'm sure most of you have seen the free-for-all rudeness that has occured in Current Events over the Hillary issue.

Since we're trying to help people here and they already know the negative aspects of smoking I could see no purpose for negative comments. I didn't want this issue turning into something like that.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

TVC15, I think you'll quit when you're ready and now isn't the right time. Only you can decide, so good luck to you when you do.

Thanks for seeing what I'm trying to do here Chickadee.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 02:52 AM

Hi bug..hello chick, tv, Some people are or have been smokers, but i am addicted to this drug 'nicotine'. Like benzedine, caffine, morphine, notice the spelling at the end?
I am a drug addict. My drug is nicotine. That might not be the case with others here, so i wish i could go to meetings, open or closed meetings with others who are nicotine addicts.

Bug, did you know that one of the co founders of AA had no problem with alcohal ? Your initiating this topic and hanging in here, reminds me of his dedication which saved so many lives. Prior to his death, he was only known as Dr,Bob, just like we only know you, as 'Bug' the one who never smoked but here to help.

if any of you ever decide to meet for closed meetings somewhere in this cyperspace, let me know okay. I know not all AA meetings are open, and there very real reasons for that... anyway, just wanting to touch base this afternoon.. thinking of you all.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 03:20 AM

Norma, I was thinking just today, Why isn't there a place to go for smokers to gather and talk, like AA. I would like to go to a place and denick for at least 3 days. A nice place with healthy food and drink. A place with a peaceful view and fresh air smell. Yes, I share your addiction, Norma, a very strong addiction, that most (if any) non-smoker couldn't begin to realize.
Some may jest about things like this but I say, walk in my shoes and then judge me.
Maybe we need to start a place like this. Wouldn't it be nice. Bug?

While I'm dreaming here, I think it needs a room called the quick draw? room? with all the nasties i.e. black lung, cancer etc and info and stats about tobacco.

chick

[ November 22, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 05:59 AM

Personally I have seen NO free for all rudeness just us agreeing to disagree...By the way all comments were allowed here the last time I checked and not dictated by anyone. Free speech is a wonderful thing....To answer your question, maybe a separate dining area would be good for smokers but seems a bit selective to me, next they'll be separating out the folks that drink or don't eat meat or are too fat, see what I mean? Most restaurants have good ventilation and if not should get it, that ought to control the problem sufficiently. Good luck to all those trying to break a very hard habit to break. [Wink]

[ November 22, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 06:08 AM

Good evening Norma and Chickadee, I didn't know the founder of AA was not an alcoholic himself. I think you've got a tremendous idea in a health resort for smokers! Are you serious that there is no such place???

My addiction is caffeine. I tried to quit. It lasted for three days. The painful headaches made me dangerous to be around and no amount of aspirin helped. I went back to my daily fix. I don't drink as much but you should see me salivate when the Gevalia ads come in the mail with all the new flavors. I probably spend more time in the coffee section studying the new flavors than I do in shopping for anything else. You know, I just realized that now as I was typing it! I don't appreciate people telling me to give up my coffee. Okay, okay, I know, maybe it's not the same as needing a cigarette but it's still a physical need right? It's my habit, my addiction.

I wish there was a place for smokers to go just as there is for people with a drug or alcohol problem. People with dietary concerns have health spas so why hasn't someone thought of this?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 06:17 AM

I've heard the term 'smoking clinic' but am not sure what it entails. I'm going to do some checking however to see if there is something for smokers....this has been a problem for so long you would think someone would have done something by now....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 10:16 AM

I would guess that there may be something like that, but it might be expensive. I don't think smoking is considered a disease so such facilities would not be eligible for insurance reimbursement.

It sure sounds like a good thing. Maybe you should start one especially for boomer women
smile
Posted by: flipperjo

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 11:26 AM

i hold nothing personal against those who choose to smoke. a smoker is different from the over eater tho, in one important way - my cinnamon roll will not end up on your hips but your cig smoke can end up in my lungs.

my MIL is has been a heavy smoker for years. now she has copd emphazema. she denies she is sick, and would rather wheez and fight for air than use the nebulizer and oxygen. her voice is raspy and she looks like he!! she has lost a brother and a sister to lung cancer caused by smoking.

what really galls me is that both of my boys smoke as do most of their friends. we did our best to convey the dangers of smoking to them as teens but you would think they never heard us or saw grandma smoke and get sick while her siblings died from it. i don't understand.

i tell them that i worked at having healthy pregnancies with them, spending 9 months of pregnancy on each of them - and i HATED being pregnant so 9 months crept by very slowly each time. anyway, they each were issued one set of healthy, pink lungs and they will really pi__ me off if they go and get sick. this is a rare area where i think a little monther lode guilt is in order - even if it doesn't work?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 11:57 AM

Smile, ChattyI wonder if such a facility would work? I would pay to spend 3 days (weekend perhaps)somewhere and come out with a head start. I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred for that. I'd save that much in cigarette in a few months. Maybe I need to research this and see if I can start something...and franchaise(bigger plan)
Funny enough, Flipperjo, none of my children smoke. My Mother and Father died from smoking related diseases so I really want to quit.
Only a short time from now, Thanksgiving Day, I will be smokefree...I dread it but it has to be done. It's now or never. Oh how I am going to need your prayers and support then!
I appreciate all the discussion on this. Flipperjo, I hope you can convince your boys to quit.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 05:14 PM

flipperjo, just keep talking to your boys about it.

My son works at a store that sells tobacco, lottery tickets and booze as it's main products.

The other day he decided to try some cherry flavored snuff. He was between classes on his college campus and had a two and a half hour wait for the next one.

He put a small pinch of snuff between his cheek and gum, nothing, spit it out tried another small pinch, nothing. He said it tasted salty and like cherry cough syrup. It also burned his mouth and throat. He tried a bigger pinch and that's when it really hit hard! He became dizzy, got the shakes and nearly passed out. His teacher in his first class came up to him and asked him if he was okay. He was sure other people thought he was stoned! He threw out the brand new can of snuff in the nearest waste basket he could find. He's well aware of how dangerous it is but wanted to see why all these people around him love it.

A "roll" of it (10 cans) cost $40.00. He's amazed that guys can go through 10 cans in a week.

Just keep talking to your boys about it.

[ November 23, 2005, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]
Posted by: Danita

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 06:34 PM

Has anyone here tried the patches? My daughter used the patches to get off ciggs...she is 32 days smoke free and proud.

When I was younger and quit - I did the cold turkey routine...ughhhh! I wish I had the patches back then!

D.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 07:06 PM

My dauther used the gum and it worked but she's now addicted to the gum.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 07:11 PM

I've heard of that happening before Dianne. The guy I spoke to said his doctor said he was better off chewing the gum than smoking.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/24/05 08:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flipperjo:
...a smoker is different from the over eater tho, in one important way - my cinnamon roll will not end up on your hips but your cig smoke can end up in my lungs.

That's my point Flipperjo. I sympathize with smokers. I'm sorry they are addicted, but unlike other addicts, their drug affects not only their health, but mine and I am concerned about that. At one time smoke did not affect me as adversely as it now does. I've heard that they have changed cigarettes so they now have hundreds of addictive and dangerous substances. Anyone know anything about that?

Flipper, Your MIL sounds like many COPD patients. Almost all cough, can hardly breathe, have no energy, and yet deny that smoking is their problem. I have seen them smoke through the tracheotomies performed to save their lives (usually from a smoking related disease). Others who can barely breathe insist their oxygen be turned off so they can smoke. Or worse yet, they endanger everyone by smoking with their oxygen ON.
I've also seen a lot of smokers who smoke while using the patch. That can be quite dangerous because it can precipitate a heart attack. Lung cancer is only one of many diseases brought on by smoking.

I wish all that was not true, but it is and to deny it is not helpful to a smoker or anyone else. Smoking makes you smell bad, gives you wrinkles, yellows your teeth and endangers not only the smoker, but those nearby. Anyone who smokes should do everything they can to stop.

Nobody is treating smokers like a 'lepers' or saying them like "nasty" people. But facts are facts.
And Chick, you're doing a wonderful thing not only for yourself, but for your friends, family, and fellow boomers who will all be thankful to have you around for a lot longer.
I'll be saying a prayer for your success. And we'll be here for you if we can help.
smile

[ November 23, 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/24/05 08:57 AM

I used the patch along with the book I mentioned. It works but don't wear it to bed at night. It gives you horrible nightmares. And, you shouldn't smoke for two hours after removing it. Can bring on a heart attack.

There is nothing good about smoking. It will hit every single part of your body. What we believe it does for us isn't really true. My husband smokes and has for many years and I worry about him all the time.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/23/05 09:49 PM

Smilinize, everything you have said about smoking is VERY true.

My only point was and is this: these ladies ALL know these facts to be true, now we are trying to help them to stop.

Thank you all for your kind comments because that's all we really need here, not denial because that won't help.

Put down that cigarette tomorrow if you feel yourself taking one out to light it up.

You ALL can beat this habit, it can be done but each of you has to set realistic goals, there will be no denial only realism. It's up to each of you to decide how you can best achieve the goal of quitting. Some of you will find it harder to do than others but so it is with any addiction. If you think you can't you won't. If you think you can, you will!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/25/05 06:32 PM

Good morning to the Smoking Section:

How did your resolutions go for those of you starting your quest to quit smoking on Thanksgiving? Were you able to resist it? If not, today is another day.

[ November 25, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/25/05 11:34 PM

I didn't take a puff. I resisted all day and made it through.I must be ready, because I didn't touch it today either. I hope everyone else had some success in cutting back or quitting.

I am glad I have a place to talk about smoking.It has helped me tremendously. Thanks everyone.I need your support and I have a feeling your prayers are what's helping me the most. Please continue them for a little while longer.

I am a 30 + year smoker of a pack a day. Special occassions or high stress times I smoke more. If I occassionally took a drink (beer, wine) I could smoke a pack an evening.

Norma and TVC, I hope you'll get to join me soon when your time is right.I am smoke free...one day at a time.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] chick [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/25/05 11:36 PM

Chickadee, I smiled reading your post! I am so happy you haven't touched any cigarettes.

You know you can do it!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/26/05 03:00 AM

EXCELLENT CHICK A DEE !!!!!!!!! That is super !!
hey, i found a site on web you might want to look up, it's ..... click2quit......... so much support there as well....... your clean Chick..
clean....clean ... clean..... you can stand in any line up now...... (and that is my goal) ..... good on you chick.....!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/26/05 04:25 AM

Found a place here in Vegas where you go in one time and they use lazer therapy somewhere on the hand a pressure point I think and thats it, thats all you never have even the urge to smoke again. I bet if they have that here they have it elsewhere too. Hooray for Chickadee, yo are on your way lady....so proud of you. [Big Grin]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 08:40 AM

Thank you all. Norma, I can't wait until you and TVC join me. Soon I hope.

Day 2 - no real cravings and no cigarettes. Someone mentioned that the cravings are there if you are not ready to give up. Well, these are the words that changed everything for me. I believed it and haven't had any unbearable craving. I basically feel like someting is 'missing' so I immediately do something/anything to overcome that feeling.
I mentioned that I don't want to gain weight. Well, quitting on Turkey Day didn't help there, but I think I will do it. I like healthy foods and I will use grapes when I want food over and above Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
I am still looking into a place to quit like Chatty mentioned. Not for me but for me to own.
Day three is not far away...yoo hoo!
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/26/05 11:35 PM

Way to go Chick!!!!!!
I unfortunately am not there yet.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 12:09 AM

When you're ready TVC and not before. Don't give up on trying for a day...one day, any day, some day soon. You are 'talking' about quitting and that's as close as it gets to making that first step. Many just say I'm never quitting, so your a step ahead of them. Norma, How are you doing?
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 12:53 AM

Chick,
Are you eatting more than usual?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 03:08 AM

good afternoon TV, Chickadee, and Bug......
well last night i finished the last one of the carton about 10pm. i am afraid of trying anything sweet at the moment. .. in case it sets off some kind of chain reaction........ But i am starting to break..... i am going into the doughnuts..........

[ November 27, 2005, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 04:17 AM

Normaaaaa!!!!!Put that donut down!

Chickadee, the grapes are a good idea.

You ladies really make me smile and I like how you are all supporting one another.

Just remember you are fighting a powerful addiction to nicotine. You're not weak but your body has a strong liking to this substance.

One day at a time.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 12:37 PM

hello again chick, tv, bug,........ am still on the straight and narrow here.. (at the moment you could compare it to soup with out salt, not a major problem, just doesn't taste like soup). Our oldest grandson, is 22, he's broken his leg during a soccer game today, cant have the cast put on until swelling goes down, now his brother who is 21 had both his knees operated on this year, which laid him up for weeks and weeks, so... i am using them for role models at the moment..(i mean their patience, particularly the patience of the one who had his knees done)

[ November 27, 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 12:52 PM

chick and tv.... i hope all will be okay for you. Bug, it is so good having you here to keep the hope possible. I dont want to think about 'making it' or not making it , for i have often made it to this point before, and then fell way over the bridge, i have to take this moment by moment. Thanks for every word of encouragement.
have a gentle day tomorrow.

[ November 27, 2005, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 07:49 PM

Norma, hopefully this WILL be a gentle day. Wow, sorry to hear about the grandsons. Youth are so resilient so I have no doubt they can "weather" these occurences as minor annoyances.

Nothing as difficult as breaking a habit isn't without its own set of problems.

Look at dieters: some folks around them will buy food that is tempting knowing how it affects the dieter. People at parties put that extra helping on their plate or make them feel guilty for not eating it. The worst thing a dieter who has successfully lost weight hears is this: you look sooo thin are you okay? It's like they are saying they think you look bad and it's insulting. As a vegetarian people think I am from Mars. I ate every type of food I had at the Thanksgiving table except the turkey. I am constantly goaded by well-meaning relatives that I need to put on more weight even though I feel great.

That's something else some of us have to deal with when we drop an addiction that others don't see as "that harmful," saboteurs. Hope you don't have any. Take each day as it comes to you and handle it as best as you can. Hopefully you are surrounded by loving people who want to see you successfully quit smoking.

We love you here and want to see you quit.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/27/05 11:45 PM

25 minutes ago i am rooting through every dresser drawer looking for some underwear... now i do the laundry every other day.....where's the rest of my underwear???? I think someone's been stealing it...But... What do i do find ??????...at the back of the center drawer, with my dad's last t shirt, his last pills, mom's last nightgown, their old cheque books etc., ... but a plastic grocery bag, inside of it the outside paper wrappings of a cigerette carton...... and a full package of cigerettes...... ohhh.......am not sure what to do...well by the time you read this it will be done.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 01:01 AM

Norma, they say temptation will pop up right in front of you and it has happened to you today. If you smoked, so be it...it means you're not ready to quit yet, maybe? Perhaps this temptation is the last one you'll get.
My other half smokes and I told him, smoke away, it won't bother me.
I cannot express enough, what was a turning point for me - someone here said if you crave a cigarette after you quit it means you're not ready to quit. I have no cravings for a cig or food either. It could be a mind over matter thing. I don't mind so it don't matter, ha ha.
Norma, tomorrow's another day(if you did smoke). Let us know.
TVC, Are you gearing up to quit. Have you planned a quit day?
Ladybug, I want to thank you again for believing in me and helping me change my life one step for the better.
Will I smoke again? I don't think so. I have come to far to turn back. As the cig commercials used to say,"You've come a long way baby" only it's on the flipside.
Any other smokers out there who want to quit. Join us and try.
Love to all my supporters.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] smoke free chick [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 01:52 AM

Norma, did I get to you in time or was the temptation too strong? I hope your will power won out. Let me know.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 02:28 AM

Chickadee, the compliments are going to my head!

I'm just so happy that this has helped you. You seem to have strong will power and a good attitude.

Understanding your limitations helps too. You didn't become addicted to cigarettes overnight so surely you can't be expected to conquer and over come the addiction overnight either.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 03:37 AM

i am down the tube Bug..... but .... when these are finished, i will try again.... now i cant find the outdoor christmas lights... For the past few years i've been trying to get rid of 'stuff'.... i wonder...... Do you people find you have accumulated too much 'stuff'?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 04:05 AM

stuff? stuff is my middle name. Actually my EBAY name is bunchastuff. I qualify right! I have been getting my place in shape and getting rid of more stuff since I quit smoking. Unbelievable energy! Norma, you just might be ready next time. Maybe this 'finding' is what you needed to get to your finally quitting stage. I am with you all the way!]
Ladybug, for some reason (like the one I stated earlier) I am not craving cigs or food. I am so blessed this time. I guess it was my right time to quit. Thank God, I am blessed.

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 04:34 AM

I am methodically trying to unclutter my life, so much stuff has yet to go...

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 04:42 AM

Chatty did you sell your jewelry piece yet?
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 09:17 PM

Still smoke free, but I get that smoke smell from my clothes now. I am going to wash ALL my clothes. I have sprayed my rooms, because I get that smoke smell when I enter one. No cravings,no overeating,No idea why only,"I was ready?" I am drinking lots of water and occasionally a piece of gum.
Norma, I believe you started this when you asked about smokers, how did you quit?...and Ladybug posted a "support system". I swear, I couldn't have done it alone. I need to be able to come here every day and post my successes/failures. I need to come here and support my fellow smokers. Are you doing alright today Norma? TVC? Please let us know.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 10:18 PM

Chickadee, you're amazing! What determination!
Yes, you were certainly ready.

Norma, don't feel bad, I am also of Chickadee's opinion that you're not quite ready. You'll know when both your mind and body are in perfect "sync" to do it.

No guilt okay?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/28/05 10:19 PM

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Chick!!!!!

10 gold stars for you!

It is soo interesting when former smokers start to realize how they, their clothes, their house, or their cars smelt!

Woooooo hoooooooooo! you go girls!

d.
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/29/05 04:21 AM

Congrats Chickadee!!!!!!
It's been 23 years since I gave it up.
Keep on truckin' girl!!!!!!!!
Lynne

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/29/05 09:02 AM

Thanks all for your encouraging words.. I am so happy to report that I can add another day. I'll take those stars, one for each day. After 10 days I won't be posting about me anymore, I'll be here supporting those who need it.
23 years, Oh how I wish I could say that! But I will be able to say it 23 yrs from now. [Wink]
I am sending out prayers to two special ladies who need them. Remember, we are here for you, no matter what.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/29/05 09:30 AM

Chick,
You're da' BOMB!!!

In 21 to 28 days you'll be habit free. The fact that you're already noticing the smells is a great sign.

Good for you. I'm IMPRESSED!!!
smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/29/05 12:34 PM

hello Chickadee....gentle little bird with tufts of soft brown and white, now you are safe under strong branches and that is how it is suppose to be.

Although our youngest granddaughter is now a teenager, her and i still have a secret world of our own where she becomes 'Toad' and i become "Old Badger", we have spent countless hours enjoying foolishness and thought, we have written new rules for the world, and new descriptions of what is real and not real. I will have to tell Toad, that Old Badger has met a very special Ladybug and Chickadee on his travels
(strange how i became male in this unique world of ours).

There is ice and grey clouds here now, winter has come it is time for this old badger to go into hibernation for a few days... giant hugs to each of you..you are sweethearts.

[ November 29, 2005, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/29/05 06:17 PM

Norma, what a pleasant way to start my day with the beautiful words you have written.

Isn't life great when you think of that special bond you are so fortunate to have with your grand-daughter? She must love you a lot! It's easy to see why.

Chickadee, I myself, am just bursting with happiness that you have "grabbed the bull by the horns" on this smoking issue. This is like a Christmas present to me to even think I had a very small part in helping you get there. The real credit goes to you because all the cajolling in the world by everyone else really can't do it. It's got to be you.

Let's all keep posting and encouraging our sisters to stay on the path to health and success.

Let's also give our sisters a pat on the back even if they give into the temptation, remembering that for them tomorrow is another day.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/30/05 11:40 AM

Thanks Smile for your kind post. I am getting closer to 21 - 28 days. I can't wait. I am washing loads of clothes every day to get rid of the smell. I am so active without "da baccy", that I do a lot of cooking. I have no food craving and I am eating less...I'll never understand that one.
Norma...your kind words...Thank you. Old Badger is a wise one. Toad is a lucky girl to have you as her grandma. Giant hug to you and prayers for strength to reach your goal.
Ladybug, I wanted to quit smoking...I could not have done alone. Each post I read led me one step closer to getting there. I wasn't really as ready as I thought. The comments from smokers and nonsmokers alike gave me encouragement and it continued with you keeping the topic going on a day to day basis. That's what made me ready. Wise words...I soaked it all in and Voila! Another day smoke free plus my 2 dreaded things (craving cigs and craving food)have not become a problem.I'm not one bit irritable or cranky. ((Wonder if it's the new medication.)) Believe me, it can't get any better than that. I wouldn't smoke another cigarette now, to save my life. It's almost a week now, but who's counting [Wink]
Nope, I couldn't have done it without all of you. Thank you over and over.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 11/30/05 07:28 PM

Chickadee, just read your newest post this morning. I can't tell you how pleased I am with your progress!

You've conquered the major hurdles, just keep going and don't look back!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/01/05 06:17 PM

Good morning Smoking Section, how goes your progress today?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 02:24 AM

I'm not a smoker but here I am anyway...na,na na,na,na naaaa! I am an over eater though, does suffering from munching mania count?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 02:30 AM

Chatty, munching mania is definetely an addiction, so you are welcome to the group.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 03:25 AM

Chickadee read your post and how fantastic for you. Keep up the good healthly work of being smoke free....that is quite an accomplishment for all you ladies. I was just kidding Ladybug, won't intrude on this helpful and informative topic, theres already one for dieters.

[ December 01, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 03:56 AM

Chick, so proud of you! Don't you love to smell like perfume instead of smoke? I did.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 05:59 AM

Chatty, you better stick around! I need all the support I can get. Dianne, I am so glad to be wearing perfume for the fragrance and not as a cover up.
Ladybug and all...It is A WEEK AGO TODAY that I quit. After 30 plus years...I am smokefree!!!! My other half is following suit. He had 3 cigs all day, only 1 here and he smoked it outside - his choice. He has his cutoff date for the new year. That is great news! I never even asked him to. I don't mention cigs, smoking etc.I guess he's learning by example.
I also remember the great women here such as JJ and Dianne and think, if they can do it, why can't I.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 06:30 AM

Chick.......you should be so very proud of yourself! It's extra hard to quit when someone else in the house is smoking. Such great news.
Congrats kiddo!!!!!!
Lynne

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 06:37 AM

Gosh Chickadee it doesn't seem like a whole week already. You say your husband has quit too, that's great!
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 07:33 AM

Excellent, chick! Very proud of you!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 10:59 AM

Lynne, your post about the 23 years also gave me hope, that I could do it. Funny enough, He could blow it in my face and it wouldn't bother me. I prefer not to see the box so he keeps it hidden.
Ladybug, he's not quitting until the new year. It is what works for him. I hope he quits and has it as easy as I have.
Bluebird, Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I talked to God on Thanksgiving morning and asked him to help me.
I never imagined I'd get this far. Having this place to come to..well...It worked for me. I hope it will work for all who need it.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 08:46 AM

Chickadee you are SPECTACULAR!!!

You have probably added years to your life. Not only that, you have avoided years of wrinkles. (Important stuff for us girls)

We are so proud of you.
smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 09:12 PM

I'm so proud of you Chick.
Not so proud of me but I have faith, my time will come!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/02/05 10:11 PM

For anyone who really wants to, yes, your time will come.

Chickadee when hubby sees the positive effects that quitting smoking produce he'll be ready to start the new year smoke free.

Good luck to all who are quitting and trying to quit. When temptation stirs in you just say a prayer.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 12:43 AM

Smile, I have added a lot of stuff to my life. I have my energy back, tenfold. I love cooking again and I can breathe deeply. The less wrinkles ARE an added bonus. Thank you for your continued support.
TVC, it took me a long time to get to the place I am today. Years of 'thinking about it'. Years of quitting in the morning, only to light up before noon. Years of not wanting to let go of 'my lil fwend'. My time came and if you're even thinking about it, yours will to...but ONLY when you are ready. I can say this now. I was there and now I'm here. When you are ready, put in a prayer request right here, and we will pray for you to quit. Even if it takes a hundred or more trys.
ladybug, MOH is helping himself by being respectful and sensitive to me quitting and in turn doind himself a favour.
Norma, girlfriend...where are you? We miss you. Whether you quit or not doesn't matter...I miss you [Frown]
I am looking forward to Christmas eve... It will be my i month anniversary of smoke free. I am going to celebrate with...What else?...A box of chocolates...Ha ha.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 03:17 AM

You know Smile is right (as always) not smoking has probably been the most important factor in my skin looking like a 30 year olds. Not a wrinkle to be found. Other girls even younger than I that I went to school with smoke like chimneys and have the skin to prove it, bags, sags, deep crevices especially around the mouth and a sallow color... Heres an experiment for you smokers. Stand before a mirror and put a fag in your face and suck it in as if inhaling and watch what happens around the mouth area. Those not smoking use a pen or pencil...boggles the mind doesn't it. Now imagine doing that for years...at some point the face will stay creviced...Still want my input Chickadee? [Wink]

[ December 02, 2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 06:34 AM

I'm just so glad for your Chickadee. Every day I come here just to read your posts and others who are trying to quit or are almost there.

I miss Norma too, so I hope she's just busy today and will join us again.

I love you ladies. I wish I could be there in person to give you a hug.
(((((hugs))))))

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 09:18 AM

hello.... good to hear you are still free, free, free Chick !!! They say that smoking adds ten years to the aging effect, that makes me now 70, omg....... Ladybug, this 70 year old, (oh .. it is also said women mature faster then men, that puts me close to what .... nearing 80 ? omg..... )
this old old woman is shuffling along here, glad to see this topic is still thriving. TV.... do you want to be 80 so quickly ? No siree.... hope you will soon be free like Chick... have a good day tomorrow each of you.....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 09:26 AM

norma, so glad to see you posted. You're not 70 or 80!

My mother's cousin was a smoker and could do a fair amount of drinking. You would not believe how beautiful this woman looked well into her 70's. She sent a picture of herself in a Victoria's Secret bustier. That young, good skin runs in the family. You'd think this woman would've ruined hers with the habits she had but she didn't. Everyone is different.

Again, I'm not advocating smoking just saying it doesn't always ruin a person's skin.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 06:42 PM

Yes Chatty, I still need you. Facts and all. I am more worried about the inside effects more than wrinkles. That was a long time smoking for me. I just hope I can get away with it by quitting. No guarantees only that I won't be 'puffing and blowing' again!

Bug, (that's my nickname for my daughter, short for Twitterbug) If I send a photo of me in a bustier, I really would be Victoria's "Secret"! Baahhh haaa haaa.

Norma, glad to see you posted. And you know...we are only as old as we feel. Uh huh, that's what they say.

Last night I celebrated with a candy bar, TGIF mozza sticks, A rice Krispie square and 1/2 brownie all washed down with, you guessed it...Diet Pepsi. My next treat is Christmas Eve. No wine for me this year, it may trigger me.

TVC, come and say hi.

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 06:47 PM

Congrats to all of you working on quitting! What a huge thing!

woooo hoooooo!

hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

Danita

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 07:21 PM

Keep going Chickadee!

How about drinking sparkling grapejuice instead of wine? It almost tastes like the alcohlic version but without the alcohol.

Have a toast because you deserve it. How about getting a cake specially made with a picture of a cigarette in a circle with the diagonal line slash through it?

Make it a celebration at the one month marker.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/03/05 10:50 PM

Ladies, please check out today's Dear Abby column it talks about smoking and quitting cold trurkey.

What do you think about the lady smoker?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/04/05 07:13 AM

It is a well published medical fact that quiting smoking at any age can remedy years of the abuse of smoking....apparently it is never too late.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/04/05 08:48 AM

Hi Chick!
Do you you drink coffee? I know that would be a trigger for me. In fact it has tripped me up many times already when I thought I would try to quit.
Wine would be also.
I'm really proud of you, you are doing so great!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/04/05 06:16 PM

Thank you Danita for your encouraging words and generous hugs.We can use em here.

Ladybug, it is grapejuice for sure. Maybe a cupcake, but no cake because I will eat it all. [Eek!]

Chatty, all your tidbits are really helping. Keep em coming for the me and the girls. The good, bad and the ugly...Give it to us.

TVC, thank you. Remember our Resolutions last year? Well it ONLY took me 11 months to get it right, ha ha. [Roll Eyes] Yes I am a coffee drinker - morning only. It triggered me every day right up until my Thanksgiving quit date. I still have it every morning. I had quit smoking in my car, remember. Then I stopped smoking while on the computer, which is where I have my morning coffee(and lunch, some days) [Embarrassed] .I know we can all relate to that one. I dis-associated my computer and smoking enough to not crave it when I quit cold turkey.
TVC, I have an answer to why it was so easy for this diehard smoker, who loved a cigarette more than anything in the world, to quit.
I cut back, a little at a time, most of the time.
By the time I came here, I had the process in motion for about a few weeks. When Norma asked a Question about how others Quit, and this topic came on board by Ladybug (did I say Thank You) for us, everyday I posted my setbacks and successes and didn't feel ashamed to say I screwed up. It was my tool to use. And I used it! I got some great words of wisdom, advice, why I shoulds, what it's doing to me and all the while it was support. I really need to go back and find out who said, "If you crave after you quit, it is because you are not really ready to quit. Somehow, those words among others, made me think, "I am ready, so I shouldn't crave right? Absolutely right! I haven't had any bad cravings at all. No lingering ones, anyway. Loss of the habit of having something in my hand? I just did something, anything...I got this house in half decent shape in less than a week. That meant everything and anything from dusting the dust bunnies to spraying and glistening the spidey webs. [Wink] Hey, I'm nature friendly...Today when I get off here, I am going to tackle and freshen 2 spare bedrooms.
TVC, You and Norma need to come here EVERY day, report your goods and not so goods.I f it takes a year, come here and post. This is for you and Norma and any who are smoking, reading and not posting.. So far it's one down and two to go, that we know of.
I am out of the woods. I am no longer a smoker, I am part of your support system because I've been there and...I know how extremely difficult it is to FINALLY Quit.
Set your quit date to any day at all. Today, your birthday, Easter...any time. It helps to have one.
I prayed, as hard as I knew how that Thanksgiving morning, to My God and asked him to help me if I help myself, to be there during my weak times and lead me not into temptation. He heard my prayer and is guiding me all the way.
Norma and TVC, I am here for you, PM me...do whatever it takes. Even if your not ready yet?...Post it here anyway. Sending prayers your way.
The big question for me is, "Will I smoke again?" I really don't think so. I am where I want to be...smokefree.(Never say never they say)

chick

I forgot to add...I went to the Salvation Army yesterday to visit my former manager and co-workers. They all smoke and I went outside with them and it didn't bother me...at all!

[ December 04, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/04/05 06:25 PM

Thank you Chick,
You are my inspiration!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/04/05 07:16 PM

Chickadee, so there was the test. They were smoking and you could be among them and it didn't bother you. I truly am convinced you have quit and are on the road to healing all the damage years of smoking can do.

Actually I started the question about Quitting Smoking, Tell us How? The other person who said you'll quit only when you are ready was JawJaw. She got the words of wisdom from her father who said them to her.

It doesn't really matter who said what, it's that whoever said these words gave you the incentive to finally quit. Keeping yourself busy around the house surely helps. With your new job that should also help take your mind off of smoking.

We will continue to be here and keep this "shop open for 24 hours seven days a week" to be your one stop shopping for encouragement to quit. [Wink]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/05/05 09:43 PM

knock, knock...Is the shop open? My first real cravings came this morning and won't leave. Out of no where for no reason! Yikes, I am going to go finish those bedrooms now. I need prayers for strength. I will not smoke, I assure you. I just have to get through today. The devil won't make me do it. I will not give in to the enemy that wants to capture and own me. See you back here tonight.
(sigh)
Gee, I feel the craving getting lighter already. Thank God for the shop!
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/05/05 09:46 PM

TVC...Norma... I need a quit buddy, Bawlllllllll.
sniff, little cough. [Frown]
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/05/05 09:50 PM

Chickadee, I checked in here at 7:30 a.m. and saw no "customers." I thought I'd wait and come back to see if anyone had posted so here I am!

Now you know you can get through those cravings girl! When you get those bedrooms finished go outside for a walk. Did you also join the NABBW? I did this morning.

Have you got some carrots or celery to chew on? Every time you get a craving eat one. It'll take the edge off and I'm wagering a pound or two, if it's needed.

I'm going to be "behind the counter waiting for you to come in today."

You've come too far to let those cravings get the best of you! I know you won't let 'em!

[ December 05, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 12:18 AM

Chickadee,
I'll say a prayer for you today.

Maybe quitting smoking is like fasting. You can only do it if you dwell in your spirit. At first you're not hungry at all then a few days into the fast you become ravenous, not hungry, but you have an almost overwhelming desire for food.
But if you can get past that time, you're fine for about three weeks (forty days) until your body begins to digest its own protein and you NEED to eat then your appetite is not so overwhelming, but you are truly hungry.

I don't think the last part would happen with cigarettes, but I bet if you can get past today and maybe a couple of days you'll be fine. At the hospital we told people to expect the craving to return about now and again in about a month or so then maybe in a few months. But the cravings only last for a short time and if you can get past them, you'll be fine.

Praying for you today.
smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 12:42 AM

Oh boy, today is a close one. Thank You from my heart for being here Ladybug and Smile. I am fighting the demon with a passion and I am winning. With your prayers and words and my determination. I have one heck of a headache, tho. I am going to say it's my body releasing its fight and fury to rid itself of the years of poisons inside. I AM NOT GOING back there...I am not going back there...I am NOT!
Sneaky dang demon. [Mad]
Back to the bedrooms.
chick [Frown]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 02:02 AM

Oh Chickadee, you make me both smile and laugh.

I read your Christmas poem and couldn't believe you wrote that yourself. You should've been a commedian! Me thinks you are wasting talent.

I thought I heard JawJaw groan earlier when I suggested that you chomp down on some carrots or celery. In good conscience, I couldn't advise you to pull out the oreos, especially not with all the Christmas cookies I suspect are already hidden under couch pillows and such.

Beat those demons, they are the ghosts of cigarettes past.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 04:32 AM

I bet you get the headache from the blood vessels in your brain returning to normal from the constriction of the nicotine.

It might hurt now, but long run "It's a good thing."

Smile (a.k.a. Martha Stewart)

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 05:02 AM

Oh Chick,
I'm sorry. I'm still weak! I agree with smile though I think if you make it through this day you will be okay again for a while. I've quit 3 times in my life and that is how the pattern seems to go.
Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 09:52 AM

I made it! [Big Grin]
Ladybug, I didn't overeat but I did overwork. They say hard work never killed anybody. Thank you for your comments on my poem.
Smile, Martha can't hold a candle to you. I think the headache came because of that time of the month, also.
TVC, when you're ready join me. You can do it too.
I think I'll be OK from here on.
Thanks for holding me in prayer and encouraging words

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 11:08 AM

Oh Chick....it is a sneak...... it does sneak up 'out of nowhere' just as you said...... that is the way of addiction...... you are taking your life back Chick..... you have a right to your life..... Chick remember the Jack Benny Show.... on the radio first, then tv... it was such an excellent thing to look forward to listening to, then later to watch.... but remember Chick.... how everyone was also encouraged, encouraged to buy 'lucky strikes'.....how many millions of millions of dollars were reaped by getting us hooked ......
Chick...... your not giving one more inch of your life or one more red cent to be a slave anymore !!!!!!! No B...... Way !!!! Right? Right!

[ December 06, 2005, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/06/05 06:16 PM

Glad to see you here Norma. I remember that show too and the Lucky Strike commercials. My elderly neighbor Marge said her doctor encouraged her to smoke as a way to keep her weight down when she was much younger. Her and her husband quit cold-turkey in their later years. Marge is still with us and going strong of course, with a few ailments, she's 82!

I told my kids this about drug dealers and as far as I'm concerned it could hold true for tobacco companies: None of these people care about your health and well-being they only want to get rich off of your misery. That always made my son really angry, the idea that someone would profit from him being hurt. It did the trick.

Take each small step and before you know it the journey has been made!

[ December 06, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/07/05 09:18 AM

Good evening Bug.... you are a treasure !!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/07/05 09:42 AM

Norma, I will not be a slave to the butt. No, Nay, Never, No more. Another day smokefree. Ladybug, I want to see 102...Yep.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/07/05 05:51 PM

Goodmorning Norma and Chickadee, just thought I'd sneak in here (with my blackeye) where it's comfy, cozy and filled with people of good nature.

Chickadee, you are winning this war on cigarettes, it is an honorable one!

Norma, thank you for that very nice compliment, I needed it.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/07/05 10:11 PM

14 days and counting. I have 7, better 14 days to go to get a lot of this nicotine poison out of my system. Right Dianne?
What do you mean by black eye, ladybug? Yes,I am winning a few battles...I guess the war is, if I don't develop any serious conditions from all the years of smoking.
Norma, what is your biggest fear to quitting. Mine is to not gain weight.

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/07/05 11:03 PM

Chickadee, I think you've already got a good deal of that poison out of your system.

You will not gain weight, keep repeating that.

When you get hungry don't sabotage yourself by having fattening foods handy. Don't just heal your body from the nicotine, heal it from all harmful things.

Pretzels with little or no salt on them is a good snacking alternative to potato chips. Lowfat popcorn is also a nutritious snack.

Go for it and empower yourself to a total healthier outlook.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/08/05 04:50 AM

that's a good question chick.... my biggest fear of quitting....... i have quit so many times.... and i know my thinking process now .. and it becomes even more squirrely when i'm trying not to smoke... i say things i regret..... either in good humour or because i am ticked off... i quit in january you know, made about 14 days, then blew up in a lawyer's office, (mind you the lawyer had her receptionist phone the following day, to say our daughter's bill was being reduced by a thousand dollars... one time my speaking out in anger paid off ).... but i am afraid of myself Chick... more than anything else i am afraid of myself.... how i respond to whatever.... thanks for the question. It is so great to know you are still free.... Good afternooon Ladybug !!!! Oh, i think it looks better this afternoon Bug ... much better.... love norm

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/08/05 09:15 PM

Norma, it's okay to speak out as gently as you can. People cannot always respond as we'd like them to and there are some who always want to run the show and control what others say. Just avoid those people. They can be the downfall of someone who is trying to quit smoking because they really do get on the nerves don't they? [Wink]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/09/05 01:51 AM

Norma, I had a friend who smoked and used to say, it's not the quitting that's hard, it's the not starting again!

Smoking is a very hard addiction to break and it takes a lot of willpower but regardless of how many times you've tried, it's never too late to continue trying. And, the knee-jerk reaction will eventually go away.

You can do it girl!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/09/05 04:29 AM

The clinic here in Vegas charges $299.00. One visit and (they use a lazer on your hand somewhere)violla the desire to smoke is gone. This woman is making a fortune and having wonderful results even with people that had smoked several packs a day for over 20 years, so there is hope for those who feel they are hopeless....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/09/05 10:37 AM

I saw that on the news the other night about the laser.
It sounds weird, but it's supposed to do the trick.
Just watch........the price will go up to $1,000 or more for one treatment if it proves to work.
Wanna bet?
Lynne

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 08:00 AM

Good morning to the ladies of the Smoking Section.

How are the resolutions coming along today?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 05:09 PM

Still smoke free. [Big Grin]
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 06:40 PM

Chickadee, I'm so glad to hear that! This is going to be a very joyous season for you. Consider it a true gift to yourself. [Wink]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 07:28 PM

Chick,
I am so proud of you. I think I'll use you as an example for my daughter. She is careful not to smoke around my grandkids, but smokes at work and in the car when she's alone. It's terrible for her health and I can already see the effects on her skin.

Hey that reminds me of another beneifit of quitting. You are giving yourself not only better health and several years of life, but I bet you're saving yourself a ton of wrinkles. I have a friend who is five years younger than I am. She has smoked for years and it shows. We went shopping for her a new house and the realtor thought she was my mother. She was so upset. It was probably because I had on made up and she just crawled out of bed, but the smoking has definitely added lines especially around her mouth.
Now she's talking face lift, but would never consider stopping the smoking.
I love her anyway.
smile

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 07:57 PM

A face lift wouldn't get rid of the wrinkles. She'd have to have laser treatment or acid peel. Ouch!

When I quit smoking, my face started glowing and I was suddenly receiving compliments on my skin. A lot more oxygen was getting there!

I'm so proud of you! This is a major accomplishment!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/10/05 09:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for giving each other positive re-inforcement!

It is a fact that smoking is very bad for your skin.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/11/05 07:49 PM

Good morning on this cold snowy day here on the north coast!

We could probably add to our smoking resolutions some other healthy ideas this holiday season. Usually when one smokes is it not common to have a cup of coffee with a yummy danish? Well this holiday season I have vowed to have much less candy and cookies around. I also vow not to make those recipes that call for cream cheese or sour cream. I remember the first year I adopted this resolution and how we all noticed we didn't have that holidays blues let down when Christmas was over.

Combining this strategy with your smoking resolutions is sure to leave you feeling better all around.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/12/05 08:58 AM

I want to thank (in no particular order) Chatty, Lsmith, JJ, Unique, Flipperjo, Danita, Bluebird, Ladybug, Smile, Dianne, Norma and TVC for keeping me honest.
Thank you for encouraging and empowering me to reach and obtain an important life goal. Without your support, I can honestly say it wouldn't have happened. I had real people to report to, smokers, exsmokers and nonsmokers alike. I think it's important to hear from all sides. You were there when I needed you. Thank you to those of you who read this topic and prayed without posting or posted in another section.

Ladybug, I am grateful you started this topic. All things happen for a reason(s).

In answer to your posts: I have coffee in the morning only and I am not one to eat sweets or junk food unless my lunch date is in town(......) I don't think any weight gain is going to happen AND I get lots of exercise walking around a very large grocery store these days.

Smile, I will pray with you for your daughter to quit. Maybe she could start by cutting back to a certain amount in her car and go from there.

Dianne, my face is beginning to get that oxygen glow, too. I think Danita's Arbonne cream is also helping. No wrinkles yet so I just might have half a chance at keeping them at bay for another few years. I do love my laugh lines tho...they become me.

Norma and TVC, I have you in my prayers for God to whisper, 'You are ready now.'
It will be soon.

Quitting smoking is the best Christmas gift I have given my family and especially my grandchildren. It is the best gift I have given myself in my lifetime.
I am blessed that I had all of you to help. Thank you from my heart.
Dotsie, We are just another example of your goals for BWS being accomplished.

((((Hugs)))

Chickadee
( [Big Grin] [Big Grin] A [Big Grin] [Big Grin] NON [Big Grin] [Big Grin] SMOKER [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/11/05 09:25 PM

WoooooHoooooo!!! Good job, Chick. You'll now become one of those obnoxious reformed smokers (like me) who constantly complain about the smokers!

Praise God.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/12/05 11:17 AM

Chickadee.....I have to confess I'm one of those reformed smokers that complain about smokers also.
I hope the other smokers in our "little group" will try to quick some day.
They to can do it!!
Honest
Lynne

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/13/05 12:21 AM

AWWWWWWWWWWW, don't complain about smokers. They are our friends too, right? [Wink]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/14/05 02:24 AM

Where are my good ladies today? How are those resolutions coming? Chickadee? TVC?

I did hear from our dear Norma but how about you other ladies?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/14/05 09:48 PM

I'm the same. TVC?
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/21/05 04:43 AM

Chickadee and TVC, it's been a while since you've checked in here.

How is everything going for you? How long has it been now?

Do you find it gets easier every day?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/21/05 06:45 PM

Hello all, 28 days today! I am blessed to have the support of my sisters.

My definition of Being ready is:

"when you're not reeeally ready but you hang on and say yes I am, yes I am...I really want to be." [Frown]

I know...clear as mud. [Wink]

chick

[ December 21, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/21/05 07:08 PM

Keep on goin' Chickadee!

I like the two rationales you've used here, just so right!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/21/05 07:30 PM

You go, Chicky Baby! I'm so darn proud of you!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/21/05 09:11 PM

Chick has it lickedddd
Chick has it lickedddd

You go ChickMeister!

JJ

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/22/05 03:12 AM

FANTASTIC - STUPENDOUS - ANTRONOMICAL and just plain wowee zowee for what you have accomplished. All kidding aside BRAVO, not an easy task but you've done it.....applauding!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/22/05 10:02 AM

CONGRATS CHICKADEE!!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/22/05 11:03 AM

Keep it up Chick.......there's no looking back now.....it's all ahead full blast!
Everyone is so proud of you......me included.
Lynne
P.S. Now will you help me get off these last ten pounds I want to lose?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/22/05 01:33 PM

As James Brown says...I feel good!
Thank you all.
LS, go to the topic about JJ changing her eating patterns. Meet you there.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/23/05 02:05 AM

Keep feelin' good Chickadee! I'm so happy to hear that you really have strong convictions to kick this habit!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/24/05 05:57 AM

I just wanted to wish my "smokers forum" a very Merry Christmas.

Thank you for giving me the honor of knowing all of you! You are special to me!

Keep those "no smoking" resolutions strong.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 12/31/05 02:46 AM

Wow, I haven't posted in here for a while but I felt like I didn't need to anymore.

You know why?

I know all of you who have quit smoking don't need to have any reminders anymore. It has just become your natural way of life now.

So how goes it Chickadee? Have you noticed you feel better too?

Have a very happy, healthy new year!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/01/06 10:32 PM

Bug.... i can't post here, because i am not even mentioning certain words at this point.. but suffice to say, i think i will take up serious drinking this year to replace certain things i have enjoyed doing in the past, and may just enjoy doing sometime in the future... when i get time.......
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/02/06 05:16 AM

Hey, Norma .
Guess what I think I will join you. Need a friend. Let me know .

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/02/06 06:03 AM

Nancy.... do you mean you'll join me in the serious drinking part, or in that other business, which i cant mention by name at this point in time? i mean, i could mention it, but at the moment i am not mentioning it....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/02/06 11:14 AM

Bug... just as i was putting together that post, a friend who lives out of town came in to visit. He is up in his eighties now, a widower, and from south america. His son brings him over, and then leaves so we can visit. He and i drink pots of coffee, chain smoke, and talk and talk, he tells me about his wife, his homeland, his former profession, and so many interesting things ... anyway, my point is, he came with a new package of cigerettes to 'share' with our 'coffee'.. i explained that i was going into my second day off cigerettes, and didn't want any, but i ended up smoking them with him.. actually i didn't want any, but he was extending them as a 'gift' a special gift,

so my secret resolution is blown, oh well,.... and it was going to be a surprise !! darn it. I was going to be clean for a week and surprise you and Chickadee.well, pretend you didn't read this okay.. because i might try again.... i dont know....

Nancy, of course you are welcome to join us ..
Chickadee has a new life now because Bug started this topic, and kept encouraging us, (did you know Bug that....''to save one life is to save the world' ... anyway Nancy, there are no dues or membership fees here --but--i could look after dues, if you people want to send money......
and Chick, i bet you've got a lot more money now in your pocket since you've quit this abominable
habit. .....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 08:16 AM

Hello my dear Norma. It's okay, a special friend came and resolutions went by the wayside. But remember back when we all said you needed to be ready, really ready? Well, that just hasn't happened yet for you. When it does, and it will, then you can tell us about it. Holidays are a hard time of year for many people to drop habits that have been like old friends to us.

You know, that's quite a compliment Norma, to say that I have saved a life. Let's just say I helped encourage one to save their own life.

Whether we do it with food, alcohol or cigarettes, it's important to adopt a healthy life style and it is never too late.

I really do care about each and everyone who is resolving to take better care of themselves. You really can do it and many of you have seen that you can!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 03:13 AM

Norma ,
There are no dues for drinking buddies. I use to drink and dance years ago a lot of whisky sours , but cannot do that today , but do a mean Champane bottle . I don't smoke , but eat meat and I am not fat just slim and not a vegatrian and have a lovely long neck . How is that now can i join you club. I can talk and talk and talk.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 05:56 AM

Well then, welcome in!

[ January 03, 2006, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 06:22 AM

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I am all smiles !
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 07:25 AM

Nancy, Whatever you do, don't start those knitting lessons at the same time you get into drinking. You'll get the yarn all tangled up and you could hurt yourself with those long needles and it would get messy and frustrating and then you'd need another drink. [Big Grin]
Louisa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 08:49 AM

aaaah, i shouldn't have used that phrase 'there's no dues or fees for membership'... it is an important phrase within the AA program, and the next part is 'only a desire to quit drinking'... i used it, because, like those whose lifes become 'unmanagable' because of drinking, my life often becomes unmanagable, because i am a nicotine addict.. The 12 step program is a way of life, but the fellowship of others is an essential part of the program. Just as good humor and humility is also an essential part in any recovery program, so it was in jest that i said, serious drinking was looking like a viable option to smoking last night..... I could no more go into serious drinking, than i could start racing around the track, my lungs are in poor condition from smoking.....

The 'words' i was not even wanting to mention was
cigerette', 'smoke' i was trying to banish them from my vocabularly even within my own mind.

[ January 03, 2006, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 09:36 AM

Lousia,
You got something there . I will get tangled up in the yard . I will look like the old cat getting tangled up . Have to watch the wine bottle . Could knit a cap for the wine bottle or a holder while I drink a glass of wine .

Norma , We could do a box of chocolates what kind do you like . Now let me see.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 09:56 AM

Dotsie, thank you for making possible the opportunity to visit and participate in this website and it's varied topics, it was appreciated ..... sincerely norma

[ January 03, 2006, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 02:36 PM

Norma, it sounds like you are thinking about taking on the beast?

Ladybug, I want to thank you for never giving up on posting here every day and checking up on all of us. You kept me focused and honest. Thank You.

Dotsie, what can I say? Connect, Encourage, Support? De de de de da deet de de de da...Ta Da. (chick tap dancing and taking a bow). Thank you Dots!
To all my friends here, this change I made in my life is a serious one. For your genuine concern and interest... I Thank You.

I want you to know Norma and TVC that I am here for you both when you're ready.

Nancy...what kind of chocolates are we talking? [Big Grin] I ate a whole box Christmas Eve. Not to worry, I do every year. Kind of a tradition.

Norma and TVC I am sending prayers your way today.

chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/04/06 08:46 AM

Chick,
How about the expensive Godvia . They are yummy and oh so good . Or what other .???? [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/04/06 08:51 AM

I LOVE Godiva chocolates!!!!!!!!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/03/06 11:10 PM

Chickadee, I was thinking about you today and noticed you haven't been posting much lately. Of course I figured you've been busy with the holidays so I'm really happy to see you posting.

I can't tell you how very happy I am that you have stuck to your guns and not smoked. To hear that you are feeling great makes me smile!

Whatever habits anyone wants to break, know that you can do it! The key is surrounding yourself with supportive people who won't sabotage your efforts. Daily reinforcement is important for awhile until you are strong enough to stand on your own. It sounds like you are.

[ January 03, 2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/04/06 12:10 AM

Blah! Blah! [Eek!] [Eek!]
Bluebird we did have good taste !

[ January 03, 2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/04/06 02:25 AM

My brother Vincent recently released from the hospital threw his pack of cigarettes away and hasn't smoked since, that ended a 37 year, two pack a day habit. He just said enough and hasn't looked back....If he can do it anyone can.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/04/06 02:31 AM

Wow, Chatty, that's great news!! How's he doing otherwise? Is your mom doing better now,too?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 12:12 AM

Chatty, I'm really glad to hear about Vincent too.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 12:43 AM

I want to help support my 22 year old daughter to stop smoking. She wants to have a baby but wants to quit smoking first.

Any tips on how she can break the habit? She said she wasn't going to smoke anymore after the first of the year.

Does hypnosis work? What about those patches? The gum?
Posted by: storylady

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 02:08 AM

Okay Vicki,
I am a Tobacco Prevention Specalist in Ohio. Here we have several ways she could quit. There is the Ohio Tobacco Quit Line she could call. She may call and ask if they have a referal to your states program. The number is 1-800-QUITNOW (1-800-86690. Our local hospital also has cessation classes as do the American Cancer Society and The American Lung Association. You can go to their web sites and they will direct you to your state Program There is also a program on line called Fresh Start through the Americam Cancer Society.
I would like to commend your daughter for wanting to give her to be child a fresh start. Just tell her to remember it took practice to learn to smoke and it takes practice to learn to stop smoking. So don't give up. PM me if you would like more information. I have tons of it and would be happy to share.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 03:46 AM

thanks for your help and tips. I went to the American Cancer Society and found a way to find all kinds of resources in my daughter's area. I've already printed them off and put them in the mail to her.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 05:52 PM

It's been 42 days since I quit smoking...but ah...who's counting? That would be MOI. I have lost my widdle fwend. I chew gum like a heifer and eat chocolate like there's no tomorrow. Now, I have to make a New Years resolution. Heck, I'm lost! I have had the same resolution for over 30 years. The same one I use for Lent too. I guess it boils down to giving up something I truly enjoy. This year I'm giving up chocolate? Not!
This year I'm giving up Bubblegum... [Big Grin]

Lady Godiva
[Wink]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 06:00 PM

Chick that is wonderful!
Chocolate beats smokes anyday!!!!!!!

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/05/06 06:07 PM

Chatty, what good news for Vincent. My prayers that he doesn't look back. Vicki, I quit the hard way? Or is it the easy way? I did cold Turkey. It worked for me but may not for your daughter. She is thinking about it and that is the first real step into accomplishing anything. I am going to give you a small sample of what I did.
I started making small changes a few weeks prior to really quitting.
Stopped smoking in my car.
Stopped smoking at the computer.
Stopped smoking in my home. Eventually I ran out of places to smoke.
I used water...when I wanted a cigarette, I took a swig of water. Cheap and readily available.
I am pleased to hear that your daughter is thinking about her child ahead of time. Could she come here for support Vicki? It surely helped me. I am proof that a support group kept me focused and more so...honest. I could post when I didn't succeed and when I did. I couldn't have done it without the support of Smokers/Nonsmokers/Reformed Smokers and the prayers of my sisters.
Good Luck to your daughter Vicki, I will keep her in my prayers.
Storylady...I didn't know that you were a Tobacco Prevention Specialist. What great news! We need all the info we can get here. Welcome.

chick
Posted by: storylady

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/06/06 01:59 AM

Ladies,
I am availible to anyone who wants support or information about Tobacco. I realize how hard it is to stop the addiction (yes nicotine is highly addictive)as I have a partner in "Domstic Bliss"
(boyfriend of 13 years) and a 22 yer old daughter who are addicted to tobacco.

I also know that bugging a person about their addiciton will not help. I let them know I am there to support them if they are ready to take that leap to give up their best friend. It is a very hard decsion

I know one of the reasons I am "well reared" as my Grandmother used to put it, is that my mother harped at me about my weight as a young impressionable girl. I take offence at the first mention of a sentence with the word weight in it. I could no more give up my chocolate for someone that kept after me to do that unless I truly believed that was what I wanted. And I am sure that is what tobacco users feel also.

I do cessation classes for teens that are wanting to quit tobacco and am astounded by how long they have been smoking and the amount of teen boys and girls (yes, girls) that use spit tobacco as an alternative to smoking. My heart goes out to them as many fail the first few times they try due to peer or other pressures in their life. All I can do Is be supportive and offer information if they ask. and that is what I am offering here for all my new friends

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/06/06 08:32 AM

Hey, Chick or Lady Godiva,
I use to love bubby gum and chewed it a lot as kids , but take the caps off now . Haaaa.... Don't most smokers go to chewing gum to help the quit ? So, you don't have to feel like you need something in your hand all the time. My daughter had to stop smoking because of allergy induced asma . It was hard for her , but had made it.

this bubble gum one show be in Remember thread . Humm.....

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/07/06 03:20 PM

Yes Nancy, chewing gum helps many people quit smoking and sometimes they become addictive to the gum. I chewed it as a kid. Remember when they would have the movie star cards in with one flat piece of gum? I didn't know who Marilyn Munroe was until she showed up on my Bubble Gum card. Wish I had that one now.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/08/06 02:19 AM

Chick,
I do remember the cards in the flat bubble gum and what other was there the round bubble gum that got stuck to you teeth a lot ? Oh, if I had those cards today . What would they be worth. I loved bubble gum .

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/08/06 03:16 AM

You could probably retire a wealthy woman thats how much they're worth today, ho hum...threw all mine away too.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 01/14/06 03:35 AM

It's time to check in and let me know how your progress is going.

Besides Chick, who else has given up smoking?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 02/22/06 07:26 PM

I just wanted to bring this back up and let you all know how important you all have been in my life changing decision to quit smoking. I am still smoke free since Thanksgiving Day. If anyone is just thinking about it, post here. Believe me, if I can do it...anyone can. I didn't gain any weight or get cranky or unruly either. My only problem...I have TONS of energy and no where to expend it. I need my own business. I have always wanted to open a restaurant.Hmmmm...(cont'd in another post)
ANYWHOO, I wanted to drop back here and say a grateful, Thank You.

chickadee

[Wink] "I think I can....but YOU know I can." [Wink]
(my secret boomer motto)
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Smoking Section Only - 02/23/06 12:36 AM

chick, so you still get the urge to smoke? IF so, what do you do? I know soemone who chews that nasty gum. Another person chews on toothpicks.

Congrats. Do you feel better?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 02/24/06 11:44 PM

Dotsie, I got the urge to smoke twice since I quit and that was early in the game. I occassionally chew gum after I eat, but not that nasty stuff. I chew spearmint gum. I feel great...almost too good as I have too much energy and not enough to expend it on. I am taking care of that situation as we speak. Thank you for asking.
Anyone else ready to quit these days?
chick
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/02/06 04:41 AM

Hi smokers and non-smokers. I am a smoker who tried to quit 4 times - still smoking. I am an addict and we are often treated like criminals. It's shameful that the government allows big business (cig companies) to add higher levels of nicotine and other poisons annually to keep smokers addicted. It is said that quiting smoking is worse than kicking heroin. I know people do it and I think about it every time I light up. I don't drink, drug, or have sex (not exactly by choice). My vices are eating and smoking. I weigh 114-116 so I'm not worried about eating. After reading your comments I'll think about quiting, again. Thanks, Saundra

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/03/06 08:58 AM

Saundra, please do. You sound so healthy otherwise. Why harm yourself when you have the power within to make the change.

We'll be your cheering section.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/05/06 10:26 PM

Saundra, I have been meaning to get back here to talk to you. I only have Wed and Sunday off so I am limited these days. However, I do have time for a smoker who has a desire to perhaps...Quit?
I quit right here, with the help of all the girls and I am still smoke free. Just say the word and I will make a point of coming here to support and encourage you.
Dotsie is right...the power lies within. It is like a seed - it just needs to be nurtured in order to take root and grow.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/09/06 04:52 AM

Hi everyone and Dotsie and Chickadee. My week was stressfull and got more so on my days off (Tues/Wed) so I guess I'll be posting in the work topics now, too.

I'm sure you heard about Dana Reeve who never smoked and died 2 days ago. A tragedy!

I quit smoking about 4 years ago with the help of a hypnotist. It worked until 2 weeks later when I got the call that my dad was in the hospital. I flew to LA - he went into hospice and died. Decades earlier, when I lived in LA, I quite smoking and we had a 6.5 point earthquake. Want to hear more? Fuggedaboutit!

Last year, a woman I work with said she never believed in bad luck until she met me! I just thought it was my life. I was in an elevator that malfunctioned in Nov. 2004, extreme pain, loss of work, lots of smoking, pain pills, and muscle relaxers. Just got off of short-term disability again because I reinjured myself late December. Blah, blah, blah.

I would suggest posting a bad luck contest but I can't imagine what the prize would be - I'm afraid to suggest anything. Ha, ha, Saundra

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/09/06 05:08 AM

Hi, again. There are non-smoking clinics and they are very expensive, as was the hypnotist I used. Don't forget that everyone in AA and NA are smoking because they stopped drinking and/or drugging - smoking is all they have left and it is also an addiciton. Saundra

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/09/06 07:25 AM

Saundra,
This may sound harsh, but bad luck us bad luck. We all have it at times.

Smoking is an addiction.

The bad luck is related to the bad luck only in that the bad luck can be an excuse to go back to an addiction.

Apparently you weren't really ready to stop. When you are, you will.

Hopefully that will be soon and we can help you through it by being a sounding board.

smile

BTW, Ignore the woman who told you you made her believe in bad luck. Believe you are lucky and you will be.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 03/09/06 01:30 PM

Saundra,
I want to encourage you to make the effort once again. It's never too late and there's no way I can describe how good you are going to feel afterwards. You have to be there! YOU CAN DO IT! SMILINIZE is so right when she says, "when you're ready, you'll do it." It's the truth. Everything else is just rehearsal. I quit four years ago and I just laid them down and that was that. I was ready. REALLY READY. No lip service. READY. Here's wishing you the very best in your efforts! We're here for you!

JJ

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/06/06 03:57 PM

I am still smoke free since Thanksgiving 2005. That's 23 weeks I think. Thought I'd post to encourage anyone who is trying to quit smoking...or anything for that matter.
Have faith in yourself.
chick

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/06/06 05:09 PM

Great news Chick!
Keep it up.
I'm still "trying" but not as hard as I should be.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/06/06 06:40 PM

chick, are you doing anything to replace the habit like chewing nicotine gum or anything?

CONGRATS!

Do you feel much better?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/07/06 07:27 AM

Chick, I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. I tried. I puffed, choked, coughed, and threw the thing away. But from what my smoking friends say, you should now be promoted to SUPERWOMAN!

Congratulations!!!

smile
Posted by: downdog

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/11/06 01:51 AM

Saundra, I so understand, I quit 3 months ago after trying many times and not even getting that far. This time I decided I needed a little help and have been using the nicorette lozenges. They seem to be better than the gum and are better than smoking. I smoked for 20+ years so I know it'll take some time and persistance, if I need a crutch so be it. Good luck, KEEP TRYING NOT MATTER WHAT
Posted by: europa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/11/06 05:26 PM

Two years ago on 1st April I smoked my very last cigarette.....

The fact that this momentous event was followed, within hours, by my heart attack made the moment even more memorable. Memorable because - despite ignoring all the warnings for years - I am among the 'lucky ones' who are still around to tell the tale.

I don't know why I chose to ignore all the advice of 'everyone'. Pressure of work - Always away from home - Constant long journeys driving on my own - Most of my friends smoked too!!! So many 'reasons' that some people always saw as excuses.... No I didn't want to give up!!! It was MY life - and MY choice - and that was the end of it! Well it nearly was 'the end of it' - My life that is.

But I survived, and I'm still the same 'happy go lucky' person, though I will admit, I'm just a little bit (well quite a lot), better off financially than I was before I became a 'non smoking senior citizen'. But I'm not one of those ex-nicotine addicts who 'tut tut's every time anyone with a cigarette comes near. I remember quite clearly how nasty some people were to me (and others) when I smoked... I could never be like that!

But I will confess that I have, on just a couple of occasions felt like having a cigarette. The first time was when I was allowed to drive 'on my own' again following the HA. When I shut the car door, latched the seat belt, turned the key and moved off... habit locked in - and just for a fraction of a second - made me think 'cigarette' - and I dismissed it straight away! The second was not too long ago, having been out to a nice meal with the family and when the coffee was served, that 'cigarette thought' re-appeared... But you know what? It was followed immediately by my brain saying to me "Cigarette? But you DON'T smoke".

Then I KNEW I had won - and it feels GREAT!!!
europa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/16/06 03:18 AM

BRAVO for you and the courage not only to stop but to keep strong in your decision....Glad you're still here too by the way.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/17/06 03:15 AM

Hi, ladies. You re all so strong and I want to congratulate you on your strengths. You're positive role models and very impressive women. Thank you for all of your input. Saundra [Smile]

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/17/06 05:14 AM

Europa, did you have surgery after your heart attack?

Congrats on being able to kick on the habit.

Saundra,so how's it going?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/17/06 02:06 PM

Hi Dotsie...
No I didn't have surgery, but was in an 'oxygen helmet' in 'reanimation' for seven days before being moved to the Intensive Care Unit. I had 'double pneumonia' too, so that didn't help either.

But I'm fine (sort of) now - though I'll never be 'fit' again. But I'm ALIVE - that's the main thing - and life IS wonderful!
europa.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/18/06 04:58 AM

I've never heard of this treatment. Perhaps your oxygen helmet is our oxygen tent, but I don't know what reanimation is.

Glad to here you didn't have surgery. Why won't you be fit again? Don't they want you to exercise?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/19/06 07:53 AM

Hi Dotsie,
Thank you for your interest... Well the 'oxygen helmet' was a device they were trying out at the hospital in Milano where I was taken... It's like this (though here it's over a child) and is placed and fixed/sealed tightly over the patients head. It is far more efficient - so they claim - than a standard 'tent'
http://www.hbot4u.com/trinity.jpg

There are varying levels of recovery in some major hospitals here ....
Re-animation is where, upon arrival you are considered to be 'a lost case'.

That is followed by the Intensive Care Unit where you are recovered
a)If you survived the 'Re-an'.
OR
b)If when you arrived you were 'pretty bad' but not 'almost gone'.
c) Specialist units are the next level. i.e. Cardiology, Pneumology, Surgery, Maternity etc. etc.

As for being 'fit again' well - my heart was damaged, kidneys too. Lungs could be better, but I can now manage to sleep on just one pillow and on my back....., and I can - all be it VERY slowly - climb 4 flights of stairs. I had an operation on my leg in the 80's following an accident, and since then use a walking stick. I excercised at home on an 'excercise bike' but that is now becoming more painful because 'arthritis' is starting to set into my hands, wrists and knees...

But despite all these 'trials and tribulations' - life remains VERY, VERY sweet. I enjoy what I have - and feel it is such a pity when so many don't appreciate what they DO have and just 'bitch' about everything!

europa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/19/06 01:54 AM

Four flights of steps is a lot!

Isn't the bike riding good for the arthritis?

I've never heard of the helmet. Anyone from the states ever heard of that?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/19/06 02:40 AM

Europa if you have access to a heated pool try exercising in it as there is no strain against any muscles and yet all the benefits are enjoyed. Most spas for arthritic patients do water aerobics of one kind or another....Dotsie I never heard of this helmet either but am looking for info pertaining to it, sounds interesting.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/19/06 11:23 AM

Thank you all for your interest. I don't have access to a pool as I live in a very small village (1020 souls) right in the Alps near the Swiss border..... The nearest town with - possibly - facilities such as you described is about 1 1/2 hours drive away....

The oxygen helmet I showed is similar to the one they were 'testing' when they used it on me... This was the only thing I could find on the web to show what it was like. Here are the other details for it....

http://www.hbot4u.com/trinity.html

europa

Re: Smoking Section Only - 04/19/06 10:10 PM

europa, have you always lived there? It sounds lovely, but I don't know if I could live in such a remote place. I like the way you refer to the town folk as souls.

Re: Smoking Section Only - 05/11/06 03:16 AM

Hi ya'all. Dotsie, I'm smoking more .... thanks for asking!

I was stuck in the elevator at work Monday afternoon with a coworker for 30 minutes. Yes, the same elevator I was hurt in 1-1/2 years ago. We called the Fire Dept. 3 times for help & the elevator guy got there in one hour. My coworker got us out in 30 minutes - he's my hero! While doing the Incident Report I broke down crying because I was so frightened while in the elevator - terrified my friend would get hurt trying to get us out and that it would fall again and I would be injured even more. It's taken me two days to recover emotionally.

Can you imagine the prank calls from coworkers on my day off yesterday? My answer -the elevator is a lemon, it's not bad luck, and I'm giving the escalator a shot at me from now on. I return to work tomorrow with hope. Ha! Saundra

Re: Smoking Section Only - 05/12/06 12:25 AM

How scary. What floor were you on when it got stuck? And what got hurt?

Re: Smoking Section Only - 05/13/06 02:34 AM

Dotsie, another coworker and I got in on the 1st floor & pushed the button for the 3rd floor. It went up, slammed to a stop & we hit the walls, fell (we're not sure how far), it slammed to another stop & we hit the walls again, then went back up to the 3rd floor. We ran like ... you know. We both got soft tissue injuries. I have a bad spine anyway and have since had almost constant pain in my lower back and muscle spasms in my right hip. Pain pills and muscle relaxers help.

So, after being trapped in it Monday, nobody will ride in the elevator with me - ever, including the security guards! The escalator is having its shot at me now. If I get hurt on it, I'm quitting this job.

I went back in it after the first 6 months because I didn't want to be one of those people who are afraid of elevators - now I'm one of those people who are afraid of elevators. I guess we have to be afraid of something!